Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Venger

I am of two minds about this -

1) Someone has to BUILD TWB before planes can be built

2) Whoever builds this gets veteran air units

or

3) Both...

Still, I think it's wonders, units, resources, diversity and such that spice up the game and make it so enjoyable, rather than running through just another tech avalanche...

Venger
Perhaps, Venger, anyone could build airplanes/airports, but if you were to complete the Wright Bros. Wonder, it would put an airport in all of your cities. This would produce the veteran units to which you referred.

Or, it could be similar to the Manhattan Project. Upon completion of the Wright Bros. Wonder, all civs would then be permitted to build planes/airports.
Old July 4, 2002, 23:02   #62
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 12:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Maybe these:
Sydney Opera house - reduces the chances of being assimilated by 50%
Statue of Liberty - increases the chances of assimilating by 50%
Old July 5, 2002, 09:51   #63
Amadan
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:06
Quote:
To me, the most obvious Wonder never used in a game is...

The Wright Brothers

Imagine what it allows...
Lindburgh's Flight -- to expand the range of aircraft.
Old July 5, 2002, 09:55   #64
Amadan
Chieftain

Re: resourced base wonders
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch
Silk 'factory': needs at least two silk in city-squares, produces like 2 extra gold per square (just gold), expires somewhere like with Frigate....

Bourdoux/Champagne-wineyard: 1 extra happy face for whole civ, requires again like 2 wine (what shall we do with the drunken sailors, what ....)

All I can think of in the moment
Temple of Zeus (Great Wonder): requires ivory and gold, gives happynes and culture.
Old July 5, 2002, 11:19   #65
KenderBane
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:06
I have another good one that people seem to have missed ...

The Taj Mahal.

Availible with Ceremonial Burial.
Expires with Theology.
Makes one unhappy person into a content person in each city on the continent.

The Taj is really a tomb for the dead wife of an ancient Hindu ruler. So Ceremonial Burial makes sense.

Theology makes sense in that the effect expires when the religion changes.

The effect is like having a temple in every city, but doesn't produce culture points, isn't effected by the Oracle (this GW effect doesn't double when Oracle is built) ... but its effect does 'stack' with Temple and Oracle ...

Ahhh ... think of the Civ that has temples everywhere, and the Oracle AND the Taj Mahal ... Ancient Times were never that good ...

And since getting luxuries in ancient times is difficult (your trade network is still developing), this can help A LOT!
Old July 5, 2002, 19:44   #66
XarXo
Prince

I have a wonder:

Dark Age: Destroy a target wonder, and reduces in a 50% the gold amount in the target civ during 20 turns. For apply it the civ must have previously a wonder.

This is good for the typical game that there is a all-wonder player (the problem is with an (all-wonder - 1) player and you have 1 wonder, and the other builds Dark Age )

The statue could be the XIII Tarot card : Death. heheheh
Old July 6, 2002, 08:59   #67
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:06
hi ,

a big Q ; should wonders have the option to be rebuild , ......;

it would put a lot of Q's and A's , but the main point is , would it be usefull , .....

have a nice day
Old July 6, 2002, 11:18   #68
Venger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Amadan

Lindburgh's Flight -- to expand the range of aircraft.
I like it - a great follow on wonder. Add what, +2 to aircraft range? Greatness.

Venger
Old July 6, 2002, 11:19   #69
Venger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KenderBane

The Taj Mahal.

Expires with Theology.
Very good one. Nice to see various non-Western wonders included (I'm pretty far to the right, so I can make that statement...).

Venger
Old July 6, 2002, 11:40   #70
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Williams
How about the Florida Election Commision, it could allow you to undertake an instantanious government change without anybody complaining .

I like the idea of the World Trade Center as a wonder, I think it would be a sort of tribute.

The CIA: Lets you undertake a larger list of covert actions, like encouraging revolutions.

Silicon Vally: Reduces the minimum discovery rate to three turns.

Millitary Traning Center: Allows that city to produce elite units.

Defense Network: Would require integrated defense, makes every city on the continant of a certain size have two mech infantry units perminantly stationed there at no cost, maybe throw in a jet figher or something.
Florida Election Commission - I know you're just joking, but I do like the idea of zero anarchy. Only problem is that it makes the Religous trait much less useful.

World Trade Center - good idea: I'd like to see more wonders based on real-life locations/monuments.

Silicon Valley - great idea. Presumably it wou;d come late in the game, when you have enough libraries/universities/research centres to take advantage of it.

Militart Training Center - presumably only affects units produced in that city? Good idea; that city then becomes militarily significant.

Defensive Network - no no no no. Free units? Far too powerful. Perhaps it could put a SAM site, coastal fortress and some sort of land defense (like SMAC's Perimeter Defense) in every city.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 6, 2002, 11:44   #71
zulu9812
King

Quote:

The Taj Mahal.

Expires with Theology.
The Hanging Gardens already makes 1 citizen happy in ever city. I see no need for a duplicate. Perhaps the Taj Mahal could be a culture-generating 'machine', or it could raise your diplomatic reputation.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 6, 2002, 11:47   #72
Venger
King

I agree on the WTC - it should behave as the Colussus (I think the way the Colussus does) - +1 commerce to every tile. This is a great tie into the actual function of the WTC and it's effects. As to the WTC no longer existing, alot of wonders no longer exist...

Venger
Old July 6, 2002, 11:50   #73
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:06
Quote:
I agree on the WTC - it should behave as the Colussus (I think the way the Colussus does) - +1 commerce to every tile. This is a great tie into the actual function of the WTC and it's effects. As to the WTC no longer existing, alot of wonders no longer exist...

Venger
hi ,

they should have put the WTC in it , just to remember it , ...

have a nice day
Old July 8, 2002, 09:11   #74
daveroswell
Settler

I know people want to make the game "current" but some things are too fresh in peoples minds to joke about... I live in Long Island, and I knew more than a few lives that have been touched by WTC. I know civ is just a game and blah, blah blah but come on... cut it out, at least for a couple of decades...(and I agree that the "Taliban" civ was also meant as a joke, but I hope all of us understand how some people feel about this stuff...)
Old July 8, 2002, 09:33   #75
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by daveroswell
cut it out, at least for a couple of decades
A couple of decades. Really. So you would rather that no-one discussed, remembered or paid tribute to the events of September 11th for another 20 years. You would want that level of disruption achieved. Well then, whoever bombed the WTC (that's still not been proved in a court of law and until then I reserve judgment) has already won. Congratulations.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:48   #76
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 14:06
There's a "World Trade Centre" in Melbourne. It's kind of spooky going past it in the train and seeing that in big letters on the side of the building, because you can't help thinking about the events in New York involving the building of the same name.
Old July 8, 2002, 14:53   #77
Palleon
Warlord

Ok, heres a few modern wonders I've thought of.

The Mossad - Great Wonder - Lowers cost of spying 10-20%. It is the greatest intelligence agency on earth, and spying does need some work.

Mission to the Moon - Great Wonder - Requires Apollo Project, maybe just a big culture wonder, like 6 or 7. I'm not sure what in game benefit this could give, but it was one of the milestones of the 20th century. Maybe it can prevent propeganda, like democracy, because it signifies that civs supremacy over all others, I know that happened when the US beat Russia to it.

The Internet - I know this was proposed before, but let me give you guys a new idea for it. Make it a small wonder instead of a great one, and once it's built, either all of your cities are automatically said to be connected for trade (Amazon, Ebay, etc), or generages 1-2 extra commerce per city for every city in your empire (for same reason, E-Trade).

Religous Unification - Small Wonder - Cities experience less corruption because everyone shares the same beliefs, but worker efficiency is reduced 50%, because they feel less motivated to work due to lack of religous freedom.
Old July 10, 2002, 08:22   #78
KenderBane
Chieftain

quote:

The Taj Mahal.

Expires with Theology.

The Hanging Gardens already makes 1 citizen happy in ever city. I see no need for a duplicate. Perhaps the Taj Mahal could be a culture-generating 'machine', or it could raise your diplomatic reputation.

Well, if duplicating another improvements effects is grounds for not included in the game ...

Then Banks are useless because marketplaces give +50% income.

Then Research labs and Universities are also useless because Libraries give +50% research.

The wonder Magellans Voyage is useless and should be gotten rid of because The Great Lighthouse also gives +1 MP to naval units.

Saying "Thats been done before" doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done again, in a different way.
Old July 10, 2002, 08:31   #79
zulu9812
King

You can't compare improvements with wonders. Great Wonders are unique and should have a unique effect. Other wise, what's the point of a wonder-race. "Ah, we lost the race to build that wonder - but that's okay 'coz we can just build this other wonder that does the same thing". No
Old July 10, 2002, 10:38   #80
Palleon
Warlord

Theres already a lot of happiness wonders, and all spaced out fairly well, with the early ones going obsolete. I think if we get any new wonders, it should be to pad the problems we've noted here in the forums, mainly air power, spying, and something to make expansionist civs suck less (maybe a special wonder only they can build that gives them a new trait! )