Old June 25, 2002, 04:19   #31
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Trip acted absolutely correct in the turnchat. There were 2 people pro attack and the whole rest contra. Skywalker just kept flooding the channel with "KILL KILL KILL" posts, which was awful annoying and no worthy behavior for somebody who applies for a governmental office. Several people asked him to stop but he did not listen. I put him on ignore finally. I hold no ill against skywalker, and I gladly welcomed him in our War Academy, but I think in a governmental office he should act more responsible and calm and a tad bit more diplomatic.

Gentlemen, almost all of you have approved NYE's "Case pink" plan. This plan needs absolute discipline. Any sidestep would be fatal. Please, once you decided to follow this plan, bring it to a good end and don't let a wandering settler distract our effort and endanger the later approach of our archers.
Old June 25, 2002, 05:06   #32
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

(...)
Skywalker just kept flooding the channel with "KILL KILL KILL" posts
(...)
Several people asked him to stop but he did not listen.(...)
Well, I have to admit, I'd ignore him too - and all his ideas with him.

This kind of behavior is totally childish and unproductive.

It also appears the idea actually has been considered, and that the "excellent gamble" isn't so excellent if you take the time to think things through.
Old June 25, 2002, 07:35   #33
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Guardian

Well, I have to admit, I'd ignore him too - and all his ideas with him.
IMO the idea was dismissed because skywalker (who was being annoying) was supporting it so much. even so perhaps its not such a good idea if the French start producing units instead of cities as a result. it just seemed that with such a poor location a 45% chance of getting two workers was/is a good gamble.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:29   #34
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It was dismissed because the majority of people wanted to continue.
They felt that way because they thought that the move would have been far too risky with very little gain (2 workers, then say our warrior gets killed... then what? They get recaptured. ), and they felt it wasn't worth ending the turn chat and creating a poll over.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:39   #35
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:07
Trip, I have to say that your post above (second to last one) is exactly what a President should do. They have to follow the poll results and Ministerial suggestions, but when they actually play the game there is a certain amount of independent decision-making that must be performed.

It is unrealistic to stop the game due to such small things and poll - delaying the entire process. The President is the most trusted official and should be treated as such. It is up to them to decide when there has been a development large enough that a stop to the game is necessary - I also don't think we should put into legislation what these developments would have to be.

The Prez is there not to do only that which they are told - they do what has been polled on and otherwise must rely on their own guile and perhaps the quick feedback from the turnchats. This is why you vote for a President you think has a certain nous about the game, and a President who you see as responsible enough to make these small decisions.

We poll for larger policy and some specifics, otherwise it is the domain of the Ministers to decide the exact moves. Where things have not been covered beforehand, the Prez should have the authority to act on their own initiative. There is no need to go to the ppl to decide exactly how to move that unit to this point, or in what order to make these improvements. If such a thing is important enough to be polled on, then fine. if not, then it should be clear to all that this is tantamount to giving the elected officials the right to do what they were elected for.

That is all.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!