Old June 26, 2002, 16:59   #1
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 04:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Continents, please >sniff<
Does anybody know how to get larger size continents? I usually play huge (or large) maps, average erosive forces, 50%-70% ocean coverage, and mostly end up on a little island which is explored with two scouts well before 2120. I want to have more space for expanding and find it extemely annoying to have to start over ten times before I get something remotely to my liking. Does anybody know the alphax.txt setting to get a similar effect as the "large continent" in good old Civ? The comments in the file are not too helpful, unfortunately.
Old June 26, 2002, 18:57   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 20:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I hope I am not saying anything too blindingly obvious, but why not just back off on your ocean coverage. No guarantees, but if you like random maps, your odds will be better of hitting a continent.
Old June 26, 2002, 19:03   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 16:18
Lower Ocean Coverage = Larger Continents
Lower Eroision = Larger Continents
Old June 26, 2002, 19:10   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:18
My only suggestions have been covered but might I ask why you restart if you don't like the start. In SP the CHALLENGE is in taking a bad start and still crushing the AI quickly. Personally I would never restart . . . a bad start is about the only way the game can throw a curve at you and make you change your tech beelines and strategies. Stuck on an island ?? -- well beeline to doc flex and get out of there.

The SP game is easy enough to win as it is . . . why make it easier or morte predictable??
Old June 26, 2002, 19:25   #5
Adalbertus
Prince

Hm. I'm not sure if small islands make it a bigger challenge. Mostly, the AI is also on small islands and all the loading/unloading makes it simply more annoying without being a bigger challenge. And somehow, I play SMAX a bit like Sim City ...

With blind research (which I almost always do) it is more a sort of bumblebeelining to DocFlex
Old June 26, 2002, 20:55   #6
Petek
lifer
Prince

I prefer starting locations similar to yours. I used to experiment with changing the Alphax.txt entries in the "Worldbuilder" section. However, I found that making radical changes in this section caused imbalances in the game (such as rivers appearing and disappearing at random). You might want to try setting the "Islands" entry to 1 (default value is 36). This yields a planet with a single continent (or something similar, haven't tried this recently).

HTH

Petek
Old June 27, 2002, 10:59   #7
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Adalbertus
Hm. I'm not sure if small islands make it a bigger challenge. Mostly, the AI is also on small islands and all the loading/unloading makes it simply more annoying without being a bigger challenge. And somehow, I play SMAX a bit like Sim City ...

With blind research (which I almost always do) it is more a sort of bumblebeelining to DocFlex

. . . and for me thats the challenge - the only SP game I lost in the last 50 I played was when I was Miriam with double-blind research on a small island. I lived there in utter isolation for about 100 years until a heavily armed AI cleaned my clock-- But I learned a lesson from that-- if on an island get the WP secret project and build land ( often 2-3 strategic landraises will link you with other lands)-- Was the game the most fun ?? well . . . no. But for me, part of the challenge is taking the game as it comes . . . If the SPartans come calling against your Morganites in 2106, just deal with it-- looking back there are usually ways to pull out the win against the AI in even the worst starts
Old June 28, 2002, 00:44   #8
bondetamp
Prince

Local Time: 05:18
I rarely play to be challenged. I usually restart untill I have a small continent that is just about large enough that I can fit 5-10 bases around the edges with no overlap. I've spent too many hours with micromanaging to want another 200+ bases game.
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
-H. L. Mencken
Old July 2, 2002, 00:32   #9
GM Blues
Settler

Local Time: 22:18
I have the same preference you do. I like one mega-continent w/ everyone on it. Setting low erosion (fewer moons) will do the trick, methinks.
Old July 3, 2002, 16:07   #10
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 03:18
I like the concept of building the small island nation-perhaps 4 to 5 main bases with a second expansion much later in the game. Too often, in my limited experience with the game, the generator makes one big glob of land or a bunch of stringy continents. Yech.

DAve
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 8, 2002, 14:14   #11
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 00:18
that's what i don't like about the SMAC map maker. when you make a map with 30-50% ocean, you get one huge stringy continent which is about 10 tiles wide, but snakes along the enitre globe. the kind of map i like is a map of planet-ish map with a few large continents and no small uninhabited islands. about the only thing i liked about Civ3 (let us never speak of it again) was that you got to choose if you wanted archipelago, continents, or pangea.
Old July 8, 2002, 17:44   #12
Adalbertus
Prince

Quote:
about the only thing i liked about Civ3 (let us never speak of it again) was that you got to choose if you wanted archipelago, continents, or pangea.
You don't need to speak of it, Civ1 already had this choice. I really don't understand why it isn't offered in SMACX.
Old July 8, 2002, 22:08   #13
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

My pet gripe is when you want to play on a humungous map - say 256 x 256 - and choose 50% to 70% water, you get a great distribution of around 30 or so small continents/large islands ........

but .....

the game engine crowds all seven factions into maybe 1/4 of the map, sometimes with another faction on your same landmass.

That's a real pain

G.
Old July 10, 2002, 14:02   #14
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 03:18
Ah well, at least that's good for pod popping as theres a ton of "vacant" land for the length of the game. Or than that you're right, it sux.

DAve
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.