Old July 3, 2002, 12:59   #31
JoeDaddy715
Settler

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
PS, when you're serching for ANYTHING ELSE to do, the game SUCKS! you should just go out and get laid lol. If it was a "real" game, everyone would either quit with nothing to do, or throw some whacked stuff at the DM and see how he/she copes. Now, that's fun!
Old July 3, 2002, 14:01   #32
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:22
Errr...ok.
*calls local law enforcement*
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old July 3, 2002, 14:46   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:22
LOL

well I talked about a couple of RPG's in that other thread.

I only played Morrowind for a few minutes. while I'm not keen on the character system (I still love d & d chars), the game looks very full. You can swim in the water and do all sorts of stuff. Definately a game I want to play in the future.

Believe it or not I do want to play dungeon siege in the future (after NWN and Morrowind). But I don't want to pay full price for it. Maybe I'll just borrow my brothers copy. The graphics are very nice. But I agree, I didn't like the character interactions (ie fighting). I actually didn't mind fast clicking in Diablo. At least you felt like you were doing something

And then NWN the grandaddy of them all. As I said in the other thread people's expectations were too high. they figured the game was developed for 5 years it should be the game of all games. Well it isn't. But I think it is a solid game. Just don't go in thinking this game will change your life- it won't.

I find NWN addicting. I'm starting to get into it more in chapt 2 which I just started. The game is still a little bland and empty. The world is more empty than I would prefer. I would prefer more bushes, tall grass, and trees. But I still haven't got outside the city- so I may be wrong.

The interface is weird, but using the hotkeys, I don't see the interface as a major hassle. Although I took detect (as in detect traps) mode off my hot key, and I don't know how to get it from the radial menu to the hotkey. I hate the radial menus. Although you can use a number combination (that represent each block on the radial menu) to access any command from the radial menu. Think of it like 2 or 3 hot key combinations. I haven't tried that yet though.

BTW I am playing NWN multiplayer with my brother. I'm a cleric (war and strength domains) and he's a wizard. This of course might influence my review of the game. Playing single player original campaign probably isn't as interesting.

And I said before some of the rules adaptations are kind of weird. They scaled them so you could play the game single player. But this has really pissed a lot of people off. Take it easy I say.

I look forward to playing my cleric again soon. So I figure it must be a good game.
Old July 4, 2002, 14:03   #34
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
As someone else said Fallout 2.
A bit dated graphically but probably the best in terms of allowing you to be good/evil etc.
Or even Arcanum which i really enjoyed despite its flaws. More emphasis on the 'RPG' than the graphics.
Old July 4, 2002, 15:40   #35
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
Arcanum had a really nice concept, but there's just one point where I got stuck due to bugs. (i.e. the next thing I had to do wasn't happening).
Old July 4, 2002, 16:11   #36
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:22
yeah if you can find a Fallout1/Fallout 2 package for 10 or 15 dollars it would be worth it.

If you like "real" RPG's. Where dialogue choices actually matter (unlike NWN apparantly ). You run the risk of pissing off the guy (or girl) if you say something stupid and offensive.

The combat is turn based. It can be challenging though. Because enemy gunfire can tear you apart . With the tougher guys you can't just go into a pack of 4 or 5 of them with heavy weapons and expect to live. It's better to either hit them from afar or use a rocket launcher
Old July 4, 2002, 17:14   #37
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Planescape: Torment is a good buy too... a bit reading heavy, but great story (you'd love it Sneak).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 4, 2002, 17:55   #38
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I got Planescape: Torment on the cheap, getting into RPGs again after staying out for then years or so... it's a blast if you don't want hack-and-slash. Intriguing, complex... both sad and funny. In short, it's great. I don't like anything realtime, really, but since they simply don't do any tb RPGs these days, I like it to go light on mouseclickin' battles and high on plot, suspense and worldbuilding. P:T has that in spades.

I'm only halfway or so through the game, playing an hour or so per day, but I find myself thinking about it all the time even when I don't play. Always a good sign.
Old July 7, 2002, 13:31   #39
Grumbold
Emperor

The latest bundle in the UK has Fallout 1,2 and Tactics included. Wihtin a few months that should be a nice budget purchase for those who don't already have them all
Old July 7, 2002, 17:20   #40
Victor Galis
Emperor

I liked Baldur's Gate 2, and with the ability to give orders while paused, it was as close to turn-based as you can get. (Just that the turns are simultaneous).

But the dialogue left a bit to be desired. Trying to convince someone bent on killing you that you are not some sort of twisted demonic son of a god of murder is a bit hard with the limited dialogue choices given you. I found some of the accusations the guy bent on getting his ass kicked rather ridiculous given that I was a paladin, but the inevitable thing happened, and I promptly beat the snot out of him and his friends.
Old July 8, 2002, 10:13   #41
Grumbold
Emperor

Yeah BG II has good but not great dialogue. One problem with scripting the game for any class and alignment is that there will be times none of the choices fit you. Incidentally, you can even get BG2 to auto-pause every round for that "true" turn based feeling.
Old July 10, 2002, 15:31   #42
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 03:22
I liked Icewind Dale for the above-mentioned reasons, plus custom building your own party is nice. The only problem is I should've created a mage/thief instead of two separate characters so I could get better xp shares. I really dont want to have to go back through again. I have Baldur Gate II, but never even opened the box. Think I'll try it out.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 10, 2002, 16:36   #43
Victor Galis
Emperor

Arcanum did a very good job of having choices fit your character more. (Try playing the game with an insanely low intelligence or low charisma and tell me how you like your dialogue choices... unless you really like the brute force aproach to everything).
Old July 10, 2002, 18:15   #44
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hmmm...P:T sounds intriguing...storyline?
Old July 10, 2002, 18:30   #45
Victor Galis
Emperor

Umm... I don't remember well. But it was set in a fantasy world undergoing the industrial revolution, so your character could either build cool gadgets (and guns) or he could be a mage... or he could heck things up. Your charisma determined how many followers you had as well has how people reacted to you (this actually seemed to matter). It also gave you more dialogue options sometimes.
Old July 11, 2002, 16:22   #46
Old n Slow
Civilization II Succession Games
Prince

I find myself playing Lords of Magic a lot. It is not a true RPG, but has some of that flavor as well as a turn based strategy (like Civ2).
Old July 11, 2002, 18:31   #47
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Victor: That's the storyline of Arcanum.

Quote:
Hmmm...P:T sounds intriguing...storyline?
Basically when is starts up and you wake up on a slab in a mortuary. You have all these scars and tattoos on you. You find out that you keep on dying and awakening afterwards, but when you awake you forget everything you've done in your prior lives. So, your mission in P:T is to finally DIE, go into the deep sleep, and stop this damned reincarnation crap.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 11, 2002, 18:44   #48
Grumbold
Emperor

I'd say your objective is more to find out who you are, what you have done, what has been done to you, why you seem to be immortal and amnesiac and then decide what you are going to do about it. The old amnesia gag is pretty stale in films but in this RPG the who/what/why plot is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.
Old July 12, 2002, 16:57   #49
Space05us
King

Local Time: 15:22
Quote:
...I can sort of explore an environment with random quests, rather than one where I have to check off a laundry list of crap to progress?
hmm... you probably wouldn't like Wizardry 8 then.... it has a fully interactive environment you can explore, and lots of quests that give you exp and money. there are also quests you can go on to get better gear. but it also has the part where you have to 'find the pinkie ring'. also it's a very story oriented game, so most of the quests are a laundry list that have you racing back and forth across the world. I like it though
Old July 16, 2002, 08:02   #50
Space05us
King

so which one did you get??
Old July 16, 2002, 08:37   #51
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 05:22
Great thread! I just myself though of getting a RPG (used to play the real RPG:s some 10 years ago, a lot). Being into SP games (no time for MP) I think Morrowind sounds fun. Just one question: having never played computer RPG:s, will it be hard to get into?
Old July 16, 2002, 15:51   #52
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 03:22
No - Morrowind is easy.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 17, 2002, 15:01   #53
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, so far I kind of like Dungeon Siege. But the complaints are accurate--it is extremely linear, and character development is so automatic (practically) that some of the fun is taken out. Plus, the spells are rather limited, as you find one or two that work and don't really bother with the rest.
For now, it is perfect, due to my limited time. It is also just fun enough to be somewhat addictive, so I've put in a few long sessions when I could. I think I'm about a quarter of the way through and don't seem to be having too many problems just using two fighters, an archer and a nature mage.
It has a lack of puzzles, which I like, but the play isn't balance that great...I seem to be slightly too strong and some of the challenges are a bit of a cakewalk.
I think (system permitting) that Morrowind or something similar will be my next purchase.
Thanks for all your input...I can check this thread later for ideas.
Keep 'em coming...

BTW, has anyone else here bought Dungeon Siege? I'm on the road to Glitterdelve, battling Yetis and wolves...will I be able to pick up a combat mage soon, or should I have bought the dude way back in Stonebrook?

Late....
Old July 17, 2002, 17:54   #54
Grumbold
Emperor

I played right through to what seems to be the last chapter but by then I was so bored I couldn't be bothered to finish it. If I remember rightly, you get the option to pick up another mage at the end of the glitterdelve, but the game is designed so you can do it with one or eight characters - you just gain levels faster or slower to compensate.
Old July 18, 2002, 03:07   #55
Space05us
King

I played dungeon siege for about 20 minutes at a friends house the other day. it is fun but like you said not much thought is required. I like the fights though they're fun to watch. lots of eye candy, and the dead bodies remain. which can be useful for making sure you're not going backwards. (the wrong way that is)
Old July 18, 2002, 09:03   #56
Grumbold
Emperor

Its easy to tell if you are going the right way. If you go forward more than 10 paces and don't have a fight, you are going into a section you have already done
Old July 18, 2002, 09:55   #57
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sneak: The reviews I've read for NWN are pretty good, although they all mention linearity in the single player version--its biggest advantage over Morrowind is its multiplayer option.
Old July 19, 2002, 17:52   #58
Grumbold
Emperor

The one player campaign that comes with NWN is not the finest RPG adventure to ever be seen on a computer. The beauty of NWN is that its just the start of what you can do. If you only think you will play the campaign and put the game on the shelf, get Morrowind.
Old July 21, 2002, 21:31   #59
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 11:22
I had a similar party makeup at that stage of DS. Up through to the Glitterdelve town was a cakewalk. Glitterdelve Mine was a bit harder with all of the tougher Krugs and the rock monsters. Getting to Glacern after exiting the mines was harder still.

Morrowind does have its share of puzzles/quests (which you stated you didn't enjoy very much) but they aren't really that complicated - its more a matter of keeping the enormous number of them in mind and working through those you wish to do.
If in doubt as to whether you'd like it or not I'd suggest trying one or two of Sierra's old QFG series first - which can be found on a number of abandonware sites.
Old July 21, 2002, 23:29   #60
Pythagoras
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
King

P: T is the best RPG Ive ever played in my life.

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown