Old July 1, 2002, 14:45   #61
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 21:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Desperation to attain rationality for one's religious beliefs is an ugly thing...
What are you talking about?
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 1, 2002, 14:53   #62
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

I'm not seeing Asher's posts, BTW. He's on my Ignore List.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 1, 2002, 14:53   #63
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

That would explain a great many things.
Keep up the great work, you're a marvelous Christian. An example for us all.
Old July 1, 2002, 14:58   #64
CygnusZ
Warlord

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
He's saying that to you the more important thing is to maintain a belief in God rather than to objectively study the subject matter.

Belief before Understanding. Faith and severe psychological attachment to this idea would make an individual incapable of letting go to a fixated idea.
Old July 1, 2002, 14:58   #65
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud9
I'm not seeing Asher's posts, BTW. He's on my Ignore List.
Well then.

Quote:
More research for Cloud9:

http://skepdic.com/noahsark.html
http://www.langston.com/Fun_People/1993/1993ALN.html

Quote:
quote:

The man who said he discovered the snow-covered location of Noah's Ark
high on Mt. Ararat in Turkey, and who displayed what he claimed to be
an ancient piece of wood from inside the ark as proof on a CBS special
earlier this year, now says it was a hoax.
George Jammal, an out-of-work Israeli actor living in North Long
Beach, admitted in an interview this week that he made up the story to
expose those who produce and broadcast what he considers to be poorly
researched religious propaganda.
And as he responded to your little Mt Ararat thing:

Quote:
So suddenly there's two sites now?

There's still only one site in question.

This is nothing but pure semantics. You seem to think that unless the boat is at the summit of the mountain it's not on the mountain?

The site is 12 miles from the summit, according to your site, and still on the mountain.
I suggest taking him off ignore. He's providing excellent points that would show you how silly you're being. But then again, you don't want to see that, so I guess you won't...
Old July 1, 2002, 15:00   #66
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by CygnusZ
He's saying that to you the more important thing is to maintain a belief in God rather than to objectively study the subject matter.

Belief before Understanding. Faith and severe psychological attachment to this idea would make an individual incapable of letting go to a fixated idea.
Faith is the most important aspect of being a Christian.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:02   #67
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Faith is the most important aspect of being a Christian.
Faith is good, not to the point where it blinds you from the obvious facts before you though. At that point it's scary, and cultist.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:03   #68
CygnusZ
Warlord

Oh, I think both of you have an overabundence of faith.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:05   #69
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I'm not even an atheist, if you're talking to me.

I'm just hard to impress and cynical to the core.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:06   #70
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
I suggest taking him off ignore. He's providing excellent points that would show you how silly you're being. But then again, you don't want to see that, so I guess you won't...
Ming wanted us to stop arguing, and it seemed we couldn't do anything but argue, so that's why I put him on there.

12 miles from the summit? Do you realize that that is 63,360 feet? Yet the summit is only 16946 feet. Definitely not on Mt. Ararat.

People have been looking for the ark ON Mt. Ararat for a long time now, but have found nothing and have since given up.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:08   #71
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
12 miles from the summit? Do you realize that that is 63,360 feet? Yet the summit is only 16946 feet. Definitely not on Mt. Ararat.
Do you have any kind of common sense at all?

You realize that mountains are not poles sticking in the air, right...

Quote:
People have been looking for the ark ON Mt. Ararat for a long time now, but have found nothing and have since given up.
Can someone please define at which point the "Ararat Mountain" ends, and at which point it becomes "Ararat Mountains"
Old July 1, 2002, 15:14   #72
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Did you think about this before you posted it? The 12 miles from the summit isn't vertical, it's lateral. The summit is 17,000 ft above see level, but that's a vertical distance. As Asher pointed out (see?), Mt. Ararat isn't a pole. Mountains spread out for many miles in all directions from the summit.

But you're indeed playing symantics, because the site being referenced in the link I posted is indeed the site referred to in the one you posted. And it's a hoax.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:17   #73
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Did you think about this before you posted it? The 12 miles from the summit isn't vertical, it's lateral. The summit is 17,000 ft above see level, but that's a vertical distance. As Asher pointed out (see?), Mt. Ararat isn't a pole. Mountains spread out for many miles in all directions from the summit.

But you're indeed playing symantics, because the site being referenced in the link I posted is indeed the site referred to in the one you posted. And it's a hoax.
A photograph of Mt. Ararat:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtararat.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	18561  
Old July 1, 2002, 15:18   #74
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

As you can see, it covers a huge amount of surface area.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:20   #75
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Have you even done your research on the specifics for Mt. Ararat?
Old July 1, 2002, 15:20   #76
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Looks like you've helped prove my point, Cloud9. 12 miles from the summit is quite feasibly on the mountain, by the look of it.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:23   #77
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Have you even done your research on the specifics for Mt. Ararat?
Have you done it on the debunking of this "discovery" as a hoax? You're swallowing anything to bolster your faith. That's not faith, that's delusion.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:25   #78
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Have you done it on the debunking of this "discovery" as a hoax? You're swallowing anything to bolster your faith. That's ot faith, that's delusion.
That picture could be a view from the south. It could be a view from the north. The mountain may spread out to the east and the west, but not to north and the south.

If you won't do your research, then I will.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:29   #79
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
That would explain a great many things.
Keep up the great work, you're a marvelous Christian. An example for us all.
I wouldn't say that this is about him being a christian at all - it's about him being naive.

And before you say it ( ), no not all christians/religous people are naive, and not all naive people are religous.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 1, 2002, 15:29   #80
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Cloud9, you're the one who is asserting it isn't on the mountain, so it's your research to do.

I don't care if it is or isn't on the mountain, because whichever it is happens to be irrelevant to the link you provided about the Ark. That supposed discovery has been debunked. There isn't another one, that's it.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:51   #81
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
There isn't another one, that's it.
The TV program that I watched showed that there is another site. And guess what? The other site was actually ON Mt. Ararat. I'm betting that this is actually the site you are referring to. To prove it, I'm going to do research into the name of your site and the name of my site to see if their different.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:52   #82
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I love how he dismisses Boris' debunk because he claims it's talking about something else, when it clearly specifically mentions Cloud9's article about the site he's mentioning...
Old July 1, 2002, 16:07   #83
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I love how he dismisses Boris' debunk because he claims it's talking about something else, when it clearly specifically mentions Cloud9's article about the site he's mentioning...
Some children have selective hearing, this one has selective reading...

Old July 1, 2002, 18:01   #84
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 00:31
Isn't it obvious? The Kurdish guerrillas carved it, photographed it and sent it out so that they could kill more archaeologists and call for attention.
Old July 1, 2002, 18:09   #85
Lincoln
King

As a casual observer of this thread it appears to me that the article that Boris posted does not refute the information contained in the web site that cloud9 referred to. There is in fact a reference made to the earlier account and the fake wood etc. on the site cloud9 referred to.
Old July 1, 2002, 20:05   #86
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln
There is in fact a reference made to the earlier account and the fake wood etc. on the site cloud9 referred to.
Where exactly can I find this, Lincoln?
Old July 1, 2002, 20:16   #87
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Here is another picture of Mt. Ararat. As is cleary shown, Mt. Ararat is connected to at least one other mountain in the region:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtararat.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	18595  
Old July 1, 2002, 20:17   #88
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 13:31
If anyone wants to own their very own piece of Noah's Ark just mail me $10 and I'll send you a genuine Noah's Ark splinter.

You'll be the envy of all your religious dingbat friends.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old July 1, 2002, 20:20   #89
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

http://www.wyattnewsletters.com/articles/bythywords.htm

The above concludes that the so called 'hoax' was a lie just to try and throw everybody off. Pathetic!

BTW, did ya'll know that I'm an investigator? I work for the FBI (Firm Believers In Christ)!
Old July 1, 2002, 20:50   #90
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Nothing pleases me more than to show wacko religious nuts interfighting:

http://www.tentmaker.org/WAR/

And here is a devout Christian analyzing your friend Wyatt's claims:

http://www.tentmaker.org/WAR/HasNoahsArkBeenFound1.html
http://www.tentmaker.org/WAR/HasNoahsArkBeenFound2.html

Another Christian geologist:

http://www.tentmaker.org/WAR/BoatShaped.html

Wyatt is a liar, and you've bought his lies hook, line and sinker.

Your FBI must really mean Foolish Believer In anything