Old July 1, 2002, 02:31   #1
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 04:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Laughing out Loud!
I was playing the Chinese in a huge map sharing a continent with the hated japanese . Well, at some point we were at war and I attacked with my tanks. Well what do you know out of the blue come two Samurais and each destroy a tank of mine . Well, my reaction was to laugh out loud as I imagined two funny looking guys hacking away at two 20+ tons of steel!!! I know that this is not a new issue but I never actually had a Samurai with his sword do it. It was just a funny sight .

Last edited by The Pioneer; July 1, 2002 at 06:20.
Old July 1, 2002, 03:20   #2
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 03:31
Please don't use the slang word "Jap" it is considered a word in the same order of offensiveness as "nigger". I don't see anyone here calling Shaka Zulu the hated "nigger"

And what is with the comment "two funny looking guy" hacking at your tank? That's bordering on racial stereotyping. Not all Japanese look a like. Many Japanese actually have strong European features due to its proximity to Siberia and inter-breeding with natives in the Japanese islands who likely migrated from Russia. Some look closer to the Chinese, and others closer to South-East Asians.

Jeeze.
Old July 1, 2002, 03:30   #3
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Re: Laughing out Loud!
Dex, I think Pioneer was referring to the "funny looking guys" as seen on the TV (with all that splendid clothing, shiny swords and such). They look funny standing next to / hacking at a tank, not on their own.
Old July 1, 2002, 06:16   #4
The Pioneer
Prince

Before anybody get's the wrong idea... I was talking only in the game context.

Dexters, thank you for correcting me, I did not mean to offend anybody by using the word "japs" and I already corrected it on the original post.

As for the two funny looking guys, I am by no means implying that all Japanese look alike, again I was talking about two little pieces of computer graphic.

By the way I should note that such a comment has no real life reflection, what I mean is that I am talking in the context of the game.
For example:

I do't think that anybody here seriously would like to nuke anybody for real but a lot do it in the game and talk about it on this board.

Last edited by The Pioneer; July 1, 2002 at 08:43.
Old July 1, 2002, 06:21   #5
fittstim
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by dexters
Please don't use the slang word "Jap" it is considered a word in the same order of offensiveness as "nigger". I don't see anyone here calling Shaka Zulu the hated "nigger"
Umm, while possibly being offensive to some (perhaps many), "Jap" is a simple shortening of the word "Japanese". In another context it also refers to spoiled-rotten rich girls of a particular religious persuasion. However, it has none of the hatred and insult that is associated with the dreded "N-word". Take, for example, the term "Polak". It is actually the Polish word for a male Pole. But to Polish-Americans it has become a sort of insult. Much like certain people are offended to be refered to as a "Jew". But I do agree with you that it's best to avoid using such words in the noble effort to avoid accidental conflict.

The Pioneer is right, though. It's absurd that any ancient error unit can attack and destroy modern armor. I once read someones explanation that a Zulu warrior could sneak up and somehow immobilize the tank (perhaps raming a spear through the drivers eye slot?). Creative? Yes. Possible? Uhh...maybe. Realistic? No. Please explain to me the way a war chariot could ever defeat a tank?

History shows that exactly ZERO panzers were destroyed by the Polish cavalry when they used mounted soldiers to try and defend their country in September 1939.
Old July 1, 2002, 06:33   #6
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Geez, a gut with the handle "fittstim" trying to teach the public the finer points of PC speech? How amuzing.
Old July 1, 2002, 07:19   #7
dexters
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
Before anybody get's the wrong idea... I was talking only in the game context.

Dexters, thank you for correcting me, I did not mean to offend anybody by using the word "japs" and I already corrected it on the original post.

I do't think that anybody here seriously would like to nuke anybody for real but a lot do it in the game and talk about it on this board.
No problem The Pioneer I know you didn't mean it, and sorry for "blowing up".

Any to anyone elser who thinks this is PC, it is not.

JAP is an offensive term that was in use during the War years and is best not used in the modern context. And yes, I was offended.
Old July 1, 2002, 08:29   #8
fittstim
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper
Geez, a gut with the handle "fittstim" trying to teach the public the finer points of PC speech? How amuzing.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Read the book by Linda Skugge and then come back and edit your comment so that you sound like less of a buffoon.

P.S. I certainly am not a "gut".
Old July 1, 2002, 10:46   #9
Incan_Warrior
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
just a quick post to let everyone know that the days of hyper-sensitive political correctness have come and gone. Unless you live in a university bubble (where political correctness thrives ad nauseum), you will realize the people of the real world have 'done their time' under the PC regime and are ready to get back to freely calling a spade a spade - forgive the pun. A colorblind society is nothing more than a fantasy.
Old July 1, 2002, 11:52   #10
Dr. Stiby
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Incan_Warrior
A colorblind society is nothing more than a fantasy.
That's not surprising coming from a Texan.
Old July 1, 2002, 11:54   #11
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 22:31
I had Roman Legions and Riflemen defeat 6 marines doing an amphibious assualt. Oddly, the Legionaries did better.

I shelled them all with artillery.
Old July 1, 2002, 12:47   #12
Ragnarok
Settler

Local Time: 13:31
Quote:
That's not surprising coming from a Texan.
Who's steriotyping now?

But seriously, my Grandad fought for our country
and YOUR freedom, and was killed by the japs!
And if I wanna call em japs, why cant I?
What law says jap is offencive and must not be said
lest someone's oversensitive feelings get hurt!

And that "n" word....well they say it all the time!
But you cant be white and say that...
Why cant a white express himself but a "n" can?

I cant really be bothered debating ignorant PC
communists who want tollerance but not of "evil racists saying the J word!" LOL Anyway the proper slang word is Nip...
Old July 1, 2002, 12:50   #13
Carver
Prince

Would a mod please change the name of this thread to "Shouting Out Loud!"
Old July 1, 2002, 13:07   #14
SultanofATL
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok

Who's steriotyping now?

And if I wanna call em japs, why cant I?
What law says jap is offencive and must not be said
lest someone's oversensitive feelings get hurt!

And that "n" word....well they say it all the time!
But you cant be white and say that...
Why cant a white express himself but a "n" can?

communists who want tollerance but not of "evil racists saying the J word!" LOL Anyway the proper slang word is Nip...
I would suggest you don't refer to anyone by anything they don't want to be referred to as. As far as the "N" word and its usage.....get denied basic human rights because of your color....then face a cast system that sets your heritage even further behind that of your oppressor.....get bombed and abused so that you can have a right to vote....then by all means use the word!

P.S. I know many a black person in Texas...I wouldn't suggest calling any of them that. Just a little info for your health's sake.
Old July 1, 2002, 13:21   #15
Carver
Prince

Quote:
communists
So an opponent of racism is always a communist? You're clearly one of the paranoid, xenophobic stepchildren of J Edgar Hoover who sees coloreds in his nightmares taking over America... sweet dreams.
Old July 1, 2002, 13:32   #16
Ragnarok
Settler

Local Time: 13:31
Quote:
Hoover who sees coloreds in his nightmares taking over America.
Thats funny, I see them in the streets.
Yes it will be a nightmare if coloreds take over America.
A nightmare for the remaining white minority.

And didn't J Edgar Hoover get a dam named after him?
Old July 1, 2002, 13:39   #17
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:31
@ pioneer: when editing a post: please state so: I.E.
EDITED: japs to japanese.
Otherwise it gets quit hard to follow the thread

I don't think this thread will survive much longer
Old July 1, 2002, 14:02   #18
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
I don't think this thread will survive much longer
Yep, it deserves to be closed.
Old July 1, 2002, 14:07   #19
Carver
Prince

Quote:

Thats funny, I see them in the streets.
Yes it will be a nightmare if coloreds take over America.
A nightmare for the remaining white minority.

And didn't J Edgar Hoover get a dam named after him?
I also see them in offices, in academia, in theaters. Its good to know that the only thought your brain can handle is one of simple stereotypes.

I don't know about a dam, but the FBI building was named after him, but even Rep. Dan Burton ( a hard right winger such as yourself) wants the building renamed becuase Hoover knowingly allowed an innocent man to be convicted.
Old July 1, 2002, 14:16   #20
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
you've never done that?
Old July 1, 2002, 14:21   #21
dexters
King

Should I? I Zulu Nig.. nevermind ;P

Shaka was a pain in the ass in my last game, but I crushed him.
Old July 1, 2002, 14:22   #22
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Should I? I Zulu Nig.. nevermind ;P

Shaka was a pain in the ass in my last game, but I crushed him.

yea i know what you mean. what pisses me off is that he used his impis for attacks. what pisses me off even more is that they kill pikemen.

Old July 1, 2002, 14:29   #23
kimmygibler
Warlord

Local Time: 20:31
Ragnarok - "But seriously, my Grandad fought for our country and YOUR freedom, and was killed by the japs!
And if I wanna call em japs, why cant I?"

Because it makes you look like an idiot for one. Also, why would you want to deliberately use a word that you know is considered offensive by many people? You should try to have some sort of general level of respect for people.

"What law says jap is offencive and must not be said
lest someone's oversensitive feelings get hurt!"

The law of common sense. You know people consider it offensive so why would you say it? You know the proper term yet you choose to use offensive language for no reason. If you think that something your ancestors did can excuse you from using offensive terms you're crazy.

The point is that you deliberately use improper language knowing that is hurtful to many people. That makes you a jackass.
Old July 1, 2002, 14:33   #24
The Pioneer
Prince

Ok, ok... I think this thread should be closed now.

I just want to set the record straight. I was only talking in the CONTEXT of the GAME.

So keep that in mind when you interpretat of my words!!!

Furthermore when I hear people talking about the war and the Japanese, the Germans, etc... Our people went to war to defeat evil, they went to war in order to ensure that we can express our opinion, they went to war so we can talk and argue about a game or anything else for that matter.

They did not go to war to eonize or nurture the preceptions, stereotypes and racism. Here I would like to add a small personal note that has changed my and my wife's life. A month ago we went to Normandy and we visited two American, one British and two German cemetaries, the devastation, sorrow and pain we felt were unamiginable. We saw more than 50000 thousand graves, believe me guys this was a life changing experience. I don't think that they died to give us the right to go back to useless, no good, stupid stereotyping. So damn me if I am going to say anything to anybody that offends him and if ever do I am going to apologize. The stereotypes can cause pain, anger, resentment and there is no reason in our day and age to do so.

Anyway, I do not want to and should not stray away from the main subject of this board which is a Game and nothing more.

We should quit or Markos should close this thread in order to avoid any further harsh and unnecessary arguements.

PS: Alva your suggestion is noted and will implement with the next occasion.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:11   #25
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Pioneer....I got it and I do that too, by the way. If I'm playing the Japanese, they're of course, the Most-Noble-Japanese-Empire-Upon-Which-The-Sun-Never-Sets.

If I'm playing anybody else, and they're in the game, then yes, in the context of the game, they're the japs (who are undoubtedly sneaky and nefarious, and generally in my way).

Same with the French.....I love playing them, 'cept for the color of course, but when I'm not, they're those "steenking Frogs" or "those damned Frenchies."

I don't think that a bit of name calling in the context of any game is making a political statement, and, given that it IS being done in the context of the game, shouldn't be cause for anybody to make a big deal over it.

If you're that thin skinned, I'd advise wholeheartedly against browsing in the Civ3 fiction section....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old July 1, 2002, 15:29   #26
W4r_Machine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

I don't think that a bit of name calling in the context of any game is making a political statement, and, given that it IS being done in the context of the game, shouldn't be cause for anybody to make a big deal over it.

If you're that thin skinned, I'd advise wholeheartedly against browsing in the Civ3 fiction section....

-=Vel=-
Agreed, poeple have to understand that "name calling" is nothing more than humour...at least when inside this forum.

As noted above, Jap is just the shorten word for Japanese.

I'm sure no one here would deliberately insult anybody.
have struck again
Old July 1, 2002, 16:05   #27
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Ok, ok... I think this thread should be closed now.

I just want to set the record straight. I was only talking in the CONTEXT of the GAME.

Here I would like to add a small personal note that has changed my and my wife's life. A month ago we went to Normandy and we visited two American, one British and two German cemetaries...
Fine post, Pioneer. It should always be about the game only. So, everybody, watch your words at least a bit, but just relax and count to ten if you come across something that might be understood as, but must not necessarily be offensive.
Old July 1, 2002, 16:31   #28
delsolsi
Chieftain

Quote:
So did Japanese americans, you racist peace of ****.
Old July 1, 2002, 17:00   #29
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Re: Laughing out Loud!
Quote:
I was playing the Chinese in a huge map sharing a continent with the hated japanese . Well, at some point we were at war and I attacked with my tanks. Well what do you know out of the blue come two Samurais and each destroy a tank of mine . Well, my reaction was to laugh out loud as I imagined two funny looking guys hacking away at two 20+ tons of steel!!! I know that this is not a new issue but I never actually had a Samurai with his sword do it. It was just a funny sight .
hi ,

, they where trained in antitank countermeasures , .....

it can be done by one guy , if he knows what he is doing and a good dose of luck and guts , ....

have a nice day
Old July 1, 2002, 18:14   #30
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Interesting
Wow. I really don't think "Jap" is all that big of a deal.

I also don't think we should let others control our use of language either. I have Greek blood, but I could care less that the term "Greek" is often used in conjunction with sodomy. If people want to use it that way, it is their mouth and their fingers typing on the keyboard.

Trying to restrict racist language makes you something far worse than a racist, you become a censor. The cure is worse than the disease. Let the racists die off on their own. Setting positve examples and refusing to give in is far more effective and lets you keep the moral high ground.

And for those of you who feel I am racist because I am not offended by the word "Jap" I have two things to say. First, anybody who feels "offense" at others words really needs to take a hard look inside and decide what matters to them. Second, I have a mixed race marriage and plan to have children who are at least in part not my race.