Old June 28, 2002, 07:56   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 23:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Election Idea
Why don't we make our elections (or at least those with 3 people) multi-choice, so that people can vote for their second choice as well?
Old June 28, 2002, 08:02   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:23
No. It could seriously change the outcome, especially becuase there's no way to give only half a vote ors omething to the second choice, they are equal. HAving run hte story contest in the stories forum for months now I have seen how much the results change from the preliminaries, in which you can vote for multiple ones, and the finals, with only one vote. REally popular preliminaries stories end up 3rd or 4th out of 4 in the finals sometimes because everyone thought they were prety good, but not the best.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old June 28, 2002, 08:53   #3
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I agree. It is not fair to give more than one vote. Perhaps if multiple people in the same party want the position, they could go and do a primary, but the looser still would have the option of placing their name on the ballot as an independant.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 28, 2002, 09:01   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The other possible way is a 2 round election : someone needs an absolute majority of voters to win, but only the 2 who got most voices in the first round can make it to the 2nd round. (Such a system is currently useles however, as we have very few candidiates... But using it would incite people to present themselves)

For the time being, I think our current system perfectly fits our needs
Old June 28, 2002, 10:33   #5
jdd2007
NationStates
King

well, in the election between skywalker and johnny, no one currently has a majority. if it stays this way, there must be a runoff poll...
Old June 28, 2002, 11:02   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

As I said in the other thread, that's not in the constitution, so whoever gets the most votes wins the spot.
Old June 28, 2002, 11:05   #7
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 22:23
Hurah! none of this Florida stuff... good clean, single vote elections!
Old June 28, 2002, 11:48   #8
iain
Settler

Local Time: 03:23
we should be able to vote for two candidates in a three way race, perhaps a poll is in order ?
Old June 28, 2002, 11:59   #9
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

IMHO, voting for two candidates is outrageously wrong. Do you want two presidents if there are three candidates? No, you just want one, that is why you vote for one.

If your voting like "Well, I want this guy to win, but If he doesn't win, I want this guy to win", thats not how it works. Thats how people decide on soft-drinks in a restaurant, not on ministers or presidents.
Old June 28, 2002, 12:12   #10
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

We should only get one vote for one canidate. The canidates running were in a way already supported by their parties. There is no reason to have a second round.

Sell your photos
Old June 28, 2002, 16:56   #11
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Multiple choice would simply not work. Imagine a situation where there are three candidates, A, B, and C. Half of the citizens love A and hate B, while the other half loves B and hates A. The first half vote for A, and also vote for C, to ensure B doesn't win. The second half vote for B and C, for similar reasons. End result? C wins, the candidate that nobody wanted.
Old June 28, 2002, 18:15   #12
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:23
No.
2 words-
vote sharing.