Old June 21, 2002, 23:32   #1
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 22:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Minister of Imperial Expansion Campaign Thread
The current candidates:

Jonny (DIA)
skywalker (UFC)
GodKing (I)

The candidates are encouraged to discuss and debate, and all people are encouraged to ask questions.
Old June 21, 2002, 23:39   #2
Wojit
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Jonny... More often than not, when building a new city, will you create a poll for public opinon, or just go for it?
Old June 21, 2002, 23:54   #3
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Why should you vote for Jonny as the new Imperial Expansion Minister?

Firstly, I strive to make our cities the most efficent and productive, however that can be achieved. Usually, that means looking for the most ideal and productive terrain. You may recall that in my previous campaign, I supported no overlap and little wasted tiles. Well, since we started in the middle of a stupid jungle, I have pretty much tossed all that out of the window. Now, city placement is pretty much all about good terrain.

Second, you should vote for me because I have experience in the position that the other candidates lack. As the deputy IE minister for Timeline, I have gotten/will get some experience of what it's like to be IE minister, especially during this week, when I am basically 'taking over' for Timeline since he is much less available and has stepped down from his post to run for VP.

Thirdly, I promise always to listen to the voice of the people. I would never just place a city without consenting the people first, because that's not democratic, and this is a Democracy game. I strive to make the people happy.

Finally, I promise that the actions I take will not be completely influenced by political parties. It will be influenced mainly by the will of the people. Politics will influence it less, but that doesn't mean I think politics are worthless. I am more of a moderate than some other people when it comes to politics. For me, what the people desire, want, and demand will always be my first priority. The people's happiness is more important than political parties, although how much more important it is can depend.

Becuase of this, I encourage all party members and non-party members to vote for me, not just DIA members, although their vote is definitely accepted. Vote not based on your party, but vote based on what YOU think makes a good IE minister.

In conclusion, I encourage the citizens of Apolyton to vote for Jonny for Imperial Expansion Minister. Jonny is the best choice for Apolyton!
Old June 21, 2002, 23:58   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

whats your position on agressive expansion?

the french suitaton?

how often do you think we should build settlers?
Old June 22, 2002, 00:08   #5
Jonny

Agressive expansion is good, but not too much. We shouldn't build so much army that it costs too much to maintain, taking too much funding away from science/taxes/happiness.

The French Situation: As I stated above, I'm definitely more moderate than some other DIA members. I say we kill the French and take over their lush, fertile lands.

Building Settlers: As soon as there's three people in a city, a settler should either be finished or being built. Most of the time we can alternate a settler with a military unit or two. We continue doing that until there is no more land. (Note: we should never build 2 settlers in a row, we need time to build other stuff too!)
Old June 22, 2002, 00:21   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny
Agressive expansion is good, but not too much. We shouldn't build so much army that it costs too much to maintain, taking too much funding away from science/taxes/happiness.
define too much please.
Old June 22, 2002, 00:30   #7
Jonny

Too much in the sense of maintenance means a noticeable loss in the science rate or in cash flow.

Too much in the sense of aggressive expansion means making it into the only thing we do and the only way we expand, i.e., obsession with agressive expansion.
Old June 22, 2002, 00:32   #8
Timeline
King

"Minister of Imperial Expansion Campaign Thread"

Brings back some memories

Last edited by Timeline; June 22, 2002 at 02:33.
Old June 22, 2002, 02:24   #9
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny
Now, city placement is pretty much all about good terrain.
Why are you proposing 3 lousy sites (2 jungle, 1 corrupt) in the other thread then?
Old June 22, 2002, 03:33   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 03:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Why are you proposing 3 lousy sites (2 jungle, 1 corrupt) in the other thread then?
Are those not the only positions avalible? We are either going to be in a jungle, or we are going to be out of a jungle but in a position where corruption is rampant...
Old June 22, 2002, 03:39   #11
Harovan
staff

No. See Timelines proposal in the mentioned thread. I proposed this location long ago. It's the only reasonable. Alas, the free settler was wasted. We could have waited to secure the "great jungle site" of Thebes with the 5th or 6th settler, and enjoy meanwhile a doubled production.
Old June 22, 2002, 03:44   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 03:02
Quote:
No. See Timelines proposal in the mentioned thread. I proposed this location long ago. It's the only reasonable. Alas, the free settler was wasted. We could have waited to secure the "great jungle site" of Thebes with the 5th or 6th settler, and enjoy meanwhile a doubled production.
Ah yes.. This is why I'm not running for Imperial Expansion.

But yeah, then I must ask the same question as Sir Ralph. Then why are you offering us three crappy positions?
Old June 22, 2002, 12:38   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Ah yes.. This is why I'm not running for Imperial Expansion.

But yeah, then I must ask the same question as Sir Ralph. Then why are you offering us three crappy positions?

whats this? the DIA tearing at it's own seams?!?!

seriously, the guy doesnt have much to work with. that one city is the only viable city for now, he wouldnt have much of a job if they plopped those two cities down
Old June 22, 2002, 12:41   #14
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 23:02
I'm sorry I've started campaigning late, I just got on.

In a nutshell, I support rapid expansion, but not to the detriment of military or other concerns. I'll try and find the best city sites. I support building a city in the area our warrior just uncovered, and continuing exploration to find more good sites.
Old June 22, 2002, 13:10   #15
Jonny

Quote:
We don't have much to work with, that's why.

If I was playing this game, that's probably where I'd put cities. If Timeline had wanted me to include his ideas in the poll, he would have told me, becuase he told me to take over his duties, and I am his deputy.

Anyways, I'll propose better city sites when we find some decent land.

If you don't like my ideas, run against me.
Old June 22, 2002, 13:14   #16
Kuciwalker
Deity

I call on the UFC (the Coalition) to support me in the upcoming election. I won't build tons of stupid jungle cities like Jonny.

I would also like to call attention to Jonny's presumptiousness in posting "official" polls about IE topics. This is dangerous to democracy.
Old June 22, 2002, 13:49   #17
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
I support building a city in the area our warrior just uncovered
Are you aware that this city will be at least 1/2 or even 2/3 corrupt and thus useless?
Old June 22, 2002, 13:52   #18
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:

Are you aware that this city will be at least 1/2 or even 2/3 corrupt and thus useless?
agreed. unless we do a palace jump fairly soon (i'm against palace jumping) that city won't be useful for quite a while.

after we conquer france we'll expand more rapidly
Old June 22, 2002, 13:53   #19
Kuciwalker
Deity

It's the closest viable city position, with the possible exception of the river mouth in the jungle NW of us. It's a choice between the jungle and corruption.
Old June 22, 2002, 13:58   #20
Harovan
staff

No.
Old June 22, 2002, 14:03   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

Will you please explain why you say no, and perhaps offer an alternative?
Old June 22, 2002, 14:10   #22
Harovan
staff

I did, many times. Ok, Again.

We have only 8 good grassland tiles around our capital. They are our asset. They could be shared between 2 cities, Apolyton, and a new to built city 4 tiles northwest of Apolyton. The cities will overlap, but this does not matter. The corruption will be very low. We need 2 productive cities now, later will be too late. And Apolyton can't remain the capital anyway, because it has a too bad location. A capital should be surrounded by cities to use the benefits of lower corruption with as many as possible cities.
Old June 22, 2002, 14:17   #23
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
after we conquer france we'll expand more rapidly
Right. I'm just trying to make productive cities (which is, actually, not my job), that can build you the units to conquer France, before they build pikemen and musketeers.
Old June 22, 2002, 14:17   #24
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

exactly. there is no way apolyton can remain our capital, because it's no where near what the center of our empire (or where it will be, rather)
Old June 22, 2002, 14:17   #25
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:

Right. I'm just trying to make productive cities (which is, actually, not my job), that can build you the units to conquer France, before they build pikemen and musketeers.
hurrah!
Old June 22, 2002, 14:23   #26
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

agreed. unless we do a palace jump fairly soon (i'm against palace jumping) that city won't be useful for quite a while.

exactly. there is no way apolyton can remain our capital, because it's no where near what the center of our empire (or where it will be, rather)
So Uber, are you for or agaisnt palace jumping? I don't understand.
Old June 22, 2002, 14:33   #27
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline

hi ,

for the moment there is "jumping" what so ever , ....

there is nothing to jump to , ....

have a nice day
Old June 22, 2002, 14:36   #28
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeline

i'm agaisnt it in principle, but we need to move our palace.

and i know, rather than building it like we SHOULD, you people will vote to palace jump.
Old June 22, 2002, 15:38   #29
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 19:02
After reading this post it is obvious that incumbant party(DIA) is too incompetent to run such an important office this early in the game. I recommend everyone to vote for the Coalition candidate. Skywalker will consult the wisest of Apolytonians and the masses before settling cities. Skywalker understands the importance of settling in productive sites so we can create a large army to conquer France as soon as possible.
Old June 22, 2002, 16:37   #30
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Duddha
After reading this post it is obvious that incumbant party(DIA) is too incompetent to run such an important office this early in the game. I recommend everyone to vote for the Coalition candidate. Skywalker will consult the wisest of Apolytonians and the masses before settling cities. Skywalker understands the importance of settling in productive sites so we can create a large army to conquer France as soon as possible.
So why can't he tell us that himself?

Skwalker pushed and supported everything I did, so if you support him then you are supporting me.

If Jonny is elected, we will both work hard to make sure we are placing our cities in the most productive area possible.

70 some % of the people polled about my actions agreed with them or understood them. I feel I have done a good job, and I totally give 100% of my support to Jonny. He ran the first time and deserves a go at it. I think he will do a darn good job . He is already polling the people and getting advice, and thats key. With all our heads we cannot fail, but when we listen to just a few, as skywalker will most certainly do, we a re doomed.

Vote for Jonny people!!! He will listen to everyone and NOT just those who share his political feelings.