Old June 25, 2002, 01:47   #1
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
WISH List
After reading a bunch of posts here... Not even close to 1/4 of them... I've decided to see what else everyone else wanted/would like to see/wished for in an upcoming patch or in the expansion pack?

I've seen people mention that certian things where in CIV 2 and even in CIV 1 but were left out of CIV3 Having played many war games I prefer to be able to blow ships or towns out of existance.

Another thing is that I'd like to see the battle aspect of the game be a bit more realistic in that there are many times when, say like a spearman kills a pikeman... A bit odd that they can do that. Sure given certian circumstances it can and will happen.

I know many have 'complained' about the way the governer does things... So that's a given

And yet another is the fact that the game is Mouse based... You have a lot of clicking to do... That isn't that good. Given there are many keyboard shortcuts... But how many actually use them all. I use many in the 'play' screen, and only a few in the city screen.

I also read where you were able to terraform in the other version... Gee! That'd be perfect! Especially, say if you were removing a mountain and could get shields or stuff for it!

I'd personally like to see the game lengthened!!! LOL

Well, I have a lot more on my wish list... But I'll let everyone else put theirs in
Old June 25, 2002, 05:56   #2
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 03:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hi, theres a load of threads kicking around on this, but:

1) Lethal bombard I agree should be there, for example planes can and do sink ships.

2) Spearman - Pikeman isnt really an issue, it could happen. What rats everyone off is when their Modern Armor gets killed by a Pikeman (whats it do? poke it to death???)

Governors ive never used, terraform would be good though, that would mean an effective way to control global warming at last (and global warming is real? 50 years ago people were worrying about "global cooling"

Im no scientist, but its a thought.

Personal ones:
1: Bring back the permanent strategic alliance. I miss that.
2: More diplomatic options (pollution treaties, nuclear treaties, the ability to ask one civ to stop attacking another?) etc
3) Greater spy options to be more underhand, for instance sabotaging the transport links to vital resources

And more that I cant think of right now
Old June 25, 2002, 06:49   #3
Deathwalker
Prince

The thing I want most is for the game to last longer. not go into the furture but mearly exspand the last two hundred years of the game. E.G. more modern units and improvments and slow the turn rate down.
Old June 25, 2002, 10:53   #4
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Yes! More realistic battles and deplomacy!
As for global warming. Yes... For the past 15 years I've seen the winters in my region grow warmer and warmer. If that isn't due to global warming... Then I don't know. Back in the 60's I remember each and every winter we had snow. Then now.. Even back in the mid 80's we were concidered lucky to have snow... Except for the winter of 86... We had a blizzard...

Oh well... Back to the game!
Definately more diplomatic options! And yes... I knew but couldn't remember a good example for the battle as the current game Im playing hasn't reached the modern era
Old June 25, 2002, 11:24   #5
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 22:11
Re: WISH List
Quote:
Originally posted by ACTD_Ran
I've seen people mention that certian things where in CIV 2 and even in CIV 1 but were left out of CIV3 Having played many war games I prefer to be able to blow ships or towns out of existance.
You can blow ships out. Just set Lethal Bombard in the Editor.

Quote:
Another thing is that I'd like to see the battle aspect of the game be a bit more realistic in that there are many times when, say like a spearman kills a pikeman... A bit odd that they can do that. Sure given certian circumstances it can and will happen.
Ditto on the editor, add a few hit points to the more modern units.

Quote:
And yet another is the fact that the game is Mouse based... You have a lot of clicking to do... That isn't that good. Given there are many keyboard shortcuts... But how many actually use them all. I use many in the 'play' screen, and only a few in the city screen.
If you don't use the keyboard commands they did give, why are you complaining? Nearly the entire game can be played with just the keyboard.

Quote:
I also read where you were able to terraform in the other version... Gee! That'd be perfect! Especially, say if you were removing a mountain and could get shields or stuff for it!
I don't remember terraforming doing anything to mountains, tundra and deserts, yes.
Old June 25, 2002, 13:30   #6
ShredZ
Chieftain

I would really like to slow the game down a bit, you only get a handful of turns in the beginning, before you know it youre already using riflemen. I dont feel you get a lot of time to spend with each unit before it become obsolete... Im sure in the editor there is a way to increase the beaker count for each tech, but I dont like messing around with that...
Old June 25, 2002, 18:13   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
hi ,

a colony should stay , when inside "cultural borders" , not when in a city limit (!)
more wonders
more buildings
more units
at least a second UU for each civ
a bigger map
more civ's
a canal
more types of terrain
more options in the editor
more era's
more control on the year's , week's and month's
the ability to chose an end year - the ability to play further then 2050
more "civ-specific-abilities"
more type of government
more resources
a bigger range on airunits (8 is to low)
more control at fields in the editor , like the airunits range that is pre-fixed
more music
more screen's for the advisor's
more "views" when having the foreign advisor screen
the option to see what a civ could use from you in trade
the option to stop all global warming , yet still have pollution
the option to have some blank fields in the units and buildings fields , example you want a nuke sub , but change its options to different values , yet you want all the PCX files and sound to be the same , you would just give it a different name and values
idem for the buildings
natural disaster's
weather
day and night

that's about it for now , .....

if the above would be included , well , .......

one can only hope for it

have a nice day and night

Last edited by Panag; June 25, 2002 at 19:03.
Old June 25, 2002, 18:31   #8
Geekinstein
Settler

All I want for Civ-mass is a better AI...

...but don't call me jimmytrick jr.
Old June 25, 2002, 21:18   #9
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 13:11
Really love the game the it the way it is.
Maybe better editor though with mini map and enabling scenario builders to buld good scenarios for us to play.
Old June 25, 2002, 21:49   #10
Changmai Beagle
Warlord

Local Time: 20:11
Location: Corporate Warlord of the Great White North & Warmer Climes
I rather like Civ III (although I also like modded CTPs (tip of the hat to IW, Hex, P1, etc.))

Panag got there first on some changes. Permanent colonies that you can keep as long as you can defend them militarily (Hong Kong anyone?), Canals.

Information screens and flags ("The English have discovered Radon") so we don't have to clickfest. (or clickfast either)

Stacked combat - although this one is way better than Civ II. I was playing Civ II the other day and lost my entire stack of units before I remembered..... It's doable and doesn't destroy the game. (You could always have it disabled.)

Ability to make each time turn one, two or three movement turns. (Might actually be easy to program), so you actually have time to enjoy an era and have a battle or two of knight v. knight.

Fix, fix fix, please the valuation module for diplomacy. I constantly try to sweeten an offer only to find that they would Never accept a better offer than the one that was close to a deal. I like this diplomacy model, (although the transfer of land model in EUII has some interesting points).

Re: Global warming. It is true that in the 30's we had some extremes - the dustbowl years and the "year without a summer" when snow stayed in the coulees all year round being notable. And it is true that in the late 1960's scientists were warning of global cooling (the coming "little ice age".
But I have clear proof of global warming. When I was young we had snowfalls up over my shoulders almost every year. Now it's only up to my waist at best.
Old June 26, 2002, 01:48   #11
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
* Ability to specify how the years map to turn numbers in the editor. At present, the game starts at 4000 BC and the years go by in steps of 50, gradually diminishing to 1. A scenario maker may want to change this so the years go by at different rates, or are even not years at all. For example, a WWII scenario might have turns be different days in 1943, with turn 1 being 1 Jan 1943, turn 2 being 2 Jan 1943, etc.

* Better ability to control the corruption model in the editor. At present, we have the "communal" corruption model included with the others in a single list of options. Instead, we should have two lists:

catastrophic, minimal, nuisance, etc. (amount of corruption)

centralised, mixed, communal (corruption model. Here, "mixed" is a corruption model midway between centralised and communal)

Also, the corruption model should separate out corruption and waste into two separate components.

* AI's assimilating a colony with a city should be considered an act of war as if the colony was destroyed by a military unit.

EDIT - clarification - the colony assimilation only applies to new cities. Assimilating a colony by culture expansion should not count.
Old June 26, 2002, 09:49   #12
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 23:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Changmai Beagle
But I have clear proof of global warming. When I was young we had snowfalls up over my shoulders almost every year. Now it's only up to my waist at best.
Now I get it. But the average temperature on the planet has increased by about 0.5ºF over the past 20-25 years.
Old June 26, 2002, 09:51   #13
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 23:11
star mouse...

Didn't your signature used to complain that there was no "None" setting for barbarians? Or was that someone else?
Old June 26, 2002, 14:29   #14
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Changmai Beagle
I rather like Civ III (although I also like modded CTPs (tip of the hat to IW, Hex, P1, etc.))

Panag got there first on some changes. Permanent colonies that you can keep as long as you can defend them militarily (Hong Kong anyone?), Canals.

Information screens and flags ("The English have discovered Radon") so we don't have to clickfest. (or clickfast either)

Stacked combat - although this one is way better than Civ II. I was playing Civ II the other day and lost my entire stack of units before I remembered..... It's doable and doesn't destroy the game. (You could always have it disabled.)

Ability to make each time turn one, two or three movement turns. (Might actually be easy to program), so you actually have time to enjoy an era and have a battle or two of knight v. knight.

Fix, fix fix, please the valuation module for diplomacy. I constantly try to sweeten an offer only to find that they would Never accept a better offer than the one that was close to a deal. I like this diplomacy model, (although the transfer of land model in EUII has some interesting points).

Re: Global warming. It is true that in the 30's we had some extremes - the dustbowl years and the "year without a summer" when snow stayed in the coulees all year round being notable. And it is true that in the late 1960's scientists were warning of global cooling (the coming "little ice age".
hi ,

, they ought to put random events and disasters in , ....

have a nice day
Old June 26, 2002, 15:06   #15
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

I haven't tried the editor yet... But I do know and understand the fact that there are many things you can do with it. Most of my Complaining has to do with the game as is, because when I usually play, I just go to "Start new game" and go from there. I don't load scenarios or anything else... Just use the 1.21F patch and go with it. So... With that in mind... I can't do alot of that stuff unless I take the time out to actually start using the editor Or go and grab someone else's scenario... I've read many posts on the editor and have seen many complaints about it, so therefore I'm waiting for the next patch which is suppose to focus upon the editor. Who knows, maybe I'll start using it then. I prefer to play 99% of my games without mods, cheats or anything, I play them 'as is'

Yup Panag! We can hope and wish, and that's why this is a WISHLIST!

One more thing... Better movement! Sometimes I'll try to envlope my opponent... [For tactical reasons such as keeping them out of my territory, or forcing them back into theirs... Or something ] But when I point to a spot to move them to... The path it takes isn't always the most stratigic... Forcing me to move a bit at a time Oh well... We can WISH!
Old June 26, 2002, 15:16   #16
SomeOneElse
Chieftain

random events

better diplomatic interface (ability to see all 16 civs and their relationships, ability to see how much time left in an agreement without contacting the civ)

better trade interface (let me see who i'm trading for and for what, without having to contact the civs. maybe also an ability to see what others are trading to others?)
Old June 26, 2002, 15:32   #17
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeOneElse
random events

better diplomatic interface (ability to see all 16 civs and their relationships, ability to see how much time left in an agreement without contacting the civ)

better trade interface (let me see who i'm trading for and for what, without having to contact the civs. maybe also an ability to see what others are trading to others?)
hi ,

, indeed it shall be needed with 31 civ's , ....

and they should put the ability in to see what you can trade with an other civ , ...

have a nice day
Old June 26, 2002, 16:14   #18
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

a "casualty timeline" , .......

have a nice day
Old June 26, 2002, 20:23   #19
dnassman
Warlord

Also have to agree with better diploatic interface and trade interface. Also would love more detail or summary of the number of unit I've killed or I have lost. Just like what civ2 had. Does anyone know if that exists in civ3 anywhere? Pretty sure it doens't.
Old June 26, 2002, 21:47   #20
star mouse
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
Quote:
Originally posted by dunk999
star mouse...

Didn't your signature used to complain that there was no "None" setting for barbarians? Or was that someone else?
The line from my sig used to be "aagh, make them go away". However, that was not meant to be complaining about the lack of a "None" setting, but the likely reaction by the player during the game to ceaseless waves of barbarians. In other words, more barbarians than "Raging". I changed it when I realised that the meaning of the phrase was ambiguous. I have always played with tons of barbarians, and anyone who plays any mod I may contribute will find the barbarians tougher than usual.

That reminds me -

Wish list - barbarians, barbarians, barbarians

*** Barbarians that can destroy cities. If a barbarian rides into a city, the city should be destroyed if the following conditions are met:[list=1][*]The city has no improvements.[*]The city has a population of 1.[*]The treasury of the city has already been looted once by barbarians.[/list=1]
If these conditions are not met, the barbarians should destroy improvements and population and loot the treasury until these conditions are met.

When the city is destroyed, an encampment appears on that square. This encampment generates new barbarians at twice the rate of a normal encampment, and dispersing this encampment gets back the gold that the barbarians looted from the city.

(Anyone who has played Master of Magic and is familiar with what happens when a city is destroyed by marauding monsters will find this mechanism familiar.)

*** More advanced barbarian units, and more control over when the units appear. At present, it is only possible to set 2 land and 1 sea units for barbarians. If Barbarians appear in the Industrial age, Horsemen won't be any real threat. Instead, the variety of barbarian units should be open-ended. In particular, Barbarian Privateers would be an interesting touch.

*** Barbarian sea units should spawn at sea in the Fog of War if there are no land squares for the Barbarians to spawn in.

*** Barbarian Encampments should spawn units at different rates. At present, encampments spawn single units and "Massive uprisings" with about 20-25. There should also be "small uprisings" with about 3-5 units, and "large uprisings" with about 9-12 units.

*** "Massive uprisings" shouldn't all spawn at the same time. Instead, they should spawn only if the encampment has been there a while.

*** When a "massive uprising" spawns, about 4 sea units should be spawned as well as land units.
Old June 27, 2002, 09:27   #21
Pillager
Settler

I can split my wishes into two categories:

Those that would be introduced only in Civ IV or in a major XP:

- Improved AI
- Rethink of the espionage system
- Enlarged diplomacy system
- Lengthening of the ancient age - I think, and I expect that most would agree, that the ancient age is the best, but it seems to go far too quickly. I know this is partly because there are far fewer things to do, but more modern ideas (e.g., gunpowder, representative govt.) come along far too quickly. In many games, there are only a few turns to use certain units before they are obselete.

Things that could be in an XP or a large patch:

- Change in some UUs, particularly the F-15 and the Man-o'-War
- Change in privateer's strength
- A shortcut for workers (similar to Shift-P) that would mean that they fight pollution but don't wait for orders when there is no pollution
- ** Cities should reassign production to a square that has suffered pollution. It really slows down the modern world if you have ten pollution squares each turn for which you have to open the city window.
- Allow a cancelling of End Turn for units, a la CTP2. A number of times I've pressed it instead of Wait, and there is no unfair advantage gained in being able to cancel an End Turn order
- A warning if a city is about to go into disorder or to flip, probably in a pop-up message above the city, as in the 10 shields message or WLTxD.
- That the above warnings stay above the city until the message is clicked on - it's annoying having to remember which cities have experienced an event at the beginning of each turn.
- A reduction in corruption in democracy, as it is often crippling (even after v1.12) - perhaps a new anti-corruption unit, or the option to build a second FP after a certain number of cities?
- Auto-Bombard
- ** Lethal-Bombard
- Somehow increase importance of naval and aerial units, esp. helicopters.
- Why can spearman be upgraded but not longbowmen?

I know that many of these changes can be effected in the editor, but I think they should be in the game, as it's better if everyone has at least the option of playing exactly the same game with the above alterations.

As for a more general point, I think it should be remembered that Civ III does not reflect history or real-life, and that some absurdities in the game are to be expected for gameplay purposes e.g. the relative differences in movement ability - 3 for a caravel, but only 5 for a sub. I think Civ III is better than its predecessors here. Terraforming, for example, is missed by some who then complain that the game is not realistic enough - when was the last time we were able to level mountains or convert jungle to desert?

Despite all its problems, I do like it, and it is a definite improvement on Civ II, even if it does contain some problems that surely could have been fixed with a little more play-testing.
Old June 27, 2002, 10:07   #22
Austin
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ACTD_Ran
Yes! More realistic battles and deplomacy!
As for global warming. Yes... For the past 15 years I've seen the winters in my region grow warmer and warmer. If that isn't due to global warming... Then I don't know. Back in the 60's I remember each and every winter we had snow. Then now.. Even back in the mid 80's we were concidered lucky to have snow... Except for the winter of 86... We had a blizzard...
As someone who graduated with honours in Environmental Engineering, I'm currently sitting on both hands and biting my tongue off not replying to yet another global warming thread.

It's not pollution, and that's all I'm going to say unless somebody wants more detail.

Austin
Old June 27, 2002, 10:16   #23
Austin
Warlord

One thing I would like to see is supply issues for more modern units.

A bunch of spearmen basically only need to be fed, but a tank division is a very resource intensive thing. For more advanced units, unless they are on or adjacent to a road/Railroad that eventually connects back to a friendly city, they lose a hit point for each square they move.

We already have this trace functionality built into the game for resources and luxuries and trade.

This would, in modern times, make encircling enemy forces a priority. Just like in real life. Why bash the enemy army to death in crude frontal assaults when you can wield your panzers like a rapier, encircle them, and watch them starve.

Austin
Old June 27, 2002, 11:42   #24
Papa Chubby
Warlord

I agree with most of the points that have already been mentioned. Increased complexity in gameplay, both diplomacy and military matters, such as the implementation of sieges. Why does a city gain resources from its outlying squares if you have it surrounded by tanks. Also the ages between the ancient and modern should be lengthened allowing for more turns to be played in that era. The strangest thing I have seen in the development in the Civilisation games is that they always seem to vote for the concept: simpler is better.
Old June 27, 2002, 12:41   #25
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 21:11
I wish I could un-automated the workers. Have you ever tried to track down an automated workers and tell them not to wander near the enemy border?
Old June 27, 2002, 16:47   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger
I wish I could un-automated the workers. Have you ever tried to track down an automated workers and tell them not to wander near the enemy border?
hi ,

, ..... , a little symbol could work , or a special flag , something that tell's the player that the worker is on "auto" , ....

and while we are at it , maybe in its "box" , the number of turns it still needs to do this or that , .... so that you dont have to "click" it , ...

have a nice day
Old June 27, 2002, 17:32   #27
Amadan
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:11
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
, ..... , a little symbol could work , or a special flag , something that tell's the player that the worker is on "auto" , ....

and while we are at it , maybe in its "box" , the number of turns it still needs to do this or that , .... so that you dont have to "click" it , ...
That would be wonderful!
And save a great deal of agrivation and time.
Old June 27, 2002, 23:35   #28
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonsinger
Sorry for laughing... I couldn't help myself. I don't ever automate them after noticing that the governer doesn't do a good job so I figured that the automating of the workers wouldn't be as effective either... I might have to try that out just to see it! lol Maybe their trying to establish a trade route?
Old June 27, 2002, 23:43   #29
dnassman
Warlord

You are actually most likely correct ACTD_Ran about the workers trying to establish a trade route. It would be good to confirm this with someone from Firaxis!!!
Old June 28, 2002, 12:59   #30
Andreiguy
Warlord

I remember how once, the following happened:

I had a little enclave in enemy territory, one city. It had one worker improving the area around it. Suddenly, the worker (automated) goes into enemy territory (we had ROP) and starts improving THEIR territory! I dont stop it, to see what happens. My worker, it turned out, was irrigating their territory until the border, so that he could irrigate the riverless land around my city!

So, automated workers will sometimes even think to do what you won't notice.