Old June 25, 2002, 12:11   #1
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 04:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
American position on the PA
The US wants the PA to become more democratic. Yet it also wants Arafat out.

What would happen if Arafat was democraticly (re)elected?

And what would happen if the democratization of the PA results in the election of Hamas members (or other terrorists)?
Old June 25, 2002, 12:13   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The position is that the US would like a leadership not compromised by support of terrorism.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 25, 2002, 12:16   #3
drake
King

Local Time: 23:13
Quote:
The position is that the US would like a leadership not compromised by support of terrorism.
Unlike Sharon right
Old June 25, 2002, 12:16   #4
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:13
Saint Marcus, the Bush administration has shown no regard for democratically-elected governments in the past (Venezuela), and is itself not quite one, so why would it be inconsistent of them to not support a democratically-elected PA?
Old June 25, 2002, 12:18   #5
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by drake
Unlike Sharon right
Sharon isn't a terrorist.
Old June 25, 2002, 12:20   #6
DinoDoc
Deity

BTW, was the election of Arafat actually certified as fair by an international body? Or is his election as valid as those in Iraq?
Old June 25, 2002, 12:22   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:13
That's just silly move attempting to pull wool over everybody's eyes. The US knows that they can't get rid of Arafat, so Dubya is basing his support of a Palestinian State on his removal. He's thinking that, if the PA rejects his demand, he'd just shrug his shoulders and say, "Hey I tried."

It's clear as day how one-sided this proposal is, with absolutely no demand for Israel, nothing like removing all settlements on the West Bank, nothing like withdrawing from occupied territories.
Old June 25, 2002, 12:28   #8
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
and is itself not quite one
Oh please... not that crap again.
Old June 25, 2002, 12:31   #9
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:13
Ming: It stings because it's true!
Old June 25, 2002, 12:53   #10
Roland
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, Arafat's election was fraud-ridden but it's unlikely it affected the outcome. Bush's election saw only little fraud, but that was likely decisive.

Apart from that, Bush saying that Arafat lacks democratic legitimacy is mildly amusing.
Old June 25, 2002, 13:21   #11
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

What Bush said makes a lot of sense. I have little faith that either of the current leaders can move toward peace. It looks to me like Bush thinks this as well, with Arafat going this year and Sharon going in the next couple of years. It's sort a mid-term bet.

Arafat isn't going to last much longer anyway. What is he, 80 years old? Sharon's an old fart too.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 25, 2002, 13:25   #12
Saint Marcus
King

the problem is that the Palestinians are more likely to elect a hardliner than a moderate, with all these Israeli actions going on (right or wrong). I think that elections are the worst thing that can happen in the region.
Old June 25, 2002, 13:47   #13
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

If the Pals want to elect a hardliner, fine - they will then have to live with what that hardliner does as their leader (same as Israeli's having to live with having Sharon running the show). I hope they don't, of course. Arafat, so far as I've heard, is basically ignoring the part about getting rid of him and is welcoming the rest of it. We'll have to wait and see how it all pans out. I wouldn't get your hopes up, though.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 25, 2002, 13:53   #14
DanS
Deity

"the problem is that the Palestinians are more likely to elect a hardliner than a moderate"

Oh how naiive you are, Marcus. How many hundreds of billions of dollars is it worth to the U.S. to make this problem go away?

Uncle Sam's a big spender.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 25, 2002, 13:56   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

"I'll take the moderate for $500 million, Alex."

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 25, 2002, 14:03   #16
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
Bush's election saw only little fraud, but that was likely decisive.
Actually, there was massive fraud in Florida. Most importantly, Govenor Bush illegally struck from the voter rolls 40,000 ex-cons who had moved from states where their voting rights had been restored. Despite being told twice by the courts to reinstate their voting rights, Bush has refused to do so. There is also the matter of the people who were mistakenly removed because their name was similar to a convicts name. The state actually told the company making the list not to do an error checking, even though it was specified in the contract. I can produce a copy of that memo.

Since the last election, the State of Florida has required the state itself to draw up the convict lists, yet Katherine Harris has already hired an outside firm to do this work. The current Administration seems to have little regard for the law.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 25, 2002, 14:12   #17
DanS
Deity

Yeh, I always thought the democrats were a bunch of felons.
Old June 25, 2002, 14:36   #18
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 25, 2002, 15:08   #19
Faeelin
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
That's just silly move attempting to pull wool over everybody's eyes. The US knows that they can't get rid of Arafat, so Dubya is basing his support of a Palestinian State on his removal. He's thinking that, if the PA rejects his demand, he'd just shrug his shoulders and say, "Hey I tried."

It's clear as day how one-sided this proposal is, with absolutely no demand for Israel, nothing like removing all settlements on the West Bank, nothing like withdrawing from occupied territories.
You've just been added to my list of people with no common sense.

Perhaps he's saying that they don't have a chance in hell of getting their own state until they stop with terrorism. What, exactly, makes that an unacceptable demand?

Bush also called for, specifically, an end to Israeli settlements.

Now maybe you can get outraged over one of hte more serious cases of injustice and oppression.
Old June 25, 2002, 16:59   #20
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:13
I reckon there are a few dozen ME threads already
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	warning1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	18183  
Old June 25, 2002, 18:16   #21
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:

Oh, that wasn't a joke?

----

Good thread, Markus. I agree with you. Elections are going to bring in Hamas or some hardliner in power, and then where will Bush be? Will he still create a provisional state if there were free and fair elections, like he said he would?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 25, 2002, 18:19   #22
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 05:13
The basic idea is pretty good. It would be a lot better for a number of reasons if the palestinians where lead by a group of people without blood on their hands (I think that's pretty good for any goverment really). But actually making it so in reality would be to rig the election.
Old June 25, 2002, 18:23   #23
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:

Oh, that wasn't a joke?

----

Good thread, Markus. I agree with you. Elections are going to bring in Hamas or some hardliner in power, and then where will Bush be? Will he still create a provisional state if there were free and fair elections, like he said he would?
Are you and Marcus saying that the Palistinian people do not want peace with Isreal? If that is so, why is there any reason for Israel not to continue their current soulution? Is it impossible to find a person in the West Bank or Gaza without links to terrorism? Are you both saying that Arafat is the best that they have to offer?
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old June 25, 2002, 18:27   #24
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I think I have the problem solved: Mahatma Gandhi should take control of the PA and Neville Chamberlain should take the helm for Israel.
Old June 25, 2002, 18:28   #25
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Are you both saying that Arafat is the best that they have to offer?
Sad isn't it.
Old June 25, 2002, 18:30   #26
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

Sad isn't it.
I honestly think everyone would be better off if Jordan assumed control of the West Bank. Maybe not good for Jordan though.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old June 25, 2002, 18:30   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Are you both saying that Arafat is the best that they have to offer?
Probably... he's a moderate in this situation.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old June 25, 2002, 18:35   #28
DinoDoc
Deity

Imran: Arafat is a bumbling, incompetent, foolish, liar. Any reasonably inteligent person would have recognized Hamas for what it was long ago and squshed it once he rose to power.

If he is the best that the Palestinians have, they are dire staights even if the occupation ends right now.
Old June 25, 2002, 18:56   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Perhaps.. but the idiotic thing is how can you have a democracy in a non-state. A democracy that doesn't really have self-rule? Silly.

And Arafat NEVER has had the power to squash Hamas, and no Palestinian leader will be able to in the next 20 years.
Old June 25, 2002, 19:07   #30
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
Are you and Marcus saying that the Palistinian people do not want peace with Isreal?
I never said that.

I was merely pointing out a potential problem and inconcistency in Bush' plans.

Bush wants pacificts to lead the PA. Bush also wants to make the PA more democratic. Those two goals don't mix. It is in fact dangerous to make the PA democratic. Should there be democratic elections in the PA, there are only two possible outcomes. A re-election of Arafat, which neither Bush nor Sharon wants, or the election of a Hamas (or pro-Hamas) hardliner, which is 10 times worse than Arafat. And yeah, there are people within the PA who are more moderate than Arafat. But there are few, and none could wish to win an election.

And should Arafat get re-elected, what would Bush then do? He can't go on saying that he wants to get rid of Arafat, since Arafat will be democratically elected in the way Bush wants a Palestinian leader to be elected. His whole play just backfired.

And it would be 10 times worse if a hardliner is elected. Bush got what he wanted. Rid of Arafat, and democratic elections for the PA. Yet the situation resulting from that is far worse than the situation is now.

In short: bad idea.

I wish I could just say that this is yet another Shrubya screwup, but sadly the EU is also (mostly) supporting this idea. I personally prefer to have the PA as it is, until a state has been given to them. Elections will only make matters far far worse, either by making Arafat's leadership legal and official, or by making way for extremists to run the PA.