Old September 5, 2002, 08:58   #151
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 05:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Out of the 25 people who showed an interest in this Tournament, only 10 have so far confirmed they're still in and only 5 or so can actually play Saturday. I never expected all 25 to actually participate but I'm pretty sure people like IW, Napoleon, Tripa, Wildbore, etc are still interested. I suggest we postpone the Tournament another week while I try to contact as many people of the initial group as possible to see if they still want to play. Unfortunately this means another week of delay but I think it would do the Tourney a lot of good if we could add even 4-5 more players....

What do you guys think?
Old September 5, 2002, 10:32   #152
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:32
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Well, this coming weekend was perfect for me since I will be out of town next weekend...
Old September 5, 2002, 13:23   #153
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 04:32
'm working Saturday
Old September 5, 2002, 15:22   #154
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 03:32
I've a game Saturday and a hangover Sunday

Would it be easier to post a list of matchs like:

Turambar vs IW
Locutus vs Maquiladora
etc

And for those people to arrange when they can play each other?
Old September 5, 2002, 16:07   #155
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

The trouble with 1v1 is some people may find it boring to play against just one person, especially if they never played MP before. It would be much easier to organise 1v1 matches and it could start right away. There could still be "seeding" somewhere in there for the draw too. Some may prefer the backstabbing and sneakiness of 3/4 players, but i like to know exactly what my goal is.

Also having 1v1's, it would leave the tournament more "open" and not represent such a commiment for someone. Play a couple of matches and carry on... or something. Of course it should also mean more matches, which, in theory, should show more easily a clear winner overall. Either way is still fine by me though.

Just dont put me in the top area of seeding
Old September 5, 2002, 16:47   #156
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

I wasn't sure about how many would play each other so I just used 1v1 as an example. But putting up some fixtures and then organiseing times etc still might work....
Old September 5, 2002, 19:13   #157
Shadow
Warlord

Local Time: 13:32
Damn, forgot about the MP...!

Good idea from Turambar.

I'm afriad I'm no good for this Saturday... or any saturday really.

I'm happy to hook up with any players who're available through the week for a tournament game.
I'm sure we can sort something out along those lines.

Shadow
Now the fat lady's singin'...
Old September 5, 2002, 19:20   #158
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Its strange that theres so many people signed up but i dont often see many people in the MP lobby Is anyone practicing?
Old September 6, 2002, 10:32   #159
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Okay, I had hoped for more decision but I can't wait much longer: unless there are *very* strong protests, I hereby postpone the Tournament one more week in order to get more people involved. I'll post a news item later today and will start emailing/ICQing people. Sorry Wittlich, but with 25 potential players I don't think there wil ever be a week when noone is out of town. Hopefully we can get at least 2 games next week...

As far as 1vs1 games vs 3-4 player games, yes 1vs1 is much easier to organize but a lot of people indicated they would like 3/4-player games so for now that what we'll aim for - outside of tournaments you probably rarely get to play such games so it would be a pity to pass on an opportunity like this...

So, who can play September 14 or 15? (Time: ideally somewhere around 16:00-23:00 GMT again)
Old September 6, 2002, 11:03   #160
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I understand your reasoning for next weekend Locutus. Oh well, hopefully I can participate later on down the road...
Old September 6, 2002, 11:06   #161
Maquiladora
Emperor

I can play next weekend. I suppose the late comers will have to be drawn together.
Old September 6, 2002, 11:16   #162
ETB
Warlord

Local Time: 22:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Its strange that theres so many people signed up but i dont often see many people in the MP lobby Is anyone practicing?
I would not mind the practice of setting up and starting a few games. I did play a couple of games online with CtP1 so I think that CtP2 should be similar. I’ll probably go online this weekend and practice doing that since the tournament is delayed. I won’t have time to actually play a game though. I guess that I’ll just practice setting up with AIs.

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
So, who can play September 14 or 15? (Time: ideally somewhere around 16:00-23:00 GMT again)
I am less available that weekend and not available during Monday-Thursday of that week. I could probably fit a game in though on the 14th or 15th or even the 20th (Friday). Maybe we should try to form the groups for the initial games according to their availability – some can’t do it on the weekends but could probably play during weekdays, others may only be available on the weekends. We may have a better chance of getting 3 (or 4) human players in each game of the 1st round if we group ourselves according to availability. If so, put me down as available for 14, 15 and 20 September. My schedule is a lot more flexible the following week.
Old September 6, 2002, 14:28   #163
Turambar
Prince

Saturday or Sunday afternoon next week sounds good (I hope ).
Old September 6, 2002, 15:35   #164
Repistes
Settler

ý can play any time between GMT 14 to 22 at 14,15,16,17,18,19,20 and 21 semptember ý'am still waiting
Old September 6, 2002, 17:32   #165
mkalthoff
Chieftain

still in
Hi,

i'm still in. Sorry for not looking in here so long (i have been in warcraft III fever). I can play next weekend, any time. For info my data (icq:49185609, mail: marcus_kalthoff@web.de).

cu

Marcus
Old September 6, 2002, 17:44   #166
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
So, who can play September 14 or 15? (Time: ideally somewhere around 16:00-23:00 GMT again
I can play any time Sat, 19:00 -> 23:00 Sunday
Old September 7, 2002, 01:30   #167
Shadow
Warlord

Local Time: 13:32
I'm in for Sat and Sun, 1900 - 2100GMT.
Let me know. That'll be virtually any Sat and Sun at those times... I'll cope... [grin]

Sorry I can't do anymore on the weekends...
Now the fat lady's singin'...
Old September 7, 2002, 12:31   #168
ETB
Warlord

I was able to create a few games on the Internet this morning. I tried connecting to the “games.igateway.net” server but I was not successful. The “nl.alink.gamepoint.net” server allowed me into its lobby without any problem. I was able to set up with 4 settlers and 10K gold but I could not adjust the starting public works so it just started at 1K. I was able to exclude all wonders although I had to select each one to exclude it! I set the Difficulty level to Impossible and maxed out the Barbarians (Marauders), Bloodlust Off, Pollution On, the map settings at maximum diversity (the others were in the middle), dynamic join on, and doughnut world. It was all fairly straightforward.

I had to replace my servers.dat file in order to access any servers at all so I think everyone should have a good servers.dat file available. Also, “nl.alink.gamepoint.net” server is the only one that I have been able to access with consistency.
Old September 7, 2002, 12:50   #169
Maquiladora
Emperor

Yeah i think the games.igateway.net one only works for CivCtP. I cant connect to it either.
Old September 8, 2002, 02:20   #170
Addled Platypus
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMCall to Power PBEMCivilization IV PBEMBtS Tri-League
Emperor

count me in, But.. the 14th would be bad for me.
Any thur, fri -any time would be great

GOT NUKES?
Old September 8, 2002, 06:16   #171
dregman
Settler

next weekend is just fine with me I've got loads of time

so i will be there then!!!

(and i think it's a good time to start practising)
Old September 9, 2002, 14:33   #172
Repistes
Settler

can any one say the rules?
Old September 9, 2002, 14:44   #173
Locutus
Deity

I think I gave you the rules two or three times already, but here they are again:

Quote:
Originally posted by me, earlier in this thread
1) We'll be playing on random maps
2) We will be playing with the default, unmodded, patched game. If I can arrange things with Mazaika et al we *will* be using the rush-buy bug fix, even though it's not a 100% fix. More on this later.
3) There will be 2 AI player per human player, but the total number of players will never exceed 8 (and the number of humans 4).
4) Piracy and Pillaging will be allowed, wonders and nukes will be disabled. (I would prefer to have everything enabled myself but many seem to prefer to have these latter two disabled).
5) Difficulty level will impossible, with barbarians in the maximum setting. Pollution will be on, bloodlust off.
6) Everyone will start with 4 Settlers and 10,000 Gold and PW.
7) The size of the map will be Regular.
8) 1 call for restart.
9) Map properties: maximum Wet, maximum Warm, 50% Land, 50% Continent, maximum Diverse and 80% Goods.
10) Their will be a limit of 5 minutes on the turn, to prevent people from walking away and stuff.
11) The structure will largely depend on the precise number of partitipants, but as similar as possible to the system described in earlier posts.
Old September 9, 2002, 14:54   #174
Maquiladora
Emperor

Apart from the PW which cant be set on the MP setup.
Old September 9, 2002, 16:39   #175
Locutus
Deity

D'oh, you're right of course...
Old September 9, 2002, 16:41   #176
ETB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
6) Everyone will start with 4 Settlers and 10,000 Gold and PW.
So that’s actaully 4 settlers, 10,000 gold, and the default starting amount for PW. I think the default is 1,000 PW and I do not know of a way to change it.
Old September 9, 2002, 16:44   #177
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Actually, the starting amount of PW in MP games is ZERO (0), null, zip, nada.
Old September 9, 2002, 16:45   #178
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

In MP games, you can only change the starting number of settlers and amount of gold on hand.
Old September 9, 2002, 16:47   #179
Maquiladora
Emperor

Everyone could use a mod for more starting PW for humans, but its not worth all the effort at this stage.
Old September 9, 2002, 18:21   #180
ETB
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Actually, the starting amount of PW in MP games is ZERO (0), null, zip, nada.
That's right. Thanks for the correction!