View Poll Results: Who should become our next Minister of Imperial Expansion?
Jonny (DIA) 31 50.82%
skywalker (UFC) 24 39.34%
GodKing (I) 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28, 2002, 07:33   #31
disorganizer
Prince

Local Time: 03:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i wonder why this poll was not in the active-poll thread?

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old June 28, 2002, 08:50   #32
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
disorganizer,

I am afraid that that thread hasn't been updated for a couple of days. I am not placing any blame, it is a lot of work to keep finding (new threads) and updating the list, and if a week is taken off or so, 10-20 new polls will have been missed. Perhaps we can make it a position (assistant to the recorder or something) that is similar to the position of City Clerk in most local governments here in the US.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 28, 2002, 09:22   #33
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 22:10
Please vote for me!
Old June 28, 2002, 10:30   #34
jdd2007
NationStates
King

if no one gets a majority, we must have a runoff poll...
Old June 28, 2002, 10:37   #35
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:10
(I doubt jdd would have said the same if skywalker had a short lead )
Old June 28, 2002, 10:56   #36
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I don't remember anything about a majority clause for ministries.

where does it say that?
Old June 28, 2002, 11:01   #37
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Whoever gets the most votes wins.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:08   #38
Ninot
Emperor

exactly.. what if all of them were tied? what would a runoff vote do then?

Just cuz he doesnt have 50%+1 doesnt mean hes illegit.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:16   #39
Captain
King

Hmmm... I want to vote for GodKing, but the race is still close between Jonny and Skywalker. No offense to Skywalker, but I don't want him to win. He seems a little too double-minded to me. DIA, then UFC? I'd rather have someone who sticks to his guns and only changes course when in our best interests, not just flippantly. While I'm in favour of flexibility, I fear the ministry could be in danger of not having a plan if under Skywalker.

So use my vote for GodKing? or for Jonny? dunno....
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:21   #40
Ninot
Emperor

Well, voting for Godking would be like making a statement, but not a whole lot more perhaps.

Considering how far behind he is, well, it would be like voting for the.. lets say.. the Progressive Conservative party (or for Americans.. the Green party)

If you want to USE your vote, vote Johnny.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:28   #41
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

This is why i don't like the idea of parties. i get the impression that the 2 parties voted for their candidates quite early (not neccessarily because they thought they were the best candidate), and anyone coming in to vote late or independently thinks a vote for GodKing is wasted.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:36   #42
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgillespie
This is why i don't like the idea of parties. i get the impression that the 2 parties voted for their candidates quite early (not neccessarily because they thought they were the best candidate), and anyone coming in to vote late or independently thinks a vote for GodKing is wasted.
Just like real life!
?

At least in Canada... notice how few independents sit in the assemblies? people don't vote for individuals, they vote for parties. heck, most don't even know their MPs names - they just look for the Liberal, Alliance, PC, Bloc, NDP banners... because the major decisions are passed through party decisions and forced party votes (where did the democracy go? it died when the free vote succumbed to party discipline )

In this case, it's a bit different since we're actually electing ministers whereas in Canada, the PM just appoints them.

Maybe if we had some way of making the elections blind so you couldn't check the results before voting... that might help!
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old June 28, 2002, 12:06   #43
mtgillespie
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

i was thinking the same thing about blind polls. However, i still hope the parties put a lot of thought, into who they propose, and who they vote for, or even that wouldn't make a lot of difference.
Old June 28, 2002, 12:08   #44
Ninot
Emperor

Hey, I've said numerous times that I abhore parties. They lessen the power of the individual, which I think should be the most powerful thing around.

Sure, I don't know my local MP. But I'm sure wether he or she is Bloc or Liberal.. they are PROBABLY in the back-benches.. a simple cat-caller, or something like that.

But.. I haven't voted in a federal election yet. Im sure when I do, I will know my candidates

I think we have something like 3 total independants of 200 somethings seats in Canada. Thats because most of the nation votes Liberal, or splits their vote in one of the other 4 parties.

This post has no point....
Old June 28, 2002, 12:29   #45
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

You want to know why there's parties? Because guys like GodKing want to actually hold a position, instead of just running. Would you say that Skywalker is a fairly popular fellow? If you said yes, then I'd probably laugh. To be honest, I'm actually quite surprised the election is this close now.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:14   #46
Timeline
King

lol,

who did you vote for Trip? And why?
Old June 28, 2002, 14:59   #47
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Trip, I don't get what you are saying?

Yes, if elected (long shot now of course) I would hold the position. Then when time was up I would either rerun or not. And at that time it would of course be up to the voters again. I don't think anyone would want to hold onto any such position for any significant period of time.

Captain, appreciate the vote of confidence. At this time I would advise placing your vote where it would count the most in your opinion. If you think sending a message is important, vote for me like you originally wanted. If on the other hand helping to assure Jonny to win you feel is more important......

Any ways, thanks again.

GK

--Con
Old June 28, 2002, 15:05   #48
Jon Shafer

Here, as in the real world, you can't run truly 'independent' (at least with the way things are now) and expect to win, because most of the involved members are in parties (as it is in the real world as well). The majority of people will vote along party lines, and even many independent voters will vote for one party or another anyways. What I meant by my comment is that unless you're within a party, you won't get nearly as many votes as a party member (unless you're like Jesus or something ). Sorry for the cryptic statement, I had to read it a couple times myself to understand what I was saying.
Old June 28, 2002, 16:02   #49
GodKing
Emperor

thanks for the explanation Trip. i agree, even if not a party member, i do think many people will vote along a party line because of the machine, and the idea that with a machine behind someone that more things may be acomplished.

--Con
Old June 28, 2002, 16:45   #50
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

I'm proud to be a independent, myself.
Old June 28, 2002, 16:46   #51
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Of course, the real question is will win next term? There weren't so many parties at the original elections...
Old June 28, 2002, 18:16   #52
Timeline
King

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
Of course, the real question is will win next term? There weren't so many parties at the original elections...
I think you will most likely win next term if you want the job Punkbass. You have done great work for our nation, and people notice that. Also, the DIA will most likely be supporting you should you run for City Planner next election, even though you are not a member of our party.

Now, this being said, I think parties actually have little impact on our elections here in Apolytonia. Just look at the UFC who had more members than the DIA, yet it seems as though DIA candidates are doing quite well.

The power will always rest with the people, do good for them and they will put us in office, fail them and not even party politics can save us.
Old June 28, 2002, 22:23   #53
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I'd like to thank all of you who voted for me in this election.

I'd also like to thank my opponents for running a hard, close, and exciting race.
Old July 1, 2002, 09:33   #54
GodKing
Emperor

Congrats Jonny.

--Con
Old July 1, 2002, 12:31   #55
Kuciwalker
Deity

Congratulations.