Old June 24, 2002, 17:56   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
IE Minister
Ok, as I was gone for the weekend (parents were visiting and had to clean the house and then entertain them..... ) my campaining for the IE Minister position got started on the 3rd page of the 'other' thread. If any of you get that far you will note all the political smear. Ouch. It is a tough, mean, low, back stabbin kinda smear. The kind you would expect with party politics. Thus, I decided to start my own thread.

A vote for me is a vote for efficiency. A vote for independance.

OK, my background. Real world. I am a Civil Engineer. I build condo's. I deal with politicians every day. Pain in the arse. But I know politics. I know how to manage a division of a government (I used to do that also). I once was the licensed engineer for the ninth largest city in the state of Michigan (population wise). (For those who don't know where Michigan is, it is the part of the US surrounded by all the large lakes between the US and Canada. Detroit is the largest city. Westland, the 9th largest, is a suburb of Detroit.)

I was also in the US Peace Corps, in Ecuador, where I wrote the manual entitled "A PC guide to bribing public officials - or how to get your work done and keep your butt out of jail". Needless to say, although the peace corps doesn't recognize the existance of said manual, you can still find copies in their library, as well as several floating arount the embassy somewhere I am sure.

As IE minister, I will make the decisions on where to place new cities. I intend to listen to comments, advise, suggestions, etc. I may even post a poll or two. But I will make the decisions. That is how I intend to run my ministry. Of course, that also means that if you are not happy, than you know who to blaim.

I shall place the cities to make us strong. I shall maximize our borders. I shall make as many resourses, whether stratigic or otherwise, available for our people. When we build on the remains of others, I shall maximixe the existing roads and other civic improvement within our usable city radius. That is what I shall do as IE minister.

One day we shall rule, and I shall place the cities to help make that happen.

Thank you for your vote.
Godking

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 24, 2002, 18:21   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Hi, I'm skywalker, and I think you should elect me for the post of Imperial Expansion Minister because:

I support a policy of rapid expansion that doesn't hurt our military or cause serious corruption problems.

I am on almost every day (I might miss a day or two per month) and will be available to listen to your opinions.

I won't follow a course of action until I am sure what the people want.

I will consider (in my report) every option proposed to me when advising our President, but will support whichever has the most votes.

I promise free bananas for all!

Thank you, and may the force be with me
Old June 24, 2002, 18:29   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:10
(If the others agree) The DIA officially opposes you (edit becuase skywalker posted before i finished: GodKing) very strongly for your explicit promise to not listen to or poll the people much .

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 24, 2002, 18:42   #4
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

If I may;

I didn't say I wouldn't listen. What I did say is that I will retain the right to make my own decision.

In the real world, just because all others jump off the bridge, doesn't mean that I will to. So with the IE position.

All other opinions count. As they rightfully should. As may be the case, others can (and have ) come up with better ideas than myself. If they do so, and I do hope thay do, than I shall do my best to give due credit.

If I am elected to do the job, I must have the authority to do it. I will make the decisions. I will be the one responsible (for good or ill). I will also listen. Thank you.

--Con
Old June 24, 2002, 18:45   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

You have to listen to the polls. POLLS ARE GOD!!!!!!!!!

- attributed to the Banana
Old June 24, 2002, 19:08   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I thought The Banana was god .

The spirit of democracy is in the people ruling. If they jump off a cliff the country must too. Our people are reasonable and intelligent enough to avoid such major mistakes (at least the majority is)

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old June 24, 2002, 19:21   #7
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:10
Eat the peel first, right?

Skywalker, I have the following question:

You have stated you will follow the course provided by whatever is voted on democratically?
Quote:
I won't follow a course of action until I am sure what the people want
Does this mean every time you are presented with a choice, you will need to begin a vote? And to that extent, does that mean you will demand an end to any turnchat when you are provided with a choice? What I am getting around to is, do you value the opinion of the public so much that you must stop at every turn for their voice?
Old June 24, 2002, 19:25   #8
GodKing
Emperor

As taken from the proposed constitution:

Quote:
"Ministerial Branch

Ministers make up the core of our government. They do the hard labor required to point our country in the right direction. Ministers are experts in the area they oversee, and they have the serious task of informing and advising the people on our situation. They are required to conduct polls in order to interrupt the people’s will. They are then to carry out that will, by giving their direction to the President.

All Ministers are allowed to advise and consult with each other. They are also granted the right to petition for changes or actions from other Ministers that may be critical to the their department. Ultimately, however, it is the Minister in charge of his/her section that has the final say in how things are handled. "
I added the emphasis.

This tells me that although polls are good. It is the minister who NEEDS to be in charge. Someone has to be responsible. If you think that people have to be inteligent, reasonable, etc, you need more experience IMHO. For the past 100 years, it has been a crime to swear on public waterways in the state of michigan punnishable by up to 5 years in jail. All for just muttering a 4 letter word when you loose your paddle and your canoe tips over.....

We elect ministers to guide our empire. To keep us from jumping off the cliff if we are stupid enough to try it. That is why we place our "public trust" in these individuals.

Appologies if is sounds like I am attacking you. Not my intention. I simply feel that the people we elect need to listen. But they also need to have the authority and ability to make decisions. And they need to understand that it is ultimately their responsibility (no matter how many bananas they have) that those decisions are made, for good or ill. Hopefully those elected will do the good.

--Con
Old June 24, 2002, 21:45   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

A few questions
To both (all) candidates...

1. If you have ideas about how best to play the game (ie city placement, spacing and so on) are you willing to listen to others and adjust your thinking?

2. If a plan is widely perceived as good, will you place cities where the plan calls for them rather than where you might normally prefer?

3. Do you support Case Pink and will you place the next two cities where they are called for by the plan?

4. What levels of difficulty have you mastered in Civ3 SP?
Old June 24, 2002, 22:06   #10
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Hello. I'm Jonny, and here's why you should vote for me as your new IE minister.

Firstly, I try to place cities in places where they can be most efficent and productive. In my first attempt to become IE minister, I said I supported optimum city spacing. However, we started in the middle of a jungle, so you can throw all that out the window. I now try to place them where they can be most productive.

Second, you should vote for me because I have some experience of being IE minster. I was the deputy IE minster for Timeline, so I have some valuable experience that none of the other candidates have.

Thirdly, I promise to always listen to the voice of the people. I will almost never place a city without polling the people about what we should do first. This is a democracy, and the people are part of the government.

Finally, I promise that everyting I'll do will not be all based on politics and political parties. Everyone's opinion counts, whether they are part of the DIA, UFC, or independent.

For the other Minister of Imperial Expansion campaign thread, go here:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1

I thank you for your vote in advance.
Old June 25, 2002, 07:52   #11
civman2000
Emperor

Quote:
This tells me that although polls are good. It is the minister who NEEDS to be in charge. Someone has to be responsible. If you think that people have to be inteligent, reasonable, etc, you need more experience IMHO. For the past 100 years, it has been a crime to swear on public waterways in the state of michigan punnishable by up to 5 years in jail. All for just muttering a 4 letter word when you loose your paddle and your canoe tips over.....

We elect ministers to guide our empire. To keep us from jumping off the cliff if we are stupid enough to try it. That is why we place our "public trust" in these individuals.
Hmmm, I think that's maybe why I don't put my public trust in you .

People in the real world might (in general) be unreasonable. BUt those who play a game like civ and bother enough to spend time at forums for it and even would want to participate in a demo game tend to be intelligent. Indeed, I have seen very few dumb apolytonians and even fewer in the demo games (Ok maybe a couple but I don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings ).

I know that constitutionally you can ignore the people (don't bother saying you're not ignoring them it's just a short word to use quickly, even if it's an exaggeration), but that doesnt make it right.

Old June 25, 2002, 07:55   #12
civman2000
Emperor

I predict the answers:
1. all yes
2. all except GodKing yes
3. all yes
4. Jonny: regent; skywalker: king; GodKing: regent

Old June 25, 2002, 08:01   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

Ninot -

As the only real decisions I make are where to place cities and in what order, yes, I will post a poll on everything. Little things like how to get the settler there will either be decided in a) a discussion some really bored person creates, b) whichever path will reveal the most territory/be safest, or c) where the bananas fall.
Old June 25, 2002, 08:05   #14
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 03:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I see that both the candidates are very interested in using the land in our proximity to expand into. That lousy jungle, packing city upon city.
Would you be willing to send settlers for some distance if we would find, say grassland on the other side, gazillion light years away.
Old June 25, 2002, 08:08   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

No, because the corruption would be worse than the jungle *GASP* (is that possible?!).
Old June 25, 2002, 09:45   #16
GodKing
Emperor

Quote:
1. If you have ideas about how best to play the game (ie city placement, spacing and so on) are you willing to listen to others and adjust your thinking?
Yes. Others often have different ideas, means and methods for doing things that are just as effective as my ways.

Quote:
2. If a plan is widely perceived as good, will you place cities where the plan calls for them rather than where you might normally prefer?
Possibly. I will definately listen to what people are saying. A lot will depend on whether the plan would be significantly changed. Also, what are the differences in location. Long term vs short term. All will be considered. If I do decide to go differently, I would discuss and give others the opportunity to persuade me. But the responsibility for placement would fall on me and as such I will make what I feel to be the best decision.

Quote:
3. Do you support Case Pink and will you place the next two cities where they are called for by the plan?
In general, I do support Case Pink (and what is the historical reference to this name anyway?) I do feel that we need to explore our area and find the frenchies before we commite ourselves to this or any other path. What if the germans are actually closser, are less well protected,and have better land? There are so many if's at this stage that we need to explore and have them answered.

Quote:
I play on king where I win 70% of the time.

--Con
Old June 25, 2002, 09:52   #17
GodKing
Emperor

Quote:
I see that both the candidates are very interested in using the land in our proximity to expand into. That lousy jungle, packing city upon city.
Would you be willing to send settlers for some distance if we would find, say grassland on the other side, gazillion light years away.
I think we need to explore a lot more before we place any more cities. I don't have a problem placing our cities over by the grasslands as one day we shall have cities over there. Once the french bow to our obvious superiority their cities will undoubtably be further away. In principal I usually play trying to expand as far away as possible at first to get as much land as possible in the beginning. I usually don't even consider war until I have swordsmen, as I like to focus on developing my cities and roadways at first.

--Con
Old June 25, 2002, 10:31   #18
Kuciwalker
Deity

If we don't implement Case Pink now, then it very likely won't work.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:07   #19
GodKing
Emperor

True, if not implimented soon the probability of success drops dramatically. My big concern is that of the long term success of the locations of red & blue. As they are not proposed being next to the river, I am concerned about the long term health of them. If they are intended as temp cities that once we concure a couple of french cities and have some additional resources, etc. they are to be disbanded, then I can support them. But with their overlap of other cities and the fact that they aren't on the river gives me pause. Also, I am nervous in that there is still so much about our surounding and neighbors that we still do not know.

--Con
Old June 25, 2002, 11:11   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

There will be no long term succes at all if we don't manage to defeat the French.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:37   #21
GodKing
Emperor

How can you say that. We don't even know where the french are. Yes, eventually they will need to die. PROBABLY they are the closest to us. But we do NOT know that yet. We need to know before.

All I am proposing is some caution. Use the new archers as scouts. Find the fernch and all other close future victims. Move the spearmen to the start position and bring the archers in by different routes to scout even more. Don't focus on the french. there may be other better victims closer. The french will die soon enough. When we are set to build red and blue, come to terms with how and where. If temp cities, place for maximum effect now with the idea they will be disbanded soon. Else look to the future. If we wish to keep blue because it has a some good improvements, make sure it is in a good healthy spot to do so. no infringing on another city, access to the river, etc.

When the cities are this small, as long as we can connect them with roads the corruption shouldn't be to bad (fingers crossed - we should check on this sometime soon).

--Con
Old June 25, 2002, 17:21   #22
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Re: A few questions
Quote:
Yes. After all, one of my main goals is listening to people.

Quote:
Yes. Once again, listening to the people is a #1 concern.

Quote:
Absolutely. Case Pink is the best plan out there right now, and it is the best thing to do. I suppport Case Pink 100%.

Quote:
On regent I win almost 100% of the time, and I am getting ready to move up to Monarch.
Old June 25, 2002, 17:23   #23
Jonny

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
How can you say that. We don't even know where the french are. Yes, eventually they will need to die. PROBABLY they are the closest to us. But we do NOT know that yet. We need to know before.
Yes, we do know where the french are. See the most recent screenshots of what we have explored. They are up in the upper left.