Old July 1, 2002, 18:35   #1
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 19:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Reinstallation Problems
Hey all-

I just tried to reinstall Civ cause I was having some problems with the editor. Now when I am going through re-installation, setup stalls because there is no Data3.cab file. I've scoured the disk and can't find any such file. I had no trouble installing it yesterday on a different computer and am wondering what's up. Anyone care to help?

Thanks-
Old July 1, 2002, 18:41   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 04:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Reinstallation Problems
Quote:
Originally posted by jsw363
Hey all-
I just tried to reinstall Civ cause I was having some problems with the editor. Now when I am going through re-installation, setup stalls because there is no Data3.cab file. I've scoured the disk and can't find any such file. I had no trouble installing it yesterday on a different computer and am wondering what's up. Anyone care to help?
Thanks-
As far as I can remember, this happened to me when I tried to install the game from a backup CD-R install disk. I guess it is the Civ3 copy protection... Are you installing from the original installation CD-ROM?
Old July 1, 2002, 18:51   #3
jsw363
Prince

Yep, original disk. Shouldn't have any problems, so I don't know what's going on... Does your disk have this file?
Old July 1, 2002, 18:56   #4
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 22:33
If all else fails, you could try copying the CD to your hard drive and then install the game from there. This is usually effective. But I should note, if you view the contents of the CD there is no “Data 3.cab” file (unless it is in “Data 1 or Data 2.cab.”)
Old July 1, 2002, 19:04   #5
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 04:33
Quote:
Originally posted by jsw363
Yep, original disk. Shouldn't have any problems, so I don't know what's going on... Does your disk have this file?
Nope, it doesn't. It does not exist at all and the installation is able to run/finish without needing it. This apparently weird request for a file that does not exist was - in my case - always related to not using the original disk... I can think of nothing else but first uninstalling Civ3, maybe even manually deleting the associated registry entries, and only then installing it again.

But wait, I searched around a bit and found this:

...This occurs when a previous program leaves its setup files in the Windows Temp folder. Browse to your Windows Temp folder (default location c:\Windows\Temp) and delete all files and folders located there. Now rerun setup.

And this source looks even better to me:

http://bbs.simonsays.com/bbdocs/Foru...ML/003622.html

Does this help?
Old July 2, 2002, 15:43   #6
jsw363
Prince

Thanks for all your help so far.

I've tried to uninstall everything and delete all the files. I've deleted the Temp folder too, but the same problem still occurs. It stalls at 44% installation and asks for Data3.cab which doesn't appear on the disk. This is so frustrating. Any other advice?
Old July 2, 2002, 16:52   #7
SABRA
Civilization II Democracy Game: Exodus
Warlord

Local Time: 05:33
The best to do is uninstall the game and patch then look manually for keywords like firaxis and civilization and so on .
Dont forget to delete maps and other stuff in the documents folder .
Reboot .
Reinstall .
Play game
Old July 2, 2002, 17:08   #8
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 23:33
did you check the registry for entries? you might want to go through and get rid of some of them manually
Old July 2, 2002, 19:33   #9
jsw363
Prince

Ugh, I've still had problems even after doing all the things you suggested. I've called technical support and they suggested that I clean the disk and exit from all other programs besides Symtray, so now I'm reinstalling one more time. It's so frustrating to have to go through all this again when just yesterday everything was fine (well, except for the editor) Any further advice?
Old July 3, 2002, 07:29   #10
heidlejohn
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:33
When Reinstalling, use a different file folder name for Civ3. I did a reinstall and used add/remove programs and then reinstalled with the same name (remove any old patches too). I then had problems. So I removed Civ3 again and used a different folder/filename and that seemed to fix that problem. Can't remember what the exact problem was as it was a few months ago, but worth a try.

Use remove programs including patches then reinstall with a different folder/file name.