Old July 3, 2002, 23:55   #1
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 22:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Mobile Anti-Aircraft
What would be great in PTW. Is have a land unit be able to intercept enemy aircraft. When I was making and testing my Imperial Missile Trooper The enemy bomber/fighter attacks my unit but the missle trooper does not respond. The new unit ability would be Anti-Aircraft for land and sea units (Hey the Aegius Cruiser did have anti aircraft abbilities in Civ II.) When the enemy aircraft flys by. The Defending unit stand and attacks while the enemy aircraft takes damages (Although the defending unit will take damage also.) Also any chances on 2X attack multiplyer against aircraft making a comeback while the Anti-Aircraft ability is in.
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old July 4, 2002, 01:21   #2
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 03:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great Idea CivFan!
Actually, I have suggested this very thing myself!! Essentially, I felt that it shouldn't be too hard to add an "anti-aircraft" flag to the unit flag list. Such a flag would have 2 effects: 1) increase defense strength against air attacks by either 50% or 100% and 2) Give the unit a bombardment strength and rate against air units ONLY!! I just hope that the Firaxis team have put this flag in for either the patch or PtW!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old July 4, 2002, 01:41   #3
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

That is a great idea, i'm surprised that such a unit has never appeared in a Civ game.
Old July 4, 2002, 01:55   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:44
Why not make it a terrain improvement???

maybe combine it with the airfiels??

damned, now i down 0.02 cents again
Old July 4, 2002, 07:28   #5
zulu9812
King

would it work giving a land unit the 'air superiority' mission and an op range of 4, thus it would intercept within 2 squares?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old July 4, 2002, 15:21   #6
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 21:44
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
That is a great idea, i'm surprised that such a unit has never appeared in a Civ game.
But CTP did have a mobile SAM, see avatar.
Old July 4, 2002, 15:27   #7
CivGeneral
Never Ending StoriesTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 Monty PythonApolyton University
Warlord

CTP and CTP2 are the exeptions. CTP's aircraft moves like the classic units in Civ II. With Civ III's new aircraft missions. It is quite impossible to have a land unit intersept a moving aircraft in the new air missions. Although you can have Air Supperiority enabled but does not intercept an aircraft going from Enemy City A to "My" City B when the Unit with Air Supperiority is in the middle of the route.
"All your base are belong to us" -Cats | "You don't leave an enemy at your back. Not if you like living." - Mara Jade | "You know the first rule in combat? ...shoot them before they shoot you." - Faye Valentine
Old July 4, 2002, 19:03   #8
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Wouldn't it be possible to introduce a few extra lines of code which would make it possible for all anti-aircraft units along an air-units path to get a "Free shot" at it? If so, then you'd need to give these anti-air units a bombardment "range" as well, to determine what constitutes being in the air-units "path".
For me, though, I see anti-aircraft capability in terms of enhancing combined arms tactics! Thus taking the edge off of Air-units superiority (obviously, they would still be quite superior, but their ability to simply "wipe the floor" with land and sea opponents would be somewhat reduced!). If mobile anti-air units (both sea and land) were included, then I'd also love to see a new air-mission called "Wild Weasel", which would allow you to selectively bombard anti-air units, even in a stack, and would negate their extra defense bonus!
Anyway, just my AU$0.04c worth (A$0.02c)!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old July 5, 2002, 01:06   #9
Jezz
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:44
i've been asking for this since day one. It wouldn't require much work, the mechanics are already in the game. Plus, there is one unused flag (post 1.21). x2 defense when bombarded by air units. Simple.