Old June 24, 2002, 00:13   #1
Lou Wigman
Warlord

Local Time: 13:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A different kind of MOD
I have played a number of the MODs on offer here although I have spent most of my time on CRADLE.

The gameplay in each of these is essentially the same. The AI gets an enormous science boost. This means that most of the game is spent playing catch-up. Combat is very much a cat and mouse affair trying to lure AI armies into traps where they can be defeated. Building a strong economy and relentless expansion will eventually see the human player get on top. That's the theory anyway. Most of the 'tweaking' has gone into delaying for as long as possible the time it takes to get the better of the AI. There is nothing wrong with this and I certainly enjoy playing these games.

It seems to me that it MAY be possible to develop an entirely different style of game. What I envisage is a game setup where the human player is able to maintain or even pull ahead in science from the very start. However the human players' economy is severely handicapped. Hopefully this will allow the AI to send vast waves of technologically inferior attackers which a small but elite force needs to fend off.

Possible? What do you think?
Old June 24, 2002, 06:16   #2
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 03:07
Vary

All you need to relay do is make some slic to help the AI.

first we make a bit of could which when AI has an advance it automatically makes the building in the AI cites keeping the AI build queue free of obstructions. The second part of the mod would be one to accelerate the time it takes for the AI to make new units e.g. from 4 turns to 2 turns this would double the AI fighting effects.

so you would get wave after terrifying wave of raging hordes of the AI coming into you civ a butchering you elite troops with no need to handicap the users science by much as most of your trade lines are being pirated any way
Old June 26, 2002, 10:10   #3
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 22:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Simple...

Go into DiffDB.txt (or the XXX_DiffDB.txt for a specific mod) and adjust the bonuses/handicaps for the AI for science, gold, production and food. You can give the human player a science bonus by increasing the AI Tech costs, and you can give the AI a production bonus by decreasing the AI production costs.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old June 28, 2002, 06:42   #4
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 03:07
Nice one Hexagonian

so all we need is a civ that gets loads of food from the surrounding are and a science
that’s threw the roof ( so we can now use spy to steel more info)