Old June 23, 2002, 05:16   #1
cbraund
Prince

Local Time: 03:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Uknes2 Comes To Apolyton!
I've decided to have a go at bringing UKNES2, which is much simpler than UKNES(no offence guys, I mean that I just couldn't have ran 2 at the same time!) over to Apolyton.

So here it is!

IT IS THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1800, and Europe is once more on the verge of war.

The nations of Europe have been at peace for many years, but from the French revolution comes a dangerous new leader.

Napoleon Bonaparte.

Is he a diplomat or warrior? The old powers refuse to sit on their hands incase it is the latter, and start to rebuild their disbanded armed forces.

The great Admiral Nelson is preparing to defend Britain against any invasion, and Napoleon is preparing for conquest. Arthur Wellsley, soon to be the Duke of Wellington, is returning from a successful campaign in India to lead Britain's army. Prussia is trying to reunite it's nation, and Russia and Sweden size each other up.

Now Europe is rushing head long into war, and only the leaders can stop it...

RULES

The map is divided into provinces. Each capital is worth 5 credits(5c), and each other province is worth 3 credits.

A fleet costs 5 credits, and an army costs 3c.

Each unit just has to roll 7 or under in combat to kill an opponent. After all units have had this roll, combat is finished for that turn. If there are still defenders left, the attacker has to retreat. If there are no defenders left, but still some attackers, the attacker takes the province. If there are no attackers or defenders left, the province stays in the defender's hands.

Each unit can only move one province(or sea in the case of fleets) per turn. Fleets can transport any number of units in one turn, but only to a province on the other side of the sea it is currently in, or a sea adjacent to it. It stays in whichever sea is next to the province it is transporting to. It can only transport units to one location, and cannot move to the next sea if it is transporting units to a province that isn't adjacent to that sea.

Units can also embark the fleet, and move with it until they arrive at their destination.

Each province has militia which has to roll 5 or under to kill an opponent. Capital's militia fights as though it was a regular army(7 or under).

Militia isn't shown on the map, however fleets are represented by squares in your nation's colour in the sea it is in. Fleets cannot enter provinces.

Armies are shown by squares of either white or black(depending on which is easier to see) in your provinces.

Militia aren't shown on the map, but must be killed to take a province. They also automatically are rebuilt if they are killed(after the combat of course). Miltia cannot attack or move.

Each sea has a letter(there isn't one named O due to it's similarity to D), and each province has a letter(Sicily is part of Southern Italy, Corsica and Sardinia are joined, and Denmark is whole, not a lot of islands, and Istanbul takes up both sides of the mouth of the Black Sea).

YOUR ORDERS SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS: (Example is Britain)

Capital 6
1 army* - defend capital
1 army - move to 5

Province 5
1 army - take over 2

Sea C
1 fleet - move to D

It's that simple. Please put a star(*) next to units that are new that turn, like the first army in 6.

After I have received all the orders I will post the updated map.

Once 5 people have joined, the game will begin. I will control any nations which don't have players, and newcomers after the end of the first turn will have to put up with the decisions I made for that country.

EVERYONE STARTS WITH 5 GOLD DUE TO YOUR CAPITAL.

Also, your units cost you UPKEEP. This is one credit per turn per unit that you own. Say you have 2 galleys and 3 armies, that would cost you 5c. If you only have 6c coming in, that means you can only have 6 units at most. That means to buy another army you either need to conquer more territory or just wait the three turns to build up 3 credits.

Each turn will last about 3 days I think, at the beginning, then I will probably settle into a every weekend routine.

Finally, unused credits carry over to the next turn, and orders should be PMed to me.

ALSO NEW UNITS MUST BEGIN IN YOUR CAPITAL!

But one the game starts, I want all orders in as soon as possible, so I can post the updated map, hopefully before Wednesday.

Good luck everyone!

NATIONS OF EUROPE

Britain
Red
Capital 6(London)

France[Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte](Trickey)
Blue
Capital 9(Paris)

Spain(Emperor Jason)
Yellow
Capital 16(Madrid)

Libya(I know it's further east than on the map, but it sounds better than Tunisia!)
Pink
Capital 25(Tunis)

Italy(Space05us)
Light Blue
Capital 29(Rome)

Prussia[King Fredrick William IV](Toasty)
Green
Capital 37(Berlin)

Austria
Brown
Capital 41(Vienna)

Ottoman Turkey
Purple
Capital 48(Istanbul, as the Turks call Constantinople)

Russia[Tsar Alexander I](WTE_OzWolf)
Turquoise
Capital 61(Moscow)

Sweden[King William I](Civman2000)
Dark Blue
Capital 69(Stockholm)

Here's the map:

Have fun!

Nemesis

Last edited by cbraund; June 27, 2002 at 20:48.
Old June 23, 2002, 05:16   #2
cbraund
Prince

btw, I know that Turkey's number should be in white. This will be corrected in the first map update.

Nemesis
Old June 23, 2002, 05:19   #3
cbraund
Prince

Finally, all players MUST turn on PM messaging, and send their orders to me by PM.

Chris
Old June 23, 2002, 07:14   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
sounds fun! I'll be King William I of the Swedes

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 23, 2002, 07:51   #5
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 23:05
napoleon of the french for me!
Old June 23, 2002, 07:56   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

WE have an unnamed territory between 43 and 57...

Q: DO all new units start in the capital?

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 23, 2002, 08:37   #7
cbraund
Prince

Well spotted Civman!

And yes, units MUST begin in your capital.

Chris
Old June 23, 2002, 08:39   #8
civman2000
Emperor

naval q: If you control 48 can you go from M to P?

Old June 23, 2002, 08:45   #9
cbraund
Prince

You can go from M to P and vice versa so long as you either own 48 or have an agreement with the person who owns it.

Also, if you are at war, you can fight your way into it by defeating their naval forces in P.

Chris
Old June 23, 2002, 08:49   #10
civman2000
Emperor

Even if the owner of 48 wont' let you through?? DOesn't sound realistic. I assume units can be together in territories/sea if they have an agreement about it--Is this correct?

Naval question: IF the capital is landlocked, do you proclaim one terriroy to be the "naval base" and the sea zone(s) next to it is where the ships come out?

Can units/ships be built in captured enemy capitals? Do thise capitals give 5 credits instead of 3? What do you think of the idea of being able to build (at a very high cost, maybe like 15 credits) new production centers. Can newly built units attack/move the turn they are built or can they only stay in the capital and defend until the next turn? (Many of these ideas are based on the board game Axis & Allies).

Old June 23, 2002, 08:57   #11
cbraund
Prince

Yes, armies and fleets from different nations can share provinces and seas, unless they are at war(this means you can send armies to help an ally).

Finally, I change that last bit.

YOU CAN ONLY GO FROM M TO P OR VICE VERSA IF YOU CONTROL 48 OR HAVE AN AGREEMENT WITH THE OWNER.

Anyway, thanks civman for helping iron out the rules!

And finally, you can move troops as soon as you get them, and unclaimed provinces can be claimed simply by moving troops into them.

If two nations try for the same province, then if one sends more than the other then that side wins, otherwise if both have sent the same amount of armies(say one each) then they either fight over it(if they are at war, or orders say take that province even if it means combat) or the territory remains neutral and disputed.

Chris
Old June 23, 2002, 09:02   #12
civman2000
Emperor

I edited the post with more questions, please take a look. I really think it should be possible to be able to build things in more than one place, though the cost should be high to do so.

Old June 23, 2002, 09:03   #13
cbraund
Prince

Right, to answer the new questions:

Fleets built in a capital that is near the sea must choose which sea to enter for their first move(they cannot move again after that).

Fleets built in landlocked capitals enter the nearest sea.

Finally, yes units can be built in enemy capitals, and you can build new production centres for 25 gold.

Chris AKA Nemesis
Old June 23, 2002, 09:03   #14
civman2000
Emperor

What if two enemies attack a common enemy on the same turn? Do they each get a roll and get to decide who to kill? And how many faces are the dice, 10?

Old June 23, 2002, 09:05   #15
cbraund
Prince

It's two six sided dice.

Also, the defender dies first, then the ones attacking attack each other in a trial of possession.

Chris
Old June 23, 2002, 09:06   #16
civman2000
Emperor

Is nearest sea to france D or H, or can they build in either? What about Russia, G or P (I assume Austria is Q)?

Old June 23, 2002, 09:09   #17
civman2000
Emperor

OK...so after killing the defenders either it ends up disputed, the side with more wins and the other must retreat, or they both must retreat BUT the defender loses the territory and it becomes neutral.

Last edited by civman2000; June 23, 2002 at 09:14.
Old June 23, 2002, 09:12   #18
civman2000
Emperor

Disputed means (I assume) unclaimed with multiple nationality armies of equal amounts in it. The next turn, if one side moves out, does the other side get it? Or if they only move out some, can they attack the other side withh those left? When armies are left, do they both attack each other but no retreat afterwards or what?

Old June 23, 2002, 09:24   #19
civman2000
Emperor

Come into the chatroom, let's figure out the answers to these and other questions without having the 1st 4 pages just be rules and then post a summary of the decisions

Old June 23, 2002, 10:48   #20
Cinna
Warlord

Local Time: 22:05
Wow, i remember RISK! i used to have it, it was really fun. but did they have ships in that game? i dont remember.
Old June 23, 2002, 10:57   #21
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:05
Nope. No ships in Risk.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 23, 2002, 13:16   #22
civman2000
Emperor

"Your Majesty, the 1st Glorious Army of the Kingdom of Sweden has been created."

"Good," said William with an evil grin coming across his face.

When the troops reached the Norwegian capital, the met little resistance. The Leader was taken prisoner and a battalion returned to Stockholm with him. Little did they know that a contingent of Norwegian warriors was also following htem...

"Your highness, the 4th Glorious Battalion of the 1st Glorious Army of the--"

"OK get on with it, quit all the official name stuff!"

"They are here with the Norwegian leader."

"Very good. Bring them in."

Four guards walked in carrying a man who was resisting weakly.

"Norwegian! What is your name?"

"J-Jo-ohn," he stammered in slightly accented Swedish.

"Here are the paintings of the battles," said one of the guards handing the king some artwork.

"Hmmm, very good." murmured the king as he studied them.

Suddenly, there were sceams and yells from just outside the throne room. THe king immediately dropped the painings and ordered that John be restrained in the far corner. Before this could be done, however, about 15 Norwegians rushed into the room! The guards killed most, but they were helplessly outnumbered, and 5 Norwegains remained when the last guard fell. About 25 more Norwegians entered the room as the king prepared to fight the 5. He realized that he had no hope to resist and submitted.

"I am now Emporer John I of the Norwegian Empire!" declared John, who had been unshackled by the other Norwegians.

They had a parade in John's honor through the streets with William, no longer King, chained to one of the displays. The people watched in disgust and despair.

That night, John announced that the capital of the EMpiure would be in Stockholm because he thought it a great city.

The next morning 3 of his lieutenants in cahoots with William overthrew him because they did not believe he could rule nor that GOd willed it so. William was returned to power, but only if he could allow Norway a quite a bit of autonomy. The three Norwegian lieutenants controlled him, for he was completely at their mercy. His sadistic arrogance faded. THus was created the Kindom of Sweden and Norway.

Old June 23, 2002, 13:58   #23
Space05us
King

I'll take Italy, btw whats my name??
A few questions:
do we start out with an army?
do we start out with a fleet? (I think that should be renamed, a fleet is the entire navy of a nation isn't it?)
Old June 23, 2002, 14:02   #24
civman2000
Emperor

space: look at the map. Armies are little squares, fleets are little things in the water. Do you see any?

Old June 23, 2002, 14:05   #25
Space05us
King

don't mock me out of anger!
got ya, I must have skipped something in reading
Old June 23, 2002, 14:11   #26
civman2000
Emperor

More questions:
1. When two people attack the same place, who gets hit by the defenders?
2. What happens if two armies attack each other at the same time?
3. If x attacks y but y attacks z, does x get the square y is on for nothin because y is off attacking z? If so, can y retreat then? What if z attacks y too, then are they fighting in y's territory or z's when you talk about x? Exmaple: France has an army in 11 (x). Prussia has 34 (y). AUstria has 33 (z). France attacks Prussia, Prussia attacks Austria. What happens? WHat about if another attack is added: AUstria attacks Prussia?

Old June 23, 2002, 14:12   #27
civman2000
Emperor

People: dont let all of my questions intimidate you! I'm just trying to clear up rare occurences, they're unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Old June 23, 2002, 15:01   #28
Space05us
King

how are we going to know if someone is invading our territory if all moves are sent via pm?
Old June 23, 2002, 15:30   #29
civman2000
Emperor

(I think) after all moves are sent cbraund posts them and the results...if you dont care if they're seret write stories about them (like mine about me moving an army into norway)

Old June 23, 2002, 15:34   #30
cbraund
Prince

You won't know until the battle is over. I will say what happened at the end of each turn.

Civman, if you attack and leave no troops to guard the province, the militia will fight the invader, but if they lose, then the province is lost, and the attacker cannot retreat.

If attacks come across the same border, the attacking armies fight each other to see who goes on to invade the other.

If two people hit the same place, they take it and turns to be hit. The first to be hit is randomly decided(two dice rolled for each nation attacking. Starting from lowest is the order that they lose armies).

The nearest sea is usually obvious, it's the closest one possible.

In the event that two are as close as each other(such as the Russian example) you can choose which one it will be built in.

When attacking, if there is at least one defender(or militia) left, the territory remains in their hands. If all the defenders and attackers die(including the militia) then it remains in the defender's hands. It only changes hands when all the defenders including the militia die and their are still attackers left.

Disputed territory is when equal forces have entered a province to claim it.

It is held by neither, and they stay in the province until either ordered out, or more troops are moved in(if one side outnumbers the other in the province at any time, they claim it and the others leave) or orders are given to forcefully remove the enemy from the province.

Basically, if anyone has more armies in the province at any time, they get it. Equal forces make it remain disputed, unless the two sides fight.

Chris