View Poll Results: Should we have a Code of Ethics added to our Constitution?
Group A - Yes, we are a moral people, we need strict standards 7 10.14%
Group A - Yes, but only for certain things 31 44.93%
Group B - No, send them all to Hell! 31 44.93%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28, 2002, 23:43   #31
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 19:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Forbidding ourselves from certain "atrocities" may prove to be our undoing in the future. We are fighting for our very existentence, for our sacred culture and way of life. Such "unethical" strategies might be our only avenue of victory. We cannot risk losing because we feel these bytes' pain.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old June 29, 2002, 02:52   #32
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
Hmmmmn

I knew that I should have read the constitution before trying to be a smart alex.
Don't worry, OPD - you aren't the only one who finds the Constitution unreadable (no offense Trip - it's just so loooong).

I have a proposal:

ethics should NOT be Constitutional past a certain point, as they are in modern life. It is not a law to be nice to people, just as for centuries slavery was legal, if not very conducive to people being nice to each other. I propose that we may add some things (eg no razing) to the Constitution, whilst having others (eg no slavery except of absolute sworn evil enemies) as hust understandings. You may say " What point is it then, as the Government could violate these unwritten ethics without fear of penalty?" Well, how about this.

Since we are going the whole political party etc. way, why don't we carry the roleplay a little further? How about every citizen roleplays a certain set of morals, and votes and posts accordingly? That why, although a Government cruelly enslaving innocent French citizens escapes impeachment, they are slammed in the press and in the discussion threads. At election time each candidate would have to state their intentions and agenda (they should really have to anyway), and everyone would vote on their assumed morals.

You could adopt a very real life sort of anti-slavery, anti-war etc. set of morals, or be the sort of blooidthirsty bastard that skywalker is (you KNOW you love it ). Although the game favours those less kindly tactics in most cases, we don't need to stick to that.

At the moment you are reading in incredulity, saying "MrWIA - are you mental? We have to escape this jungle and SURVIVE through war." Well, you can always change your morals. At the mo' I favour the vicious warpath we are planning, but later perhaps I will think we can live without the sadistic subjugation of others that some will no doubt urge us towards. Then again, I may feel they deserve it.

This need not be an aspect of the game that everyone follows, but some may want to try it (probably in the face of overwhelming ridicule ). At the very least I hope I have opened your minds to a new idea of how to milk some more fun out of this game.

Oh, and if anyone's interested in moralizing in the game and are afraid of the certain laughter, let me know and we'll stand together!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 29, 2002, 03:06   #33
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Here are my ethics (from **** Marcinko, a very special US SEAL):

-I am the War Lord and the wrathful God of Combat and I will always lead you from the front, not from the rear.

-I will treat you all alike-just like ****.

-Thou shalt do nothing I will not do first, and thus will you be created Warriors in My deadly image.

-I shall punish thy bodies because the more thou sweatest in training, the less thou bleedest in combat.

-Indeed, if thou hurteth in thy efforts and thou suffer painful dings, then thou art Doing It Right.

-Thou hast not to like it-thou hast just to do it.

-Thou shalt Keep It Simple, Stupid.

-Thou shalt never assume.

-Verily, thou art not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy before he killeth you by any means available.

-Thou shalt, in thy Warrior's Mind and Soul, always remember My ultimate and final Commandment:There Are No Rules-Thou Shalt Win At All Cost.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 29, 2002, 03:16   #34
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Lest you think otherwise, that does not mean I advocate war above all other courses.

I mean, let us do what is necessary to win.

Civ3 requires, I think, a balanced approach to all aspects of the game... especially true when faced with the daunting start we've gotten.

War when appropriate, but not war for war's sake.

Building and expansion when we can most benefit.

Not to insult anybody, but I dislike the idea of parties ploarized around these issues... rather, there should be a synthesis of styles resulting in optimum strategy.

Read Marcinko's words again, without framing him as a warmonger.

I applaud a code of ethics... within the context of realpolitik.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 29, 2002, 08:25   #35
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Don't worry, OPD - you aren't the only one who finds the Constitution unreadable (no offense Trip - it's just so loooong).
I could have made it longer.

But I strongly recommend that everyone read the Constitution thoroughly, especially if you're going to give some input on an Amendment. It would be like... running for President with having only played for a few days. After all, that's why threads like this were posted in the first place... to amend our official set of rules that we must play by.
Old June 30, 2002, 18:47   #36
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Ahem. Everyone needs to take this eriously right now since the YES options far outweigh the NO.

It shall not drop off the page.

Old June 30, 2002, 23:14   #37
JSeeds
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:22
I can't believe yes is winning!

Adding ethics into the constitution is just going to bog down the game. If people don't want to support an action or decision because of ethical reasons, than just vote against it. That's why we call this the DEMOCRACY game, right?
Old June 30, 2002, 23:26   #38
GoodFella
Warlord

Yes may be ahead, but it needs 2/3 majority, not simple majority.

And I agree with everything JSeeds said. The idea of ethics in this game is ridiculous.
Old July 1, 2002, 01:12   #39
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:22
Adding some of the proposed ethical rules to this game would be a very good way to write it off as unplayable/unwinable.

Do we want that?

Note to self. Next time a Civ3 demo game gets going, urge in the STRONGEST terms possible that it be played at Regent difficulty.
Old July 1, 2002, 02:11   #40
GoodFella
Warlord

When does this poll close?
Old July 1, 2002, 03:48   #41
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Ah, c'mon. This is going to be the smallest amendment to the Constitution possible - hell, the polling rules will be more confusing!

We just need to have public approval from a poll before we enslave/raze/pop-rush etc. These things should only be considered as last resorts, or the result of a vicious blood-feud - can't have the Government exerting such extremes of control over its citizens, can we? Just think of it as a control on how powerful the Govt is and how much effect Ministers' actions have on our reputation without polling for approval.

Let's say we raze a city, creating unnecessary bad feeling between nations. We try to end the war there, but because of our transgressions we can't, and end up in a spiral of resource-waste from war that loses us the game. You can bloody well bet that the blame would be laid square at the feet of either the Military Commander or President, or the whole Cabinet plus turnchat group for allowing this to go forth without public approval.

Morals aren't absolute, but if they are there it keeps the authorities in line, unless the people themselves bay for blood (and we can't always assume that will be the case).

It's just a little more power to the people, is all.

Old July 1, 2002, 13:46   #42
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 22:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
This is a "group" poll. We add up Yes1 and Yes2. If Yes1+Yes2 > No, then "Yes" wins. The "Yes" with most votes (currently Yes2) eventually wins the poll, even if it has less votes than the only "No".

However, this is an amendment. An amendment must be accepted by 2/3 of voters. Meaning the "yes" group must add 67% to pass. Currently, "yes" lead by a few votes, but not enough to amend the constitution.

Edited for clarity
Thanks
Old July 1, 2002, 14:11   #43
Kuciwalker
Deity

I like the roleplaying idea.
Old July 1, 2002, 14:18   #44
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
hi ,

it looks like we ought to vote again , ....

have a nice day
Old July 2, 2002, 13:30   #45
Proserpine
Warlord

I agree we should have some "limited" CoE, but am still unconvinced as to the specifics. Whether or not this is a group poll as has been suggested, we need further discuss before deciding.

Where is the abstainers option (banana).
Old July 2, 2002, 14:52   #46
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

In my opinion this is simply an opinion poll since this isn't really approving an amendment, it is just asking should we even try to make one on ethics. This amendment would still have to pass by a 2/3 vote.
Still i vote no, since in the end the ballot box will enforce the ethics/desires of the people and this would just be an artificial burden on the game.
Old July 2, 2002, 18:22   #47
HazieDaVampire
King

no Ethics yet, we are not modern!
Old July 2, 2002, 23:06   #48
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

The poll has spoken: it's time to think up your ethics!

Old July 3, 2002, 02:02   #49
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

OK. Kill or be killed.

BTW. The Yes side did not gain 67%. Therefore ethics, both yours and mine, will remain a private matter.
Old July 3, 2002, 02:16   #50
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Hmm. I thought that this was not an official adding to the Constitution poll (due to the fact we haven't even proposed any ethics to add to that document), but was more a "should we get the Ministers to take the idea seriously?" type poll.

This passed, so we should think about some ideas in specific to vote on , and it is these that would need 67% to pass.

Old July 3, 2002, 02:23   #51
notyoueither
Deity

OK. I propose 'Kill or be Killed.' It will pass by 67% I think.

But, the question said Should we have a Code of Ethics added to our Constitution?. That question did not receive 67%. Therefore I think it is rather presumptuous to go ahead and begin formulating specific ethical proposals, since the people have already declined to adopt the concept.
Old July 3, 2002, 02:35   #52
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

That is very likley, NYE. But we can't presume what will and will not be accepted witout specific polls for that nature. Perhaps 20% of the voters here thought "code of ethics" meant absolutely no slavery, razing, firste strikes etc. etc. This is but one possible code of ethics open to us, and without more detailed polls and discussion, all we can conclude from this poll is that a straight out majority of voters currently like the idea of adding SOME ethics to our Constitution.

Old July 3, 2002, 02:41   #53
notyoueither
Deity

However, not enough to add the concept to the constitution.

I feel for you. I have had my ideas of ideal institutions shot down in these courts of the public before. It behooves us to accept the verdict... until a day that things are different.

The day will come when we are no longer the weaker civ. The day will come when Apolytonians stride the world safe in the cloak of citizenship in the great republic that we may become. That day is not now though.

Today, we eat or we are eaten. We use every dirty trick and advantage that we can come by. We grow or we die. Anything that detracts from our eating and growing is not good.
Old July 3, 2002, 02:45   #54
notyoueither
Deity

In short. Ethics are for those who can afford them. We cannot.
Old July 3, 2002, 02:50   #55
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Fine arguments. If only we can have a proper discussion thread prior to a more specific amendments poll!

And we certainly cannot ignore the majority decision of this poll - I would LOVE to hear what some Ministers have to say, especially Trip and Timeline.

Old July 3, 2002, 03:30   #56
GoodFella
Warlord

Majority or not, this poll was to determine whether or not to add an ethics amendment, thus the 2/3 (which yes didn't get) applies, which means no code of ethics within the government structure..

Like many have said before, ethics will best remain a personal matter in poll votes.
Old July 3, 2002, 09:55   #57
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

It is ashame that over 100 citizens (well over half) did not even vote.
Old July 3, 2002, 10:44   #58
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

I really don't think that this idea got the publicity it should have to be considered a serious issue - there may well have been more voters, and voting differently, if there was a priority attached to the idea in the first place, instead of just one prior thread (although a truly good read of a thread).

Old July 3, 2002, 11:27   #59
Robber Baron
Prince

Not enough publicity?
Judging by the level of discussion, this issue has received a thorough airing out. It's been on the front page of the forums consistently, and received input from all kinds of folks (not just the core posters).
Old July 3, 2002, 11:28   #60
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Mrwhereitsat you are always more than welcome to propose any amendment you desire to our constitution.
To quote our constitution

Amendments:
Amendments to this Constitution can be submitted by any member of our nation. An amendment is passed and made official by a 2/3 or greater vote on the amendment's inclusion.

so if you have a specific ethics amendment by all means propose and I am sure all of us here will give it a fair hearing. Its very possible that the votes will be there to pass it, that were not there for the more general idea.
Good luck
Aggie