Old June 25, 2002, 05:52   #1
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The IDF unveils : Merkava 4
Quote:
The Israel Defense Forces unveiled its Merkava 4 tanks Monday with a festive ceremony at the tanks' factory at the Tel Hashomer armored corps base. Among those in attendance were Defense Minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, Chief of Staff Shaul Mofaz and U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Kurtzer.

With the start of production of the Mark 4 Merkava, the Merkava 3 will no longer be produced. Production of the Merkava 4 has already been disrupted since it is not clear when the German government will allow further supply of parts for the tank's engine - parts currently under embargo because of the situation in the territories and Berlin's fears that tanks built with German parts will be used there.

Under the original plan, several dozen Merkava 4 tanks are to be produced each year.

The Merkava 4 is the fourth and most advanced generation of battle tanks to be used by the IDF. The original tank was developed by Major General (Res.) Yisrael Tal, who was also present at yesterday's ceremony and received a rousing welcome. Defense establishment officials say that the tank is on a par with the second generation of the American Abrahams tank and the German Leopard. The head of the former Merkava tank administration, Brigadier General (Res.) Yehuda Admon, and current joint CEO of ELOP and deputy CEO of Elbit Systems, believes that the new tank's level of crew survivability, mobility and fire power means that it is the best tank in the world.

Since the Mark 1 Merkava came into operation in 1979, the tank has undergone significant alterations. The engine has increased from 900 horsepower to 1,500. But its two trademarks have remained - the engine is at the front of the vehicle, while at the back, there is a door allowing soldiers to exit the tank.
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pa...ID=0&listSrc=Y

From the IDF site :
http://www.idf.il/merkava4/english/index.stm
Quote:
Merkava Mk-4

The Merkava Mk-4 includes innovations in all tank quality components - protection and survivability, firepower and mobility.

Protection and survivability

The principles indicated in the design of the Merkava tank family have been applied again in the Merkava Mk-4. Priority has been given to protection and survivability, utilizing the tank's systems for protecting the crew (the engine is installed in the front of the tank), with storage of ammunition in protected containers, automatic fire suppression system, an overpressure NBC system, and more.

In the Merkava Mk-4, the ballistic protection is modular and provides more effective protection against modern threats, involving both protection efficiency and coverage area. Above all, the ballistic protection includes roof protection, which provides a capability against overhead attacks.
The electromagnetic threat identification warning system is an advanced generation of its predecessor in the Mk-3.

Firepower

The tank is equipped with a 120-mm gun that is an advanced generation of the type developed for the Merkava Mk-3. The new gun provides for firing of high-power munitions with increased penetrating capabilities. The ready-to-fire ammunition is stored in a protected compartment. The system allows the loader to semi-automatically select the desired ammunition type.
The tank's new fire control system includes modern components, whose capabilities are very high in detection range and target acquisition. The night vision system is based on the world's leading thermal technology. The automatic tracking ability has been significantly improved.
The systems provide for the implementation of an effective combat doctrine in target acquisition, allocation and destruction by commander and gunner.
The system which supports the fire power is controlled by displays and advanced operating systems, helping the commander with effective data communication and battle management.

Mobility

The Merkava Mk-4 tank is equipped with a modern engine. This is a 1,500 horse power diesel engine, controlled by a computer connected both to the driver's panel and to the modern automatic transmission system. The engine and transmission constitute a power pack that is considered a world leader.
The great power of the engine, in conjunction with the strong suspension based on that of the Mk-3, provide the tank with high mobility and maneuverability.
The installation of the new power pack in the Merkava tank has allowed for a redesign of the hull in a way that has improved frontal protection and the driver's field of view.
For improving reverse driving, a camera has been developed which enables the driver to look behind the tank while driving backwards without requiring commander or ground direction.

Table of Comparison of main properties - Generations of the Merkava tanks
http://www.idf.il/merkava4/english/table.stm
Stupid Germans.
Old June 25, 2002, 05:54   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If the Germans are the stupid ones, why isn't Israel just producing the parts themselves?
Old June 25, 2002, 05:59   #3
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
If the Germans are the stupid ones, why isn't Israel just producing the parts themselves?
Because we are stupid. The world cannot be trusted, all important systems should be manufactured in Israel.

But no one asks me... They prefer the cheaper alternative.
Old June 25, 2002, 06:21   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
...and this, friends, is why the United States must maintain at least a nominal domestic steel industry.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 25, 2002, 06:33   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
Quote:
Merkava Mk-4

The Merkava Mk-4 includes innovations in all tank quality components - protection and survivability, firepower and mobility.

Protection and survivability

The principles indicated in the design of the Merkava tank family have been applied again in the Merkava Mk-4. Priority has been given to protection and survivability, utilizing the tank's systems for protecting the crew (the engine is installed in the front of the tank), with storage of ammunition in protected containers, automatic fire suppression system, an overpressure NBC system, and more.

In the Merkava Mk-4, the ballistic protection is modular and provides more effective protection against modern threats, involving both protection efficiency and coverage area. Above all, the ballistic protection includes roof protection, which provides a capability against overhead attacks.
The electromagnetic threat identification warning system is an advanced generation of its predecessor in the Mk-3.

Firepower

The tank is equipped with a 120-mm gun that is an advanced generation of the type developed for the Merkava Mk-3. The new gun provides for firing of high-power munitions with increased penetrating capabilities. The ready-to-fire ammunition is stored in a protected compartment. The system allows the loader to semi-automatically select the desired ammunition type.
The tank's new fire control system includes modern components, whose capabilities are very high in detection range and target acquisition. The night vision system is based on the world's leading thermal technology. The automatic tracking ability has been significantly improved.
The systems provide for the implementation of an effective combat doctrine in target acquisition, allocation and destruction by commander and gunner.
The system which supports the fire power is controlled by displays and advanced operating systems, helping the commander with effective data communication and battle management.

Mobility

The Merkava Mk-4 tank is equipped with a modern engine. This is a 1,500 horse power diesel engine, controlled by a computer connected both to the driver's panel and to the modern automatic transmission system. The engine and transmission constitute a power pack that is considered a world leader.
The great power of the engine, in conjunction with the strong suspension based on that of the Mk-3, provide the tank with high mobility and maneuverability.
The installation of the new power pack in the Merkava tank has allowed for a redesign of the hull in a way that has improved frontal protection and the driver's field of view.
For improving reverse driving, a camera has been developed which enables the driver to look behind the tank while driving backwards without requiring commander or ground direction.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	homer_drooling.gif
Views:	194
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	18131  
Old June 25, 2002, 06:58   #6
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Look Eli, you've beaten a stupid person into a coma!
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 25, 2002, 07:19   #7
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
Re: The IDF unveils : Merkava 4
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Stupid Germans.
Donīt take it personal, Eli - its just that we donīt like it when someone has better tanks than we have...
Old June 25, 2002, 08:56   #8
Eli
Emperor

More info -

http://www.defense-update.com/directory/merkava4.htm
Old June 25, 2002, 09:44   #9
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 00:11
No offense or anything Eli, but that tank doesnīt look the great... you want a good tank check out the Ariete C1 Italy manufactures... instead of getting parts from Germany you should get them from Italy.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/ariete.htm
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 25, 2002, 09:46   #10
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
Funny, I thought they were perfectly capable of already shelling innocent market goers and machine gunning defenceless children to death?

Guess they just want to do it better...
Old June 25, 2002, 10:08   #11
Eli
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
No offense or anything Eli, but that tank doesnīt look the great... you want a good tank check out the Ariete C1 Italy manufactures... instead of getting parts from Germany you should get them from Italy.
The Merkava is the best.
Old June 25, 2002, 10:31   #12
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

The Merkava is the best.
MWAWAWAW! NO WAY. Take a look at that bad ass Italian Ariete C1... that is undefeatable... that thing is fast, loaded with armor and has an excellent 120MM gun.

If I were you Israelis I would start opening up deals with the Italian Army.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 25, 2002, 10:39   #13
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 05:11
Stop bragging!
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

The Merkava is the best.
Sounds a bit like "My **** is the biggest!"

Old June 25, 2002, 11:28   #14
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Stupid Germans.
You mean moral Germans.

All the Pals have to do is use a little more explosives in the ground and they'll be blowing up Mk4s just like the Mk3s.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:37   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Stupid Germans.
If I see 2 boys tussle in the backyard, I won't give one of them an ax.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:38   #16
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Aaargh - an MBT thread - run for the hills!
Old June 25, 2002, 11:41   #17
Ned
King

Local Time: 19:11
Eli, I hope after the present incident with the Germans, you never again buy any weapons system or parts from the Euro's. They cannot be trusted. They are your enemy.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:44   #18
Giancarlo
King

BUY FROM ITALY!
Old June 25, 2002, 11:44   #19
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

What incident with the Germans?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 25, 2002, 11:54   #20
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 03:11
Quote:
They cannot be trusted. They are your enemy.
And there is one of Israel's biggest problems - they are xenophobic and think everyone is out to get them.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:56   #21
DinoDoc
Deity

It's a consequence from living where they do. That's why they should have taken Uganda when they had the chance.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:56   #22
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 04:11
Except USA when they don't critize them !
Old June 25, 2002, 12:03   #23
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 03:11
Yeah, or maybe the Solomon Islands.

See, even the name would fit
Old June 25, 2002, 12:41   #24
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
It's a consequence from living where they do. That's why they should have taken Uganda when they had the chance.
The Israelis would have been absolutely destroyed, not immeadiately, but eventually.

The problem is not so much "where they live" as it is how Israel was formed. After WWII the Israelis showed up and announced they were creating a Jewish Homeland, with western help. They are settlers who have displaced the local population, like white South Africans ( which partially explains why they were such good friends during apartheid). That sort of displacement would be resisted anywhere.
Old June 25, 2002, 12:44   #25
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
That sort of displacement would be resisted anywhere.
At the time that Ugaanda was offered to them, it was sparsely populated. So, the displacement would have been minimal at worst.
Old June 25, 2002, 12:49   #26
Eli
Emperor

This is not a ME thread. Go away.

Pictures :
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	52.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	18153  
Old June 25, 2002, 13:04   #27
Carver
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

At the time that Ugaanda was offered to them, it was sparsely populated. So, the displacement would have been minimal at worst.
That's exactly the kind of spin the Zionists would put on the homeland creation to assure the world that there was no harm in carving out a country from land already occupied.

According to the Universiteitsbisblio of Universiteit Utrecht in the Netherlands, Uganda's population in 1948 was 5 million. That's hardly sparse.

Last edited by Carver; June 25, 2002 at 13:13.
Old June 25, 2002, 13:07   #28
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
According to the Universiteitsbisblio in the Netherlands, Uganda's population in 1948 was 5 million. That's hardly sparse.
IIRC, it wasn't in 1948 that they were offered Uganda. It wasn't the entire country that they were offered anyway.
Old June 25, 2002, 13:16   #29
DinoDoc
Deity

It was in 1903, that Great Britain offered an area of 15,500 kmē in Uganda to the Zionist movement.
Old June 25, 2002, 17:07   #30
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
This is not a ME thread. Go away.

Pictures :
Ariete is better.