Old June 26, 2002, 02:22   #31
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Accented letters in city names
What happens if accented letters are used in city names? Does the checking convert the letters to their unaccented equivalents before comparing?

Example: New Orleans and New Orléans - these should not be possible in the same game. (Possible French cities: Orléans, New Orléans; Possible American city: New Orleans)

Now imagine you owned both cities (because you're a rampaging warmonger). It's really going to be painful telling them apart.
Old June 26, 2002, 03:10   #32
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 04:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah
There sure are a lot of them. The other half have native Amerind names, and the third half (mostly tiny villages) are named after their founder.

Not to forget the spanish names.
Old June 26, 2002, 04:10   #33
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Andreiguy
In the game, the Egyptians have a city called "This". I guess it would make sense in Arabic. I recently got a report of "This is not growing, your grace". I also despise how Firaxis couldn't make just about 10 more city names for each civilization. Have you ever heard of a Frankfurt 2?

Thank you and goodbye.
Currently playing the Egypt, and, inspired by the way that name works, I rapidly founded:

That
The Other One
Nobody
Everybody
Somebody

and...

The Idiot Over There (or was it Thar? -- darn length limitations!)

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 26, 2002, 14:25   #34
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SwitchMoO
Nothing quite like Happy Valley Goose Bay in Newfoundland and Labrador. Also in that province, Dildo.
That's what's missing.... Dildo, Pennsylvania!

Old June 26, 2002, 14:28   #35
Thrawn05
King

Re: Accented letters in city names
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
What happens if accented letters are used in city names? Does the checking convert the letters to their unaccented equivalents before comparing?

Example: New Orleans and New Orléans - these should not be possible in the same game. (Possible French cities: Orléans, New Orléans; Possible American city: New Orleans)

Now imagine you owned both cities (because you're a rampaging warmonger). It's really going to be painful telling them apart.

Accented letters are accepted. I already changed many of the Roman cities with the 'ae' in it to a 'æ'. So Cumae turns ***æ.

Damn you apolyton for your idiot censor!
Old June 26, 2002, 15:26   #36
SomeOneElse
Chieftain

some weird Maryland cities:
theres a Pasadena, MD
and a Bel Air, MD (when I was little I thought the Fresh Prince of Bel Air took place there)

and a Berlin, MD
Old June 26, 2002, 21:48   #37
Andreiguy
Warlord

Quote:
Currently playing the Egypt, and, inspired by the way that name works, I rapidly founded...
Haha.

LOL about the censor. Blanking out the names of ancient cities, this really needs to be addressed!
Old June 26, 2002, 22:11   #38
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:11
Dutch dammit
Old June 27, 2002, 07:01   #39
The Pioneer
Prince

A very weird name that once saw was Cuba in Missouri.

Also to add to my comment above I have to say that I forgot the biggest one of all: Philadelphia (City of Brotherly Love!!!) is of course Greek /the name of course not the city itself ) It was the first capital of the newly established republic of the Americas, which goes to prove my point that lots and lots of cities in the States bare Greek names!

I am just wondering: How come?!
Old June 27, 2002, 11:20   #40
Andreiguy
Warlord

Thank you!!
I've been in an argument for a LONG time with a friend who claims Philadelphia is an Indian name. The "delphia" gives it away. It's Greek.

right again ...
Old June 27, 2002, 16:10   #41
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Dutch dammit
hi ,

, Amsterdam , Rotterdam , is that what you mean , ....

have a nice day
Old June 27, 2002, 16:46   #42
The Pioneer
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Andreiguy
Thank you!!
I've been in an argument for a LONG time with a friend who claims Philadelphia is an Indian name. The "delphia" gives it away. It's Greek.

right again ...
Of course it's Greek. It means "Brotherly Love", everybody that lives around Philly knows that.

The name derives from two words:

Philia = Friendship
Adelphia = Brothers

As I said there are a lot of Greek named towns around!
Old June 27, 2002, 17:26   #43
spicytimothy
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:11
This is my most successful thread ever. I can't believe a simple observation can generate such discussions...

Anyways, I just like to see the way the names work... last time i played, the Americans are destroyed then reborn, and before the Americans get to New York, the Brits build a New York near the original American area... and the Americans skipped that name... haha

in my personalized games, i put Hong Kong for both England and China and at the same place (like the order of cities)... this is a good gauge for me to traack who's doing better.

and just wanna point out, a lot of ppl replying are talking about who owns what cities in the first place etc... what's the point?? Hollywood is famous for US, as are Los Angeles, and all the others... the only reason i asked about New York is because the way cities are named in the game. I hope they do something with the "Beijing 2" thingy... The only place where i've seen this type of naming is in O'Brien's novel "Going After Cacciato"... he names villages in Vietnam 2s and 3s...

spicytimothy
Old June 27, 2002, 17:34   #44
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
There sure are a lot of them. The other half have native Amerind names, and the third half (mostly tiny villages) are named after their founder.
How many halfs does America have?
Sorry, I just had to pick on that one. But apart from the maths your right, of course.
Old June 28, 2002, 13:50   #45
SubLimey
Settler

A few notes:
Both England and America have relatively major cities named Lincoln.
The original Philadelphia (or at least an ancient Philadelphia) seems to have been Roman even if the name is Greek. It is now known as Amman in Jordan.
In the great province of Ontario, we have a few oddities too- the city of Kitchener used to be Berlin, but was renamed during WW1 for the British general who invented the concentration camp (during the Boer War). In a similar vein, there is also a Swastika in Ontario. Not to mention Essex and Wyoming (there is also an Ontario in California). Personal favourites include Rutter, Dorking, and best of all Moonbeam.
One question - whats up with all the Lebanon's across the US? It seems like every state has at least one.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:05   #46
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
Accented letters are accepted. I already changed many of the Roman cities with the 'ae' in it to a 'æ'. So Cumae turns ***æ.
how come it cencored ***æ and not Cumae?

you can also change Konigsberg into Königsberg and heaps others as well
Old June 28, 2002, 14:09   #47
Gangerolf
Prince

...and even give the german cities german names, Cologne -> Köln, Munich -> München, Nuremberg -> Nürnberg.
and Moscow ->Moskva
Old June 28, 2002, 14:12   #48
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangerolf
...and even give the german cities german names, Cologne -> Köln, Munich -> München, Nuremberg -> Nürnberg.
and Moscow ->Moskva
There's already a thread with city names

I prefer having cities in their original spelling.
Old June 28, 2002, 16:18   #49
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
I was in Hollywood the other day. Quite small, near Derby (UK).
Alot of American cities share names with small villages in England.
Ahh, but is your Hollywood over run with bulemic actresses and transvestite hookers? Didn't think so...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 28, 2002, 17:05   #50
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 21:11
Quote:
Ahh, but is your Hollywood over run with bulemic actresses and transvestite hookers? Didn't think so...
lol. Yep, from the description above, I'd say there is no way your Hollywood is better than ours. *chant* U S A, U S A, U S A.

Kman
Old June 29, 2002, 07:05   #51
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
The other half have native Amerind names, and the third half (mostly tiny villages) are named after their founder.
Huh? I see you didn't do well in math at school.

Quote:
Then again, America is a small village in The Netherlands ...
Or geography. You can sink all of Holland in any one of the Great Lakes, and still have room to spare.
Old June 29, 2002, 07:14   #52
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

Huh? I see you didn't do well in math at school.

Or geography. You can sink all of Holland in any one of the Great Lakes, and still have room to spare.
Speaking of geography: Holland is not the same as The Netherlands...
Old June 29, 2002, 07:27   #53
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucilla

Yes I realize that, it's actually one of the provinces, but most people don't. Holland for North Americans at least means the same thing as The Netherlands does.
Old June 29, 2002, 08:39   #54
Fraze
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucilla

I've always wondered about that, the two names are pretty much interchangeable in England too.

I always felt it was pretty unimaginative of colonists to name there towns after where they came from. Why can't they think up new names.
Old June 29, 2002, 08:46   #55
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

There's heaps of people who'd say that Scottish, Welsh or even Irish people are English. In Germany (that's where I come from) people generally don't distinguish between England, the UK or Great Britain and Ireland. And I started using "The Netherlands" instead of "Holland" when I moved to The Netherlands, although I was aware of the difference beforehand.

Edit: Just to make sure that I'm not misunderstood: I think people should be aware the differences and use the terms accordingly.

Last edited by Lucilla; June 29, 2002 at 08:51.
Old June 29, 2002, 09:01   #56
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 23:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Fraze
I've always wondered about that, the two names are pretty much interchangeable in England too.

I always felt it was pretty unimaginative of colonists to name there towns after where they came from. Why can't they think up new names.
Nostalgia.
Old June 29, 2002, 09:39   #57
HazieDaVampire
King

NewYork is American, New York is English, there!

And this has had me confused for a while, is Prussia got somthing to do wit the Germans? Cuz in EE they had Prussian Cavalry in one of the WW1 missions
Old June 29, 2002, 10:44   #58
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
And this has had me confused for a while, is Prussia got somthing to do wit the Germans? Cuz in EE they had Prussian Cavalry in one of the WW1 missions
Prussia has a lot to do with Germany. Here's part of the article about Prussia from the Encyclopedia Britannica:
Quote:
Prussia, German PREUSSEN, Polish PRUSY, in European history, any of certain areas of eastern and central Europe, respectively (1) the land of the Prussians on the southeastern coast of the Baltic Sea, which came under Polish and German rule in the Middle Ages; (2) the kingdom ruled from 1701 by the German Hohenzollern dynasty, including Prussia and Brandenburg, with Berlin as its capital, which seized much of northern Germany and western Poland in the 18th and 19th centuries and united Germany under its leadership in 1871; and (3) the Land (state) created after the fall of the Hohenzollerns in 1918, which included most of their former kingdom and which was abolished by the Allies in 1947 as part of the political reorganization of Germany after its defeat in World War II.
Old June 29, 2002, 11:38   #59
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 21:11
Quote:
Holland for North Americans at least means the same thing as The Netherlands does.
Yeah, whats the deal with that. Wasn't "The Netherlands" once called Holland or something. Its just I've heard it refered to as Holland before, and I'm pretty sure they weren't talking about a province in "The Netherlands". I shall forever be suspicious of a country that puts "The" in their name though.
Old June 29, 2002, 11:42   #60
Fraze
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Like The United States of America for instance