Old June 21, 2002, 10:31   #1
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 02:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Firaxis promise SMAC update!
An update for SMAC to allow it to run under Win2000/XP has been announced by Firaxis.

Of course, what WE all loyal SMAC gamers want to know is, why then can they not spend some time bringing out another patch and fixing some of those irritating bugs?
Old June 21, 2002, 10:38   #2
Comstr
Prince

That seems a strange idea. Go to the time to work with a new OS, but leave some of the bugs in? Where was this announced, and can Apolyton get enough preassure to get them to fix them?

Hmm, only reason they would be doing it is if Smac was STILL selling in some number after all these years? Why else would they do it?
Old June 21, 2002, 12:00   #3
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 04:59
Quote:
Why else would they do it?
cause they are really nice people?
Old June 21, 2002, 12:06   #4
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Comstr
Hmm, only reason they would be doing it is if Smac was STILL selling in some number after all these years? Why else would they do it?

Or maybe they intend to use the engine again and would have to adapt it to XP anyway. A little goodwill now, a new game...whenever? Possible?
Old June 21, 2002, 13:51   #5
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 19:59
Is this from the Firaxis website or a news item somewhere else? Anybody have the link?
Old June 21, 2002, 13:58   #6
Clear Skies
Prince

It's right up there on the articles list...

Direct link is simply http://apolyton.net/misc/
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old June 21, 2002, 14:41   #7
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

It is still selling, believe me. I bought a copy last week.
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old June 22, 2002, 01:40   #8
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 03:59
I cannot really buy into this stuff. Why should they want to make a compatibility update of SMAC when they apparently don't want to sell SMAX any more (which apparently contains the last fixes also for SMAC)?
Old June 22, 2002, 04:27   #9
Comstr
Prince

After checking out the site, I've never read that there was a problem with XP/2000 with Smac in the 1st place?

And they seemed not have patched SMG any furhter, so it looks like ther're being cheap about it.
Old June 22, 2002, 18:02   #10
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Adalbertus,

Firaxis I beleive would like nothing more than to continue selling SMAX. The decision to not do another print and release lies solely with the publisher. For whatever reason EA (I believe) chose not to continue distributing the game.

Shame if you ask me.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 22, 2002, 18:19   #11
Cesa
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:59
I haven't had any problems under neither 2k nor XP. Does anyone know of any reported problems?
Old June 24, 2002, 21:10   #12
Sikander
King

Check back a little while, there are several threads where people have been having a tough time getting SMAC to run with these operating systems. As I am still running 95 and 98 respectively, I haven't paid much attention.
Old June 26, 2002, 09:50   #13
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

There is apparently a compatibility problem with XP and AXstart.

I never had that, but then I use the no-cd crack for both smac and smax, which shortcuts right to the .exe program. That's apparently worked for some others with XP problems.

Major problem I have with XP is the edge-of-map freeze. Manually move a unit to any of the top (or bottom) row of tiles and the game freezes if you try to have that unit interact with anything else (another unit, Unity Seedpod, etc). Only solution we've found is to put it on automatic for that move and the AI takes it and moves it, then one can resume control and play again.

None of the other usual suspect crashes, though. No interceptor bug (may be more of a memory size isseu, though).

G.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:12   #14
fluffy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie
None of the other usual suspect crashes, though. No interceptor bug (may be more of a memory size isseu, though).
Are you saying interceptors do not crash the program when intercepting in your XP setup?

I don't think it is a memory issue - more to do with win98 wheel mouse driver?
Old June 26, 2002, 14:44   #15
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

I have not had any problems with SMAC in XP. Have not tried SMAX, though.
Old June 26, 2002, 15:07   #16
Claw919
Warlord

No crashes for me (well, no more than there were under 9x anyway) under Windows 2000 either.
Old June 29, 2002, 18:03   #17
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Claw919
No crashes for me (well, no more than there were under 9x anyway) under Windows 2000 either.
Crahses for me on XP, always. This happend with nearly every TBS game....Civ2, 3, AC, AX....Another reason why I switched back to 98.
Old June 29, 2002, 18:09   #18
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 04:59
Tassadar, have you already tried opening the Alpha Centauri.ini file and switching ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0 to 1?
Old June 29, 2002, 18:12   #19
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by M@ni@c
Tassadar, have you already tried opening the Alpha Centauri.ini file and switching ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0 to 1?
Yes.

I think its a problem with XP. Almost every TBS game crashes no matter what, usually by the computer reading the CD-ROM drive, autoplay coming up, and then kernel32.dll crashing.

But this could partly be caused by the fact that I upgraded instead of doing a clean install. That could have some potienally serious problems, but I'm not going to clean install. I have a compaq (That could also be a problem too....) and formatting all of the paritions would keep me from getting 98 back in the case that I need it.
Old June 30, 2002, 07:58   #20
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by fluffy

Are you saying interceptors do not crash the program when intercepting in your XP setup?
Right - I never disabled the wheelmouse from any of my rigs - just too convenient to give up, especially in smac/x for scrolling down base lists, workshop, etc.

My previous desktop (a P3 running win98, 256 memory) and my current laptop (P3 winME, 128 memory) both suffer from the occasional interceptor bug. never had it (since last November) in my current rig (P4, winXP, 512 memory)

Hence my comment that I thought it might be a memory issue.

G.
Old July 1, 2002, 02:09   #21
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
I think its a problem with XP. Almost every TBS game crashes no matter what, usually by the computer reading the CD-ROM drive, autoplay coming up, and then kernel32.dll crashing.
If the autorun is really the problem, I think that can be disabled in the operating system somehow. I did a quick search on the MS knowledge base (key of "disable cd autorun") and got this reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q155217 ; it is supposedly good for NT4 and Win2K, but may reasonably be expected to also work for XP - or you could look through the knowledge base a little more closely.

Personally, I'd be more suspicious of the classic culprits, directX or sound and video drivers. I know from personal experience that newer is not always better in this area, so don't rule out trying older drivers or ones for NT4 or Win2K.
Old July 1, 2002, 09:08   #22
fluffy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie
Right - I never disabled the wheelmouse from any of my rigs - just too convenient to give up, especially in smac/x for scrolling down base lists, workshop, etc.

My previous desktop (a P3 running win98, 256 memory) and my current laptop (P3 winME, 128 memory) both suffer from the occasional interceptor bug. never had it (since last November) in my current rig (P4, winXP, 512 memory)

Hence my comment that I thought it might be a memory issue.
I have W98 with 512M, but get the crashes - the conclusion may be that XP has solved whatever was crashing SMAC, which would be great news if it is true!
Old July 3, 2002, 09:38   #23
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 22:59
SMAC runs fine on my machine. I have Windows 2000. I like Windows 2000. No more blue screens.
Old July 6, 2002, 18:31   #24
Proserpine
Warlord

This is good news - if true - b'cos I have been unable to get SMAC to run at all under XP (Wind2000 no problem).

I'm going to try a couple of ideas I have seen here. I miss that game!

There is a message somewhere (can't remember now whether Firaxis or EA) which states specifically that SMAC was not designed to run under XP and there are no plans to support it.

I have seen the post in poly/misc, but have not been able to find any confirmation. Any more info. on this?
Old July 8, 2002, 23:20   #25
Ned
King

Local Time: 18:59
I get the edge unit crash and the interceptor scramble crash. I was just now checking back in to see if these problems have been solved, but I guess they have not.

In recent weeks, I have also been getting a very large echo - about a second delay - on voice overs.

Is there a way of disabling the wheelmouse in XP? This might affect the interceptor scramble problem.
Old July 11, 2002, 13:52   #26
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Does anyone know when the firaxis patch will come out?

-J.B.-
Old July 13, 2002, 18:01   #27
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Never mind I found out.
-J.B.-
Old July 16, 2002, 14:02   #28
Simple Girl
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Buloch
Never mind I found out.
-J.B.-
Care to share?
Old July 16, 2002, 16:47   #29
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

The Firaxis team is developing a patch and it's currently a beta version so hopefully it'll be out soon. They said whenever they feel it's time they will release it.
You can read this thread and here the discussion yourself.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=55209
-J.B.-
Old September 13, 2002, 14:06   #30
Geez
Settler

Local Time: 20:59
"opening the Alpha Centauri.ini file and switching ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0 to 1?"

This worked for me under Win2000 Pro after downloading Service Pack 3 and installing all updates.
Thanks!