Old June 28, 2002, 17:51   #31
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 21:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Confused Designs lead to Confused Games
Just to get my 2 cents in on this discussion.

Firaxis failed to keep their game design consistent from start to finish. If they were looking for a simplified strategic game, it gets mired in the poor combat model. If they were looking to use some of the tactical combat that SMAC was perfectly setup for, they oversimplified the units.

Being a fan of SMAC, and having done some modding in CTP2, I was disappointed that CIVIII hadn't included alot of the neater touches from even CIVII, and had nothing in the way of improvements to game play or mechanics that were started in SMAC.

Not that the game isn't challenging or somewhat enjoyable, I'm dissappointed that they produced a muddled game design and then left minimal tools with which to clarify it. And there were other areas of strategy that were left out that could have given a strategic version much greater depth.

Hopefully they will show more decisiveness as to what kind of game they were trying to make with the release of PTW.

D.

- Chinese Proverb
Old June 28, 2002, 17:53   #32
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 03:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why?
Sorry to spam but...

Why can't we just let this thread die?
Old June 28, 2002, 18:06   #33
Fitz
King

Local Time: 19:17
Because it's the first civil discussion of the like I've seen on this issue (as opposed to a specific "problems" thread), and becuase I'm actually interested in seeing how many people are of a like mind and still play CivIII. And why. And lastly, because I am very interesting in hearing the counterpoints of those who think CivIII is very very good, and are willing to actually explain why.
Old June 29, 2002, 09:28   #34
Barchan
Warlord

Local Time: 03:17
And because he is, by name at least, a bastard, and an admitted anarchist to boot.
Old June 29, 2002, 11:29   #35
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Barchan
And because he is, by name at least, a bastard, and an admitted anarchist to boot.
hi ,

, is this not the wrong place to use these words , .....

have a nice day
Old June 29, 2002, 19:57   #36
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 23:17
I agree with Fitz.

I played the original Civ, Civ II, and Colonization before I played SMAC. My expectations for SMAC were SKY HIGH. My expectations were not only met, but exceeded in every possible way.

Not surprisingly, my expectations for Civ III were just as high. Civ III was a big disappointment in most respects. Nearly everything was dumbed down--the units, the tech tree. Perhaps even worse, it lost all of the "flavor" that made SMAC such a joy to play again and again--wonder movies, quotes. It's the "flavor" that adds to the one-more-turn feeling; without the "flavor", you don't have as much incentive to carry on to your next big objective.

I'm rambling now... I guess I can sum up Civ III in one word:

Bummer.