Old July 5, 2002, 22:14   #181
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
See what I said? His massive investigation has turned up this response:

It's Noah's Ark just because I want it to be.

Way to go, Encyclopedia Brown!

Old July 5, 2002, 22:16   #182
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:31
This outta be good, I'm waiting for the results of his investigation. I've taken two religious studies courses on the bible. My teacher, theologian Dr. John Richy, specializes in teaching about religious scripture. He outlined the sources of all the bible's stories.
Old July 5, 2002, 22:19   #183
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 21:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
My teacher, theologian Dr. John Richy, specializes in teaching about religious scripture.
If there's any relationship between me and your teacher, then you'd condemn him, too.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 5, 2002, 22:22   #184
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I don't condemn you cloud9, I just know you're wrong. I think more things, but I don't want to get restricted . #1 rule about theologians buddy boy... they are objective and keep their own beliefs out of their teachings.
Old July 7, 2002, 13:20   #185
Lars-E
Warlord

Local Time: 04:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Don't throw your pearls for swine, Cloud9...

Asher is trying to convey himself as a mature modern sceptic. He can't grow a moustache...
Old July 7, 2002, 13:29   #186
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars-E
Asher is trying to convey himself as a mature modern sceptic. He can't grow a moustache...
I'm doing no such thing.
That's my opinion on the matter, if you think I'm "trying to convey myself" to be something else that's your problem.
Old July 7, 2002, 14:00   #187
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I don't condemn you cloud9, I just know you're wrong. I think more things, but I don't want to get restricted . #1 rule about theologians buddy boy... they are objective and keep their own beliefs out of their teachings.
man

you should know

most theologians are just looking for something different

most will pick unbeleif at every point at which they can

they will doubt one part of the bible, and then use that doubt to invalidate another part, and use that invalidation as reason for their inital doubt

they deffinitely are not the experts on the bible

and the legend of Noah is all over the place in mythology, including mythologies that came from peoples who had nothing to do with Sumer

so either 1 primitive people think alike and came up the same story

or 2 there was some sort of flood early in man's history which was catastrophic to him

if it tells you anything about most theologians they will pick 1 (when 2 seems a lot more reasonable to me)

Jon Miller
Old July 7, 2002, 16:13   #188
Xeones
Warlord

"Damn shame we cant get up there. Stupid Kurdish guerilla's killed the last two guys who dared to seek out the ark. "

maybe bush will find time in our current holy war to go in there and smite the heathens.
Old July 7, 2002, 16:18   #189
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Thank you Jon for your good insight.

Now can I add to this?

On the subject of theology, let me challenge you to this: Find me one pastor or minister that hasn't studied it! All pastors study theology in college; it's a standard part of their training. I even have a friend that is in college right now majoring in pastoral ministry. He has taken Theology classes as a part of his degree program.

Just for the record, Webster's New World dictionary defines theology as "the study of religious doctrines and matters of divinity; specif., the study of God and the relations between God, mankind, and the universe."

Isn't it ironic that pastors actually study Theology and still believe in God?
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 7, 2002, 17:20   #190
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Here is another point I want to make.

For those that say religion is harmless you are wrong. According the United States Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are more crimes committed against religious people then non-religious people each year. This suggests that there is a general unhappiness and discontent among the non-religious population; otherwise, why would non-religious people feel that they need to commit crimes? This suggest there is something that is keeping religious people from commiting crimes less frequently than non-religious people. Those that are religious and commit crimes have obviously misinterpreted the scriptures. Isn't it ironic?

Now as far as getting these same statistics on an International level, well, let's just say I can't seem to find a trusted source; anyone that can, please submit a link to it here and be sure quote a trusted government source. Thanks.

Here is my source: Click here, scroll down to page two and read the table under the religion section.

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; July 7, 2002 at 20:14.
Old July 7, 2002, 17:39   #191
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:31
Jon, you forgot possibility three, floods happen everywhere, hence the ubiquity of flood myths.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 7, 2002, 18:05   #192
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
People, don't diss Cloud9, the Flood didhappen, in the year 2765 BC at Mornington Crescent...

Oops, wrong thread...
Old July 7, 2002, 23:53   #193
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 11:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud9
Here is another point I want to make.

According the United States Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are more crimes committed against religious people then non-religious people each year. This suggests that there is a general unhappiness and discontent among the non-religious population; otherwise, why would non-religious people feel that they need to commit crimes?

What are you talking about? I did a quick glance at that link and saw nothing to suggests that more crimes are committed against religious people than non-religious. I saw nothing to suggest that non-religious people are more likely to commit crimes.

According to that link:

72 per cent of hate crimes are done for race or ethnic reasons

14.4 per cent of hate crimes are done for religious reasons

76 per cent of hate crimes are committed by whites, 66 per cent by white males

2 per cent of hate crimes are committed against Christians.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:00   #194
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
According the United States Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are more crimes committed against religious people then non-religious people each year.
Even if this were true, could this possibly be because there are more religious people in the US than non-religious people?
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old July 8, 2002, 00:08   #195
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Can anyone find an International source for this? It should be a government source in order to be trusted. I tried the UN site, but have turned up nothing. Perhaps a more thourogh search will do the trick.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:13   #196
Tingkai
Prince

Are you willing to admit that your previous statements about crime in the US were wrong?
Old July 8, 2002, 00:14   #197
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
Are you willing to admit that your previous statements about crime in the US were wrong?
Not until have trusted information saying that it is.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:17   #198
Tingkai
Prince

So on the one hand you say "It should be a government source in order to be trusted." and then you say that the link you posted cannot be trusted even though it is from the US gov't.

Basically, you have no facts to back up your claim that more crimes are committed against religious people than non-religious people.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:20   #199
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
So on the one hand you say "It should be a government source in order to be trusted." and then you say that the link you posted cannot be trusted even though it is from the US gov't.

Basically, you have no facts to back up your claim that more crimes are committed against religious people than non-religious people.
It IS a trusted source. It's just that it doesn't really say that the majority of crime in America comes from non-religious people; it only says that their are more hate crimes commited against religious people than their are against non-religious people. I tried looking for this, but have turned up nothing.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:24   #200
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

That proves absolutely nothing unless you prove that the majority of Americans aren't religious.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old July 8, 2002, 00:24   #201
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
it only says that their are more hate crimes commited against religious people than their are against non-religious people.
Where does it say that? I didn't see anything in the report about that. Can you provide a quote to back up your statement?
Old July 8, 2002, 00:25   #202
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Where does it say that? I didn't see anything in the report about that. Can you provide a quote to back up your statement?
Look at the numbers. It's on page 2.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:30   #203
Tingkai
Prince

You have misunderstood the stats. There is nothing to indicate that there are more crimes against religious people than non-religious people.

Time to admit that you made a mistake.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:31   #204
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
You have misunderstood the stats. There is nothing to indicate that there are more crimes against religious people than non-religious people.

Time to admit that you made a mistake.
Alright then, prove that I made a mistake.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:34   #205
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Tingkai, could you please quote this post. "Einstein" here put me on the ignore list a while back for asking for crazy things like sources.

Quote:
According the United States Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are more crimes committed against religious people then non-religious people each year. This suggests that there is a general unhappiness and discontent among the non-religious population; otherwise, why would non-religious people feel that they need to commit crimes?
Assuming you have the correct statistics, you're ignoring that:
1. There are more religious people in the US than non-religious people.
2. Religious people certainly committ hate crimes against other religious people.
-Bokonon
Old July 8, 2002, 00:35   #206
Tingkai
Prince

Already done. (edit: meaning that Cloud9's claim about the stats has been shot down.)

Your refusal to admit that you made a mistake, even though it has clearly been shown that you made a mistake, undermines your credibility. You merely demonstrate that you refuse to accept any facts that conflict your world view.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:38   #207
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Already done.

Your refusal to admit that you made a mistake, even though it has clearly been shown that you made a mistake, undermines your credibility. You merely demonstrate that you refuse to accept any facts that conflict your world view.
If you cannot provide proof that I made a mistake, then I can only assume that you have made a mistake.

Ramo is on my Ignore List, btw.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:39   #208
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo
Tingkai, could you please quote this post. "Einstein" here put me on the ignore list a while back for asking for crazy things like sources.

Assuming you have the correct statistics, you're ignoring that:
1. There are more religious people in the US than non-religious people.
2. Religious people certainly committ hate crimes against other religious people.
Sure.
Old July 8, 2002, 00:40   #209
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 13:31
Oh sh*t - he's brought this thread back

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old July 8, 2002, 00:41   #210
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:

If you cannot provide proof that I made a mistake, then I can only assume that you have made a mistake.

Ramo is on my Ignore List, btw.

If Ramo is on your ignore list then why are you mentioning him?

I have shown that you made a mistake. The problem is you refuse to admit it. Isn't there something in your religion about pride being a sin?