Old June 25, 2002, 10:14   #1
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The World is Square! (SquareSoft)
SquareSoft thread founded to avoid clutter at our D&D thread. I'll edit in some stuff later on.

First, the games I've played through: FF VI, FF VII, FF VIII and FF IX. I have also tried out FF I - V, Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu III, but haven't bothered to play more of them (yes, sick me).

The main thing I'm such a FF fan is the fact that 1) I love the music by Nobuo Uematsu. Yasunori Mitsuda, composer in Xenogears and Chrono Trigger, is fairly good but nowhere near his scale, and 2) the stories are always great.

Oh, and I'm apparently going to be an Administator of a Square forum, so I'll advertise it once it's up and running.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; June 25, 2002 at 15:46.
Old June 25, 2002, 10:39   #2
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 21:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I've played and beaten:

-- FFI
-- FFIV
-- FFV
-- FFVI
-- FFVII
-- CT (many times)
-- Seiken Densetsu II
-- Seiken Densetsu III
-- Super Mario RPG

I've played:

-- FFVIII
-- FFIX
-- Chrono Cross
-- Romancing Saga III
-- FF Tactics

I'll take this opportunity to plug my favorite webcomic: http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/ -- 8-Bit Theater, loosely based on the FFI storyline.
Old June 25, 2002, 10:57   #3
Rand Al'Tor
Never Ending StoriesApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 03:12
Yes it IS good isn't it.

I've played trough

FF VII
FF VIII
FF IX
CT

I've played

FFIV (up till I'm on the moon)
FFV (Not that much)
FFVI (almost finished, but I'll have to lvl up before going to Kefka's tower)

My favourite would have to be FFVIII. It holds a bit the middle bewteen FFVII all too dramatic (though well plotted) story with the characters themselves being a bit too... discrete and FFIX that was too cheerful with the characters being a bit overdone. but perhaps that's because I played FFVIII first and in English (and VII and IX in French)
Old June 25, 2002, 14:43   #4
CygnusZ
Warlord

Uh, hmm...

All FF's
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Seikden Densetsu 1,2 and 3 (Secret of Mana USA)
Live a Live
Bahamut Lagoon (Recently Translated, playing right now)
Super mario RPG
Final Fantasy Tactics
Brave Fencer Musashi
Vagrant Story
Xenogears

I guess that's about 90% of the SquareSoft library. Easily Squaresoft would be IMHO one of the best producer of console games (Nintendo being the real top dog).

I liked all the FF's, except for II and VIII. I thought FF2 just encouraged sado-mashochism, and FF8's draw system became really tedious to me. I thought FFIX was the best modern final fantasy game, because it was _FUN_ (and no manic depressieve 17 year old spikey haired kids with gigantic PHALLIC swords). Then again, I find myself playing FF's more for "the experince" (Rez players understand what I mean) than for the gameplay itself.

However, i think Final Fantasy's finest hour came with Final Fantasy Tactics, which was a strategy/RPG developed for Playstation. It took the job system from FF5 and put it in into a sword of "chessboard" combat system (like Shining Force, only more character customization).
Old June 25, 2002, 15:50   #5
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
I'll take this opportunity to plug my favorite webcomic: http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/ -- 8-Bit Theater, loosely based on the FFI storyline.
Ah, my favourite too, along Sexy Losers.

Try out http://www.vgmix.com . Especially the mp3s called "Balambience" and "The Man with the Chrono Trigger" are excellent.
Old June 25, 2002, 23:01   #6
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Local Time: 22:12
I own, played and beaten:
FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII (actually, I haven't beaten it but im at the last castle)
CT
SoM
Super Mario RPG

Almost beaten: FFX

Dl'd, played, not beaten:
FFIV and V
SoE

And the best IMO is FFVI. No one beats Kefka!

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old June 26, 2002, 01:09   #7
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hmm... not sure exactly what the point of the thread is other than to list Square games beaten, but sure! I'm up for that...

Lesse... FF1, FF4-10, FFT, FFMQ, CT, CC, XG, SOM, Seiken Densetsu III (Corbett translation), Front Mission 3, Threads of Fate, .

Also Breath of Fire, but that was just published by Square, it was made by Capcom.

I still haven't gotten around to beating Vagrant Story (which I own). And I've played wee little bits of Legend of Mana and Parasite Eve (not owned), but I will never finish LoM and I doubt I'll ever finish PE, although it seemed good.

And oh yes, this thread is a good refresher course if you think you've forgotten any you played. http://forums.ffonline.com/showthrea...=&threadid=180
Old June 26, 2002, 09:08   #8
tniem
King

Re: The World is Square! (SquareSoft)
Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia
Oh, and I'm apparently going to be an Administator of a Square forum, so I'll advertise it once it's up and running.
Where is this forum going to be?
Old June 26, 2002, 12:20   #9
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Where is this forum going to be?
How come?

I'm playing FF IV at the moment... the Overworld theme and all the mixes of it are reason enough.
Old June 26, 2002, 17:25   #10
Rand Al'Tor
King

ooooh, another sexylosers fan? Not that we're gonna link, just tell you that it's on keenspace.

Heh, I'd point you to a lil' CT fanfiction now that we're busy plugging, but FF.net seems to be clogged
Old June 27, 2002, 01:12   #11
CygnusZ
Warlord

Uh, Rand, just out of curiosity, I noticed you have a little "newsmax" thing on your avatar.

That isn't the 'www.newsmax.com' insane right-wing conspiracy website, eh?
Old June 27, 2002, 08:14   #12
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Unfortunately, it is. No idea how a European liberal became a mod on a site that criticized Bush for being too far to the left...
Old June 27, 2002, 08:45   #13
Ari Rahikkala
King

Even conservatives have a sense of humour .
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old June 28, 2002, 05:03   #14
Rand Al'Tor
King

Well I AM just that good. But hey, it's fun.
Old July 13, 2002, 22:07   #15
Kassiopeia
Emperor

http://daloop.sjr.fi/squareinfo/forums/

Old July 14, 2002, 07:29   #16
Vlad Antlerkov
King

Already registered.
Old July 14, 2002, 12:00   #17
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I have played a lot of the FFs

Jon Miller
Old July 14, 2002, 17:05   #18
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Jon, care to share more? Like which ones? Which one was the best etc.?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vlad Antlerkov
Already registered.
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old July 15, 2002, 02:54   #19
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I have played large ammounts of FF5 and FF4 (FF4 was stolen from my freind whose house and SNES I was playing at/on, FF5 I was playing a ROM which wasn't quite up to speed so I quit after getting fairly far in the game)

beat FF6

I have tried FF3 and FF2

I think I have played FF1 all the way through (might have had my game delted by my sister before finishing though, damn FF for only having one save)

played one of the FF adventures for the GameBoy (decently far, game probably erased now (was my sisters, she was the one that erased my FF game also (which wasn't ehrs))

played FF Mystic Quest (I think I beat this, I know I watched someone do so and can remember being advanced in the game)

played SaGa Frontier (beat some of the characters, don't remember which ones right now)

played Mario RPG (I think I beat it or watched it get beat)

played FF7 got to end guy, decided not to beat until all stats were 255 (still working on that) (watched game be beat)

beat FF8, had almost everything (100 of all big spells, all GFs, all but 3 or 4 playing cards (geting the cards was a pain))

ahve FF9 (had no money when it came out, got it recently)

am just doing random leveling up in FF10 (I am higher than my roomate who beat the game, but have trouble letting myself eat it before I feel maxed out, can take forever see FF7)

played (and am stuck leveling up forever (And trying to steel all the Genji equipment)) FF tactics (notice the trend on leveling up forever?)

played Vagrant story (almost have this one beat, just was to busy to play and no longer remember where I was)

Chrono Trigger, beat, beat, and beat again (great game)

ChronoCross (played, got busy doing something else, forgot where I am)

Parasite Eve, beat once, got stolen from me (not sure who fun it would be on second play through)

there are a lot I can not remember

most games mentioned I own

Jon Miller
(I should mention that for a long period of time there was just one game consol that I and my brother could use, so we played for hours (switching between games), in some games my brother was the lead(the first to play through) (FF1, Mystic Quest, others), in others I was (FF6, ChronoTrigger, others))
Old July 15, 2002, 02:56   #20
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I forgot

I have played all three secret of Manna's also (not beat)

I need to reinstall my Roms (it is a pain becaise I did not have a CD writer back then so my collection takes up 30 floppies)

Jon Miller
Old July 15, 2002, 02:57   #21
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

to give you an idea of how much the FF4 thing sucked

I was done with the moon

Jon Miller
Old July 15, 2002, 18:56   #22
Kassiopeia
Emperor

*jaw drops on floor in rapid succession*

Wow. I'm impressed Jon. I've concentrated more to the newest games, and haven't even had the chance or the funds to play the games at such a large variety and depth.

Maxing out stats in FF7? You mean morphing the Gelnika creatures for sources?

*decides to go play Chrono Trigger*
Old July 15, 2002, 19:43   #23
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kassiopeia

Maxing out stats in FF7? You mean morphing the Gelnika creatures for sources?
/me shudders

I spent FAR too much of my life in that place.

Quote:
ChronoCross (played, got busy doing something else, forgot where I am)
That is about the way about a dozen good RPG's have turned out for me. I get about 80% through one of them and then get my hands on another one and get so obsessed with playing it that I forget about the first one.
I completed FF7 and Shining Force 2 about 5 times each because they were so great, but most other fantastic RPG's are still sitting unfinished on my shelf.

Of course, if I didn't visit 'poly so much I could have time to play them all.
Old July 15, 2002, 20:15   #24
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Yeah, in that way FF7 is a pain if you want to trash the Weapons.
Emmy could be dealt with if I could use only two materias for each fella to get KotR mimed and 9999 HP each (Aire Tam will then luckily put them to 7777-mode ), but I still need KotR at level 2 and the characters so high on experience that I won't need so much HP Plus materias. And offing Ruby...

Omega in FF8 was a piece of cake compared to that. Getting levels to 100 wasn't such a big deal, and I got lucky and all my Holy War Trials worked 100 percent. And the Aura, Meltdown, Renzokuken, Lionheart combo is just laaaame.
Old July 15, 2002, 20:27   #25
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I beat ruby the first time I tried to

of course I had a couple night of the rounds plus several of the other top materia (I think there were masters that I had a couple of)

Vincent was the one to do it

Jon Miller
Old July 15, 2002, 20:28   #26
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

yah

FF8 was easy leveling up

the old hard thing was the damn cards

Jon Miller
Old July 15, 2002, 20:51   #27
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Augh. Triple Triad. Though getting the Gilgamesh card (and the Holy Wars) shouldn't be that tough, but you have to go through an agonising side quest and have good enough cards. And if you haven't got the Pocket Station thingy, you can't even dream of a perfect collection.
Old July 15, 2002, 22:19   #28
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

as I said

I had all but a couple

and I could get that if I could stomach playing the card game a little more

Jon Miller
Old July 15, 2002, 23:38   #29
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Which you should be very glad for. FF8 PC let you use a mocked up Pocketstation, and the chocobo quest things SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS AHHHHHHH. I can't believe I actually wasted some life on it. Think Progress Quest, but far less fun.

Besides, FF8 was so easy if you junctioned right (let alone use bonuses and keep your level low), there wasn't that much point anyway.

I'm jealous that you were spared the temptation of using the ChocoboWorld game.
Old July 16, 2002, 00:14   #30
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

yah

I had 100 ultima junctioned most the game (plus the encounter none)

needless to say I kicked ass

Jon Miller