Old July 1, 2002, 15:57   #61
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 21:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'll never understand the whole "Gay Pride" thing in this day & age, but it doesn't really hurt anyone so if people want to get together and have them that's fine with me, as long as those same people don't ***** if there's ever a straight pride parade.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:59   #62
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:29
Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper
Why are you proud? I'm not in the slightest proud 'bout my sexual orientation. I just am. Can't understand people who take pride in theirs... Like they had no achievements to be proud of otherwise.
I guess the easiest way to explain it is that for decades gays were told they should be ashamed of it. See Che's post about Stonewall. Having had to struggle for the right to be seen as human beings, gays want to celebrate that they are no longer (in most cases) under an oppressive yoke.

I go just to have a good time with friends, as I think most do. The Parade also raises awareness on issues still of vital importance to the gay community still.

Overall, I'd say it's just a way for gays to come together once a year and just have a good time and celebrate something that gives us a sense of community.

Or, it's just an excuse to get lit and laid. Take your pick...
Old July 1, 2002, 15:59   #63
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
He didnt say he was proud to be gay, he said he's gay and proud he never made a snuff film.
Oh. Guess that's something to be proud of after all.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:02   #64
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
Originally Gay Pride Day was Gay Liberation Day. Liberation is too lefty for these post-Reagan days.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 1, 2002, 16:03   #65
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
as long as those same people don't ***** if there's ever a straight pride parade.
Would you really want to see thousands of scantily-clad straight men marching down 5th Avenue?

Gay pride parades are not exclusionary of straights, and I'd wager more watchers in many cities are straight rather than gay.

Besides, isn't the straight parade the St. Patrick's Day one?
Old July 1, 2002, 16:04   #66
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Gay pride parades are not exclusionary of straights, and I'd wager more watchers in many cities are straight rather than gay.
Only for the lesbian floats.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 1, 2002, 16:05   #67
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Would you really want to see thousands of scantily-clad straight men marching down 5th Avenue?
What's wrong with that?
I'd also love to see scantily-clad straight women marching down 5th Ave.

Quote:
That's because the gays are all participating or hung over.

Quote:
Besides, isn't the straight parade the St. Patrick's Day one?
Not enough nekkidness.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:05   #68
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Wrong on what points exactly?
They say that Coke will not dissolve teeth, though people on this BB have said they've done experiments where it did dissolve. One of my friends did the same thing. Another friend was told by his dentist to stop drinking so much cola because he was dissolving the enamel off of his teeth.

The other point Snopes was wrong about was Nancy Oden. Oden was the woman who was seriously hasseled by airport security. She continues to stand by her story, but Snopes reports it as false.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 1, 2002, 16:06   #69
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:

Oh. Guess that's something to be proud of after all.
Is it though? Its kind of like being proud of not being a serial killing cannibal.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:06   #70
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Coke does do a number on teeth. I speak from experience. My dentist yells at me every time, and I've got to use this Oromin rinse thing nightly to ensure my teeth are calcified.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:07   #71
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:29
This article seemed fitting.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old July 1, 2002, 16:09   #72
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

It's funny because it's true.

Also listen to this: http://www.ranting-gryphon.com/Rants...-gay_pride.mp3
Old July 1, 2002, 16:11   #73
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
This article seemed fitting.
It has a good point. How can gays who act like perverts at these parades expect to be taken seriously? They just make things worse.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:11   #74
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
The other point Snopes was wrong about was Nancy Oden. Oden was the woman who was seriously hasseled by airport security. She continues to stand by her story, but Snopes reports it as false.
How is the fact that Oden stands by her story evidence that Snopes is false in this instance?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old July 1, 2002, 16:16   #75
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
It has a good point. How can gays who act like perverts at these parades expect to be taken seriously? They just make things worse.
Most marchers in the parade don't act like perverts, though. The media will always show the most shocking images, but those are a small minority of the participants.

A few are outrageous, yes. But there will always be people in any segment of society who do outrageous things. They're attention-seekers, I suppose. Is it all that different from seeing those shirtless guys painting their bodies at sports games?
Old July 1, 2002, 16:18   #76
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

If those shirtless guys painted their bodies with pictures of genitalia and had a riding crop instead of a foam finger (which also could be construed as gay, hmm), then no, it's not any different.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:23   #77
Boris Godunov
Emperor

The Foam Finger is a little suspect...
Old July 1, 2002, 16:23   #78
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:

Most marchers in the parade don't act like perverts, though. The media will always show the most shocking images, but those are a small minority of the participants.
True, but they probably spoil things for other gays (in that they promote a stereotype) to an extent.
Quote:
A few are outrageous, yes. But there will always be people in any segment of society who do outrageous things. They're attention-seekers, I suppose. Is it all that different from seeing those shirtless guys painting their bodies at sports games?
Pretty different IMO. Also, you dont see such hedonism in other parades like St Paddys.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:28   #79
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
True, but they probably spoil things for other gays (in that they promote a stereotype) to an extent.
I don't think so. If people stereotype the whole based on a small minority, isn't that the fault of the stereotypers?

How could run-of-the-mill, boring gays like myself say to the more extreme ones "You can't march, you'll make us look bad?"

Many of the radicals do it just to be radical. They actually resent acceptance, in a way, as they see it as depriving them of their specialness. So they're only way to be special is to be outrageous.

Quote:
Pretty different IMO. Also, you dont see such hedonism in other parades like St Paddys.
No, just drunken brawls and discrimination. Which would you rather have?
Old July 1, 2002, 16:28   #80
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Quote:
Would you think that a good excuse for other groups? Suppose a pro-life march of a hundered thousand or so soccer moms was trailed by a hundered "god hates fags" fanatics - you really wouldn't think the majority were morons to allow that lunatic fringe to go with them?
Quote:
You need to ask? Really?

I'm not too happy discussing this with you anyway. Too large a potential someone for getting offended and all. I'm personally firmly in the I-don't-give-a-sh!t-as-long-as-I-don't-have-to-watch camp about what people do for sexual entertainment, but I've found most gay parades I ever saw disgraceful. Grown up people behaving like a bunch of perverted loony bin clients on a day the warden's away isn't all too conductive for that respect and acceptance the whole thing is supposedly about.

I'm suggesting this particular tactic has outlived it's usefullness.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:31   #81
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
How is the fact that Oden stands by her story evidence that Snopes is false in this instance?
Because at best all they can say is that it is undetermined. It's her word (which is quite highly regarded by her local paper) versus the company. Both have a stake in saying the other is wrong, therefore you can't say for sure that one side or the other is false. Snopes is taking sides in this case, rather than being objective. That makes them wrong.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:34   #82
chequita guevara
Emperor

I don't understand why gays should be required to act like straights want them to act? If it were up to the nay sayers, there wouldn't be any gay people, and only married folks could have sex in the missionary position and then only to have children. Thanks be to the gays for reminding us that sex is about having fun, being silly, and play.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:37   #83
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
I don't understand why gays should be required to act like straights want them to act? If it were up to the nay sayers, there wouldn't be any gay people, and only married folks could have sex in the missionary position and then only to have children. Thanks be to the gays for reminding us that sex is about having fun, being silly, and play.
It's not about acting like how straights want them to act, it's about acting normally. It's not "straight" to not be flaunting around in weird leather/lingerie in the streets, so it's not "acting how straights want them to", it's acting like everyone wants them to.

People should check their sexuality at the door, not dress up in leather and whips and parade it around in front of everyone.

It's that reason why there's such a bad stereotype for gays. It's embarassing. The extremely vocal minority is tarnishing the image of the silent majority, and the media & onlookers wouldn't know the difference.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:39   #84
chequita guevara
Emperor

I like leather and whips. I think more people should dress that way.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:41   #85
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Would you think that a good excuse for other groups? Suppose a pro-life march of a hundered thousand or so soccer moms was trailed by a hundered "god hates fags" fanatics - you really wouldn't think the majority were morons to allow that lunatic fringe to go with them?
Well, considering "God Hates Fags" and being pro-life don't have anything to do with each other, I think it's a poor analogy. But I wouldn't stereotype all prolifers as being horrifically awful people because of the actions of a few of them.

Quote:
I'm not too happy discussing this with you anyway.
So don't. Nobody made ya come to this thread.

Quote:
I-don't-give-a-sh!t-as-long-as-I-don't-have-to-watch camp about what people do for sexual entertainment, but I've found most gay parades I ever saw disgraceful.
If you don't give a **** and don't want to watch, why did you?

Quote:
Grown up people behaving like a bunch of perverted loony bin clients on a day the warden's away isn't all too conductive for that respect and acceptance the whole thing is supposedly about.
Were you disgusted by the floats raising AIDS awareness, or the people who were marching for civil rights initiatives, or for fairness in marriage laws, or for decrying abuse and violence? No, you just focus on the few who upset you. You're looking to be offended.

I don't care if some flaming queen wants to rollerskate down 5th avenue in bikini briefs and headress. I'd rather see that than someone beating the snot out of someone. Wouldn't you?
Old July 1, 2002, 16:41   #86
moomin
King

Quote:
I like leather and whips.
Do you now, commie?
Old July 1, 2002, 16:45   #87
chequita guevara
Emperor

Yes I do. Just wish I looked good in them, instead of like a sausage.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:51   #88
moomin
King

Hey, I bet North Korea can cure that real quick...

No, man, I understand where you're from. I happen to think kink's nice too - in private. But people doing it in my face are forcing me to participate in a sex act I didn't ask to be involved in, a thing I don't appreciate as much now as I did at the age of fifteen.

And now, thanks for the inspiration. I'm off to do a graph plotting political orientation/sexual pathology. Sweet!
Old July 2, 2002, 12:46   #89
MrFun
Emperor

Gay Pride is important as long as homosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals, and lesbians are a minority group suffering discrimination.

I have not traveled to any city for Gay Pride this year, but there will be a smaller pride event in the local Quad Cities area, where I live.

And for those who find Gay Pride parades offensive, as Boris pointed out, those people are only LOOKING to be offended by only acknowledging the radical floats and marchers, and ignoring the other parts of the parade.

It's like saying that you hate eating spinach, but then you continue to eat spinach, and then you continue saying that you hate spinach.
Or, that you bang your head against a wall, complain that it hurts, and yet, you continue banging your head against a wall.
Old July 2, 2002, 12:57   #90
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:

I don't think so. If people stereotype the whole based on a small minority, isn't that the fault of the stereotypers?
Partly, yes.
Quote:
How could run-of-the-mill, boring gays like myself say to the more extreme ones "You can't march, you'll make us look bad?"
They couldnt, but I still think the radical ones are doing more harm than good.
Quote:
Many of the radicals do it just to be radical. They actually resent acceptance, in a way, as they see it as depriving them of their specialness. So they're only way to be special is to be outrageous.
Pretty childish IMO.

Quote:
No, just drunken brawls and discrimination. Which would you rather have?
I didnt see any drunken brawls at the St Paddys parade, whos stereotyping now Boris?

By discrimination I assume you are talking about the fact that St Patrick's Cathedral who organise and mostly pay for the parade wont allow a gay float. I dont have a problem with this. Its their parade, so why shouldnt they have the right to say who gets to march and who doesnt? I doubt the gay pride parade would allow a gay nazi float.