Old June 25, 2002, 17:05   #31
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 23:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
dp

Last edited by dunk; June 26, 2002 at 09:11.
Old June 25, 2002, 17:49   #32
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 03:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
lol, that reminded me of another joke with two cows
Cow 1 - "I'm really worried about this mad cows disease, arn't you?"
Cow 2 (with one of them propella caps) - "I'm not worried, i'm a duck!"
Old June 25, 2002, 19:28   #33
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:03
ok, no natural desaster.. but another possible random-occuring desaster:
when you build the wall street small wonder you could sometimes get a "black XXXday"-crash, e.g.:
- "black monday": loose ALL your treasury, 2 unhappy citizens
- "black friday": loose HALF of your treasury, 1 unhappy citizen

then, on the other hand, there could be a "boom" phase, having a similar but shorter effect like GA.
Old June 25, 2002, 22:08   #34
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 21:03
Old subject
This subjet comes up about every few months. I myself wrote an old thread calling for these, but ususally the idea gets voted down since most players don't want to deal with random events that may mess up their plans. I would not mind it, if it was made an option, like civ specific traits. I do think that if the feature was installed, it would have to be mandator in the hardest level, and I would make various events with real teeth. I think city specific threats, like earthquakaes, volvanoes, floods are nice, but also larger area, longer lasting ones like draught (similar to various SMAC events) or plagues, which woul decimae population and have the ability to spread through trade routs, would really spice up the game, and no, I would not allow certain buildings to stop events like earthquakes or volcanoes, thought medicine and hospitals would curtail plagues.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 26, 2002, 09:13   #35
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
when you build the wall street small wonder you could sometimes get a "black XXXday"-crash, e.g.:

then, on the other hand, there could be a "boom" phase, having a similar but shorter effect like GA.
I would definately turn that off.

Maybe a "Dark Age" which would be the opposite of a "Golden Age". Tiles making more than 2 produce one less shield or commerce.
Old June 26, 2002, 09:39   #36
dunk
Prince

Re: Old subject
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
This subjet comes up about every few months. I myself wrote an old thread calling for these, but ususally the idea gets voted down since most players don't want to deal with random events that may mess up their plans. I would not mind it, if it was made an option, like civ specific traits. I do think that if the feature was installed, it would have to be mandator in the hardest level, and I would make various events with real teeth. I think city specific threats, like earthquakaes, volvanoes, floods are nice, but also larger area, longer lasting ones like draught (similar to various SMAC events) or plagues, which woul decimae population and have the ability to spread through trade routs, would really spice up the game, and no, I would not allow certain buildings to stop events like earthquakes or volcanoes, thought medicine and hospitals would curtail plagues.
While the devastating disaster would spice up the game, the game may come to be defined by them. That's why I think it's better to have either settings for severity and frequency or simply nusciance disasters. If I'm toodling along building my temples and libraries and BAM! the bubonic plague hits and 50-70% of my people die over 3 turns, I'm going to turn the game off. I don't think buildings should prevent the disasters from occuring, but could lessen the effect. A fire house wouldn't stop a city fire, but it would eliminate the chance that a random improvement is destoyed. The population would still suffer, though.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:13   #37
Panzer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:03
Hmmmm, interesting idea. Who knows, maybe we should have a meteorstrike event which wipes out Civilization as we know it so you'll have to start again from scrath!
Old June 26, 2002, 11:33   #38
HazieDaVampire
King

always sombody who has to say something like that panzer!
Old June 26, 2002, 12:19   #39
mwaf
Warlord

Mega-thumbs-up for disasters.
I agree with most of the disaster suggestions. Having the possibility to turn disasters off would, however, be preferable.

Quote:
but ususally the idea gets voted down since most players don't want to deal with random events that may mess up their plans
Perhaps someone should make a poll.

Quote:
Hmmmm, interesting idea. Who knows, maybe we should have a meteorstrike event which wipes out Civilization as we know it so you'll have to start again from scrath!
Great idea, but perhaps some cities would survive (depending on where the meteor strikes) and all tech-discoveries would, naturally, still be available. Also, the terrain should change significantly.
Old June 26, 2002, 12:25   #40
HazieDaVampire
King

Thats actualy pritty cool, but i would like to have a button for doing that! Press a button and we all die, hmmmmmm, i like the idea of being the American president!
No really, if i'm getting sick of a game and don't want to start again, blowing the world up would be pritty cool and scrambling the world a little!
Old June 26, 2002, 14:26   #41
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf

hi ,

, well random events should be in , lets say "stockmarket" , this turn you loose your intrest , ....

ones every 50 years or so , ...

have a nice day