Old July 3, 2002, 01:45   #1
RedBird
Warlord

Local Time: 22:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Promotion levels of armies
What is the meaning of the promotion level of an army? In other words what does it mean if the army itself (as opposed to the units in the army) is regular, or veteran, or elite?

How and when does the army itself get promoted?

Also, does anyone know for sure if elite units in an army can generate GL's?

Thanks.
Old July 3, 2002, 02:59   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think when all units are elite, it then gets called 'elite army'. Have to check it out though
Old July 3, 2002, 07:04   #3
Papa Chubby
Warlord

Local Time: 03:39
I´m pretty sure that the Army itself does not get any bonuses. That it is merely the units that make up the army that continue to grow and improve, at least until the Elite level has been reached. This of course is done in the same manner as improving units, through battle, or surviving it to be more precise.
Old July 3, 2002, 07:28   #4
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 04:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Papa Chubby
I´m pretty sure that the Army itself does not get any bonuses. That it is merely the units that make up the army that continue to grow and improve, at least until the Elite level has been reached. This of course is done in the same manner as improving units, through battle, or surviving it to be more precise.
I think so. I had a regular army of three regular cavalries. One got promoted to veteran; the army was still of regular type. In the same way I created a veteran army of 4 veteran tank.
Old July 3, 2002, 07:47   #5
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 03:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Nym
I think so. I had a regular army of three regular cavalries. One got promoted to veteran; the army was still of regular type. In the same way I created a veteran army of 4 veteran tank.
Although presumably, that army now had 10 HPs and not 9
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 3, 2002, 09:26   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 23:39
I don't think the Army itself (as in the container unit) matters at all. It's all about the units you put in. But I've never really paid attention to whether my army is listed as "regular" or "veteran." I'd imagine,however, that an army created by a Great Leader is regular, but one built via the Military Academy is veteran. No effects, though. The HPs of an army is determined by the combined number of HPs of the units you load into it.

Thus, if you put in 1 elite, 1 vet, and 1 regular, you will have 5+4+3 = 12 hp.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 3, 2002, 11:40   #7
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 04:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I don't think the Army itself (as in the container unit) matters at all. It's all about the units you put in. But I've never really paid attention to whether my army is listed as "regular" or "veteran." I'd imagine,however, that an army created by a Great Leader is regular, but one built via the Military Academy is veteran. No effects, though. The HPs of an army is determined by the combined number of HPs of the units you load into it.

Thus, if you put in 1 elite, 1 vet, and 1 regular, you will have 5+4+3 = 12 hp.

-Arrian
Maybe you are right... It's probably related to the Military Academy. My cavalries' army was build with a GL, the other by the MA. Should verify it next time.
Old July 3, 2002, 13:42   #8
RedBird
Warlord

Local Time: 22:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I don't think the Army itself (as in the container unit) matters at all. It's all about the units you put in. But I've never really paid attention to whether my army is listed as "regular" or "veteran." I'd imagine,however, that an army created by a Great Leader is regular, but one built via the Military Academy is veteran.
Interesting. I was sure that an army (regardless of its origin (GL or MA)) which was loaded in a city with a barracks would be a veteran, but I just tested it, and that's not the case. I just built an army four times with a GL. In all cases the army was created in a city with barracks (incidentally when the army is just created, before units are loaded, it simply says "Active Army" with no promotion level - it gets the promotion level when the first unit is loaded into it). In two cases I loaded a veteran unit into the army, once in the city, and once outside of a city, and in the other two cases I loaded a regular unit, again, once inside the city and once outside.

In all four cases the army was regular. I haven't built the MA yet so I'll need to test that in a while (all my old games are burried somewhere).

Also regarding this:
Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
I think when all units are elite, it then gets called 'elite army'.
I was thinking this was the case too, but I just had a regular army which had its last un-elite unit go elite, and the army is still a regular army.

It's looking like Arrian's theory is correct, though I still have to test the MA part of it.

Thanks all, for all the suggestions.
Old July 3, 2002, 14:12   #9
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 20:39
Re: Promotion levels of armies
Quote:
Originally posted by RedBird
Also, does anyone know for sure if elite units in an army can generate GL's?
One of the Firaxians (Mike B., Speed Bump, Soren J., Dan M. or Jeff M. - can't remember which) stated in a thread on another forum that a unit in an army will never generate a great leader.

Catt
Old July 3, 2002, 14:17   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 23:39
What Catt said.

Speaking on the experience level of armies, who remembers the original (screwed up) 1.17 patch that allowed armies from goody huts? Those were "conscript armies."

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old July 3, 2002, 15:00   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:39
It might have something to do with the pentagon.
When you can add a 4 unit to your army, it becomes veteran?? anyone

Quote:
One of the Firaxians (Mike B., Speed Bump, Soren J., Dan M. or Jeff M. - can't remember which) stated in a thread on another forum that a unit in an army will never generate a great leader.
I was quite sure I saw it happen once though. but my mistake as they say.