Old July 30, 2002, 19:17   #91
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Alrighty then Lucutus's set up looks fair and balanced to me. I vote we use it though I would like there to be no time limits used at all because in a competetion game I would like to have all the time I need to look for that random slaver that sneaked into my kingdom.

I'm sure the games will still move along quickly with or without the time limits and one of us just might need the extra time while planning the defense against an enemy invasion.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 30, 2002, 19:28   #92
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I too concur with Oerdin for the same reason - since this is going to be a competition and not a "click-fest" there should be no time limitations implaced.
Old July 30, 2002, 19:35   #93
Oerdin
Deity

Wow... someone actually agreed with me!
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 30, 2002, 20:08   #94
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I'm not a big fan of time limits myself, I wouldn't mind abolishing them at all, if not too many people would object. The reason for having them of course is to prevent the situation where you have to wait forever before other players finish their turn. So, what does everyone else think? Should there be a time limit and if so, what should it be? I need many people's feedback on this, this is probably the biggest issue we still have to decide on (feedback on map settings is also very welcome: I think diversity should be very high, but the other settings are still open for debate)...
Old July 30, 2002, 20:12   #95
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
I think setting a really high time limit would really encourage people to take all the time up each turn and generally waste time doing stuff that could be done during other peoples turn. And a short time limit really wouldnt be suited to some players, so i say no limit.
Old July 30, 2002, 20:53   #96
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I think there should be a time limit, to prevent people leaving the game connected, and walking away until everyone else resigns... but a long enough one to get everything done. Is 5 minutes enough?
Old July 30, 2002, 21:03   #97
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
I think there should be a time limit, to prevent people leaving the game connected, and walking away until everyone else resigns... but a long enough one to get everything done. Is 5 minutes enough?
Hmmm, good point IW, I didn't think about that. Then sure, a time time limit of between 5-10 minutes would work out fine in my opinion.
Old July 30, 2002, 22:51   #98
flatlander22
Settler

Local Time: 21:32
5-10 mins? Are you all refering to the time limit of each players turns? wow. I played CTP1 online a long time ago, and the time limit was never over 25 seconds..lol
It worked! haha. I sure did miss playing it online...although I played the computer...I was still online. I go by the name of civ just in case you see me online sometime

Last edited by flatlander22; July 30, 2002 at 23:26.
Old July 31, 2002, 00:56   #99
Shadow
Warlord

Local Time: 13:32
I'm in!
Hi all,

Seems like you've kinda got all the slots taken up. If there's any spare though I'd love to join you all. Otherwise if someone drops out I'll slot in.
(Sorry for the late entry, life briefly got in the way of my leisure time...)

And I agree with IW's idea for timing. Personally I hate limits, but I hate people walking away from the game more. I think there should be a limit of some kind.

Cheers to everyone for making this happen!

Shadow
Now the fat lady's singin'...
Old July 31, 2002, 06:31   #100
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 03:32
Yep the time limit is a tricky one - don't want to force it into anything close to a click-fest(after all that is the opposite of what 'civ' is about). But say you have a 10min time limit and 4 human players, then at the worst you could be waiting 30min for your turn to come around again(if eveyone uses their full time)
That i think you will find is too long - times that by a few hundred turns to complete the game and it could cost an arm and a leg!(ok this is unlikely to happen - but.....)
From playing LAN(the good old days!)a bit, with upto 4 players(usually 2-3), we found that if everyone did their game admin(city queue's etc) in their 'off' time then a few mins(upto 5ish) was plenty for unit movements etc.
I hate click-fest games, but at least if someone was taking their time we could ask them to hurry up! It wont be so easy a continent away!
Well i'm not taking part so i'll shut-up now on this - it just needs to be thought about, some people like to use up all their time every turn

EDIT: and if you want more completed games then this could be vital to keeping people's intrest?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited by child of Thor; July 31, 2002 at 06:40.
Old July 31, 2002, 08:49   #101
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Shadow, don't worry, there's still room for more people! Until I explicitly say the sign-up is closed, anyone can still sign up. So you are most welcome to join in...

CoT,
Yeah, you have a point there. If there is going to be a limit (which seems to make sense), I guess 5 minutes would be better than 10.

And don't worry, you're feedback is more than welcome, even if you're not playing! There is a lack of MP experience on this forum, so anyone willing to offer his experiences, whether they play in the tourney or not, is more than welcome!
Old July 31, 2002, 11:15   #102
J Bytheway
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

The first time I played CTP1 online against Gav he complained because I played too fast and he didn't have a chance to sort all his build queues . I think that was mostly due to me being sooo far behind him he had a lot more stuff than me.
Old July 31, 2002, 12:04   #103
Mazaika 7
Settler

Rush Buy Fix
Hello every ctp2 addictant i've seen here, hehe. I got some good news, i have the patch against cheating. U definately wont be able to cheat and u can still rushbuy units and everything.

However the file is available to G members and Apolyton members only. everyone else will be able to get it in 2 weeks, on out G site http://www.guardiansclan.de/

So i would ask u not to give this file to anyone who is not a G member or Apolyton member.

My icq# is 74921631, my e-mail is gmazaika@yahoo.ca
Whoever wants to get it, icq me or e-mail me.

By the way this tourney i'd like to join, i havent read yet whats it gonna be about, but im a quite successful player.

Thank You
Old July 31, 2002, 13:16   #104
Oerdin
Deity

Maz, who finally fixed the rush buy bug? If I install the bug fix will I still be able to play with players who haven't installed the fix? Also is it alright if we bundle it with a few of the Apolyton mods that we have already made so that we can increase the patch's distribution? Who ever wrote this patch I'd like to give them a big
Old July 31, 2002, 18:28   #105
Barley
Call to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Hi guys, Im definatly up for a MP game so please count me in.

Oh and for those ive been playing onlince a month ago, many apologies ive not been around to continue games. My PC has been very sick and ive had to re-format and re-install, still having a few probs but I should be back online at the weekend.
Old July 31, 2002, 19:10   #106
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Thanks Maz! Its brilliant.
How does it work?

Quote:
However the file is available to G members and Apolyton members only
Um... why?
Old July 31, 2002, 20:36   #107
Shadow
Warlord

So what's the deal with this rush buy bug. I must've missed it...
Can someone explain it to me, or direct me to a thread on the forum (had a quick search with no luck).

Back to timing. I recall that some of the times I played MP CTP II with time limits, the limit was a function of how many cities a player had. You could set the limit to whatever you want.
So lets say a limit is set of perhaps 30secs per city. At the start it could cause a bit of a rush, and at the end it could allow the player to sit back for 10 minutes+ which could be excessive, but I think for the most part it would be sufficient.

Any thoughts?

Shadow
Old July 31, 2002, 20:40   #108
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Id rather have no limit at all, but 5 minutes is more than ample all way through the game. Speed cities is not accurate enough. Maybe if there was a speed units.
Old July 31, 2002, 20:41   #109
Shadow
Warlord

Oh, by the way Loc, I'm definitely in then.
Do you have tentative date set for when this will all start?

I think we'll have to get a final list of all the mods required, as my game is so altered beyond the regular mods it's just a joke... (but it's a freakin' great game!)
Actually now that i think of it, you may have listed them already earlier in the thread... I'll check.

Shadow
Old August 4, 2002, 04:28   #110
Wildbore
Settler

Yes the tourny is looking good, thank you maz for your accomplishment and is also praise u on the guardians site . I'm predicting only 1/3 of the players who actually signed up will show up. This isn't based on fact but by my playing experience i know all wont show. Hopefully the players who signed up will come back regularly for updates and dont forget about the tourny. Just in case you should prepare for a lower than expected show up if you havent already.
Old August 4, 2002, 06:23   #111
Maquiladora
Emperor

You should remember that some people have other commitments, especially if a game is waning, and someone else has already won. Besides there will be 4 players in the early games so it will be shorter, as it will become obvious to them who cant win. I dont mind if someone leaves accepting defeat and ill do likewise, its best to just move on.
Old August 4, 2002, 16:25   #112
GxNapoleon
Settler

I WILL PLAY !
HEy Folks !

I would love to play the tourney. Count me in !

Visit the home of the RUSH BUY FIX : The Guardians Clan

Napoleon
--------------------
Even the longest journey starts with the first step...

THE GUARDIANS CLAN
Old August 4, 2002, 18:20   #113
Locutus
Deity

Hey guys, brief update: I'm going through a lot of crap IRL right now, so I don't have much time for organizing the tourney. I'm hoping things will clear up later this week, and I'm aiming to make the tourney start the week after that, somewhere around August 20...
Old August 4, 2002, 20:33   #114
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Sounds good Locutus. Thanks for the update!
Old August 10, 2002, 15:26   #115
dregman
Settler

hi everyone I just came back from a long holiday so can somebody tell me what happened while I was away

because I am not in the mood to read all the reply's...
Old August 10, 2002, 18:16   #116
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

er... nothing much.

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Hey guys, brief update: I'm going through a lot of crap IRL right now, so I don't have much time for organizing the tourney. I'm hoping things will clear up later this week, and I'm aiming to make the tourney start the week after that, somewhere around August 20...
Old August 13, 2002, 13:16   #117
Oerdin
Deity

So are we going to get this show on the road?
Old August 13, 2002, 13:42   #118
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I'm guessing one more week.
Old August 13, 2002, 19:33   #119
Locutus
Deity

Starting date will be around August 25. Starting this weekend would be too tight and since most people will probably want to play in the weekend, the first games can hopefully start around then. I need a little more time to work things out, but I'm too busy with my exams right now.

I've pretty much set the rules though. If there are strong objections to any of this, they can still be adapted but normally I won't change them anymore:

1) We'll be playing on random maps
2) We will be playing with the default, unmodded, patched game. If I can arrange things with Mazaika et al we *will* be using the rush-buy bug fix, even though it's not a 100% fix. More on this later.
3) There will be 2 AI player per human player, but the total number of players will never exceed 8 (and the number of humans 4).
4) Piracy and Pillaging will be allowed, wonders and nukes will be disabled. (I would prefer to have everything enabled myself but many seem to prefer to have these latter two disabled).
5) Difficulty level will impossible, with barbarians in the maximum setting. Pollution will be on, bloodlust off.
6) Everyone will start with 4 Settlers and 10,000 Gold and PW.
7) The size of the map will be Regular.
8) 1 call for restart.
9) Map properties: maximum Wet, maximum Warm, 50% Land, 50% Continent, maximum Diverse and 80% Goods.
10) Their will be a limit of 5 minutes on the turn, to prevent people from walking away and stuff.
11) The structure will largely depend on the precise number of partitipants, but as similar as possible to the system described in earlier posts.
Old August 14, 2002, 05:27   #120
Shadow
Warlord

No wonders!!!
What the...!
How boring a game will it be with no Wonders! Half the fun of the game is working through the tech tree, gaining the benefits of Wonders, and racing other civs to get those benefits.

I put in a vote to KEEP Wonders.

As for nukes, personally I'd keep them in. I think everything should be in, that's the way the game was made, and it's more realistic - but I can understand that people out there would be scared of conflict in the game.
I thikn though, that if they played well, I doubt nukes would be an issue for them...

Just my thoughts, which I guess perhaps aren't shared by the majority. But if both Wonders and nukes are taken out I feel the 'boring factor' would creep up considerably.

Cheers all.
Shadow

Last edited by Shadow; August 14, 2002 at 06:46.