Old June 30, 2002, 18:44   #151
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
-Yes, I just don't like turning an 8 mile walk started at 4:30pm into an 8 mile hike, because there is no way I would make it home before dark most days then. And on the days when I could make it home before dark, it would be too hot to walk. If I made it home at 8:30pm, my life would have sucked royally. In high school I went to bed at 10:30-11:00 at the latest.
If you can't handel that, don't you have friends?

Quote:
-Most tournaments clashed with scholar's bowl and math tournaments. Besides, at my school we reffered to LD as Loser Debate.
Wow. I guess that is coming from the math team people? LD has hotter girls. Debate also looks better than SB and Math on applications.

Quote:
-Maybe, but the way I have been taught debate was way too card intensive for my tastes. Maybe it's because the people who taught me sucked, but that's not exactly my fault, now is it?
Didn't you read what my practices were like? You don't need to be taught. I wasn't taught. I hate so called intellectual people like you who need to have their hand held at every turn. Do things yourself everyonce in awhile. I'm not saying you should be independent at the level I am (I taught myself how to tie my shoes, and it is in a totally different way than what everyone else does), but you need to do some things on your own.

Quote:
-Shows you how much West Point knows The problem with calculus is not that people can't understand it, it's that most schools do a **** job of teaching all the stuff that leads up to it.
West Point knows what they are doing.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 30, 2002, 18:47   #152
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 23:24
Quote:
Not at all. It doesn't take extra resources to get teachers to accelerate high school math.
-You overestimate teachers. Some schools don't have the teachers to propperly teach these subjects at this pace, let alone faster. I'm not saying people can't keep up if the classes are accelerated, I'm saying that the teachers can't propperly teach them that fast with everyone understanding.
Old June 30, 2002, 18:48   #153
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Again, that isn't necessarily true with major government pressure.
I'm sorry, but the government would never pressure the SAT to include calculus, at least not for a long time. You have to be reasonable.

Quote:
Why?
You just admitted my entire point. Changing the SAT would create a pressure for change in schools.
I admitted that in crazy world (the only place were you're scenario would take place) something might happen. Calculus would not be added nor does it need to be.

Quote:
Besides with honors and AP classes, how?
Add points to GPA.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old June 30, 2002, 18:49   #154
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
-Yes, I have bad social skills because I chose not to disturb class
You were one of those people? Either you had very little homework or you are a total loser. I don't want to flame here. I must say though, that the top people in my class screw around all the time.
Old June 30, 2002, 18:50   #155
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Not at all. It doesn't take extra resources to get teachers to accelerate high school math.
Actually it does. Many teachers who are already teaching Calculus are crazy or don't really know what the hell they are talking about.
Old June 30, 2002, 18:54   #156
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
If you can't handel that, don't you have friends?
-I had 2 friends who lived remotely in the right direction (everyone else seems to live on the opposite side of the school). One didn't drive a car, and I couldn't regularly depend on the other. I did manage to play some Ultimate Frisbee after school in the last year depending on the not so able to help me out friend, but I coulnd't have done anything that required a steady commitment.

Quote:
Wow. I guess that is coming from the math team people? LD has hotter girls. Debate also looks better than SB and Math on applications.
-That may be true, but it's not as fun. And our school doesn't do crap to support academic activities. We have a good math team because we have good math teachers who care. We have a good SB team, because we have the raw brainpower, but we don't have any teacher even close to being able to lend the sort of support required for debate.

Quote:
Didn't you read what my practices were like? You don't need to be taught.
-It makes quite a difference. Sure, I can argue, but to debate you need some sort of training.

Quote:
I wasn't taught. I hate so called intellectual people like you who need to have their hand held at every turn.
-, you clearly don't know me.

Quote:
Do things yourself everyonce in awhile. I'm not saying you should be independent at the level I am (I taught myself how to tie my shoes, and it is in a totally different way than what everyone else does), but you need to do some things on your own.
-Go off to Europe on your own for a couple weeks, then tell me about how to be independent. Otherwise, don't presume to tell me how to be independent. Independence is part of the reason I have crap for leadership skills.

Quote:
West Point knows what they are doing.
-I have serious doubts about that.
Old June 30, 2002, 18:57   #157
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
You were one of those people? Either you had very little homework or you are a total loser. I don't want to flame here. I must say though, that the top people in my class screw around all the time.
-I had the ability to finish my homework very quickly compared to other people (I had long mastered the art of doing a half-assed job). I have no respect for people who can not sit quietly when the teacher is lecturing, but frankly a lot of my early teachers were really boring, so I had to stay awake somehow.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:01   #158
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
-That may be true, but it's not as fun. And our school doesn't do crap to support academic activities. We have a good math team because we have good math teachers who care. We have a good SB team, because we have the raw brainpower, but we don't have any teacher even close to being able to lend the sort of support required for debate.
Here you go again. You don't need support for debate. You need to get that idea out of your head that people need to tell you exactly what to do before you are able to do it. My preparation for debate consisted of watching a couple rounds. That was it.

Quote:
-It makes quite a difference. Sure, I can argue, but to debate you need some sort of training.
I sorry, but you don't. You may think you do, but you are just messing yourself. LD is quite simple, especially with your apparent raw intellectual power.

Quote:
-, you clearly don't know me.
Yes I do. You believing you need training for debate proves this.

Quote:
-Go off to Europe on your own for a couple weeks, then tell me about how to be independent. Otherwise, don't presume to tell me how to be independent. Independence is part of the reason I have crap for leadership skills.
Bah. I'd go to Europe if I was rich like you. I've been on vacations alone before, without any relatives helping me and without my parents even knowing about it.

Quote:
-I have serious doubts about that.
You're just living in a dream world where math means more than it really does.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:03   #159
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
-I had the ability to finish my homework very quickly compared to other people (I had long mastered the art of doing a half-assed job). I have no respect for people who can not sit quietly when the teacher is lecturing, but frankly a lot of my early teachers were really boring, so I had to stay awake somehow.
We all know how to BS. What is this about staying awake too? If you aren't going to talk, you should sleep. Once again, you don't need a teacher for you to know what to do.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:05   #160
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I'm sorry, but the government would never pressure the SAT to include calculus, at least not for a long time. You have to be reasonable.
The government would never do most of what I advocate. What's your point?

Quote:
Add points to GPA.
Explain...
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old June 30, 2002, 19:08   #161
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Actually it does. Many teachers who are already teaching Calculus are crazy or don't really know what the hell they are talking about.
Yep. A major reason for this is the sorry state of our education system. More funding for education would help, but not completely. Teacher wages aren't the only reasons for the lack of competent education.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old June 30, 2002, 19:08   #162
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
Here you go again. You don't need support for debate.
- Where exactly do you debate? I have seen the difference between good debaters and crap debaters. I have a friend who is a really good debater, but then again his school debate team has a huge budget to go to all sort of nice tournaments. Mine didn't.

Quote:
You need to get that idea out of your head that people need to tell you exactly what to do before you are able to do it. My preparation for debate consisted of watching a couple rounds. That was it.
-Somehow I am seriously beginning to doubt you are any good at debate. You would probably be torn to shreds by some of the teams in my area.

Quote:
I sorry, but you don't. You may think you do, but you are just messing yourself. LD is quite simple, especially with your apparent raw intellectual power.
-But LD is irrelevant, because I was a policy debater.

Quote:
You believing you need training for debate proves this.
-There are many aspects of debate theory you do not get without training. Hell there's a lot of things you don't get if you've never been taught anything about debate. Sure, you can go out there and debate, but when push comes to shove...

Quote:
Bah. I'd go to Europe if I was rich like you. I've been on vacations alone before, without any relatives helping me and without my parents even knowing about it.
-Rich. Ah, you clearly underestimate my ability to travel cheaply.

Quote:
You're just living in a dream world where math means more than it really does.
-Everything is important in shaping the way we think. Foreign languages, math, science, social studies, but we're only debating about math. Now, I could make many similar comments about you, but I will refrain from it.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:11   #163
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
What is this about staying awake too? If you aren't going to talk, you should sleep.
-Sleep? And waste time?

Quote:
Once again, you don't need a teacher for you to know what to do.
-That was my point, wasn't it?

Quote:
-Join the club.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:11   #164
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
I'm debating real life here.

Quote:
Explain...
You took hard courses. You get a 5.6 instead of a 3.6.

Quote:
Yep. A major reason for this is the sorry state of our education system. More funding for education would help, but not completely. Teacher wages aren't the only reasons for the lack of competent education.
I'm just saying how changing the SAT won't change much because of this.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:13   #165
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
-And yet you claim to be a debater

Quote:
-I wish my school did that... we only got 1 extra point for AP classes, so I ended up with a 4.3. 4.5 was theoretical max, but that was too much work to be worth it.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:20   #166
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
- Where exactly do you debate? I have seen the difference between good debaters and crap debaters. I have a friend who is a really good debater, but then again his school debate team has a huge budget to go to all sort of nice tournaments. Mine didn't.
I debate in the Houston circut. It is suppose to be the hardest in the US.

Quote:
-Somehow I am seriously beginning to doubt you are any good at debate. You would probably be torn to shreds by some of the teams in my area.
Maybe you'd barely win in policy since you are far more experienced.

Quote:
-But LD is irrelevant, because I was a policy debater.
I was talking about how you don't need someone to tell you how to do LD for you to do it. It is cheaper than policy too.

Quote:
-There are many aspects of debate theory you do not get without training. Hell there's a lot of things you don't get if you've never been taught anything about debate. Sure, you can go out there and debate, but when push comes to shove...
Make up your own theory or read up on it. Either way, you don't need someone to help you along.

Quote:
-Rich. Ah, you clearly underestimate my ability to travel cheaply.
My parents would not help me and I have no money to waste on Europe. Even $500 would be a significant burden to my reserve fund.

Quote:
-Everything is important in shaping the way we think. Foreign languages, math, science, social studies, but we're only debating about math. Now, I could make many similar comments about you, but I will refrain from it.
Math plays a small part though. The problem solving skills can't be gain in other ways. This doesn't really matter though. You're apparently very good at math, yet need help in most aspects of life.

Quote:
-Sleep? And waste time?
You could be up later in the night talking to friends or being at Poly.

Quote:
-That was my point, wasn't it?
The fact that you listen enough to decide if they are boring or not is bad.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:22   #167
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
-And yet you claim to be a debater
That makes no sense.

Quote:
-I wish my school did that... we only got 1 extra point for AP classes, so I ended up with a 4.3. 4.5 was theoretical max, but that was too much work to be worth it.
My school doesn't do that. We just get 7 points on a 100 point scale. I was just saying what some schools do.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:23   #168
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

Drug legalization, free trade, the end of our police state, etc. You call that reality?
Real life isn't often discussed here.

Quote:
Link?

Quote:
I'm just saying how changing the SAT won't change much because of this.
It's a real problem down South. Public school teacher wages aren't that bad up North, though.

Also, many competent people aren't in the public school system for reasons other than financial. Just look at a Magnet school, for instance. They have the same problems wrt teacher salaries, but get competent teachers because the schools aren't crapholes.
-Bokonon
Old June 30, 2002, 19:28   #169
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:

Drug legalization, free trade, the end of our police state, etc. You call that reality?
Real life isn't often discussed here.
This isn't about those topics. It is about viable options.

Quote:
Link?
This is at a friend's school. I don't know what the web site address for it is and even if they would put it up on the web site. my school doesn't announce its grade changes on its web site.

Quote:
It's a real problem down South. Public school teacher wages aren't that bad up North, though.

Also, many competent people aren't in the public school system for reasons other than financial. Just look at a Magnet school, for instance. They have the same problems wrt teacher salaries, but get competent teachers because the schools aren't crapholes.
This doesn't really matter. There aren't enough teachers to go around already. Maybe if everyone had a TV in the rooms and the best teachers were shown on it this would work. Unfortunantly, too many people hate this idea because it would put the bad teachers out of a job.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:30   #170
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe you'd barely win in policy since you are far more experienced.
-Nah... policy was fun, but the people who win are the people who dedicate their lives on it.

Quote:
I debate in the Houston circut. It is suppose to be the hardest in the US.
-I shall make my own enquiries.

Quote:
I was talking about how you don't need someone to tell you how to do LD for you to do it. It is cheaper than policy too.
-My point was that you need support for policy. LD is irrelevant, because I wouldn't have done LD.

Quote:
Make up your own theory or read up on it. Either way, you don't need someone to help you along.
-Ah, but there are certain aspects of meta-debate that you just wouldn't discover on your own... not in four years. Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it does.

Just jumping in to debate like that is like playing chess without reading any chess books. Sure, you can get pretty good at it. I do it this way, but then the people who put in the effort will tear you up and be able to explain to you how they did it with terms that you won't even begin to understand. I gave up on debate because I neither wanted to be horribly crushed by the really good people, nor wanted to invest the time to become really good.

Quote:
My parents would not help me and I have no money to waste on Europe. Even $500 would be a significant burden to my reserve fund.
-Ah, so you are poor... but do not accuse me of being rich Sure, I was rich this year, but last year... that was a budget vacation. Travelling through 9 foreign countries requires a bit more independence than just going somewhere in the States... maybe you don't have the money to, but you should try it sometime.

Quote:
This doesn't really matter though. You're apparently very good at math, yet need help in most aspects of life.
-Ah... you assumptions are based on very conformist notions.

Quote:
You could be up later in the night talking to friends or being at Poly.
-Or I could be done with my work, and have that time to be on Poly or talking to friends (which is what I did). I could afford to go to sleep early because I brought no work home... well mostly. Senior year it became impossible to do that because I liked my classes and they started giving out more work, but...

Quote:
The fact that you listen enough to decide if they are boring or not is bad.
-How do you figure? Good money is being spent on having those people lecture me, I can't just waste it indiscrimnantly. Sure, some of it is worthless.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:33   #171
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
That makes no sense.
-Policy debate is a whole lot of BS.

Quote:
-Viable option: Take new england. Form the province of New England, attach it to Canada... move to Canada.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:35   #172
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Why is getting the feds to change its point of view wrt the SATs so fundamentally unviable? It seems much more practical than anything else I've heard on fixing the education system.

Quote:
This doesn't really matter. There aren't enough teachers to go around already.
Sure there are. It's just that not enough would-be teachers become teachers due to the status quo.
-Bokonon
Old June 30, 2002, 19:44   #173
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
-Nah... policy was fun, but the people who win are the people who dedicate their lives on it.
You should have done LD then.

Quote:
-I shall make my own enquiries.
Good.

Quote:
-My point was that you need support for policy. LD is irrelevant, because I wouldn't have done LD.
I had no support. My teammate sucked too. You should have done LD though. It is more fun and you get to meet better looking girls.

Quote:
-Ah, but there are certain aspects of meta-debate that you just wouldn't discover on your own... not in four years. Maybe it doesn't matter, maybe it does.
Either you don't need those certain aspects, you can find a replacement for them, or you can read up on them.

Quote:
Just jumping in to debate like that is like playing chess without reading any chess books. Sure, you can get pretty good at it. I do it this way, but then the people who put in the effort will tear you up and be able to explain to you how they did it with terms that you won't even begin to understand. I gave up on debate because I neither wanted to be horribly crushed by the really good people, nor wanted to invest the time to become really good.
This is a bad analogy. If you really felt you needed a lot of time to prepare, you should have done LD. Much less preparation needed in that.

Quote:
-Ah, so you are poor... but do not accuse me of being rich Sure, I was rich this year, but last year... that was a budget vacation. Travelling through 9 foreign countries requires a bit more independence than just going somewhere in the States... maybe you don't have the money to, but you should try it sometime.
I'm not saying I'm poor, I just have limited resources. The resources I do have can't be touched unless they are really needed. You may need more independence for Europe, you may not. I'd have to know how it was planned out.

Quote:
-Ah... you assumptions are based on very conformist notions.
Don't know what you mean by this exactly. My point was that even though you are good at math, you seem to be lacking in problem solving ability.

Quote:
-Or I could be done with my work, and have that time to be on Poly or talking to friends (which is what I did). I could afford to go to sleep early because I brought no work home... well mostly. Senior year it became impossible to do that because I liked my classes and they started giving out more work, but...
I hope that great deal of senior work was because of AP classes. If not, you don't know the meaning of shutterdown.

Quote:
-How do you figure? Good money is being spent on having those people lecture me, I can't just waste it indiscrimnantly. Sure, some of it is worthless.
You own time is better spent learning it yourself. The extra time can be used for other things that are to your benefit.

Quote:
-Policy debate is a whole lot of BS.
Another reason you should have done LD.

Quote:
-Viable option: Take new england. Form the province of New England, attach it to Canada... move to Canada.
You are talking crazy now, and ruining my beautiful thread.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:46   #174
Apocalypse
Emperor

Quote:
Why is getting the feds to change its point of view wrt the SATs so fundamentally unviable? It seems much more practical than anything else I've heard on fixing the education system.
Adding calc to the SAT is just silly.

Quote:
Sure there are. It's just that not enough would-be teachers become teachers due to the status quo.
It would take a great deal of time to improve the teaching pool.
Old June 30, 2002, 19:58   #175
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
You should have done LD then
-I was in an environment where LD was Loser Debate. Several people whose opinions I trust told me this, given that info there was no point in wasting my time with trying to do it on my own.

Quote:
Either you don't need those certain aspects, you can find a replacement for them, or you can read up on them.
-Perhaps... see my chess analogy.

Quote:
This is a bad analogy. If you really felt you needed a lot of time to prepare, you should have done LD. Much less preparation needed in that.
-Saying I should have done LD, is like me telling someone they should have learned Calculus when their school didn't offer it... cutting cards for all the squirrel case negs was a pain in the ass.

Quote:
I'd have to know how it was planned out.
-I said to myself the fall before, next summer I will go to Europe... then I put off planning, until finally I put off planning until after graduation (speech at graduation was more important). So it's now June 2nd. I was hoping to leave ASAP. I end up leaving the 12th because that's the earliest date I could find a cheap ticket. Went online, bought a rail pass, bought a plane ticket, booked some hostels and went off periodically sending an e-mail home so my mom wouldn't freak out. Then I stayed at some relatives house near the end of my trip, then I met my mom in Paris, and we split up and I left for Romania where the non-independent part of my trip began.

Quote:
My point was that even though you are good at math, you seem to be lacking in problem solving ability.
-Quite on the contrary. You just seem to assume I want to solve certain problems which I don't want to solve

Quote:
I hope that great deal of senior work was because of AP classes. If not, you don't know the meaning of shutterdown.
-A bit. Some of it was because I had interesting teachers and I actually started listening. My English teacher for example. Not really the best of teachers, but a very interesting person. No... much of this work was not related to my APs. It was related to Multivariable and German 5, with a bit from AP Stat. I don't know where people get the notion that APs should be a lot of work. In some classes I got by just by paying attention and doing nothihng, others I paid no attention and did all the work. You just have to play it by ear. But I was very seriously burnt out by the end of senior year... I went two semesters then a quarter then two semesters with only a week or so of break in between at most.

Quote:
You own time is better spent learning it yourself. The extra time can be used for other things that are to your benefit.
-Some subjects, yes. There are some subjects where just paying attention works and it's less work. There are some teachers that are very interesting, not necessarily because of the subject but because of their stories.

Quote:
Another reason you should have done LD.
-But then I wouldn't get to connect everything to nuclear war

Quote:
You are talking crazy now, and ruining my beautiful thread.
-New England, and some surrounding areas are really the only salvagable parts of this country. The rest have so many problems it might even be worth just starting over.
Old June 30, 2002, 20:00   #176
Victor Galis
Emperor

You assume that math is my strong point. This may one day have been true, but now I can question that. I can not honestly say if I am better at math, physics, computer science, or foreign languages.
Old June 30, 2002, 23:41   #177
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What are your levels at math, physics, and computer science?
Old July 1, 2002, 00:02   #178
Q Classic
Emperor

victor's right about chamblee hs, actually. i went there. it's, ah... rather competitive. i should know. i was in the same class as victor. actually, i lived near him, too. neither of us had any reliable means of getting home easily.
GP: are you familiar with the lawrenceville highway/I285 exit? almost nobody from our magnet school lived in that area, so; neither of us having cars...

as to the sat: sure, having a low sat score will hurt you: but these days, the elite institutions look a lot at the resume, gpa, essays and classes one takes; as in, if you don't have oodles of ap credit (which they will ignore), if you're not president of such and such club, if you didn't write a coherent essay that told them exactly what they wanted... those things are ranked so much more importantly than whether you've done well on the SAT I/SAT II/ACT...

and yes, most people do go to state schools. that's where the SAT mattesr most. point being ? that doesn't mean the SAT tells you much. just like how an IQ test doesn't really tell you much.