Old June 23, 2002, 22:59   #1
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Foreign Ministry report for 2950 B.C.
We have traded with the French!

In the year 2950 B.C., it came to my attention that the French were willing to trade their (newly discovered) Warrior Code for our Ceremonial Burial and 5 gold per turn. We accepted this deal, as it will apply well towards the doom of France, and the 5 g.p.t was going to be spent on tech anyways.

With this trade, France's diplomatic stance on us has betterd itself. They are now polite to me in diplomatic talks, which really helps, cuz if you ever knew a rude French person.. well, it just doesnt get much ruder! So this new polite stance between our nations will enable easier trades between now and their demise.

France's coffers have shrunk! The last time we reported on French money assets, they had 45 gold. They now have 13.

France has yet to build a second city! They still only have Paris, however, we have recently spotted a French settler.

After trading for Warrior code, a trade for Alphabet is still not possible.

Joan still has bronze working which we do not have, but it is not worth thinking of trade for, because we are 1 turn away from that tech.

Joan invited me over for croissants while their french foreign minister spoke with my secretary. Through some talks, my secretary was able to report to me the following.

1: The French still fear our warriors (they're french, if you can name something they DON"T fear.. then you know more than me)
2: L'armée de France is still bigger than its Apolytonian equivalent.
3. The French think we are a backwards people (they have a two tech lead. This will change in one turn tho, as we will disover bronze working)
4. The French are still unimpressed with our culture (Like they can judge!)
5. The best unit L'armée de France can boast is still the Warrior. Unlike the last time their military technology was reported, my secretary is more sure of himself now (i don't know why...)

With the trade for Warrior Code, we may now better put into operation the future inclusion of the french people into our empire. However they will soon have a second city, if not more.

This is all I have to report for the year of 2950 B.C.
Old June 23, 2002, 23:34   #2
Timeline
King

Well Mr Ninot, this is just great work on your and tass' part.

There were many people who were disgusted and disgruntled over your not trading of techs during the last turn chat. It seems these critics owe you an apoligy as you have saved us a great deal of invaluable time in achieving our goal - All just by showing patience and reasonableness!

Excellent work!

Last edited by Timeline; June 23, 2002 at 23:59.
Old June 23, 2002, 23:52   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:07
I agree. The price for Warrior Code was dear, but not unmanagable. We need the tech soon so getting it is a good idea.

However, for future trades... waiting til the last possible moment can have benefits. Let other AI civs buy the tech first, that reduces the cost to us. Let us discover other civs first, if they have the tech that reduces the cost to us. Not trying to tell you know to do your job. Simply pointing out how the Gods have arranged affairs.
Old June 23, 2002, 23:55   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

BTW. 2 questions.

1. I take it Joan has no contacts with any other civs. Is this correct?

2. Do you feel we need to purchase any other tech in the forseeable future (10 to 20 turns)?
Old June 24, 2002, 00:16   #5
Ninot
Emperor

As far as we know (from the F4 screen), we are Joan's only "friends"

As far as purchassing techs in the next 10-20 turns, I think it will probably neccesary (if the opportunity arises). It seems we wont be researching much, due to a lower science investment. And if Joan gets something we can afford, like say the Wheel, then I think it would be wise to try for a trade by most means neccesary.

Also, the problem I saw with trading later for a better price was that we can still not be sure how many other people live on the continent we are on, and we will only have so many bargaining pieces for so long. I realise waiting might be prudent, but now the warrior code researching wait will be unneccesary, and that will aid us to set forward our conquering plans faster. If we would have waited 10-20 turns for France to make more contacts (or for us).. that gain in time will have been useless.
Old June 24, 2002, 00:28   #6
notyoueither
Deity

Yes I agree. The Warrior Code trade was executed well. Any other option risked CerBurial losing all value.

However, now that we have the tech required for any plans for war, why buy anything till the last possible moment? Cash never loses it's value, the tech just gets cheaper and cheaper. In the long run, it's easier to keep up if you wait, if that makes sense.

One exception to the hold cash position is in the case of a barb eruption. Then buy what ever you can get your hands on if a city is threatened.
Old June 24, 2002, 04:18   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's good to have cash when you are strong. Otherwise there's always a risk that barbarians take it, or it tempts the neighbors to extort it. I don't consider Apolytonia to be strong after this start, not yet. We should not stockpile money, but use it immediately to trade techs.

We have secured Bronze working and Warrior code. That's all we need for now. The further research order does not much matter, because we'll need all the required techs anyway and it's not likely, that we'll catch any ancient wonder (if we don't get a leader, that is).
Old June 24, 2002, 09:28   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:07
Great report, Ninot! Let's hope you can keep up this level of detail when we meet all the other Civs.

The trade was a bit of a gamble and I wasn't too sure of it at the time, but after some thought it was a good option. We now have the tools needed for case Pink. The only drawback is that we are pretty much unable to make any more GPT agreements for techs until 20 turns are up. This is small, however, as we have got our number one priority tech under our belts.

/me opens "MrWhereItsAt's School for Professional Archers"

I'll make MILLIONS!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 24, 2002, 12:51   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 23:07
And you'll donate them to our war effort, won't you, MWIA? Won't you? WON'T YOU!!!!!!!!!
Old June 24, 2002, 13:02   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

War? What war?

We're not at war YET.

Plenty of time for my millions.

Old June 24, 2002, 13:25   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:07
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
War? What war?

We're not at war YET.

Plenty of time for my millions.
hi ,

you might want to push for more exploration" of the jungle , so that we can find the banana , read dyes and gems , locations , ....

have a nice day
Old June 24, 2002, 13:27   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 23:07
Maybe Banana HQ should build a warrior to explore along the coast.
Old June 24, 2002, 16:23   #13
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Great report, Ninot! Let's hope you can keep up this level of detail when we meet all the other Civs.
Heh, I suppose I should be more pro-war, if I hope to have anything close to a life this summer, were gonna need to eliminate enemies quick! lol

Once we have more neighbors, I believe my reports will be only reporting 1: Changes, 2: full reports on neighbors whom are of interest (future war-enemies and such).

It would be hard to give this kind of detailed report for upwards of 10 civs, lol.
Old June 24, 2002, 16:27   #14
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Perhaps you need to appoint a secratary or ten.

Maybe one for each civ? Then you just fill in the major changes.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 24, 2002, 16:32   #15
Ninot
Emperor

There is an idea! I'll see how I can handle the load, but if i ever need secretaries, i might start appointing (or whoever my succesor will be might, lol)
Old June 24, 2002, 16:39   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:07
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Perhaps you need to appoint a secratary or ten.

Maybe one for each civ? Then you just fill in the major changes.
hi ,

, , ...but one for each civ , , maybe a couple for the most important ones to us , and some that can be called in action , when we go to war with this or that civ , ...

have a nice day
Old June 24, 2002, 16:48   #17
Ninot
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

, , ...but one for each civ , , maybe a couple for the most important ones to us , and some that can be called in action , when we go to war with this or that civ , ...

have a nice day
as soon as I saw the idea, my first thought was "1 for each civ"

But this all depends on how much work I interpret this to be. If i can easily handle 4 myself, then i might appoint a secretary for each culture group.

The problem with War-foreign relations is that we won't have very much to report at all, when the other nation refuses to speak with us. Once they do start talking, we could report optimum peace-deals and all of the following.

But I suspect the Foreign Ministry job won't really pick up untill we meet alot of people, and get more to trade around. I suspect the ministers who enter in after the discovery of Nationalism will have some fun

Oh yeah, instead of calling them secretaries, lets call them Ambassadors. Sounds better
Old June 24, 2002, 16:56   #18
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Ambassador, that's better. Yeah, perhaps could do 3-4 each. I may even be able to do that one, I just can't attend turn chats, but could easily compile info for someone based on a save. Even though Hawk Party and Ambassador don't really seem to go well together, do they?

Emmissary is another possible name that would fit, even for multiple nations...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 25, 2002, 01:13   #19
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

OOOOHHH! Ambassador, I like that title.