Old July 23, 2002, 13:52   #31
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 21:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A civver should feel as involed in the game as possible, naming units helps us do so. Ground units probably don't need to be named; there are too many of them and the general public usually doesn't know the names of ground formations in their nations' armies.

But warships are another matter. They are items of national prestige and identity. Many commonfolk know the names of their navy's key warships. Frigates, Ironclads, subs, nuke subs, destroyers, carriers, battleships and cruisers should have names. The default names should run through the list of GLs and then down the city names list.

If your destroyer gets sunk, you may not care. But what if that ship was named after your mother? Hopefully that would elicit a much stronger response.
Old July 24, 2002, 17:21   #32
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 04:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
If your destroyer gets sunk, you may not care. But what if that ship was named after your mother? Hopefully that would elicit a much stronger response.
And what about suicide missions disguised as "heroic attack" for that ship named about mine mother in law?
Old July 24, 2002, 18:41   #33
Sinapus
Warlord

If the rename was optional (as in something in the right-click menu or even a hotkey) that would be fine.
Old July 25, 2002, 01:55   #34
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

I know a number of civvers that would name their ground units, each and every one of the darlings. Personally, I wouldn't. I would like to name them if they did something worthy of it; i.e.: surviving the 15 Barbs that attacked them in one turn. They deserve some recognition.
Old July 26, 2002, 12:26   #35
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
The default name for all unit would be their unit types, like a Battleship would be named Battleship. To give it a custom name, you right click it, and choose "Name Unit". It is that easy.
I estimate it will take up about 5MB of RAM to do that. If we do not allow 'name unit' feature on the workers, we can save a lot of RAM. So, I suggest, if they do choose to put in this feature, don't do it for the workers.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old July 26, 2002, 14:22   #36
Carver
Prince

Actually, watching Bob build a road from Washington to New York could be fun. And your captured foreign workers could have their ethnic names: Pierre clearing the jungle, Tanaka building the mine. Or maybe that's a bit much...
Old July 26, 2002, 20:37   #37
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
It is of course more fun and easier to program if we allow naming on the worker unit. But the fact that there are usually a lot of workers on the map means giving them a 'name' field will take up a lot of resouce.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.