Old July 11, 2002, 23:56   #31
tniem
King

Local Time: 22:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Rantz

Yes it's the guardian from MOO2, the trailer is the 'end' of MOO2, with the guardian being defeated, per the backstory posted on the moo3 site.
Well there you go! That is what I had been arguing about. I apologize, it apparently has everything to do with the game then. But again you have to be a die hard MOO gamer to get that. Glad that it fits the story but some how that should be indicated to the gaming populace that might stumble upon this trailer but have no idea what the story is or want to read 70 pages to find out.
Old July 12, 2002, 00:12   #32
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Local Time: 23:23
I wonder what the 5 x's are. The ones that you are supposed to collect in order to win the game. Are they just artifacts that you "collect" or are they valuable items where just 1 of them might help you win in another way? Are they specific pieces of a puzzle? Do they change from game to game, or are they the same?
playshogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2002, 12:37   #33
Rantz
Quicksilver

Local Time: 03:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi
I wonder what the 5 x's are. The ones that you are supposed to collect in order to win the game. Are they just artifacts that you "collect" or are they valuable items where just 1 of them might help you win in another way? Are they specific pieces of a puzzle? Do they change from game to game, or are they the same?
They are 'pieces to a puzzle' in the most simplistic way of putting it, and if the player collects all five, they meet the victory condition. However to get all five... it's not going to be easy.
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2002, 08:55   #34
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
There are some Antarrans alive? I could have sworn in all the games of MOO2 I played that I was the "mysterious force" that wiped them out, and I thought I got all of them. I'd better play it again and do a more thorough job
Old August 15, 2002, 23:31   #35
SeanV
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:23
The Antarians are still alive!
Grumbold:

What you can destroy in MOO2 is not the only Antarian world... at least according to the backstory. It is merely a fleet assembly\repair\rest area for the Great Antarian navies, and it is also used as a forward base in the Antarians great search for the Old Orions.

So all you did when you killed them in MOO2 was make 'em mad

Old August 16, 2002, 10:19   #36
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
Bah, that backstory is pants

My glorious fleet swept in on the Antarrans and blew their pitiful "homeworld" defences to smithereens without taking a single casualty. Our tech was decidedly superior to the Antarrans despite this being a significant world of theirs.

The fleet and the ground base set up to ensure the bugs were all dead would have had scanners to spot any other planets within hyperspatial distance and the fuel cells to go anywhere they liked. We were hardly decadent at that point and willing to declare the job done, no need to explore the rest of the galaxy. So a warlike expansionist race determined to ensure every last Antarran was dead just goes home to celebrate at the freedom party and scraps dozens of doomstars before the Antarran fleet arrives? Pah! I'd have been happier if they had incorporated more of the hyperspatial rift backstory in, so that the player is given a reason why they couldn't explore further than their current corner of space. I can't think of another reason why a vigorous race would not seek to continue pushing the boundaries outward to make sure that they were safe from other predators.

Still, I'll give the "New Orions" their due if that's what the backstory demands. Just so long as they know that I will eradicate all of them alongside their unreformed Antarran cousins for the insults contained in that obviously fabricated "official history".
Old September 5, 2002, 23:41   #37
Long Happy Man
Chieftain

how to view?
Hi,
I tried viewing the teaser with RealOne and Windows Media player but it does not seem to work. However on Windows media player I can only hear the sound. Do I need additional pulgins etc? I have the latest version for both.
Old September 6, 2002, 02:56   #38
Imhotep
Settler

Local Time: 23:23
Re: how to view?
Quote:
Originally posted by Long Happy Man
Hi,
I tried viewing the teaser with RealOne and Windows Media player but it does not seem to work. However on Windows media player I can only hear the sound. Do I need additional pulgins etc? I have the latest version for both.
You need Quicktime from Apple. You can dowload it from here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
Imhotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2002, 03:07   #39
Long Happy Man
Chieftain

cool ..many thanks!
Old September 30, 2002, 23:53   #40
Glostakarov
Chieftain

I didn't like the Moo2 intro that much, mainly because the commander on the space station was giving his orders in the same tone of voice I would expect him to use asking for a cup of coffee. He says "launch emergency distress beacon now" as if he expects to be done scraping the antarans off of the outside of the hull when help arrives a few weeks later. It always made me laugh. The single defense ship was silly too.