Old June 27, 2002, 11:54   #61
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 03:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think the assumption of a short, vicious battle would be better, and more accurate. The assumption of the victor in that battle is the less certain aspect. I am happier now that i know we have a fall back position in the event of a setback, however. I expect the plan to succeed, i just don't want us to pin everything on it succeeding, and i don't think we are.
Old June 27, 2002, 13:15   #62
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The plan is for a short war, however it calls for the building of 4 Barracks (only 2 are needed for the initial troops). This leaves us prepared for whatever may happen military wise.
Old June 27, 2002, 14:20   #63
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:05
Case Pink is not only about a war. It's about bringing some productivity to the empire. Productivity pays, especially in the early game. It pays equally for troops and temples.
Old June 27, 2002, 15:42   #64
buzzbat
Settler

Local Time: 22:05
I say we investigate the sea to the south of Apolyton, might be another continent, or the continent were on curves back around...
Old June 27, 2002, 16:48   #65
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:05
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
The plan is for a short war, however it calls for the building of 4 Barracks (only 2 are needed for the initial troops). This leaves us prepared for whatever may happen military wise.
hi ,

, ....

, we could build only two , and use the shields for the other two either for a building or units , ....

have a nice day
Old June 27, 2002, 17:58   #66
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

We will need more units than 2 size 3 cities can build IF... Bottom line, we must prepare fully for war.

Also, it would be very advisable to have Apolyton switch from military to settlers after the initial wave is complete. We must not neglect our own settlements. That would leave us with 2 good Barracks and 1 not quite as good (2 7 turn archers/spear and 1 10 turn).
Old June 27, 2002, 18:09   #67
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 23:05
We won't have any room for more cities after Case Pink.
Old June 27, 2002, 22:34   #68
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

If Case Pink (or Blue) is successful, then we will have the land of the French (or Americans), which has some non Jungle. Also, it is possible that autoraze would occur with the capture of Orleans (or New York).
Old June 27, 2002, 23:21   #69
Andreiguy
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

And, there might be good land beyond the jungle, which after all, must end somewhere.
Old June 29, 2002, 11:40   #70
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
We will need more units than 2 size 3 cities can build IF... Bottom line, we must prepare fully for war.

Also, it would be very advisable to have Apolyton switch from military to settlers after the initial wave is complete. We must not neglect our own settlements. That would leave us with 2 good Barracks and 1 not quite as good (2 7 turn archers/spear and 1 10 turn).
hi ,

, maybe we should let our cities grow a bit , ...

so that they can build faster , bring more money , more science , more people , more banana's and so on , ...

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 14:24   #71
notyoueither
Deity

The jungle around us can be settled and brought to productive use, given time.

That is why we must knock our closest neighbours for 6, to give us that time and to gain their good land.

But we must begin to tame the jungle soon also. As soon as the army is built IMO. 1 city switching to settlers once the initial wave is complete may not be too much. Remember, we only get free upkeep for so many units based on number of cities. We will need more cities as well.

The jungle cities should build something like worker, warrior, settler, settler. That way they can begin digging themselves out after 10 turns. 36 turns later they have 2 mined grasslands. With our closest opponents as vassels, we will have gained the time and resources required for the jungle to be overcome.

A truely aweful start, but one with fascinating potential. Look at the bright side. We may well have a monopoly on Rubber.
Old June 29, 2002, 15:06   #72
Kuciwalker
Deity

I thought that we were going to move our capitol to an area outside the jungle (such as France) and build up our empire there.
Old June 29, 2002, 15:12   #73
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
I thought that we were going to move our capitol to an area outside the jungle (such as France) and build up our empire there.
hi ,

that would be smart , but it would be smart to keep what we have also , .....
in that jungle there is going to be resources we are going to need , over time all that jungle shall be gone , none bonus grassland shall be reforested , ......

just imagine the production , even with the palace and second palace in an other place , ......

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 15:14   #74
notyoueither
Deity

We could do that, but I don't think it has been decided yet. A capitol bounce is not a certain thing. However, a FP in the area of the French might be very wise.

I never capitol bounce, so it is never very present in my thoughts.

Also, doing everything perfectly, which is something a capitol bounce likely requires, may well be something an anarchic group such as ours is not suited to do.
Old June 29, 2002, 15:17   #75
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
We could do that, but I don't think it has been decided yet. A capitol bounce is not a certain thing. However, a FP in the area of the French might be very wise.

I never capitol bounce, so it is never very present in my thoughts.

Also, doing everything perfectly, which is something a capitol bounce likely requires, may well be something an anarchic group such as ours is not suited to do.
hi ,

, we could always put the FB there where the peninsula starts , in the middle , ....

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 15:50   #76
Kuciwalker
Deity

It would be more efficient to put our capitol in the French conquests, as our empire will likely build up around them.
Old June 29, 2002, 18:45   #77
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Before we decide that, we need to know more of the island/continent/whatever we are located on actually is. The lay of the land. That way we can figure out if moving the Palace there is good idea or not. Ideally, we want it centrally located to provide maximum benefit.
Old June 29, 2002, 18:53   #78
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
Before we decide that, we need to know more of the island/continent/whatever we are located on actually is. The lay of the land. That way we can figure out if moving the Palace there is good idea or not. Ideally, we want it centrally located to provide maximum benefit.
hi ,

, true , and we could shape the nation a bit , we have the palace and the forbidden palace , so that should be like two cirkels , ....

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 18:58   #79
kring
King

Exactly, the best way to do it, as long the terrain allows it.
Old June 29, 2002, 19:05   #80
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
Exactly, the best way to do it, as long the terrain allows it.
hi ,

terrain there shall be , that shall not be the problem , the main concern for now shall be to build with what we have , and to make the best from it , ....

to explore now is a must !

have a nice day
Old June 30, 2002, 00:54   #81
kring
King

By terrain, I meant the shape of the terrain, as opposed to the type of terrain. I apologize for not making myself clearer. The layout of the island/continent/whatever. Some map layouts lend themselves poorly to the 2 circle plan; others work great.
Old June 30, 2002, 07:20   #82
Kuciwalker
Deity

Actually, once we have most of the continent, we should put our palace near one end and the forbidden palace near the other.
Old June 30, 2002, 09:51   #83
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Actually, once we have most of the continent, we should put our palace near one end and the forbidden palace near the other.
hi ,

, not in extremes here , there is no point for now to put it near the water , .....

have a nice day
Old June 30, 2002, 10:24   #84
Kuciwalker
Deity

I said near one end, not at one end.
Old June 30, 2002, 10:31   #85
kring
King

That may not be the optimal placement for them though.

It is better to put them about 1/4 in from either end of your empire. Allowing variables for shape of the continent, terrain, etc. It is best to have them where they are clustered by fairly productive cities when possible. Sometimes, even on different continents also. We need to know more of the map before we go recklessly advocating placing them here or there.
Old June 30, 2002, 17:49   #86
Robber Baron
Prince

I agree with the forming consensus that more exploration is needed before fixing a location for our capitol move. In terms of focusing exploration and massing for war, though, it seems clear to me that we need to concentrate on the vicinity of Paris. Some juicy looking land there: enough grasslands to grow population and seed culture; gold; mountains (good for initial defensive lines, and for resources); jungle close by but not too close (remember, eventually we will want to be close to rubber supplies) .... I am becoming convinced we need to take on France, as soon as we can prepare our army -- before they have a chance to consolidate this ground in the form of a formidable civilization. We need this territory -- and we can't afford to coexist so closely with an opponent that has it. We need to strike while they are still in REX mode.
Old June 30, 2002, 18:40   #87
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:05
What are the possibilities of pop-rushing for the war effort with the third citizen? (I don't know - I NEVER pop-rush).

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 30, 2002, 18:46   #88
jdd2007
NationStates
King

it might be better to make a settler or worker than pop-rushing...
Old June 30, 2002, 18:56   #89
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:05
Agreed, but that takes some time to build, whereas a pop-rush reduces the time to build something - that was the main idea I had in mind.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 1, 2002, 08:08   #90
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
I said near one end, not at one end.
hi ,

understood , it was that banana drink , ......

sounds good ,

but lets say that we find a place that is really nice , big open terrain , and we put one of the two there , and the other one whereever we need it

anyway , as for now we shall have to wait , so we can see what the world is like , ....

have a nice day