Old June 24, 2002, 16:32   #61
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
How am I going to do all of these things ?

Well, I could surf the forum, maybe, and post polls, etc.

*GASP*
hi ,

yeah its a job with a huge workload , ....

ya sure you want it , ....

have a nice day
Old June 24, 2002, 17:22   #62
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Smear Smear Smear..... Ouch.

Party politics at its best. As this is hidden on the third page, I may just start my own thread later on. Oh Well. A vote for me is a vote against all this smearing. I am an Independant.

I will place the cities (if elected....) where I feal they will do us the best good. I will happly listen to suggestions from others, hell, I may even post a poll. But when I comes down to it, I will choose. (real democratic). All the want to be lawyers can still be arguing, yet we have a civ to run. A vote for me is a vote for efficiency, and most importantly, a vote against all the smear associated with party politics.

Later all. See ya at the polls. And thanks for the vote in advance.

Godking

edit: changes a couple of typos.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 24, 2002, 18:34   #63
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:02
iain: not really. panag is just an independent that everyone hates (no offense).

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 24, 2002, 18:37   #64
Kuciwalker
Deity

I will place the cities not where I think they will do us the most good, but where you think they will do the most good.
Old June 24, 2002, 18:48   #65
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Hey! That's the most central DIA philosophy !

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse

Last edited by civman2000; June 24, 2002 at 19:12.
Old June 24, 2002, 18:48   #66
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
iain: not really. panag is just an independent that everyone hates (no offense).
hi ,

thank you , .......

anyway , there are still the banana's , ........

Sky , you are the one who decides , base it on your experience , listen , read , but in the end , you shall have to do it , .....
and if they can do it better , well , they should have put themself's up , .....
you cant do anything wrong , or good for some people now , the game is to early , ....

have a nice day , to all , even the ones who "hate" , ...
Old June 24, 2002, 18:50   #67
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

But who is the "you". If you ask 50 people, you will get 20 answers. Of those 20, 15 will be junk that you can find obvious flaws. You now have 5 answers. You set a poll, and the one you like came in 2nd. The one your party likes came in 2nd. Your pollitical opponants came in 1st. They seperated by only 1 or 2 votes. You know that if you choose the one your opponant wants, the entire course of the game will change in a way that you feel will lead to suicide. AND you still choose it.

No. There must be the decision maker. That is why the position was elected. The one must have judgement, and be able to use it.

--Con
Old June 24, 2002, 18:53   #68
Kuciwalker
Deity

"You" is the majority opinion.
Old June 24, 2002, 18:54   #69
GodKing
Emperor

I am not saying you shouldn't listen. What I am saying is that you must be able to make the decisions, and willing to state your reputation on it. You just can't say "The people told me do this and do that". IF you are to be responsible, than you must have the power to make those decisions, and the will to do so.

--Con
Old June 24, 2002, 18:56   #70
Kuciwalker
Deity

The game is completely invalid if we don't follow the polls. I must make decisions based on the majority opinion.
Old June 24, 2002, 19:11   #71
civman2000
Emperor

SUre, you should have an opinion and push it and "state your reputation". But if you cannot convince the people, you must concede to their will, or it is not a democracy. To paraphrase you, if you are to be responsible, than you must have the power to make those decisions that you disagree with, and the will to do so.

Old June 24, 2002, 19:47   #72
GodKing
Emperor

Democracy does not mean "blindly do whatever the people tell you".

Democracy does mean "listen to the people, so that if you can reasonably do what they want, do so".

I can get together many voters at home by saying I will eliminate all taxes. But it isn't reasonable to do so. Water main has to be maintained. Sewers have to be maintained. Roads have to be maintained. Parks have to have their lawns mowed. The same applies here. I cannot build cities in the ocean. And if the voters say to do so, why should I even try.

Even less extream, If the people want a location, and yet in my opinion an even better one exists, I must make a judgement. Go with what the people want and risk loosing the choice spot. Or tell the people no and risk being kicked out of office. The choice needs to be the ministers to make, and they must recognize that the choice is theirs, not some polls.

--Con
Old June 24, 2002, 20:08   #73
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:02
to put it short... consensus is a good thing, but I don't vote for people so that i vote 50 more times, I vote for people for their specific ideas and motives and skills. I voted for Trip cuz he was a better president than the Banana. I voted for Uber because I felt he would make good with our defenses, and he has shown he can make good with any defenses we give him.

If i vote for Johnny, Godbout, or Skywalker... i don't know (I won't say if I follow party voting lines or not, but if you follow the now that we have parties... thread you will know I am a vote that can be changed). But I will certainly vote upon what I have mentioned previously, ideas, motives and skills. ANYONE can be a consensus maker. Not everyone can make good by themselves. I want that gifted person who is more than just a guy who knows how to make polls.

who is it?
Old June 24, 2002, 20:32   #74
civman2000
Emperor

Ninot: I mostly agree. But when GodKing comes out explicitly mentioning that he does not care as much as what I think is the bare minimum that ministers should about the voice of hte people he's lost my vote.

Response to GodKing: About the tax example: self interest is much less of a motivating factor here: there is some political motivation behind a few decisions, but most game decisions cannot really be influenced by people gaining personally from them. About the city spot example: mention that city spot earlier. If there is a consensus saying it's bad, as I said, being responsible means obeying the people despite your compunctions. In very rare occassions if you and a few other people strongly think it is an absolutely horrible decision, you can decide against it. But only in the very most extreme cases.

Old June 25, 2002, 16:13   #75
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
The game is completely invalid if we don't follow the polls. I must make decisions based on the majority opinion.
hi ,

even when you know that its a wrong thing , ...

or even when you know the general picture , and the voter's not , ....

anyway , you seem to be a good guy for the job

have a nice day