View Poll Results: Do you agree with this proposed Amendment? (poll over in 5 days)
Yes 24 53.33%
No 21 46.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 3, 2002, 10:52   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 23:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Official: Military Commanders Amendment
If you agree that this should become a part of the Constitution, please vote yes.

The War Minister may, when he feels it necessary, appoint "Military Commanders" or "Generals", the name being, for the moment, unimportant, who will focus on a specific region or specialty and advise him on matters pertaining to that region or specialty. The Military Commander may post polls in the War Minister's name. There may be any number of Military Commanders. The Military Commander post(s) will each cease to exist as they become unnecessary. A Military Commander may be removed from his post under three circumstances: the President feels it necessary, due to poor conduct or any other reason, the War Minister feels it is necessary, due to poor conduct or any other reason, or a Citizen has posted a poll in which there has been a two-thirds majority vote for the removal of the Military Commander. This Amendment will not take affect until it has been ratified by a two-thirds majority vote.

OK, there are several reasons this is a good amendment:

1) It can make life easier for the War Minister
2) It can give people experiance in government
3) It can actually help us focus on important things when needed

Please note that this is not a permanent post, nor even a single post. This is simply the ability of the War Minister to get an aide (unless it's Vlad's aide ).
Old July 3, 2002, 11:06   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No, and I don't see how this poll is official.
Old July 3, 2002, 11:14   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

It is official because it follows the poll guidelines that have been established for some time.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:26   #4
Pevonian
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:41
Hmm
Is this in any way related too, based upon or ripped off from the below?

Posted: 02-07-2002 20:54

"...but we'd need Marshals for Divisions of the army if it got large. I'm used to having small forces, and it could get tedious submitting orders for the entire force!"

It does sound remarkably similar...

:0
Old July 3, 2002, 12:28   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

I've been plugging this idea since the start of the game.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:32   #6
Pevonian
Chieftain

Good, good
Great minds think alike eh? It was your idea first then please forgive me, but you posting it the day after I posted my vauger, sketchy idea up was a bit suspicious. Otherwise, I totally support this move and have voted Yes.

Old July 3, 2002, 12:33   #7
Kuciwalker
Deity

Thank you for your vote. We will need this later.
Old July 3, 2002, 12:36   #8
Pevonian
Chieftain

Yes
Yes we will, though we'll have to make sure they are obiedient to the orders of the hierarchy (I'd expect the President to follow their orders by the book, for added realism) it would be a bad situation if a General refused to move his troops onto an assualt.

Old July 3, 2002, 12:37   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

The General doesn't have total control. He tells the War Minister what the polls say, and the War Minister tells the President.
Old July 3, 2002, 13:21   #10
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
It is official because it follows the poll guidelines that have been established for some time.
And these guidelines, were they established democratic and also meditated upon? Or just by coincidence?
Old July 3, 2002, 13:41   #11
Kuciwalker
Deity

The Guidelines were voted on.
Old July 3, 2002, 13:43   #12
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 21:41
We just need a general amendmant that allows for ALL Ministers to appoint aids AS THEY SEE FIT. Why break it down into seperate divisions. Give the power over this to the Ministers, and make some guidelines for how to inform/make official/whatever these aids to the general public.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 3, 2002, 13:45   #13
Kuciwalker
Deity

Only some Ministers really need aides. We don't want too much bureaucracy, though we will need some.
Old July 3, 2002, 13:50   #14
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Why not leave that up to the Minister? If real life steps in, someone may need an aid for a time when otherwise they wouldn't.

I am in no position to say who needs an aid and who does not, I am not the Minister, I am not doing their work. Let THEM decide what THEY need, do not place restrictions in the 'law'.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 3, 2002, 13:54   #15
Kuciwalker
Deity

Well, we don't want the "aides" completely taking over the ministers' jobs. There's a reason why we elect the Ministers, as opposed to having the President appoint them.
Old July 3, 2002, 14:16   #16
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

So, instead, we make up a seperate 'aide' ammendmant for all the ministers who think they need one?

I am just saying, who are we to tell someone that THEY do not require any help, but this guy over here does? Things happen, it is a long term, someone may be shorter on time by the end of it.

If you fear Aides "taking over" then we could put restrictions into the ammendment, say they can only poll, post info, whatnot, but cannot conduct any 'official' game moves? Or just say that they act as the Minister decides, if that means full authority, so beit, if someone don't like the aids decision, while acting officially for the Minister, impeach the Minister.

I am not saying what needs to be written, but why make many ammendments when we can have one cover all Ministers? Put restrictions if people feel its needed, but let the poeple doing the jobs decide whether they need help.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old July 3, 2002, 14:47   #17
Robber Baron
Prince

Local Time: 22:41
Unortho's suggestions make sense to me. As I've posted elsewhere, the appropriate safeguard against military commanders running amok is impeachment of the War Minister (for failing to keep his generals in line).
One proviso, I guess: removal of a War Minister should automatically (and constitutionally) dismantle his command staff.
Old July 3, 2002, 17:23   #18
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:41
U forgot the banana vote...
Your method equals wipe out
Old July 3, 2002, 18:25   #19
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

the farther the game goes , the more aides shall be needed , we might aswell start now , so that they can learn , and the whole government is worked in very fast , ....befors things get to complicated to do , ...

vote yes now , dont vote no if it needs to be done in 50 turns , do it now , vote YES .

have a nice day
Old July 3, 2002, 19:38   #20
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I voted no, but several points
1) poll is invalid because of the first post
from the constitution

Fairness and Neutrality:
The first post in a poll thread should be completely neutral. No options are to be suggested for voting, just what each option entails in an unbiased format. The same is true for the voting options. While poking fun at an option will probably be acceptable, if someone thinks that it interferes with a voter’s decision, then they may deem it invalid. If you show bias in your options, then it is no longer fair. So be warned, if your poll is a landslide one way and should win but someone feels that the options you presented are unfair and calls for a validity vote, if it’s deemed invalid your poll is useless.

the first post here is bias.
2) I suspect that this is already allowed for and is thus unnecessary
3) This could lead to the military minister not keeping a good control of the troops. If there are too many units to control there are many people, sir ralph and nye, come to mind, who will provide their assistance and wisdom so as to prevent him from making an obvious error.
4) With the pace of our game there is plenty of time for the minister to study the map and units, so there really is no need for it.
Old July 3, 2002, 20:01   #21
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 19:41
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
We just need a general amendmant that allows for ALL Ministers to appoint aids AS THEY SEE FIT. Why break it down into seperate divisions. Give the power over this to the Ministers, and make some guidelines for how to inform/make official/whatever these aids to the general public.

I am with UnOrthOdOx on this
Old July 4, 2002, 17:56   #22
ThePlagueRat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
1) poll is invalid because of the first post
from the constitution
Unfortunatly, yes...

I would have voted NO to the Constitution ratification.
(if it had not been for my recent visit to the "highcultural" festival in the Viking town of Roskilde, Denmark)
So it was ratified, and we gotta change it! (66% yea, needed)

My reason for being so negative is that I think the Constitution were not consistent and not meditated enough upon. It could have been discussed clause by clause and given some more common sense. I hope our developing minds of the Thinkers Guild will approve to my point here, and figure out some modification proposals for this constitution...

I do not think there is much common sense in demanding unbiased writing in the polls here. Should anyone be able to invalidate polls through their speculataions on other's intentions?
Old July 4, 2002, 18:14   #23
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I miss the abstain option. Although I strongly support aides jobs (generals, province governors, "ambassadors" some way), I feel uncomfortable with the exact amendment skywalker suggested.

I completely agree with Unorthodox : we need a general amendment on aides : every minister could hire aides and fire them as they see fit, and aides could only have competences within the ministry's field of competences.

Unorthodow, as it is your idea, would you mind starting a debate thread on such an amendment ?
Old July 4, 2002, 18:37   #24
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Like Unortho said, if a minister needs help, he can ask. No need to force it upon him. I vote no (that it be required, not that we have them, and have them 'official').
Old July 4, 2002, 19:31   #25
ThePlagueRat
King

So why does it have to be passed as a law then? (in order to be official)
Old July 4, 2002, 19:35   #26
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Our Constitution is the only official document that any issues can be brought up to. Anything 'official' or enforced must go through the Constitution first.
Old July 4, 2002, 19:47   #27
ThePlagueRat
King

And the constitution can be edited too... with a majority of 66%.
So we just have to go through it again! With some more consultation and some more use of common sense.
Am I not right? (OK, first I'll give it a second reading)
Old July 4, 2002, 19:57   #28
Jon Shafer

In 2 weeks, of course.

I just don't think that having peons should be a requirement for a minister. If he gives his orders to the President beforehand, then why should he have aides? There's really no need to force him to have them, IMO.
Old July 5, 2002, 00:35   #29
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

The amendment specifically says the SMC may appoint generals. So he can also handle it all himself if he wants to.

I like this amendment, as it gives both the president and the people the power to kick generals out themselves without going through the SMC.
Old July 5, 2002, 00:50   #30
Jon Shafer

Yes, and... what says you can't appoint aides?
As the old saying goes "if it's not not allowed, then you can do it." Okay, so I made that up, but you get the point.