Old July 10, 2002, 14:44   #31
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 21:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Oh, we are not all caught up in rules...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 11, 2002, 04:20   #32
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Attention War Academy staff!
I started to post links to our War Academy discussion threads in chronoligical order in the first post of this thread. I will try to keep track and add new threads myself. Should I, due to time pressure at work, forget to link one of your threads, please remember me here in our "home thread", because I check this thread often, to include new members. A link to this thread is in my signature, for your convenience.
Old July 12, 2002, 12:35   #33
Micaelus
Settler

Enlist me in your ranks
Old July 12, 2002, 12:41   #34
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 22:09
Welcome aboard, Micaelus! Always nice to get new ideas and fresh perspectives!
Old July 13, 2002, 13:06   #35
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 19:09
count me in. I think this is a tremendous idea. I think right now the war academy is important, but I think once we get into the modern age it should have maybe hundreds of pre-planned scenarios (like in real life goverments) and will be extremely helpful to the pres in the time of war. I think this because usually for me in the ancient and middle ages I rely on brute force in war, but once I get into the late industrial age strategy is much, much more complex and important.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 13, 2002, 13:31   #36
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:09
This sounds like a good idea.
Mayest I join?
Old July 13, 2002, 13:33   #37
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
started to post links to our War Academy discussion threads in chronoligical order in the first post of this thread
That's an amazing effort. I commend you.
(Hopefully reading them will help my CivII game tactics as well!)
Old July 14, 2002, 17:09   #38
Kramerman
Prince

I would like to join as well, though I fear I will not have much time to participate.
Old July 14, 2002, 19:54   #39
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

oh wow, i never *OFFICIALLY* signed up! silly me! add me to the list ralph
Old July 14, 2002, 20:31   #40
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Do we have to sign up *officially* here? Hmmm...

Well, my philosophic drinking mate here wanna join... He's a clever Chinese boy. An honoured member of the Thinkers Guild and the subguild of Drunken Philosophers. He likes warfare, but listen to the genius now! He's got something to tell us:

Quote:
"The consummation of forming an army is to arrive at formlessness. When you have no form, spies cannot find anything out and the enemy cannot produce a strategy."
— Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Well, he's a good teacher. I think you will love him.....
Old July 14, 2002, 22:40   #41
The Dark Lord
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Chieftain

Greetings from the LOE! (Lord of Evil)

I would be honoured if thou wouldst accept my most humble and evil person into the ranks of the mighty War Academy.

I wouldn't mind if you didn't mock me for trying to sound noble too

What I feel I can add to TWA:

General strategic ideas with little merit intended mainly to promote free thinking, long term strategy, and ways to get out of situations which are REALLY bad.

Please, accept me into your ranks. You will not regret it.
Old July 17, 2002, 03:16   #42
Decimus
Settler

I would like to join the War Acadamy. And finaly have a place to discuss strategy.
Old July 19, 2002, 18:00   #43
Will 5001
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

I would also like to sign up, I have kept up with most of the threads and it seems stupid not to join!! Count me in!!
Old July 22, 2002, 13:37   #44
The_Spartan
Settler

I will join as well.
Old July 25, 2002, 07:36   #45
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 23:09
I would like to join please.
Old July 26, 2002, 14:55   #46
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Sir Ralph,

Can you add this old warhorse to the staff as well, please.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old July 29, 2002, 17:00   #47
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

It seems that some citizen, including me, have not a readily access to maps ; even a member opened a thread to regroup maps, and only maps, and although a few interesting maps were submitted, they are now mixed with posts, etc.

So, I suggest that the War Academy takes steps to make available to all interested an updated set of maps of military interest.
Old July 31, 2002, 22:39   #48
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

If it's not too late, I'd like to join...

-- adaMada
Old August 1, 2002, 00:42   #49
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 23:09
its never too late.

1000th post!

*Strength and Honor!*
Old August 5, 2002, 02:44   #50
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

The greatest interest of the War Academy and the Machiavelli Institute is to discuss military problems for one, and diplomatic issues for the other, without any liabilities to general politic. In mixing the two approachs in some threads, I am not sure that we make the analysis easier and clearer.
The case of a thread headed the War Academy associated with a minister is still worse, of course, since it endangered the independance of the Academy.

Any opinion ?

Last edited by DAVOUT; August 5, 2002 at 08:47.
Old August 5, 2002, 07:01   #51
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:09
I'd like to join.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 5, 2002, 07:50   #52
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Welcome, Shiber.

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
The greatest interest of the War Academy and the Machiavelli Institute is to discuss military problems for one, and diplomatic issues for the other, without any liabilities to general politic. In mixing the two approachs in some threads, I am not sure that we make the analysis easier and clearer.
The case of a thread headed the War Academy associeted with a minister is still worth, of course, since it endangered the independance of the Academy.

Any opinion ?
I include such threads written for two institutes in the thread library and set the other institute as a remark. I know, that in some matters political/diplomatic and military problems can't be separated. Since Clausewitz we know that the latter is the continuation of the former by other means. As long as it goes not entirely off topic, I think we can tolerate this.

Sometimes I see War academy threads being started, just to show some own contribution, although there are existing threads with a very similar topic. This I don't appreciate much. First, it blows up the thread library and leads to confusions. Second, it makes it harder to respond to them, because often I could answer to 3 questions in 3 threads with one single post.

So for instance, if there is a thread "Strategies for the upcoming French campaign", it is pointless to open a thread "Should we use galleys against France", "The way to approach for our troops" or "When shall we declare war on France", because the latter 3 threads are subtopics for the former and thus are just spam. Note, that I'm not talking about existing threads; the mentioned threads are hypothetical and are meant just for demonstration purposes. You get the point.

About the Academy losing independence because it's led by a minister: That is just a temporary issue. I won't run for an office anymore and will always remain independent. Since I was elected in the government, I was quite inactive, did not open a single War academy thread and only occasionally responded to others. I don't think that I cause the academy to be under governmental influence.
Old August 5, 2002, 08:43   #53
DAVOUT
King

Sir Ralph,

Thank you for your comments.

I suggest the 3rd § be inserted in your top thread as guidelines for opening threads under the War Academy heading. It will help new comers, and possibly old ones !

I was not refering to you, since you have not personnally opened bi-headed War Academy threads, but to Road to France (Dpt. of Public Works. - Nothing personnal of course, it is a matter of principle).

As for the Clausewitz explanation, I am not sure it applies ; it answers the question why do we wage war, not how. IMHO, on subjects such as Contingencies Plans or Defensive case N/W, the Machiavelli Institute should provide the War Academy with the most probable diplomatic picture(s), and from that the War Academy would analyse the military consequences.
Old August 5, 2002, 08:44   #54
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Yes, I see your point here. No problem.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old August 5, 2002, 08:48   #55
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I'd like to join.
hi ,

welcome Shiber

Sir Ralph , great job on the updates and other info

have a nice day
Old August 5, 2002, 09:36   #56
Robber Baron
Prince

I agree with Sir Ralph on the issue of cross-indexing threads as both War Academy and Machiavelli Institute. In some cases, the two spheres overlap, and there's not much harm, IMO, in inviting both communities/perspectives in on debate in those cases. Not much harm, and probably a great deal of good, in some cases. I certainly did not intend the Institute to encroach on the Academy's territory.

I suggested the creation of a seperate institution mainly because I was so impressed with the precision and thoughtfulness military planning took on as itcame under the umbrella of an "Academy" -- and because it seemed to me that there would be occasions and opportunities to discuss foreign affairs and/or diplomacy in contexts other than war with the same precision and thoughtfulness. War, as Clausewitz tells us, is an exercise of foreign policy, though only one kind of action, among many others.

And, for what it's worth, I have no problem with Sir Ralph serving in our government. I cannot see how it impaired the Academy's effectiveness, and hope it did not in any way inhibit Sir Ralph's participation in this forum.

[edit: added to clarify:] I also hope he feels free to hold office again in the future if he wants to. His expertise is invaluable to us.
Old August 5, 2002, 09:49   #57
DAVOUT
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Robber Baron

And, for what it's worth, I have no problem with Sir Ralph serving in our government. I cannot see how it impaired the Academy's effectiveness, and hope it did not in any way inhibit Sir Ralph's participation in this forum.

[edit: added to clarify:] I also hope he feels free to hold office again in the future if he wants to. His expertise is invaluable to us.
I have no problem either, all the more, as I said above :
I was not refering to you, since you have not personnally opened bi-headed War Academy threads, but to Road to France (Dpt. of Public Works. - Nothing personnal of course, it is a matter of principle).
Old August 5, 2002, 15:29   #58
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I'd like to join.
Old August 5, 2002, 17:12   #59
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
Sir Ralph,

Thank you for your comments.

I suggest the 3rd § be inserted in your top thread as guidelines for opening threads under the War Academy heading. It will help new comers, and possibly old ones !

As for the Clausewitz explanation, I am not sure it applies ; it answers the question why do we wage war, not how. IMHO, on subjects such as Contingencies Plans or Defensive case N/W, the Machiavelli Institute should provide the War Academy with the most probable diplomatic picture(s), and from that the War Academy would analyse the military consequences.
I understand what you mean about some things not being combined, but think that others should be... I think that all military plans should also have a diplomatic analysis thread, and it seems easier to combine them into one thread at times.

For example, "Defensive Case N/W" -- I started that thread, and I opted for having one thread for both War plans and diplomatic options; I thought of making two threads on the subject, but didn't want to overrun people with threads on the topic (if nothing else, taking up valuable front-page space) . Perhaps the leaders of the War academy and the Machiavelli Institute could deside what the best way to handle situations like that?

-- adaMada
Old August 5, 2002, 18:45   #60
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

My bad, I didn't sign up either. I want to join.

Just don't try to take my weapons......