View Poll Results: Should we build at the city sites proposed in Case Pink?
Yes, build at both sites. 41 75.93%
Build at the red site only. 5 9.26%
Build at the blue site only. 4 7.41%
No, do not build at either site. 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 30, 2002, 15:27   #31
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Spiffor: Apolyton is doomed anyway and can't remain our capital on the long term. This would be extremely unproductive. The capital has to be surrounded by cities to take full advantage from the low corruption. This is impossible with Apolyton and the capital has to be moved anyway, so its long-term efficiency doesn't much matter.

EDIT: Besides, smaller cities are all but unproductive. There are a couple of good threads about city spacing in the strategy forum. Tighter packing gives smaller, happier, less polluting cities, which save a lot of money on happiness improvements, hospitals and pollution cleaning facilities.
Old July 1, 2002, 05:05   #32
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:26
Even if Apolyton won't remain our capital for all eternity (which will be decided by the people), its spot remains great, and will be valuable in the future : grasslands, fish, whales, and maybe a resource make this spot excellent for any city, capital or not.
Old July 1, 2002, 06:14   #33
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 03:26
Do we have the time to spend our effort into building cities that we have no intention of letting remain. I´m guessing that once red city has lost the short-term usefulness of providing us with archers we will abandon it in favor of Settlers and workers.
Old July 1, 2002, 07:45   #34
Nym
Prince

I do not like overlapping, but as it maximises use of grassland and lowers corruption, I would vote both considering our particular situation.
Old July 1, 2002, 07:58   #35
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Even if Apolyton won't remain our capital for all eternity (which will be decided by the people), its spot remains great, and will be valuable in the future : grasslands, fish, whales, and maybe a resource make this spot excellent for any city, capital or not.
Apolytons position is all but good. While it may be acceptable in the beginning (food), on the long term this city site is mediocre. It has not enough shield producing tiles and fish and whales are not that good in Civ3 (like whales in Civ2 are). It probably won't even give enough shields to build a factory in a reasonable time. The grassland has only one possible resource (horses), which quickly becomes obsolete. The chance that the 2 forest tiles yield coal is minimal, much less than the tiles in the vast junge we are expanding to. And if we move the capital to France, corruption will cut in the small amount of shields the city produces.
Old July 1, 2002, 08:03   #36
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Papa Chubby
Do we have the time to spend our effort into building cities that we have no intention of letting remain. I´m guessing that once red city has lost the short-term usefulness of providing us with archers we will abandon it in favor of Settlers and workers.
I have a question. How are the cities located in Iceland? Evenly, or tightly packed only in the habitable parts? Did they already lose their "short term usefulness"? Maybe the Icelandic government should disband these cities and build more on volcano sites?

Just kidding.
Old July 1, 2002, 09:19   #37
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If pink is to work (and it appears that that is our direction) than place red and modified blue as indicated. Once we have another city on the river (assuming france doesn't beat us there) then consider disbanding red once conflic between them ensues, in the mean time keep it as a settler/worker factory.

How will it effect pink if instead of the first 2 archers we build another worker or two to start a road toward france? Then build the archers.

PS congrats on the election, Jonny.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 1, 2002, 09:42   #38
Harovan
staff

That doesn't give any benefit for now, as in the same time a worker roads 3 tiles (which would save 2 turns to go for the archer), an archer runs 17. If we delay Case Pink this way, we might face pikemen or musketeers in Paris.
Old July 1, 2002, 12:30   #39
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 23:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Comparing civ to the real world is wasted effort. Despite the work put into it, Civ3 is vastly different.