Old June 26, 2002, 10:26   #1
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Prepoll debate : a new "Ministry of Economy"
Ministry of Finance - Ministry of Trade merger proposal

As you already know, 2 ministers currently care on our treasury :
- the minister of finance has to manage the sliders of science and luxury. He also must check the efficiency of the cities concerning commerce, and petition the city planner to build marketplaces and banks when the need arise.
- the minister of trade has to keep track of unconnected cities and unconnected goods. He decides trades which are purely involving goods and gold, and has some decision power in trades involving goods among other things (tech, diplomactic agreements). The minister of trade should also haggle to tell the other ministers what would be the best deal.

These two ministries have very narrow functions each. And dividing these functions between two people may hurt cohesion in our money policy.

That's why an idea arose, a big "Ministry of Economy" whose role would encompass those of the two ministries above. The ministry of economy would have an intendance mission : providing what the other ministries need to work properly. But this ministry wouldn't influence decisions of the other ministers.

The functions of the Ministry of Economy will precisely be :
- To adjust the sliders in agreement with the People or the President. These two get actually to decide who should get what budget. The minister of economy should only give documented advice.
- To check if cities produce a good amount of money, and petition the city planner to build marketplaces and banks where it has to be. The minister of economy has no direct power on cities however.
- To check if resources and luxuries are well dispatched in the empire, and to petition the minister of public works if different. The minister of economy has no direct power on workers.
- To establish trades with the AI involving resources, luxuries or gold.
- To haggle gold amounts in a trade decided by the foreign minister. The minister of economy has to agree with trades involving goods among other things (example, he has to agree to a suggested "Fur for IronWorking" trade). The minister of economy has no direct power on trades involving gold among other things, but no trade goods.

The Minister of Economy loses a function of the Minister of Trade in the process : the ability to call for trade embargoes, which goes to the foreign advisor.

3 things more :
- this proposal, if accepted, will be effective next term. It won't change the organization of the government during this turn.
- this proposal will need a 2/3 majority in the poll to be effective, as it's an amendment to the constitution.
- the creation of the ministry of economy would make the trade and finance ministries irrelevant. Trade and Finance ministries would then be deleted.
Old June 26, 2002, 10:31   #2
JSeeds
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:16
Good call. I'll vote for this.
Old June 26, 2002, 10:34   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:16
Good idea. It has my support.
Old June 26, 2002, 10:36   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It was my idea.

But Spiffy developed it, so and thanks.

(By the way I support it )
Old June 26, 2002, 10:39   #5
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:16
Quote:
the minister of finance has to manage the sliders of science and luxury. He also must check the efficiency of the cities concerning commerce, and petition the city planner to build marketplaces and banks when the need arise.
I agree with the plan, but since when was i in charge of commercial efficiency in the cities ...oh well, doesnt matter much anyways right now...

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 26, 2002, 10:41   #6
Spiffor

In fact, it was a common idea we had while chatting before the game even started.
But a majority favored the existence of the finance ministry, which I always felt as double timerwith trade ministry.
That's why I propose an amendment to the constitution, to achieve more efficienc and thus more greatness for the empire !

Edit : civman :
Sorry I couldn't let you check before posting this, but your PM box was full. I thought you had to check the efficiency, because it's stated in the constitution : "the finance minister can require a marketlace to be built in cities where it would create 5 more gold" (or something like that, I'm too lazy to look for the exact sentence )
Old June 26, 2002, 10:45   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Support.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 26, 2002, 10:47   #8
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
In fact, it was a common idea we had while chatting before the game even started.
But a majority favored the existence of the finance ministry, which I always felt as double timerwith trade ministry.
That's why I propose an amendment to the constitution, to achieve more efficienc and thus more greatness for the empire !
Yes, but I actually made a thread about the thing.

It seems to make a lot of sense though anyways, why didn't you go with 1 office before the game started?
Old June 26, 2002, 10:47   #9
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:16
hmmm...i looked before posting and the only thing it mentioned was the sliders.... My PM box has been being full at very random times for the past few days, even when there's only like 3 things in it

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 26, 2002, 10:51   #10
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:16
I like this a lot.

Sell your photos
Old June 26, 2002, 10:59   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

I'll vote for this, but I actually think that Trade should be just eliminated, with part of it going into Foreign, and part going into Finance.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:13   #12
Papa Chubby
Warlord

This sounds like a good idea making the minister posts fewer and therefore more powerfull, able to coordinate the effort of the economy more precisly. I´d definately support this reform of the governing body of Apolytonia.

I think that if we would simply elimante the position and add its responsibilities to those of foreign and finance. It would give these two ministers too much influence and probably too much to do compared to the other minister, this is of course applies when looking towards the future.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:35   #13
jdd2007
NationStates
King

i like the idea a lot, but do the ministers of trade and finance?
Old June 26, 2002, 11:40   #14
Spiffor

I am the minister of trade. And civman2000, minister of finance, agress with the plan. Our president does too.
Old June 26, 2002, 11:41   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

So you agree to give up your post?
Old June 26, 2002, 11:50   #16
Spiffor

Not exactly, as the ministry of economy will take effect next term. civman and myself will keep our charges until next election, in the most democratic fashion.

EDIT : btw, it seems nobody is willing discuss the proposal. I suggest I make a true poll then, by 20:00 GMT. Any opposition ?

Last edited by Spiffor; June 26, 2002 at 11:59.
Old June 26, 2002, 12:36   #17
iain
Settler

support
Old June 26, 2002, 14:25   #18
Spiffor

Poll posted : http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=54106