Old June 28, 2002, 21:59   #1
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Monoliths Vanishing
this just came up recently: "the monolith has upgraded our unit to XXX status. then it vanished."

i had seen it once before and i thought it was just a fluke because it had only come up once before in so many games. it seems though that maybe a monolith can only upgrade so many units and then it says "alright that's it! i'm vanishing!" .

so does anyone know exactly how many units (or whatever it takes) until a monolith vanishes? basically i have a whole whack of units upgrading before entering into a war, i could maybe alternate monoliths so i could still get an upgrade and keep the old monolith from vanishing for the 2-2-2 FOP i get from it.

and i also find the whole concept of a building just "vanishing" ridiculous...
Old June 28, 2002, 22:06   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't know how many but I have seen this feature before and it is a LOT of upgrades before it happens. As for the loss of the 2-2-2, I think by the time this occurs I am just as happy to have it disappear and allow a crawled condensor or mine or worked borehole
Old June 29, 2002, 01:12   #3
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 22:25
While it generally seems to be a long time into the game before any Monoliths vanish (and I use them religiously, although perhaps not as much as a restlessly pacing AI might visit them), sadly, I have seen some (rarely) vanish disappointingly early in the game. So I think that it might be a (low) probability thing, likely weighted also by the MY (more likely to vanish as time goes on), but perhaps with some triggering event/tech/year introducing a noticable change in odds as it does seem that quite often several will go in the same or adjacent turns or close to it.

Assuming that the data is maintained in a simplistic style (i.e. fixed number of bytes per map location), the allocation of a byte or two (for every tile) just for monolith visit counters seems too unlikely-wasteful to support the necessary data to operate a usage based phase out system. The data could be stored less space-wastefully than that, but from hints left by various firaxis people, I've gotten the impression that much of the data is stored in a big table fixed format, so many bytes per cell style rather than a more database like method of numerous smaller specialized tables.
Old June 29, 2002, 06:43   #4
Clear Skies
Prince

Local Time: 03:25
IIRC, every time you upgrade a unit at a monolith it has a 1 in 32 chance of vanishing. I've only seen it happen once or twice myself.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old June 29, 2002, 09:51   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

ah, 1 in 32. that would explain why one might vanish after only 2 or 3 units in 1 turn, and not after 12 r-laser rovers in a row.
Old June 29, 2002, 13:30   #6
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 05:25
in my 2 (ever) games of SMAC, I have lost 2 monoliths (1 per game). first one late in the game and the second early in the game. so me thinks its propability.
Old June 29, 2002, 17:44   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

This has never happend to me in my games. But thats easily explained by the 1 in 32 chance.

Edited to make more sense.
Old June 29, 2002, 17:59   #8
waab
Prince

Happens quit often to me...wounder why, I think I lost three or four in my last game.
What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Old June 29, 2002, 18:00   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by waab
Happens quit often to me...wounder why, I think I lost three or four in my last game.
Really? Well, I suppose that your lucky enough to be the 1 in 32.
Old July 1, 2002, 17:18   #10
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 04:25
Happens every once and awhile.... always towards the end of game and almost always a monolith prviously controlled by AI (as mentioned, they visit those monoliths OFTEN).
Old July 7, 2002, 09:32   #11
Clear Skies
Prince

Oh yeah. The AI uses monoliths as often as it can - actually one of its few decent strategies. If AI Dee finds a monolith early on, it can practically eliminate her morale penalty throughout the early game.
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old July 10, 2002, 17:56   #12
Jac de Molay
Prince

Yang utilizes this tactic fairly well as the AI, as well. He can be potentially hazardous when rolling up on a monolith near one of your cities with a hoard of impact rovers.

Dave
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old July 10, 2002, 20:07   #13
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 16:25
I've had a fair number of monoliths vanish.
I strongly suspect it's only the 'popped' monoliths that can vanish, can anyone deny this? Prehaps with a ruins where one or more monolith has vanished.
Old July 10, 2002, 20:29   #14
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

I deny that, Blake.

Ruins monoliths frequently vanish. This is particularly true when the AI puts a base in the center of them and them proceeds to run a couple of hundred units through the monoliths. It's not at all uncommon to see the ruins reduced to three or four monoliths in the late game, if AI has had them the entire game.

Of course, you have to let them hang around that long to get to see it happen.
Old July 11, 2002, 00:27   #15
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame

heh, okay. Then that opens some interesting possibilities... monoliths oft get in the way of my boreholes, so by throwing hundreds of units at the offending monolith it would hopefully vanish and let me drill the borehole
Old July 11, 2002, 02:01   #16
Sikander
King

Local Time: 20:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
heh, okay. Then that opens some interesting possibilities... monoliths oft get in the way of my boreholes, so by throwing hundreds of units at the offending monolith it would hopefully vanish and let me drill the borehole
I do this for the same reason, but it is a lot of work for what ends up being little gain in the end.
Old July 11, 2002, 04:03   #17
MariOne
King

...Unless you are allowed to put Stockpile Energy in the Q after all those hundreds units you'll have to build for that purpose...
Old July 11, 2002, 04:27   #18
Blake
lifer

Heh. In my case I don't think I'll ever be building units for the sole purpose of elimating a monolith, but I will be focusing my unit upgrading on particular monoliths that I want eliminated....
Old July 12, 2002, 02:38   #19
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Unless you get the WP and also get rich and also put your bases as close together as you can (and even then perhaps), it still takes quite a while before a monolith is the worst tile in your base area - and that morale upgrade takes even longer to outgrow (practically never if you're pushing wealth et al) - so except for maybe in the Ruins (once you have HFs and the max fungus productions), a monolith is always welcome to stay in any of my base areas.

I hardly ever get the WP, because someone else usually wants it more than me, but if you do, it might be worth it to build an early sea former and submerge a monolith just to get that morale kicker on your early ships. It seems that (except maybe for Santi), you can't build a decent ship without a navy yard or bioenhancement center, and it takes a while to get to them. Some weapons and armor can be prototyped as cheaply on a ship as on a land unit, giving you a +2 morale boost all together if you build your protos on boats. Decent ships can be pretty useful - the "marines" attribute is pretty powerful if you've got the best navy (and you can use the sunken monoliths to help keep them in good shape).
Old July 12, 2002, 03:41   #20
MariOne
King

To sink monoliths you don't need the WP, or EnvEcon for that matter.
You just need HEC.... or nothing at all: just staple like crazy, you'll solve your drones problems for some decades, and as a by-product you'll get all the sunken monoliths you want... even sunken ruins!
What? Commerce? Of course you'll have to forget that for the whole game, that's the tradeoff... unless you wait for the SunSpots...
Old July 12, 2002, 23:53   #21
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:25
Sunken monoliths... makes you wonder why it's still above sea-level. perhaps they have floatation devices.
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 13, 2002, 00:37   #22
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Nah, they are just *really* tall.
Old July 13, 2002, 20:10   #23
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 04:25
how do you park an entire ship into the monolith?
Old July 13, 2002, 20:29   #24
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Is that a trick question?
"Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon
Old July 13, 2002, 20:35   #25
Method
Emperor

Matter Editation?

Either that or they can change their size on cue. That must be how you get them to pop out of unity pods...
Old July 13, 2002, 20:45   #26
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TKG
Matter Editation?

Either that or they can change their size on cue. That must be how you get them to pop out of unity pods...
How would you rather them to be? Mini versions of the original? Like in Red Alert 2 DeeZire? Sh!t, it's so funny to see an Apocalypse tank the size of a car.