Old July 2, 2002, 13:52   #91
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Oh gay people are so cool. They can waddle/trot down main street with big banners proclaiming how queer they are while throwing candy to the 12 onlookers cheering them on. I might go to a parade someday just to watch it.
Old July 2, 2002, 16:14   #92
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 19:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Parades are great fun, especially Gay Pride in San Fran.

Anybody who thinks that outrageous costumes degrade serious issues in human rights must feel that Halloween is about sacrificing children to occult gods. Relax! Stick your penis out, it is supposed to be whimsical.
Old July 2, 2002, 16:29   #93
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 22:29
Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Oh gay people are so cool. They can waddle/trot down main street with big banners proclaiming how queer they are while throwing candy to the 12 onlookers cheering them on. I might go to a parade someday just to watch it.
Only 12 onlookers?? Yeah, right.

The two times I have been to Chicago for Gay Pride, I figured the participants that includes the onlookers, numbered around 300,000 people of all sexual orientations.

And for those who are the mature participants in Gay Pride, it's not about being "cool." It's about positive affirmation of a part of their identity to combat the negative pervasiveness of homophobia in our society.
Old July 2, 2002, 16:32   #94
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:29
The estimate for viewers at the NYC parade usually runs around 400,000.

Sten: I've never seen anyone sticking out their penis at a parade. The worst incident I saw was a topless woman who was obviously on something (and not an official participant in the parade) march into the street and flash her vagina at the crowd. The cops got her out of there pretty quick.
Old July 2, 2002, 16:54   #95
faded glory
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Only 12 onlookers?? Yeah, right.

The two times I have been to Chicago for Gay Pride, I figured the participants that includes the onlookers, numbered around 300,000 people of all sexual orientations.

And for those who are the mature participants in Gay Pride, it's not about being "cool." It's about positive affirmation of a part of their identity to combat the negative pervasiveness of homophobia in our society.

Ahh...since we are completely unfamiliar with Sarcasm. I shall retract my statement above
Old July 2, 2002, 17:56   #96
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Actually, I think that everyone should attend/see at least one gay pride parade...it's alot of fun for both homosexuals, heterosexuals, and bisexuals alike.
Old July 2, 2002, 18:10   #97
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 22:29
Quote:

Ahh...since we are completely unfamiliar with Sarcasm. I shall retract my statement above

Sooooo sorry I was mistaken, Faded.

But you did not use any kind of smilie to indicate sarcasm -- like a winking smilie.
Old July 2, 2002, 18:39   #98
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:29
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
In Toronto, there's a law saying that anyone, of any gender, can go topless in public. So the Parade here is traditionally started off with dozens of topless, breast baring lesbians dressed in leather and riding motorcycles. With two to a bike, the ways they hold on during the turns was..... a sight.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old July 2, 2002, 20:23   #99
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Yes, "Dykes on Bikes" also led off the San Francisco Parade...I guess it's a tradition...
Old July 2, 2002, 20:38   #100
Boris Godunov
Emperor

NYC as well, always the Dykes first. Only a few go topless though (and they tend to be the ones who most shouldn't! )
Old July 2, 2002, 20:46   #101
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I don't like gay pride day.

How about: Whatever your sexual orientation is, it is OK day?
Old July 2, 2002, 23:50   #102
faded glory
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Sooooo sorry I was mistaken, Faded.

But you did not use any kind of smilie to indicate sarcasm -- like a winking smilie.
hmm I thought I was getting my point across when I stated "12 people" were cheering the gay pride parade.

Serouisly, I would never go to a gay pride parade. Im not gay. I dont want some 30 year gay guy to come rub my back while im watching the parade or eating a hot dog and ask if im seeing anybody.... then I tell him im not gay, he says im still in the closet.

Now time to go find that leperchaun who likes to dance!
Old July 3, 2002, 00:25   #103
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I don't like gay pride day.

How about: Whatever your sexual orientation is, it is OK day?
I don't like 'days' period.

Anyone that feels their sexual or political orientation is their defining characteristic needs to go out and get a life. Or stay in and get a life - whatever works.

Why can't they have rallys? Gay pride 'sitting about in the park's. Why do they have to march?

Marches may work for the people involved but for everyone else they're hellish. There are so many that are 'gay and proud' these days. The march itself blocks the road for several blocks in every direction.

I remember about... a month or so ago I was trying to run for the train when I saw a commotion ahead. What was it, I wondered when moving closer. A big float goes by with guys on top dancing around in sailor suits.

Ah....

I considered waiting around for it to pass but then took a look at the length of the thing. We were talking about it stretching for three blocks both ways. At the speed they were going it would have taken at least five minutes for the whole bunch of them to march by so I thought 'screw this' and cut across it, ducking hastily to avoid being decapitated by a big banner proclaiming its holders were 'Out of the closet and loving it'
Old July 8, 2002, 11:41   #104
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
I was hoping for some kind of answer to my last post Boris...
Old July 8, 2002, 11:51   #105
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Sorry Cali, the thread got buried a while ago. What was your question?
Old July 8, 2002, 11:55   #106
DarthVeda
Emperor

You know if someone were to suggest a Straight Pride week or actually do it, it would be consider a major slur against Homosexuals everywhere. Why is that?
Old July 8, 2002, 12:00   #107
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Yeah, get ye homos back in the closet where you belong, eh?
Old July 8, 2002, 12:41   #108
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Who would consider it a major slur against homosexuals? You would? I would? Boris would? I don't think so... hands up all those who'd be offended by straight pride!
Old July 8, 2002, 12:54   #109
Caligastia
Emperor

Boris-
I responded to a few things you said last week, my post is about 10 or 15 back from this one.
Old July 8, 2002, 13:05   #110
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Here is the last debate between Boris and Caligastia...

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov:
I don't think so. If people stereotype the whole based on a small minority, isn't that the fault of the stereotypers?
Response by Caligastia:
Partly, yes.
Quote:
Posted by Boris Godunov:

How could run-of-the-mill, boring gays like myself say to the more extreme ones "You can't march, you'll make us look bad?"
Response by Caligastia:
They couldnt, but I still think the radical ones are doing more harm than good.

Quote:
Posted by Boris Godunov:

Many of the radicals do it just to be radical. They actually resent acceptance, in a way, as they see it as depriving them of their specialness. So they're only way to be special is to be outrageous.
Response by Caligastia:
Pretty childish IMO.

Quote:
Posted by Boris Godunov:

No, just drunken brawls and discrimination. Which would you rather have?
Response by Caligastia:
I didnt see any drunken brawls at the St Paddys parade, whos stereotyping now Boris?

By discrimination I assume you are talking about the fact that St Patrick's Cathedral who organise and mostly pay for the parade wont allow a gay float. I dont have a problem with this. Its their parade, so why shouldnt they have the right to say who gets to march and who doesnt? I doubt the gay pride parade would allow a gay nazi float.
Old July 8, 2002, 13:26   #111
Caligastia
Emperor

Thanks Wittlich
Old July 8, 2002, 14:22   #112
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Response by Caligastia:
Partly, yes.
Why partly? How on earth is a group that is stereotyped responsible for the negative stereotype, when we've all acknowledged that stereotype is not true for the majority?

Quote:
They couldnt, but I still think the radical ones are doing more harm than good.
I think they're just being the way they want to be. I don't see any harm in that, although I have no desire to ever be that way.

Quote:
Response by Caligastia:
Pretty childish IMO.
Yeah, I'd agree. I did say it was kinda sad, actually. Some people spend their whole lives on the fringe and can't seem to accept being accepted...

Quote:
Response by Caligastia:
I didnt see any drunken brawls at the St Paddys parade, whos stereotyping now Boris?
Every year I've seen at least one after the parade, in some pub somewhere. Not in the parade, no.

Quote:
By discrimination I assume you are talking about the fact that St Patrick's Cathedral who organise and mostly pay for the parade wont allow a gay float. I dont have a problem with this.
I don't like it, as it's hypocrisy on the part of Catholic leadership, considering the huge percentage of gay Catholic priests and bishops. But I'm not advocating them being forced to change their rule, just saying I find it discriminatory. It is also in direct conflict with the current Catholic teaching that homosexuals are good, fine people and that it is the sin that is the problem. The parade excludes based on who they are, not what they do.

Quote:
Its their parade, so why shouldnt they have the right to say who gets to march and who doesnt?
Sure, but don't expect me to not call them on the hypocrisy of it. It's still discriminatory, whereas the Gay Pride parade doesn't discriminate against people because of who they are.

Quote:
I doubt the gay pride parade would allow a gay nazi float.
Red Herring. As I said, the Catholic church officially teaches that gay people are fine, it's gay acts it doesn't like. Yet by not allowing gays to march, the church is condemning who they are. It's a slap in the face to gay Catholics everywhere.

Gay Nazis would be a different matter, as being a Nazi entails belief. No one is born a Nazi, and the exclusion would be of the ideas, not the people. And since the gay community has, by and large, repudiated the tenets of Nazism, exclusion wouldn't be akin to the two-faced hypocrisy of the St. Patrick's Day Parade at all.
Old July 8, 2002, 14:25   #113
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 21:29
The Gay Hitler on SNL is pretty funny.
Old July 8, 2002, 14:29   #114
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
The Gay Hitler on SNL is pretty funny.
Haven't seen SNL in ages, what's this?
Old July 8, 2002, 14:35   #115
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 21:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Haven't seen SNL in ages, what's this?
It's just a little character Chris Kattan plays occasionally on Weekend Update.

He's dressed up as a Gay Speedskating Hitler. He's got the swastika patch on his arm, the mustache and everything. Looks actually quite a bit like Hitler. But he also has a pinkish scarf which he tosses about "elegantly" and enters/leaves the stage by mock speedskating.

He joined in on a rendition of some Neil Diamond song with Will Ferrel (playing as Neil Diamond) and Neil Diamond himself on the season finale...
Old July 8, 2002, 14:36   #116
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Old July 8, 2002, 14:41   #117
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
I doubt the gay pride parade would allow a gay nazi float.
Nazis killed gay people for being gay. I think Gays and Lesbians have a right to deny Nazis (even Gay Nazis) the right to be in their events.

When did Gays as such kill Catholics? Or have Catholics ever participated in the killing of Gays?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 8, 2002, 14:45   #118
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Or have Catholics ever participated in the killing of Gays?
Not that I know of, at least not in a organized, systemic manner. Although some could argue about Catholic heirarchy complicity in the Holocaust, it certainly wasn't on a official level.
Old July 8, 2002, 15:13   #119
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Why partly? How on earth is a group that is stereotyped responsible for the negative stereotype, when we've all acknowledged that stereotype is not true for the majority?
I say partly because stereotypes dont come from nowhere. Of course gays as a group are not responsible for it, but there are plenty of them that fit the stereotype, and a few who intentionally perpetuate it.

Quote:
I think they're just being the way they want to be. I don't see any harm in that, although I have no desire to ever be that way.
I dont see any real harm in it, I have met plenty of flamers who just are that way and there is nothing they can do about it. The few who are intentionally over-flamboyant may be soiling the public image of gays somewhat though.

Quote:
Every year I've seen at least one after the parade, in some pub somewhere. Not in the parade, no.
Is this the only time you see drunken brawls in NYC? Ive seen plenty on other occasions - like new years.

Quote:
I don't like it, as it's hypocrisy on the part of Catholic leadership, considering the huge percentage of gay Catholic priests and bishops. But I'm not advocating them being forced to change their rule, just saying I find it discriminatory. It is also in direct conflict with the current Catholic teaching that homosexuals are good, fine people and that it is the sin that is the problem. The parade excludes based on who they are, not what they do.
Well its fine for you to disagree, I just support their right to do what they want with their parade.

Quote:
Sure, but don't expect me to not call them on the hypocrisy of it. It's still discriminatory, whereas the Gay Pride parade doesn't discriminate against people because of who they are.
Its obviously hypocritical then, but if they want to be hypocrites with their parade - so be it. They only hurt themselves.

Quote:
Gay Nazis would be a different matter, as being a Nazi entails belief. No one is born a Nazi, and the exclusion would be of the ideas, not the people. And since the gay community has, by and large, repudiated the tenets of Nazism, exclusion wouldn't be akin to the two-faced hypocrisy of the St. Patrick's Day Parade at all.
Well do you think a straight pride float in the gay parade wouldnt have any opposition?
Old July 8, 2002, 15:19   #120
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Plenty of straights march in the parade already, whether it be politicians pandering for votes or those wonderful friends, moms and dads of PFLAG. There is no exclusion of heterosexuals. I would hesitate to say yes to the float simply because its theme, "straight pride," isn't the theme of the parade, which is "gay pride." It would be rather off-topic.

But, if it featured buff, shirtless straight guys dancing it up and having fun, I can't say I'd complain...