Old June 26, 2002, 05:32   #1
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 04:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cheater!
Last night I discovered with absolute certainty that the AI "cheats" i.e. knows where you are, your units, etc...

The AI was sending LOTS of units towards a city of mine (2 Inf. guarding) then when they reached the city I re loaded from the autosave 2turns back and send forces to the city from a route that they should not be able to see them (I had RR which gave me the ability to pack a lot in the city). Well the AI just turned around and went for another city which I was the least defended in the area.

Ok, it could have been a diverting move from the AI (yeah right!)!

I actually do not mind that the AI sees such things, it should so it can compensate for its lack of .... well... human evil brains ....

I always suspected the fact but I played the same couple turns over and over again just experimenting and I am pretty certain now.
Old June 26, 2002, 06:35   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 03:16
Re: Cheater!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
Last night I discovered with absolute certainty that the AI "cheats" i.e. knows where you are, your units, etc...

The AI was sending LOTS of units towards a city of mine (2 Inf. guarding) then when they reached the city I re loaded from the autosave 2turns back and send forces to the city from a route that they should not be able to see them (I had RR which gave me the ability to pack a lot in the city). Well the AI just turned around and went for another city which I was the least defended in the area.

Ok, it could have been a diverting move from the AI (yeah right!)!

I actually do not mind that the AI sees such things, it should so it can compensate for its lack of .... well... human evil brains ....

I always suspected the fact but I played the same couple turns over and over again just experimenting and I am pretty certain now.
Sounds like you cheated.....
Old June 26, 2002, 07:02   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:16
although i congrat you on discovering this. It is not new. This subject is well covered for in other threads.

You could use this to your advantage if you want to. Open up your core cities and the AI will neglect the border ones.

I personally try to avoid this as i don't think it fair to the AI. For me this is an exploit, but no everyone agrees
Old June 26, 2002, 07:03   #4
Zealot
King

I don't say that behaviour was already in Civ 1, but it was certainly in Civ 2 and SMAC.
But, yeah, it sucks to see the AI to cheat like that.
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Old June 26, 2002, 07:24   #5
The Pioneer
Prince

Re: Re: Cheater!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Sounds like you cheated.....

I was just experimenting!
Old June 26, 2002, 07:34   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

The AI knows the location of all your units. This one is well known and one of the few real cheats.
Old June 26, 2002, 10:14   #7
Moonsinger
Warlord

Local Time: 21:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I do not treat AI knowledge of my location as cheating. Since AI is just a computer subroutine, it can't go with instinct like we do; therefore, it must use other mean to help it make the best move...to make the game more challenging and more enjoyable for us. Another way to look at this...for example, if you are 200 lbs, would you prefer to wrestle with just one 50 lbs opponent, four 50 lbs opponents, or eight 50 lbs opponents?
Old June 26, 2002, 12:26   #8
ShredZ
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:16
The AI has Uber Spies - knowing all yer unit placements.
Old June 26, 2002, 12:37   #9
mwaf
Warlord

Please name a strategy game in which the AI doesn't cheat (on at least the more challenging difficulty levels).

A computer game's AI isn't comparable with a human brain in terms of strategic skills. The only advantages the computer has is perfect knowledge of game concepts, rules, etc. and the possibility to cheat.
Old June 26, 2002, 15:38   #10
SomeOneElse
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:16
an unfortunate truth. do you think it could ever be different, though? will AI programmers ever be able to develop an AI that doesnt need to cheat at complicated strategy games?
Old June 26, 2002, 17:24   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeOneElse
an unfortunate truth. do you think it could ever be different, though? will AI programmers ever be able to develop an AI that doesnt need to cheat at complicated strategy games?
IMHO not for many long years i'm affraid

but look how it i'mproved in the last 10 years ( civ1 ---> Civ3). So i guess ther's hope afterall

Someone will respond to this. I wonder who
Old June 26, 2002, 18:24   #12
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

Actually Ive found at times you can use the AI's knowledge of your information to your advantage. Corralling the huge AI armies one direction instead of another. Its kinda fun.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown
Old June 26, 2002, 19:38   #13
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mwaf
Please name a strategy game in which the AI doesn't cheat (on at least the more challenging difficulty levels).
Space Empires IV Gold
Old June 26, 2002, 19:45   #14
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 20:16
Yes it is well know that the AI cheats without it the AI would be truly useless. The AI will never be equal to a human player and that is why so many of us were so deeply dissappointed that MP wasn't included.

Hopefully, PtW's version of MP will be at least as good as Civ2 MP or CTP2 MP.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 26, 2002, 20:14   #15
dnassman
Warlord

Local Time: 13:16
I use this as an a way to trap the AI. I don't leave any city open but keep my borders well protected. Once I see a large army heading towards my border I increase the numbers at the border and leave no way for the approaching army to get through. Obviously they were coming for me and soon enough declare war on me. Much better than me declaring war on them. Then use my large stack of border units to destroy their units, usually very large army, and start taking as many cities as I can.
Old June 27, 2002, 04:18   #16
Coracle
Prince

Same deal happened to me.

I had to raze a city in the Industrial era to prevent that stupid Culture Flipping crap.

Before even I could get a settler there, a rival civ's transport appeared with settler and some military right on those open tiles near the coast.

Cheat Number One: the AI immediately knew about the open tiles.

Cheat Number Two: the AI got a freebie settler, which they had to in order to get it there that fast.

And here is cheat number three. . .

I went back to autosave to test the AI. I put units on all those coastal hexes. Result? The transport NEVER SHOWED UP!

Of course the AI cheats. And the above was at Regent!
Old June 27, 2002, 05:03   #17
The Pioneer
Prince

Note:

I did not say that I do not like t he game because of it! I actually am in love with the game (as with 1 & 2) , just ask my wife! I just noted the fact because this was the first time I caught the AI cold handed .

Oh, by the way Coracle I must admit that the concept of cultural flipping may be a bit crudely implemented in the game but I am all for it. Don't you just get tired of complaining about the same thing over and over and over again! There are a whole lot better things to do or play in this world

Firaxis could refine this feature a bit, i.e. give us the option to turn it on or off, warn us before the city flips, all units should not go puff, etc. But otherwise I do like especially because it prevents me for coming in and cleaning house as in Civ 2. At precisely that moment it was only a matter of time before you won the game in Civ 2. But not here, here you have to heed yourself and plan much better.
Old June 27, 2002, 13:16   #18
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
Cheat Number Two: the AI got a freebie settler, which they had to in order to get it there that fast.
I frequently keep settlers handy in times of war (whether I'm involved or not). I've noticed that the AI does this as well (I have checked my military advisor reports after espionage and seen some AI civs with 3 and 4 settlers -- this when no free land is available).

Catt
Old June 27, 2002, 17:02   #19
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
The AI knows the location of all your units. This one is well known and one of the few real cheats.
hi ,

, any proof to that , ....

have a nice day
Old June 27, 2002, 17:14   #20
Space05us
King

Local Time: 15:16
the AI is known to cheat who needs proof?
Old June 27, 2002, 17:17   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
the AI is known to cheat who needs proof?
hi ,

specific proof on this or that cheat might help to fix it , ...
or to bypass it , .....

have a nice day
Old June 27, 2002, 17:21   #22
Space05us
King

Local Time: 15:16
it cheat so it can stand half a chance against a person. if we "fix" it the game would suck.
Old June 27, 2002, 17:57   #23
alva
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848

but look how it i'mproved in the last 10 years ( civ1 ---> Civ3). So i guess ther's hope afterall

Someone will respond to this. I wonder who

Quote:
originally posted be CORACLE
Same deal happened to me.

I had to raze a city in the Industrial era to prevent that stupid Culture Flipping crap.

Before even I could get a settler there, a rival civ's transport appeared with settler and some military right on those open tiles near the coast.

Cheat Number One: the AI immediately knew about the open tiles.

And here is cheat number three. . .

I went back to autosave to test the AI. I put units on all those coastal hexes. Result? The transport NEVER SHOWED UP!

Of course the AI cheats. And the above was at Regent!
you need to change your strategie from time to time
You are becoming to predictible. This was to easy
Old June 27, 2002, 18:17   #24
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by mwaf
I don't think the CtP2 AI cheats. That's one of the main reasons why it sucks.
Old June 27, 2002, 19:03   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
it cheat so it can stand half a chance against a person. if we "fix" it the game would suck.
hi ,

at least they could tell us , as to what and how it is done , ....

have a nice day
Old June 27, 2002, 20:41   #26
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ShredZ
The AI has Uber Spies - knowing all yer unit placements.
I was thinking the same way. Although not really an Uber Spy. But a really good spy depending on the difficulty level. Perhaps Pioneer, you should search for a mole in your civ. I could bet a dolor to a donut there is a spy in your civ.
Old June 29, 2002, 11:31   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05

I was thinking the same way. Although not really an Uber Spy. But a really good spy depending on the difficulty level. Perhaps Pioneer, you should search for a mole in your civ. I could bet a dolor to a donut there is a spy in your civ.
hi ,

one thing is to do counter intel ones in a while , ..
second , never give the AI your map , but get his when you can , otherwise decline , ...

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 17:46   #28
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

one way the AI cheats with proof is the "hidden nationality" , give it to a unit , go for a walk , so far so good , but certainly a civ says "hello" to you , ....

play with the attack value a bit , and go for a small battle , the AI will sometimes change his attitude towards you , its like the AI knows to who the "hidden" unit belongs , ....

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 20:45   #29
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
second , never give the AI your map , but get his when you can , otherwise decline , ...
I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you.
Old June 29, 2002, 20:49   #30
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

one way the AI cheats with proof is the "hidden nationality" , give it to a unit , go for a walk , so far so good , but certainly a civ says "hello" to you , ....

play with the attack value a bit , and go for a small battle , the AI will sometimes change his attitude towards you , its like the AI knows to who the "hidden" unit belongs , ....

have a nice day

I think the AI knows who the nationality is of the hidden unit myself. In one of my mods, I set the regular submarine to have hidden nationality. It works, no mil. advisor warning me or anything. But the civ I attack gets mad after a while, and starts to declare war in a while.

Of course this could be due a little bug with hidden subs, their color may be white, but turn on the unit circles and you'll see the color of the nationality.