Old July 6, 2002, 14:33   #61
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
As far as additions in an XP or Civ4, canals and outposts or forts - a place where you can station troops, get the healing effects of a barrack and the defense of a fortress. Maybe letting you see 2 squares away, as if you were on a mountain.

Missile silos? Not really necessary, just fun.

Trenches. Build only on grasslands or plains, add defensive bonus to infantry and the like. Takes away irrigation, etc.

As previously mentioned, colonies shouldn't disappear when your culture borders expand. They should stay there, and maybe eventually grow into a city?

Fixes: IMO, fighters and bombers are now useless in Civ3. Sure, they can have some uses, but they were more effective in Civ2. Same goes with artillery. Fix it Sid and I will stop the death threats.

UU needs a lot of rethinking and work. F-15? C'mon. Is that all they could pick? And Panzers? whats the point, if they get annihilated by some club-wielding barbarians and spearmen?

Another thing is more for looks, and they made have fixed it in Civ3, i don't know cuz I haven't tried it yet: when fortifications are built adjacent to each other, they should appear to be connected.

I have never won by UN victory, because I never play the option. However, I gather that when the UN is built, they vote and if you are elected, you win, end of game. Correct me if I am wrong.

What I would like to see is, if you are elected to UN, you have the ability to build "peacekeepers". Ideas for them: Nation A is attacked by Nation B. Nation A petitions you, the UN, for help. You can then send in peacekeepers, when can defend only. Don't have details worked out.

Diplomacy: fix the option to trade cities, or remove it. I have offered every city but one to Zululand, just to see if they would accept it, and they don't. Someone explain that to me.

Trading: negotiate the length of agreements.

What happened to nations going into civil war and splitting in half? Was there a specific reason they took it out? Wouldn't it be nice to see Bolsheviks take over half of Russia?

Civs: true, a lot are missing and need to be added, but a lot need to be removed! Yes, Iroquis did noteworthy things. That doesn't mean it needs to be in Civ3. They lived in obscurity until they were conquered: simplistic, yes, but you get my idea. And then the argument about America, which wasn't created until the 18th century. Personally, I think some of you are just hating on the US, but this isn't the place for that. I believe that the Civs that are in the game were decided upon because of their impact on world events, their achievements - cultural, scientific, and military. Rome and Greece are in there for obvious reasons. The same for the rest of the Eurasian countries. As far as America being in there, which nation had a greater effect on the world: America, or Korea?

We all know that the leaders need a lot of work. Give us the option of playing male/female, like in Civ2 - that will quiet the liberal feminists . Also, to satisfy those who want to see Washington give way to Lincoln, then FDR, etc, either have the leaders change in the appropriate year, or have them serving as your ministers. A lot of diff. ways to fix that problem.
Old July 6, 2002, 17:44   #62
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
hi ,

, a SAM ground unit , ...

have a nice day
Old July 6, 2002, 22:12   #63
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:11
After playing populus again for the first time in years I thought how cool it would be if there was a conquest style set of maps/scenarios increasing in difficulty that you could only play by completing the previous level.

About 500 levels would keep me going for a few years.

Instant nuclear response - good idea.
Old July 7, 2002, 00:39   #64
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

The ability to negotiate civs for demands. Like, if Russia comes up and says:

"We want steam power now!"

And I have 31000 gold, I would like to be able to say "Well, we can give you steam power, but how about 10000 gold instead?"

(not a very good scenario, but hey...)
Old July 7, 2002, 03:45   #65
Qilue
King

Local Time: 13:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Verto

Diplomacy: fix the option to trade cities, or remove it. I have offered every city but one to Zululand, just to see if they would accept it, and they don't. Someone explain that to me.
A clarification, you can't trade cities, either to an AI civ or from them. Apparently this was a change made in the first patch.

You can however, give them away like giving gifts of gold, tech or resources. Also, you can get or give cities as part of a peace deal.
Old July 7, 2002, 13:58   #66
Verto
King

Quote:
You can however, give them away like giving gifts of gold, tech or resources. Also, you can get or give cities as part of a peace deal.

That's what I was doing. Guess I confused everyone when I said trade.
Old July 7, 2002, 16:53   #67
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 21:11
While we're at it
This one is a stab at the heart of Firaxis:

In future, get someone on the payroll who has a degree in History or Archeology, please.

I've been looking at the editor and some of the settings you have setup for advances and improvements have absolutely nothing to do with what has already happened. Too many of the advances are allowed when there were numerous precondidtions for their developement and use:

Scientific Method list Medicine and Electricity as prerequisites. The Scientific Method was developed several hundred years before Modern Medicine and Electricity by people like Newton and Copernicus. They adopted a method of testing their ideas that allowed people like van Leeuwenhoek to examine invisible plants and animals which led to Sanitation.

On the history channel, they have showed medical texts that had detailed directions on how to treat specific wounds, like a broken jaw. And one of the skeletons they found in a gravepit from the War of the Roses in 15th Century England showed that the treatments worked: a trooper that had his jaw broken and it had healed. Nasty scar, but he was healthy enough to fight after it had healed.

It seems that in an effort to make the game simple for the masses, they have lost most of the accuracy and detail of how history prgressed. Even the older versions like Civ I and Civ II were better with the logic used to pick historical benchmarks to use for advances and to pick prerequisites. It would be a great improvement to game play if more of the advances were tied together, and relied on earlier advances. After all, most of what Europe learned that allowed the Renaissance came from China and Islamic scholars in Persia.

Do us all a favour and try finding a BBC produced show called "Connections" and watch all of the episodes before attempting to write Civ IV.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old July 7, 2002, 16:55   #68
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
Re: While we're at it
Quote:
Originally posted by Gen.Dragolen
This one is a stab at the heart of Firaxis:

In future, get someone on the payroll who has a degree in History or Archeology, please.

I've been looking at the editor and some of the settings you have setup for advances and improvements have absolutely nothing to do with what has already happened. Too many of the advances are allowed when there were numerous precondidtions for their developement and use:

Scientific Method list Medicine and Electricity as prerequisites. The Scientific Method was developed several hundred years before Modern Medicine and Electricity by people like Newton and Copernicus. They adopted a method of testing their ideas that allowed people like van Leeuwenhoek to examine invisible plants and animals which led to Sanitation.

On the history channel, they have showed medical texts that had detailed directions on how to treat specific wounds, like a broken jaw. And one of the skeletons they found in a gravepit from the War of the Roses in 15th Century England showed that the treatments worked: a trooper that had his jaw broken and it had healed. Nasty scar, but he was healthy enough to fight after it had healed.

It seems that in an effort to make the game simple for the masses, they have lost most of the accuracy and detail of how history prgressed. Even the older versions like Civ I and Civ II were better with the logic used to pick historical benchmarks to use for advances and to pick prerequisites. It would be a great improvement to game play if more of the advances were tied together, and relied on earlier advances. After all, most of what Europe learned that allowed the Renaissance came from China and Islamic scholars in Persia.

Do us all a favour and try finding a BBC produced show called "Connections" and watch all of the episodes before attempting to write Civ IV.

D.
hi ,

, in the end its just a game , ...

and they cant know everything either , ....

have a nice day
Old July 7, 2002, 17:02   #69
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Someone once said
when gameplay meets realism, gameplay should win.

You've gotta give them a bit of poetic licence.
Old July 7, 2002, 23:45   #70
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I always thought that it might be nice to have scheduled battles. Perhaps you could invite the AI into a battle. This feature would be avaliable till a certain period. I know it may sound dumb and I don't know exactly how it would work but thought it might be a fun option that could be turned on before gameplay.

Sell your photos
Old July 8, 2002, 00:18   #71
Verto
King

You'll need to elaborate, because I have no idea what you mean...recreate historical battles? I'm confused.
Old July 8, 2002, 02:38   #72
star mouse
Prince

Local Time: 14:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
You'll need to elaborate, because I have no idea what you mean...recreate historical battles? I'm confused.
Military exercises, perhaps?

You and the AI send conscripts and regulars in for military exercises, and have them fight until one has 1 HP. The winner can promote with half the usual chance. Leaders cannot be created this way.

Were you thinking of something like this, Sheik?
Old July 8, 2002, 03:11   #73
Barchan
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

[other occasionally reasonable suggestions omitted]
weather
day and night

if the above would be included , well , .......

one can only hope for it
Dude, you *cannot* be serious. How, exactly, would you implement day and night in a game that covers over 5000 years? And what conceivable purpose would weather have? What difference would it possibly make if it were raining or sunny? And, again, how would you implement thousands of years worth of weather?

Do you actually think through some of these suggestions you'd like Firaxis to implement, or are you just spouting them off the top of your head?

And believe me, I'm really trying to have a nice day, but sometimes I run into people that make it very difficult for me to do so.
Old July 8, 2002, 12:20   #74
Sheik
King

Yeah sort of.

Sell your photos
Old July 8, 2002, 22:33   #75
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

I wish for a great Patch and a game thats not broken. Maybe thats to much to ask from these companies today!

Anyways with Civ3 a better organized AI. Its good but not the greatest it can be.

Maybe we can have more options in the tax options. A slider for taxes and happinest is ok but who knows. Maybe personal income tax, city expenses,. Actually maybe a balance sheet.

Well thats my two cents....
Old July 8, 2002, 22:51   #76
Civ Old Timer
Settler

Local Time: 19:11
I don't know if this has been brought up before (sorry, no time to read ALL the posts), but in Civ 1 and 2, a Civs capital was something special. If you captured it, there was a small chance that a larger civ would experience a "civil war" and split into two factions. That was kind of fun, even if it wasn't common. Losing a capital also meant the loss of your palace for a few turns, which lead to really bad corruption, making it easier to finish the job. All in all, it made for some more interesting tactics. I don't like the way a new palace is instantly created in Civ3. It seems like an easy way out. Defend the capital!

Other than that, I'd just like what a lot of others have been saying - more diplomatic options, for starters. Terraforming might be cool, depending. New wonders too, if balance can be kept.

Someone was complaining about a lack of seiges in Civ 3. Well, you can do that if you pillage the roads. I like to pilliage the roads severing the capital from the rest of the civ. It creates civil unrest from the loss of luxeries.

I've never liked the rail roads = infinite movement, it's overkill. Maybe just double the road value.

Here's a biggie. Make more interesting maps! I hate the way Civ 3 almost always creates two continents. Make more islands for exploring. As it is, I hardly ever make boats until magnetism and then only for patrolling my coast. One of my recent games was a blast (not just because I was doing well but also) because I found three large and empty landmasses off my shore. So there was a hardscrabble fight to get those and it was fun, with a large impact on relations on the mainland.

Just my 2 cents.

Btw. I'm enjoying the game a lot more after tinkering with the editor. I was able to address two of my biggest gripes - resources like iron are now a lot more common, and I reduced corruption to makle expansion more fun and less of a headache. Corruption is a good idea, but the default values were a bit too high.

Adios!
Old July 11, 2002, 16:55   #77
JRWMD
Settler

Local Time: 20:11
Rule Mods in 1.21
Dear Folks,

I do not like the fact that with 1.21 you can no longer modify the rules and have the changes apply to the current game !

I've made hundreds of rule mods, and enjoyed doing so on the fly as problems/nonsense came up guring game play.

I believe this would be especially missed in multiplayer, as my previous experience is that agreed-upon changes to correct problems enhances gameplay, without having to start over!

JR
Old July 12, 2002, 13:26   #78
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Local Time: 21:11
Another wish,

A picture importer so I can be my own figure head for a civ.
have struck again
Old July 12, 2002, 14:16   #79
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 04:11
Quote:
Originally posted by W4r_Machine
Another wish,

YES, PLEEEEEEASE, PRETTY PLEASE!

Old July 12, 2002, 16:31   #80
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 23:11
Quote:
Originally posted by W4r_Machine
Another wish,

I want to reiterate the PRETTY PLEASE. I don't want Cleopatra as the face of William Penn of the Pennsylvanians.

What about webacm support for MP diplomacy? I know it's a lot of extra code, but imagine trying to screw another human player while you're laughing maniacally while he ponders the ROP agreement you just laid in front of him.

I also would like to see BROWSE buttons in the editor where specific files are referenced (like the leader animation).

I would also like to be able to change the rules on the fly. I just made a mod where I forgot to put my new unit in the proper position in the upgrade chain. Whoops, now I have to start all over so I upgrade my pikeman to my new musketman replacement. Of course, I didn't find that out until I got to gunpowder, which made me, well, mad.

I'm assuming that the new editor will allow me to add new units / buildings / civs (without replacing an old one). I would like the editor to ask me, "Which unit files (animation, sounds, etc.) would you like to use for this new unit?" And then I could select one of the existing ones and it would create the necessary folders, copy the necessary files into that folder. For example, if I create a unit called "Frontiersman" to be a replacement for the "Musketman", I would hit the add button on the units tab, and then tell the editor that I want my new unit to be like the musketman. The editor would then create a new folder called "Frontiersman" and copy the "Musketman" files into that new folder.
Old July 14, 2002, 16:29   #81
Irving
Settler

Two Wonders:

The Chunnel - Cost 400 shields, split between both cities at either end. Must have two cities separated by only one water square. Cities don't have to construct concurrently, but both must complete before use. Available after Minaturization. Zero movement cost between connected cities (acts as a railroad). Must control both cities to use (cannot attack via chunnel).

The Panama Canal - Cost 400 shields. Available after Steam Power. Can span three land squares with water squares at either end. Host city must occupy one of the three canal squares. Roads/Railroads are normal over the canal. Ground units may attack sea units in the canal with the sea unit at 1/2 effectiveness.
Old July 14, 2002, 20:12   #82
KenderBane
Chieftain

I've said it before ... and I'll say it again ...

I've always thought that there was something "wrong" about the slider bars for Science, Luxuries, and Income. Specifically, I found it bizzarre that, while vitrtually every other part of the game stays the same, these slider bars are the same throughout the game.

All civs use the same sort of budgeting system from ancient times to space flight. In my opinion, this needs to be changed. I have a suggestion on how to improve it.

Every Civ, starts the game with the slider bars changing things in 10% increments like they are now.

When a civ acquires "Currency", the slider bars change the tax rates in increments of 5%.

When a civ acquires "Economics", the slider bars change the tax rates in increments of 2.5%.

And Finally, when a civ enters the modern age, the slider bars move the tax rates in increments of 1% (and the numbers are rounded off to the nearest 1%; so no one is stuck with a .5% because they had it when the changed over to the modern age).

This would reflect a greater financial savvy as technology improves. It also makes 'tweaking' the tax rates a lot bit easier. (How you ever tried changing the tax rates when you have 40 + cities each with 16+ pop ? ... the 10% increments are "clunky" at best).
Old July 15, 2002, 06:32   #83
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 14:11
Quote:
Tech advance - Steel
You do realize that the Chinese in the Middle Ages had quite an elaborate system of canals, don't you?

Gen.

Dragolen:
'Scientific Method' probably isn't the best term for the tech advance in the game. One would assume it is talking about developments around the time of Darwin (it does after all give you the TOE), which was more to do with a reduction in the power of religion than scientific method.
Old July 17, 2002, 08:30   #84
KenderBane
Chieftain

My idea can be easily introduced with a Mod ...

Workers that can Pillage.

It makes sense that if they can make a terrain improvement, then they should be able to un-make one too. (They do that sometimes; when you try to Mine and Irrigated square or vice versa).
Old July 17, 2002, 18:22   #85
Irving
Settler

Spy Satellites
In an earlier version once you had satellites, you could see the entire world...

Once you have Espionage and Satellite, you can build Spy Satellites. With a Spy Satellite you can investigate the contents of one city per turn per satellite. This would be cheaper than using a spy, and you wouldn't anger the other civ either way.

You capital city has next to natural resources, an area for "strategic" resources which shows a satellite and the number you have.

Once Laser is achieved, you can build Anti-Satellite (ASAT) and per installation take out another civ's Spy Satellite.

This could get really involved....

You could add another advance "Percision Optics" and that coupled with Espionage and Satellite would allow Spy Satellites to be built. (It could also allow the Hubble Telescope for research bonuses).

In the real world, the United States modified an F-15 fighter with a rocket and used it to shoot down a satellite. Therefore after Rocketry is learned, Jet Fighters could be given the option of an ASAT attack.

Now let's take this a bit further. Satellites can be built just like other units. A city improvement "Launch Complex" is added (a small diamond with a gantry is shown next to the city). Satellites can be moved to the city with the Launch Complex, and when "right-clicked" have the option LAUNCH along with disband, etc...

Launch Complexes add economic bonuses to the city also...

A sceanrio could have a civ keeping a stash of Spy Satellites handy. Once war is declared, the enemy starts using available Jets to attack the Spy Satellites to knock out thier "eyes." As Jets take 'em out, the other civ can build and launch. You have a semi-space battle going on overhead, as you have a battle happening on earth.
Old July 17, 2002, 18:49   #86
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

OH MY!!!!

I really like the game... But having to constantly make sure that the workers in each and every city are doing what they "Should Be" doing is getting to be too much and is driving me from the game... It gets too manatneous to have to constantly monitor each and every city... It's too criticle for your city/Civ's development and deployment of units to have to constantly monitor each and every city, especially when it gets over 20 cities

It can mean the difference from you building the "Art of war" or 'letting' another civ do it which can be detremental to your Civ's life! Or that one 'extra' turn in getting out a unit that could turn the battle for your civ, or save one of your cities from being conquered!
Old July 18, 2002, 09:34   #87
beatona
Settler

So many Changes
I can not stress the absolute importance of altering gameplay! I think we deserve a change to things...

for a start:

a.) accomodate adjustments that adpat to development.

b.) enrich gameplay by modifying prior enhancements to allow for orginal phenomenon!

c.) Improve current details

d.) Shift focus from refining old options to centering attention on devloping novel concepts!

Now, is that too much to ask!?!

Old July 18, 2002, 12:50   #88
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

1. When the AI wants to demand something from you (give us world map and 10 gold and we'll spare you) you don't have a chance to accept or decline the emisaary. You should have that ability
2. You should also be able to demand tribute, and the AI should accept every now and then if you are bigger then they are. As it stands now, the only way you will get something 'for free' is when you have beaten them in a war.
Old July 19, 2002, 20:30   #89
The_Hawk
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
1. When the AI wants to demand something from you (give us world map and 10 gold and we'll spare you) you don't have a chance to accept or decline the emisaary. You should have that ability
2. You should also be able to demand tribute, and the AI should accept every now and then if you are bigger then they are. As it stands now, the only way you will get something 'for free' is when you have beaten them in a war.
You can do a demand tribute, although in a different way. I've found that usually, when you've attacked an enemy and you either attempt to negotiate a peace treaty with them, or they contact you, you can get techs and stuff and your peace treaty lasts 20 turns. However, after that 20 turns, you can pull it off the table and renegotiate, obviously throwing further demands on the table. You do this in the negotiation/trade screen. At the bottom of your screen, click on the Active link. You should always see Peace treaty listed. If you've just recently signed a peace treaty and 20 turns haven't passed, you cannot click on it and remove it from the list to renegotiate. However, if the treaty wsa just "automatically" renewed by your enemy, you can just pull it off the table and make whatever demands you'd like. I've even had the AI give me several cities (everything except his capital) to renegotiate the treaty.

The same with ROP. Usually, after the 20 turns, the ROP will just continue on, unless the AI feels it is disadvantageous to you and then it will contact you to either renegotiate, or eliminate the deal. If you don't want an existing ROP to continue, you can pull it off the table to renegotiate, or eliminate it as well.
Old July 20, 2002, 00:29   #90
Kilroy_Alpha
Warlord

This is a pipe dream, but I'd like to see improvement abilities similar to the orbital platforms in SMAC. Of course, without the ability to add another era onto the end game this is rather pointless. So, the ability to add eras too.