Old June 28, 2002, 12:29   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 21:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
toddler suicide bomber
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/...oto/index.html

The IDF says they found this picture of a toddler dressed up as a suicide attacker.

The family of the baby says that it was a joke done during a party:
[quote]
"The photograph was taken some time ago at a party when someone dressed up the cutest baby as a suicide bomber," a relative said.[\quote]

Is this for real or is the photo a fake like the PA claim?

If the family is telling the truth, then the Pals have hit a new low.

Who in their right mind dresses up a baby as suicide attacker as a joke or a game during a party?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old June 28, 2002, 12:33   #2
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
There is no reason to doubt this picture. We all know what education Palestinians get.
Old June 28, 2002, 12:41   #3
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
It's comments like that, Eli, that make peace impossible. You assume that all Palestinians hate you and your people personally. And that's not true.

You assume that every Palestinian teaches their children that murder is a good thing. That's not true.

Both sides must trust the other before peace can be achieved. You have to stop making assumptions. The Israelis and Palestinians cannot hate each other just because the other hates them back.

Never ending death!

But that is a pretty tasteless joke...

I hope you were being sarcastic, Eli.
Old June 28, 2002, 12:50   #4
The diplomat
King

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/2071561.stm

Here is an article from BBC on the same story.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old June 28, 2002, 13:07   #5
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Aww, that kid does look awfully cute...
Old June 28, 2002, 13:19   #6
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:24
I heard that they have "summer camp" for suicide bombers. True?
Old June 28, 2002, 13:26   #7
lightblue
Warlord

Local Time: 04:24
Call me cynical, but the words "Israeli propaganda" spring to mind...

Then again when you're dealing with fanatical psychopaths you can't rule out anything...
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old June 28, 2002, 13:27   #8
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Are Pals not allowed to have humor nowadays? I, for one, think it's ingeniously funny.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 28, 2002, 13:31   #9
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 05:24
It might of cource be propaganda but I wouldn't doubt that it could or have happend. There's a lot of stupid parents on this globe that does this kind of thing. I've seen pictures of children i every damn uniform one can think of by know. Some more disgusting than the rest.

I've seen children around my block dressed in T-shirts with a policeuniform-print on lately. Not good for my paranoia.
Old June 28, 2002, 13:33   #10
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
I think the photo is kinda funny too. The reaction is even funnier though.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 28, 2002, 13:36   #11
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

When i grow up, i wanna be dead.
Old June 28, 2002, 13:44   #12
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
I think the photo is kinda funny too. The reaction is even funnier though.
There is nothing funny about that picture! Dressing up your baby as a murderer is not good humor. That pic is absolutely revolting, if you ask me.
Old June 28, 2002, 13:47   #13
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
There is nothing funny about that picture! Dressing up your baby as a murderer is not good humor. That pic is absolutely revolting, if you ask me.
I have an odd sense of humor. Plus I'm pretty cold and heartless. You just don't like the idea of people having different views than you.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 28, 2002, 14:03   #14
The diplomat
King

Quote:
You just don't like the idea of people having different views than you.
I have no problem with people with different views. You'll just forgive me for not accepting views that involve the indiscriminate killing of civilians.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:03   #15
klesh
King

How about dressing as the Unibomber for Halloween, thats fairly cold and heartless. Thats me too

-FMK.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:05   #16
Apocalypse
Emperor

The diplomat, these views are totally involuntary though.

Klesh, the problem is that most people have forgotten what the unibomber looks like. It wouldn't really produce the desired result.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:15   #17
klesh
King

Apoc.

We'll find out wont we? That is my garb for this year. The hooded sweatshirt I will be using is in fact my Apolyton hoody! Got me the glasses, and an old US Army field jacket. Grow my Beard out good and scraggly for it, and I am the spitting image. Heh.
Attached Images:

Old June 28, 2002, 14:17   #18
Apocalypse
Emperor

Maybe it will work. Make sure you take a picture before you go out.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:35   #19
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
Apoc.

We'll find out wont we? That is my garb for this year. The hooded sweatshirt I will be using is in fact my Apolyton hoody! Got me the glasses, and an old US Army field jacket. Grow my Beard out good and scraggly for it, and I am the spitting image. Heh.
Hopefully the FBI will accidently arrest you. Now that would be funny!
Old June 28, 2002, 14:38   #20
Apocalypse
Emperor

You're pretty undiplomatic for a diplomat.
Old June 28, 2002, 14:49   #21
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
You're pretty undiplomatic for a diplomat.
Are you related to Armageddon by any chance ?
Old June 28, 2002, 15:12   #22
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

In case any of our resident "all Euros are anti Israel/pro Hamas" are reading this, I'll reassure them that today's BBC reporting has been the most damning of the Palestinians that I've seen in years. The militia schools got slammed.
Old June 28, 2002, 15:41   #23
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

From that BBC article:

Quote:
Some opinion polls conducted in Palestinian areas show a majority of people favour suicide bombings against Israeli civilians as a tactic to liberate land occupied by Israel.

But recently a group of Palestinian intellectuals took out an advertisement in Palestinian newspapers condemning suicide attacks as counter-productive, but their call has been widely ignored.
Oh, what a lovely war.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 28, 2002, 15:53   #24
Az
Emperor

Quote:
You assume that every Palestinian teaches their children that murder is a good thing. That's not true.
not murder , self surcrifice in the name of allah.
Old June 28, 2002, 15:54   #25
Az
Emperor

yeah, Ron, I saw BBC world today
Old June 28, 2002, 16:08   #26
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

unsure, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be an Israeli fake.
Old June 28, 2002, 16:10   #27
GePap
Emperor

Tasteless, but not an issue
The Picture is very tasteless and in horrible spirit. I don't think it was forged by the IDF, which is a pretty outrageous and stupid idea, but I also think its a non-issue and a waste of time. We already know most Palestinians support suicide bombers though in these threads we certainly disagree on why.

This picture changes no minds, except those of the ignorant or uninterested, who will be horrified until the next news about Britney Spears come out, and then they will forget it.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old June 28, 2002, 16:12   #28
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 05:24
So what is the next news about our beloved Britney by the way?
Old June 28, 2002, 16:13   #29
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
So what is the next news about our beloved Britney by the way?
You didn't hear??? Justin dumped her for not putting out!!! Kimberlie is slowly recovering from her amnesia, though, and Todd's pact with Satan is starting to finally pay off!
Old June 28, 2002, 16:14   #30
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

She's a dirty slut.

But that's not really news, is it.