Old June 21, 2002, 22:06   #31
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The process. It's clearly an attempt to gain another official position for his party, while holding on to another in an (as I see it) unfair manner. If you disagree and can supply my with reasoning behind his request aside from that, then I may change my opinion. The only problem I see people having with me is that I don't mince words, and I say things honestly rather than flowery to make people like me.
Old June 21, 2002, 22:14   #32
Timeline
King

Local Time: 22:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
If you can give me a reason why we, in this game, should treat the situation between President and Vice-President (2 sepereately elected positions) the same as a minister and a non-official position chosen by the minister the same, then I will certainly consider it. But the way I see it now, I, well, I don't agree with it.
Do I have to repeat myself again? Well, ok, if I have to

As for your opinion....even though you were rude and quite clearly biased, I will respect your decision as the President of our nation. I don't agree with what your saying, but I won't argue with you. Jonny came in second place in the votes last time and I suspect he will win this election hands down. I was merely asking a question.
Old June 21, 2002, 23:02   #33
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:00
Johnny should automatically get the position, he is the deputy because he was second in the election. The reason why the Vice Presidentcy is different is that the deputy, Nuclear Master, is not an active citizen. However, I realize that since deputies have not previously been discussed we should have a poll on them. It is the most democratic way (sorry Timeline but it would be too hypocritical to unilaterally support you )

I personally do not know why the president and vice president were elected separately .

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 21, 2002, 23:06   #34
Timeline
King

Interesting and well thought out points civman
Old June 21, 2002, 23:10   #35
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

to be honest, i don't like the idea of abandoning a position in favor of another one, but thats just my opinion.
Old June 21, 2002, 23:32   #36
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
to be honest, i don't like the idea of abandoning a position in favor of another one, but thats just my opinion.
Abandoning? Why do you always use such strong words?? Jonny will do an excellent job, he was favored strongly in the polls anyway.

As far as transferring, I saw things go bad once and I don't want it to happen again. I think I can be useful as a VP. It's time we get ppl dedicated to this game in office and get things moving.
Old June 22, 2002, 00:04   #37
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

But why should someone that people may not even heard of automatically get the post? Why is it that people should be allowed to 'hop' from position to position? If someone no longer wants to hold a particular office (read: is attempting to jump from one to the other mid-term), then we should have another election. It's just far too easy to manipulate things if you can simply place a deputy in a position whenever you want.
Old June 22, 2002, 00:57   #38
Timeline
King

Oh ok Trip.

Read:

As for your opinion....even though you were rude and quite clearly biased, I will respect your decision as the President of our nation. I don't agree with what your saying, but I won't argue with you. Jonny came in second place in the votes last time and I suspect he will win this election hands down. I was merely asking a question.
Old June 22, 2002, 02:07   #39
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

In some countries, it is not uncommon for a person in office to run for another office without resigning, unless the person wins the second office.

While I am not debating the merits, pro or con, it is done IRL.

Does our Code of Laws specifically forbid this practice?
Old June 22, 2002, 02:09   #40
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As seen in his first poll, Jonny will do his job with the same performance as Timeline did.
Old June 22, 2002, 02:12   #41
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
As seen in his first poll, Jonny will do his job with the same performance as Timeline did.

lol.....

(his graphics are better though )
Old June 22, 2002, 08:08   #42
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:00
Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
Johnny should automatically get the position, he is the deputy because he was second in the election. The reason why the Vice Presidentcy is different is that the deputy, Nuclear Master, is not an active citizen. However, I realize that since deputies have not previously been discussed we should have a poll on them. It is the most democratic way (sorry Timeline but it would be too hypocritical to unilaterally support you )

I personally do not know why the president and vice president were elected separately .
hi ,

last line > because this would be the most democratic way , ....

one can or should not be able to jump from one office to the other , not in between office terms , .....

as for the VP , well he should not only be elected seperatly , he should also focus on the entire game , so in case the President is in an other country , either visiting the Joanne , or the great banana in the jungle , the VP should be able to go on , ....

however certain important plans should not be dealth with , except when they are put somewhere in writing , true the office of the President , ....

a person should only be able to run for an other office before a term is finished , ....

no person should be able to leave is job , and switch into an other within the same term , ....

should this not be in the constitution , .....

have a nice day

have a banana , .....
Old June 22, 2002, 11:39   #43
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Why should it be this in? It's not IRL.

I would like to see it this way. Since IRL people spend too much time campaigning and not dealing with issues, but in this game, the campaigning isn't such a big deal.

If the code of laws doesn't prohibit it, then I don't see why it is an issue. If you don't want it to be allowed, then make a code of laws amendment poll. I could care less either way currently.
Old June 22, 2002, 13:23   #44
Kuciwalker
Deity

He should have to resign before running. That way we can hold elections faster, besides the fairness issue.

Jonny can't become IE Minister because he wasn't elected. Everyone needs to be elected to fill a post.
Old June 22, 2002, 14:20   #45
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Ralph sticking it to him.

hurrah!
Old June 22, 2002, 14:24   #46
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
In some countries, it is not uncommon for a person in office to run for another office without resigning, unless the person wins the second office.

While I am not debating the merits, pro or con, it is done IRL.

Does our Code of Laws specifically forbid this practice?
Which countries are we talking about here though?
Nicaragua?
Old June 22, 2002, 14:29   #47
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:

Nicaragua?
actually, democratic VP joe leiberman was from Connecticut (i think) and they let him run for VP while still holding his Senator's spot, or whatever he was... i forget, so he didnt LOSE his job.

but thats not whats happeneing here, we're having simultaneous elections
Old June 22, 2002, 14:30   #48
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Nicaragua?
hi ,

that is why some of those countries are called "banana republic's" , ........

, we should not go in to that direction , .... (!)

have a nice day
Old June 22, 2002, 19:36   #49
Switch
Prince

First, though I'm jonny's a great guy and would be great to fill in Linney's spot, he was never elected so we must elect a new IE Minister to keep up at least some semblance of Democracy. Sure, jonny can fill in for linney while as of now, but once the elections are done, he's back to regular citizen (that is, unless he gets voted in).

Secondly, I fon't mean to pick hairs, but Trip, it's spelled candidacy, not canidacy.
Old June 22, 2002, 23:29   #50
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

WE ARE a banana republic...uh democracy, but whatever. And kring is right, happens all the time. Mel Carnahan (ex- and dead governor of Missouri, my state so i know) was governor but ran for senator. Bush was governor of Texas when running for prez, and GOre was still VP.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 23, 2002, 06:57   #51
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
WE ARE a banana republic...uh democracy, but whatever. And kring is right, happens all the time. Mel Carnahan (ex- and dead governor of Missouri, my state so i know) was governor but ran for senator. Bush was governor of Texas when running for prez, and GOre was still VP.
hi ,

, okay , but you cant start to compare our game with real live , ... , ...anyway , we should keep things more civilized then in real live , and we should have more democratic rules , .... , also we should give more people the chance to join in the game , ...

have a nice day