Old June 27, 2002, 17:09   #1
Barfus
Warlord

Local Time: 22:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: I am the last Roman. Or is it Irish-Roman-American?
Huge Map Archipelago Strategies

Im playing one of these for the first time and found Im quite unfamiliar with the strategies involved. I.E. building relatively large galley -based navies to transport troops short, but unfortunately wet, distances. It is definitely not the style Im used to playing. Especially considering that I am playing 16 civs, there is not all that much room and I have to make my presence felt early in the game. Normally, in a continental type game, I would build up some considerable garrisons before marching out on my own. But it is harder to do when everyone is more or less "overseas." Any tips?
Old July 4, 2002, 19:03   #2
0bsidi0n
Warlord

Local Time: 20:21
I'm not really qualified to offering you advice, but I gotta say it's wierd to hear things like this so often. I always play archipelago; I love naval battles, island hopping, and the whole "no border secure" mentality. Wish I could offer something other than "cross your fingers whilst map is generating"...
Old July 4, 2002, 22:57   #3
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 21:21
Concentrate on offense, not so much on defense. Your friends should be close, but your enemies should be closer .

The mad dash for the Lighthouse can give you an entire era of dominance, since you'll be able to reach land masses the AI cannot and can be more important than the GLib in a pelago game.

The archer rush is pretty much obsolete by the time you can transport it. If you are lucky, you can squeeze in a sword/horse rush before going to knights. The key factor here is a large fleet of galleys and concentration of force.

Love your sig, 0bsidi0n.
Old July 5, 2002, 00:04   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by dawidge
Concentrate on offense, not so much on defense. Your friends should be close, but your enemies should be closer .

The archer rush is pretty much obsolete by the time you can transport it. If you are lucky, you can squeeze in a sword/horse rush before going to knights. The key factor here is a large fleet of galleys and concentration of force.
Well, it depends, in games like this,
the tech race is often alot slower (less contact),
so it might still work. But then again, 16 civs on archipellago = crowded
Old July 5, 2002, 19:54   #5
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 22:21
Re: Huge Map Archipelago Strategies
Quote:
Originally posted by Barfus

Im playing one of these for the first time and found Im quite unfamiliar with the strategies involved. I.E. building relatively large galley -based navies to transport troops short, but unfortunately wet, distances. It is definitely not the style Im used to playing. Especially considering that I am playing 16 civs, there is not all that much room and I have to make my presence felt early in the game. Normally, in a continental type game, I would build up some considerable garrisons before marching out on my own. But it is harder to do when everyone is more or less "overseas." Any tips?
All I can say, is that I found the AI to die in archipelago maps, so spread and hold, spread and hold, and repeat. As mentioned above, the Lighthouse will be your lifesaver. Also, I suggest avoiding Republic too soon, in fact go for Monarch, since you'll need to spread out a lot and you'd need some garrison support.
Old July 5, 2002, 20:29   #6
Alkis
Warlord

Local Time: 03:21
If you want a different opinion here's one.

Play a builder game and don't attack. If you play Emperor level or lower you don't need to attack. Change to Republic asap and build infrastructure. Establish contact with the other civs so that you can trade. Use diplomacy and trade in a clever way.

I have countless games won in a builder style, I can give you saves if you want to.

OTOH if you are a bloodthirsty warmonger I can't help you but others can.

-
Old July 5, 2002, 20:56   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Alkis
If you want a different opinion here's one.

Play a builder game and don't attack. If you play Emperor level or lower you don't need to attack. Change to Republic asap and build infrastructure. Establish contact with the other civs so that you can trade. Use diplomacy and trade in a clever way.

I have countless games won in a builder style, I can give you saves if you want to.

-
I wanted to try this in my last game.
MAX archippellago
max water, etc

I GOT stuck on the biggest island. it contained about half the land tiles from the map. i got 3 neighbors, so it was basically a pangea game until i wiped them out. (late middleages )
after that I was to powerfull to make and interesting game

next time deity