Old June 27, 2002, 13:40   #1
Pillager
Settler

Local Time: 03:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I Know your Enemy's Enemy is your Friend, but...
I have a war with the Greeks, and wipe them out. A few turns later, I go to see the French, and my adviser advises that I be careful because the French betrayed "our friends the Greeks".
As the title says, I know your enemy's enemy is your friend, but considering I destroyed the Greek civilisation calling them my friends seems a bit strange! Hardly a major problem, but maybe one that could be amended sometime.
Old June 27, 2002, 13:51   #2
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 22:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yeah I always found that strange. There are a few other examples of little quirks like this one. One of these examples is when during diplo negotiations you offer the AI 2 luxuries, world map, 1 tech for only 1 of his tech's and he says "forget it, it's never going to happen"!

That's frustrating but then after about 10 turns when I have saved up about 2000 gold I try the same deal again and he agrees because I've sweetened the deal by throwing in 900 gold. Now why couldn't he have said that in the first place instead of saying forget it, it's never going to happen.

Sometimes I feel like getting in my car and driving all the way to maryland and finding the guy who programmed this game and seriously $^#@%^#@%&@%^@&@@#$^&@$#&#$ him up.
Old June 27, 2002, 14:16   #3
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 04:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Yeah I always found that strange. There are a few other examples of little quirks like this one. One of these examples is when during diplo negotiations you offer the AI 2 luxuries, world map, 1 tech for only 1 of his tech's and he says "forget it, it's never going to happen"!

That's frustrating but then after about 10 turns when I have saved up about 2000 gold I try the same deal again and he agrees because I've sweetened the deal by throwing in 900 gold. Now why couldn't he have said that in the first place instead of saying forget it, it's never going to happen.

Sometimes I feel like getting in my car and driving all the way to maryland and finding the guy who programmed this game and seriously $^#@%^#@%&@%^@&@@#$^&@$#&#$ him up.
Ten turns later the tech might be much cheaper, because other civs discovered it. If you ask the AI what he wants for a tech or resource and he says "it's never going to happen", that means that you simply don't have enough to offer at that time. A few turns later, the price might have changed drastically.
Also take into account that the value of luxury resources depends directly on how many happy faces you (or the AI respectively) would gain, so the price for that changes with the number of cities, number of market places and other luxury resources you already have.
Old June 27, 2002, 15:19   #4
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucilla
Ten turns later the tech might be much cheaper, because other civs discovered it. If you ask the AI what he wants for a tech or resource and he says "it's never going to happen", that means that you simply don't have enough to offer at that time. A few turns later, the price might have changed drastically.
Also take into account that the value of luxury resources depends directly on how many happy faces you (or the AI respectively) would gain, so the price for that changes with the number of cities, number of market places and other luxury resources you already have.
Thanks for the clarification!

I wish though that the programmers simply wrote what you said into the AI's reply instead of "Forget it, it's never going to happen". It is true that after playing for a while any intelligent person can figure out why the AI is saying no, but a simple straight answer would save many a headache.
Old June 27, 2002, 15:29   #5
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 19:21
Re: I Know your Enemy's Enemy is your Friend, but...
Quote:
Originally posted by Pillager
As the title says, I know your enemy's enemy is your friend, but considering I destroyed the Greek civilisation calling them my friends seems a bit strange!
I didn't really understand this either, but rationalized that perhaps your advisor is just being diplomatic or using rhetoric to convince you that the French really ARE evil. Either way it doesn't ring true.
Old June 27, 2002, 15:53   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
I have a war with the Greeks, and wipe them out. A few turns later, I go to see the French, and my adviser advises that I be careful because the French betrayed "our friends the Greeks".
As the title says, I know your enemy's enemy is your friend, but considering I destroyed the Greek civilisation calling them my friends seems a bit strange! Hardly a major problem, but maybe one that could be amended sometime.
Yeah, must agree with this. And especially this one would be extremely easy to fix - just omit the word "friends" and it is WAY better: "French betrayed the Greeks (in the past)." No need to say whether Greeks were our friends or not. I prefer to keep myself at a distance from all those other guys anyway... all of them have already betrayed me one time or another...
Old June 27, 2002, 16:35   #7
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification!

I wish though that the programmers simply wrote what you said into the AI's reply instead of "Forget it, it's never going to happen". It is true that after playing for a while any intelligent person can figure out why the AI is saying no, but a simple straight answer would save many a headache.
I guess, my answer would have been to long to fit into the box on the screen
Old June 27, 2002, 17:08   #8
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 23:21
Quote:
Well, if you destroyed them, I'm sure you kept a couple of their cities, so the Greek people are now your friends.

Basically, the game sees any civ you are not at war with as "friend". Simple solution, they could put "The French have betrayed the Greeks before, don't trust them." No reference to friend at all. Easy as pie.
Old June 27, 2002, 18:53   #9
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Why don’t you just change the text file? You can have all sorts of other fun there as well. You would not believe the things that hot little number I downloaded for a Cultural Advisor wants me to do with her in ALL my cities…
Old June 27, 2002, 20:46   #10
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
. . .Sometimes I feel like getting in my car and driving all the way to maryland and finding the guy who programmed this game and seriously $^#@%^#@%&@%^@&@@#$^&@$#&#$ him up.
Yea. Take a number and get in line.

So they're in Maryland!
Old June 27, 2002, 22:24   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:21
Quote:

They prefer cash as to deals per turn aswell.
certainly when you are not on 'polite/gracious' terms.
culture and militairy capabilities come into the picture too.
This is all offcourse coming from personnel experience and could be well off
Old June 27, 2002, 23:41   #12
Andreiguy
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

perhaps the advisor is being sarcastic?

or more likely, the programmer was drunk?

Old June 29, 2002, 19:40   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
hi ,

, would it be possible to post a SAV(e) ,.....

have a nice day
Old June 30, 2002, 04:14   #14
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

1 week of posting ban and 10% pcr to Haupt. Dietrich, and Coracle for their "jokes"
Old June 30, 2002, 05:26   #15
zulu9812
King

Quote:
That'll be Soren then.

But seriously, this has got to be a bug rather than a design feature. It sounds like what happens is that for the purposes of reputation, friend/enemy status isn't taken into account. SO betraying your enemies is frowned upon! Also, bearing in mind that the AI isn't as smart as we are, if France got the message "Germany [you] betrayed our friends the English" - even though France was at war with England, your standing with France would still go down. Which has got to be a bug.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old June 30, 2002, 07:48   #16
HazieDaVampire
King

no, i think its just a design floor! Somthing they stupidly designed and missed out a few lines of programing so they could get home early for some...
...sugar!
I suppose they just missed it out in the x-mas rush (mmm, prezies!).

They really should of sorted it out ASAP!
Old June 30, 2002, 11:00   #17
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 21:21
What if since the Greeks don't exist any more then they don't have a current reputation standing. Therefore, the a considered in a default (friend) status, because the logic does not know what else to do.