View Poll Results: Do you want random events in an XP?
Yes I do, and they should be TRULY random! 21 60.00%
Yes I do, but I feel they should be triggered by certain player/AI actions! 6 17.14%
Yes, but I think the player should have to put them in with an Events Editor! 5 14.29%
No, I hated Random Events in Civ1, don't mention it AGAIN! 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 2, 2002, 23:31   #1
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 03:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Poll: Do you want Random Events in an XP?
Hi Guys, got another poll for you! I just want to explain the options to you:

1) Yes you want Random events, and you want them to be TRULY random, just happenning whenever, as they did in Civ1. Like Civ1, though, you want certain improvements to prevent them.

2) Yes you want "Random Events", but you want them to be triggered by certain actions, like the building or destruction of certain improvements, the building or loss of certain cities, the building, use or destruction of certain units and the gaining of certain technologies and entering of new ages. Like 1), you want certain improvements or units to be able to prevent them!

Both of these first 2 options, I assume, would be game options.

3) Yes you want random events, but you think that that the player should have to put them in themselves using an events editor (sort of like a mini-scenario)

4) Self Explanatory.

Anyway, please add any comments that you feel are relevent!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old July 3, 2002, 07:58   #2
zulu9812
King

I posted a poll like this a few months back - overwhelming vote in favour of them...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 5, 2002, 02:03   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis has already said that there won't be events in PtW (not sure if you already know that, probably do). Future expansions... perhaps, if they're loud enough.
Old July 5, 2002, 02:07   #4
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

I figured that would be the case, Trip, which is why I said XP and not PtW!! However I thought that, if Firaxis could see a strong enough demand for events in the standard game, they might be convinced to put it into PtW!!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old July 5, 2002, 02:49   #5
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 11:39
Why did they take out random events in the first place? Is there some programming reason for its absence?
Old July 5, 2002, 18:22   #6
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 22:39
Yes to option 1. I like occasional natural disasters like tsunamis, earthquakes, etc. I wouldn't mind some triggered events, too. Of course, this feature should be optional if it's implemented.
Old July 5, 2002, 19:44   #7
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 04:39
I'd not like random events to be in, at least not if you couldn't disable them, for the reason that MP would be even more of a luck game if say, an earthquake could cut your biggest city (building a wonder, say) down to size 1. Barbarians and huts are already pretty big random factors.
Old July 5, 2002, 20:42   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:39
Quote:
Originally posted by DrFell
I'd not like random events to be in, at least not if you couldn't disable them, for the reason that MP would be even more of a luck game if say, an earthquake could cut your biggest city (building a wonder, say) down to size 1. Barbarians and huts are already pretty big random factors.
I don't think they should have major influence/effect either ( maybe eyery 20th game or so, something to remember, to post about ), but i wouldn't mind smaller scale things happening.

Someone (don't remember who ) posted this before and I quite liked : imagine a galley with a settler on, beeing on water for several turns, suddenlly you get a message,
" your settler has died from lack off vitamin-c" (what's the correct term btw, can't remember it in english).
Even this shouldn't happen every game, you could do other things like it. I guess it would just add flavor. Aswell as the need to improvise.
Old July 6, 2002, 05:41   #9
zulu9812
King

I'd like to see random events linked to a variable timeline; like your actions determine what those 'random' events are.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 7, 2002, 16:19   #10
Palleon
Warlord

Local Time: 21:39
Quote:
Originally posted by alva848

" your settler has died from lack off vitamin-c" (what's the correct term btw, can't remember it in english).
Scurvy
Old July 7, 2002, 16:22   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

it would be intresting to see day and night , ...

and while we are at it , the rain with some thunderstorms , ....

have a nice day
Old July 7, 2002, 16:59   #12
Palleon
Warlord

Local Time: 21:39
Weather might be nice, make it affect artillery and air missions, but day and night might be hard when turns are in terms of years..unless it continually went around the planet, but I would imagine that would cause a bit of a strain on lesser computers, when Civ3 already uses a lot of resources.
Old July 7, 2002, 17:48   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Palleon
Weather might be nice, make it affect artillery and air missions, but day and night might be hard when turns are in terms of years..unless it continually went around the planet, but I would imagine that would cause a bit of a strain on lesser computers, when Civ3 already uses a lot of resources.
hi ,

day and night might work fine in turnless , like in C & C , tiberian sun , firestorm , ..

have a nice day
Old July 13, 2002, 05:04   #14
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

I’ve been giving some thought to potential random events, both positive and negative!
Some might include:
Droughts: Cease population growth for X turns. Can be prevented by aqueduct.
Floods: Destroys X improvements, and destroys all stored food (thus setting back population growth!)
Can be prevented by city walls.
Volcanoes: Only occurs if city is located next to a mountain. Destroys 1/2 population and 1/2 improvements.
Religious Schism: Only occurs if city contains religious improvements. If city has unhappiness or corruption, it will turn neutral! Ceases after discovery of Nationalism.
Earthquake: Destroys 1/3-1/2 of cities improvements and lose 1 population.
Famine: Lose all grain storage, and 1 population point. Can be prevented by granary.
Dark Age: Science in all cities drops by half for X turns. Cities with a university are immune to this effect.
Mutiny: 1 non-elite military unit turns into a barbarian.
City Riots: 2 improvements are destroyed. Can be prevented by courthouse and/or prison.
Disease: Each city infected loses 1 population point/4 turns. All cities along trade route have a 20% chance of infection. Will naturally dissipate after 12-20 turns and can be prevented by a hospital.
Age of Enlightenment: Science is doubled in all cities for X turns.
Trade Boom: All income from trade routes is doubled for X turns.
Baby Boom: Growth rates in Nation double for X turns.
Increased Enlistment: Get a bonus defensive unit (eg rifleman, infantry!)
Mercenaries seek employment: A veteran offensive unit signs up with your nation.
Bonus Resource: A new luxury, strategic or bonus resource appears within your borders.
Well, what do people think, and can you suggest any more? I realise this is probably pointless as Firaxis might not even bring back random events! But, who knows, if they do change their minds, then at least they’ll have a ready made list!
For my part, I think that, if random events exist, then you should be able to disable them and you should be able to set the relative frequency!
Basic frequency of events should depend on the map size, with some events occuring much more frequently than others. For example, floods, droughts and city riots should be more frequent than earthquakes, volcanoes or dark ages! Anyway, that’s my $0.02c worth, I’d really like your inputs!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.