Old June 22, 2002, 17:01   #1
daveroswell
Settler

Local Time: 03:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
embassies
I have a tendency to race to writing and then build embassies in all the civs. What is your opinion on this?
Quote:
Huh? What? I have no idea...Jack Potter, Postmaster General
Old June 22, 2002, 17:18   #2
Ignorance
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:03
Why?
I usually have much better uses to money at that point.
Often I don't establish embassies until industrial era, unless I want to make some treaty.
"In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison
Old June 22, 2002, 17:27   #3
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 04:03
I usually bee-line for literature, so that I can get the Great Lib. That includes of course the writing tech. I only establish embassies with my neighbours, because the only advantage at that time is that you can negotiate RoP or alliances against enemies.
For all the other civs that don't live on my continent, an embassy wouldn't give me any advantage. If you establish the embassy later, you might have the opportunity to see, how far the other civ is in building a great wonder.
Old June 22, 2002, 20:11   #4
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 13:03
I don't bother establishing embassies right away, because I need all the cash I can get to support my units, maximize technology funding, and pay for some critical AI techs, such as Horseback Riding (since I beeline to Iron Working right away, then beeline towards Monarchy, the AI tends to get Horseback Riding much sooner than I can).

I only establish an embassy when I need that civ for a military alliance. Chances are, they might establish an embassy with me, and so I won't really need to spend my precious little gold on it myself.
Old June 22, 2002, 20:23   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 22:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
i usually establish an embassy when im in a wonder race.
Old June 22, 2002, 20:25   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:03
Re: embassies
Quote:
Originally posted by daveroswell
I have a tendency to race to writing and then build embassies in all the civs. What is your opinion on this?
hi ,

only with certain civ's , .... its not worth sometimes to have them with all , ...

there should be an option to close it down , for ones and for all , lets say you would have to pay the double of what you payed for them , ...

have a nice day
Old June 22, 2002, 21:19   #7
PGM
Prince

Re: embassies
Quote:
Originally posted by daveroswell
I don't know about the need to actually "race" for it, but embassies are definitely important, as they set the base for a good relationship with other civs. Other leaders' opinion about you generally improves immediately after you've built embassies.

Of course, the importance of this depends on your play style. If you focus on military strength, embassies might be less important. But if you're a peaceful builder like myself, everything you can do that helps having good relations with everyone is important. Just so you don't get invaded by 30 Immortals when you're building culture-based improvements.
Old June 22, 2002, 21:37   #8
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:03
I build embassies as soon as I can usually, as I am usually bigger than the AI Civs and it lets me sell them ROPs .
Old June 22, 2002, 21:44   #9
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 21:03
Quote:
I don't bother establishing embassies right away, because I need all the cash I can get to support my units, maximize technology funding, and pay for some critical AI techs, such as Horseback Riding (since I beeline to Iron Working right away, then beeline towards Monarchy, the AI tends to get Horseback Riding much sooner than I can).
Me too. Except, I race to the Republic, If you get it early on it gives you a big advantage over all the Despotic fools that surround you. While heading to Republic I need all the gold I can muster to purchase such necessities as iron working, which is vital for my Legions.

Kman
Old June 23, 2002, 08:08   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 06:03
Right, bee-lining for Literature is good, and selling ROP is good, too. The AI will often be eager to pay for it.
Old June 23, 2002, 08:18   #11
zulu9812
King

I've noticed that building an embassy improves your standing with the civ in question, so I like to wait and build the embassy just before I ask them for something
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old June 23, 2002, 22:08   #12
phunny_pharmer
Chieftain

Is an embassy worth the monetary investment before spies?

I open one with every civ (when I have the money)...but is that a good thing to do?
Old June 24, 2002, 00:10   #13
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 21:03
Quote:
I open one with every civ (when I have the money)...but is that a good thing to do?
No, its a waist of money to open one with every civ.

When using embassies you should just open one with those you want to improve your satnding with, and those with whom you want to negotiate right of passage and Mutual protection pacts. Other than that they arent worth money. So embassies with civs on the other side of the planet generally arent helpful, unless they are need for a mpp. Thats my opinion though. Ive also found spies to be worthless...

Cynically yours
Kman
Old June 24, 2002, 07:44   #14
Deathwalker
Prince

I always do this go for Writting and then litecy. So I can build the Great Libary. I find it very difficult to keep up with the AI technology level. So I rush for the great libary and then it keeps me on the same level, until I can build up my cities.
Old June 24, 2002, 09:17   #15
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I dont race for embassies, but since I'm a builder I establish them with my neighbors if I have the cash (and I normally do). Embassies with civs on other continents can wait till later in the game.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old June 24, 2002, 09:53   #16
SomeOneElse
Chieftain

I find that embassies seem to improve relations with other civs. Since I am often very rich, i dont have much problem establishing embassies with most all the civs on my continent. atleast those directly next to me. it follows my strategy of playing civs against each other, as I get to have them declare war against my enemies.
Old June 24, 2002, 13:42   #17
Keeper of Hell
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

No, its a waist of money to open one with every civ.

When using embassies you should just open one with those you want to improve your satnding with, and those with whom you want to negotiate right of passage and Mutual protection pacts. Other than that they arent worth money. So embassies with civs on the other side of the planet generally arent helpful, unless they are need for a mpp. Thats my opinion though. Ive also found spies to be worthless...

Cynically yours
Kman
I disagree. There are other uses for embassies than improving relations or making treaties, such as being able to investigate cities. This is especially important for builders who need to know that they aren't wasting a bunch of shields in building a wonder that an AI civ will finish three turns ahead of them. I usually establish embassies with every civ I'm competing for a big wonder with, but then, I tend to have large cash reserves on hand since I rush to Literature, build the Great Library, then cut reasearch to 0% and let my AI friends do the work for me.