Old July 8, 2002, 15:28   #121
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Plenty of straights march in the parade already, whether it be politicians pandering for votes or those wonderful friends, moms and dads of PFLAG. There is no exclusion of heterosexuals. I would hesitate to say yes to the float simply because its theme, "straight pride," isn't the theme of the parade, which is "gay pride." It would be rather off-topic.
Well isnt it rather off-topic to have a gay float in an irish parade? Just as straights are not excluded from the gay parade, gays are not excluded from the irish parade. They are just not allowed to have a float or march under the gay banner. Frankly I cant understand why they would even want to.
Quote:
But, if it featured buff, shirtless straight guys dancing it up and having fun, I can't say I'd complain...
Old July 8, 2002, 15:37   #122
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
Well isnt it rather off-topic to have a gay float in an irish parade? Just as straights are not excluded from the gay parade, gays are not excluded from the irish parade. They are just not allowed to have a float or march under the gay banner. Frankly I cant understand why they would even want to.
Because they are gay and Irish and proud of being both, I suppose. I'm not Irish (ok, a little, but not enough to count), so I wouldn't want to. But I don't see it as being any different from any of the other various subgroups in the Parade. It's not just a monolithic march of Irish people, now, is it? They're Irish and they're gay...it happens!

I think it is different from the gay parade, in that everything there has something to do with being gay/bisexual/transgender. Being straight doesn't have anything to do with those things.

Not that there's anything wrong with it...
Old July 8, 2002, 15:58   #123
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:

Because they are gay and Irish and proud of being both, I suppose. I'm not Irish (ok, a little, but not enough to count), so I wouldn't want to. But I don't see it as being any different from any of the other various subgroups in the Parade. It's not just a monolithic march of Irish people, now, is it? They're Irish and they're gay...it happens!

I think it is different from the gay parade, in that everything there has something to do with being gay/bisexual/transgender. Being straight doesn't have anything to do with those things.
What does being gay have to do with being irish? If they want a gay irish float so bad then why dont they have one in the gay parade? Or do they?
Old July 8, 2002, 16:01   #124
Boris Godunov
Emperor

They do. But being both in they gay and Irish communities, they would like acceptance in both, which makes it relevant.

And one can be both gay and Irish, which is the point.

One can't be both gay and straight, as they are contradictory...
Old July 8, 2002, 16:02   #125
Boris Godunov
Emperor

What does being a firefighter have to do with being Irish? Yet there is the Irish firefighters in the parade...
Old July 8, 2002, 16:21   #126
Luk
PtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 04:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
God!!!!

I read all those posts and I can't belive that Western Culture is in so weak condition, and that the idea of conservatism is so far from its normal meaning.

To a normal conservative guy gays and homosexualism is a disease and it is abnormal thing.

It doesn't mean that I hate them, it means that Im very concerned about them and express a condolence because of their disease.

And Im against all gays parade because it is a try to equalize the heterosexuals with homosexuals which is of course bullshit

Im very pleased that in Poland Gays are afraid to do such a parade, and that I dont have to look on disgusting picture of two men holding hands each other. If someone in Poland would do such a thing, after few minutes would be told to stop such a disgusting for eyes things
Old July 8, 2002, 16:26   #127
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
What does being a firefighter have to do with being Irish? Yet there is the Irish firefighters in the parade...
But there are many, many irish who are firefighters and police officers. Is there as great a proportion of irish in the gay community?
Old July 8, 2002, 16:30   #128
Boris Godunov
Emperor

I'd say about 5-7% of Irish people are gay...

Does it matter if it's less than firemen?

And hey everyone...it looks like the Nazis are still in Poland after all!
Old July 8, 2002, 16:48   #129
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
I'd say about 5-7% of Irish people are gay...

Does it matter if it's less than firemen?
My point is that the reason you have firemen in the St Paddy's parade is because its such a significant part of the irish community. Seeing as gays are a much smaller portion of the irish community there seems to be less reason for them to be in the parade.

Why do they want to be in a parade where they are not wanted anyway? Its seems to me they are more interested in agitating than celebrating. Why else would you try to force yourself onto people who dont want you?
Old July 8, 2002, 16:56   #130
Boris Godunov
Emperor

There are other, much smaller groups that march in the parade, Cali. I'd wager that there wasn't any more than 5-7% of Irish people who were firefighters.

They want to march because they are Irish. They want to celebrate their Irishness. There maybe some agitators who are there to make an issue, but I think most are just gay Irish folks who want to march.
Old July 9, 2002, 12:10   #131
mindseye
King

Local Time: 11:29
I hate to interrupt the shellacking you're taking, Cali, but I can't resist tossing in a few comments:

Quote:
Pretty childish IMO.

I didn't see any drunken brawls at the St Paddys parade, whos stereotyping now Boris?
Okay, how about remove all references to St. Patrick's Day Parade and replace with Mardi Gras Parade in New Orleans. Any childishness or embarassing heterosexual stereotypes being reinforced there? Hint: "Show us your tits!"

Quote:
Why do they want to be in a parade where they are not wanted anyway?
I dunno, maybe they feel they are as good as any other Irish folk?

Actually, that question metaphorically encapsulates the motivation behind the entire gay rights movement.
Old July 9, 2002, 12:13   #132
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Hmm, good points, mindseye...

"Why do they want to be in a [society] where they are not wanted, anyway?"

Old July 9, 2002, 12:23   #133
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 22:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Luk
God!!!!

I read all those posts and I can't belive that Western Culture is in so weak condition, and that the idea of conservatism is so far from its normal meaning.

To a normal conservative guy gays and homosexualism is a disease and it is abnormal thing.

It doesn't mean that I hate them, it means that Im very concerned about them and express a condolence because of their disease.

And Im against all gays parade because it is a try to equalize the heterosexuals with homosexuals which is of course bullshit

Im very pleased that in Poland Gays are afraid to do such a parade, and that I dont have to look on disgusting picture of two men holding hands each other. If someone in Poland would do such a thing, after few minutes would be told to stop such a disgusting for eyes things
Just wait, Luk. In a few years they'll force their beliefs on Poland, too. If you say anything that is anti-gay you will be labeled a homophobe and a closet homo. After all, freedom of opinion and expression only apply if you are mouthing whatever current liberal belief is en vouge. Say or believe anything else and you will be attacked. Read the posts responding to this. You'll see. Anyone who believes liberals and leftists are tolerant has their head up their ass. Flame away, people.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old July 9, 2002, 12:32   #134
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nationalist
Just wait, Luk. In a few years they'll force their beliefs on Poland, too. If you say anything that is anti-gay you will be labeled a homophobe and a closet homo. After all, freedom of opinion and expression only apply if you are mouthing whatever current liberal belief is en vouge. Say or believe anything else and you will be attacked. Read the posts responding to this. You'll see. Anyone who believes liberals and leftists are tolerant has their head up their ass. Flame away, people.

Why would you think such inane and unimaginative comments are deserving of flames?
Old July 9, 2002, 14:06   #135
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:29
Well I guess Mardi Gras is straight Pride day.

Im proud to be straight! Damn proud I tell ya! Thats somthing to be proud of!

Now show me YOUR tits baby!
Old July 9, 2002, 14:12   #136
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:29
". If someone in Poland would do such a thing, after few minutes would be told to stop such a disgusting for eyes things "

Well I find it totally disgusting too. But thats my prefrence. And I have right to look away from what I view as perverted. But not a right to tell them they cant.

To each his own I guess. I make out in public sometimes, If somebody told me they didnt like it. I'd tell em' get lost. They could look away.
Old July 9, 2002, 14:15   #137
Boris Godunov
Emperor

It's funny (read: sad, tragic) how some people think it's okay to oppress people--oft times violently--just because they want to hold hands with someone in public...
Old July 9, 2002, 14:46   #138
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Well I guess Mardi Gras is straight Pride day.
Hardly. Mardi Gras, Carnival, Halloween (in Key West) are all sexual pride days. Yes, there are lotsa guys screaming, "SHOW US YOUR TITS!" And there are lots of women showing them. But on those floats, those aren't woman in those flamboyant, feathered and sequinned outfits. Those holidays are all about gettin' in on, and it don't matter who you like gettin' it on with.

Just remember, every day is straight pride day.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 9, 2002, 14:47   #139
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Well I find it totally disgusting too. But thats my prefrence. And I have right to look away from what I view as perverted. But not a right to tell them they cant.

To each his own I guess. I make out in public sometimes, If somebody told me they didnt like it. I'd tell em' get lost. They could look away.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 10, 2002, 09:14   #140
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov They want to march because they are Irish. They want to celebrate their Irishness. There maybe some agitators who are there to make an issue, but I think most are just gay Irish folks who want to march.
I dont think anyone stops them marching because they are gay, they just dont want them to have big gay floats. I can see both sides, but in the end I have to support the right of the parade organisers to choose who they want to be in it.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:21   #141
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mindseye
I hate to interrupt the shellacking you're taking, Cali, but I can't resist tossing in a few comments:
shellacking? You are a fool. Boris and I are having a perfectly civil discussion. Nobody is taking a "shellacking".

Quote:
Okay, how about remove all references to St. Patrick's Day Parade and replace with Mardi Gras Parade in New Orleans. Any childishness or embarassing heterosexual stereotypes being reinforced there? Hint: "Show us your tits!"
Obviously yes, but heteros are not a minority trying to gain acceptance by a majority.

Quote:
I dunno, maybe they feel they are as good as any other Irish folk?
If the people who organise the parade dont want a big gay float in it I think thats fair enough. Its their parade.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:22   #142
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
I dont think anyone stops them marching because they are gay, they just dont want them to have big gay floats. I can see both sides, but in the end I have to support the right of the parade organisers to choose who they want to be in it.
Nope, all they want is a banner and to march behind it. That's all they've asked for, and it was denied.

As I said, the parade people can have who they want. But I can still say it stinks of hypocrisy and hate. And I have no problem with activists pointing that out year after year.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:23   #143
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Cali: read my lips: No big gay float wanted. Just a normal-sized gay banner. No naked people on it, even.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:23   #144
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov "Why do they want to be in a [society] where they are not wanted, anyway?"
A parade and a society are two different things arent they?
Old July 10, 2002, 09:25   #145
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
A parade and a society are two different things arent they?
It's a general point about acceptance, and you can't totally disentangle the activities of a society (such as parades) from society itself. What gould would it be to have a lip service "oh sure, you're part of society," and then still be excluded from things based on who one is, not what one does?
Old July 10, 2002, 09:26   #146
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:

Nope, all they want is a banner and to march behind it. That's all they've asked for, and it was denied.

As I said, the parade people can have who they want. But I can still say it stinks of hypocrisy and hate. And I have no problem with activists pointing that out year after year.
I agree that its hypocritical given the catholic church's position on homosexuality, but I still think they have a right to choose who they want to be in a parade.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:27   #147
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Cali: read my lips: No big gay float wanted. Just a normal-sized gay banner. No naked people on it, even.
Personally I am not opposed to that, but should the parade organisers have the right to say who marches and who doesnt? I say they do.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:29   #148
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:

It's a general point about acceptance, and you can't totally disentangle the activities of a society (such as parades) from society itself. What gould would it be to have a lip service "oh sure, you're part of society," and then still be excluded from things based on who one is, not what one does?
The people who say "oh sure, you're a part of society" are not necessarily the same ones who exclude them from the parade are they?
Old July 10, 2002, 09:56   #149
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

Personally I am not opposed to that, but should the parade organisers have the right to say who marches and who doesnt? I say they do.
And haven't I said the same thing several times? I'm getting dizzy from the circles...

Quote:
The people who say "oh sure, you're a part of society" are not necessarily the same ones who exclude them from the parade are they?
You'd be surprised.
Old July 10, 2002, 09:59   #150
Caligastia
Emperor

Boris-
Well lets wrap this up by saying that we agree, and we are both incredibly intelligent.