Local Date: November 1, 2010
that's cause lynx doesnt support javascript
Old July 5, 2002, 10:44   #32
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:45
been online just over 6 hours and had one popup.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old July 5, 2002, 10:49   #33
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:45
Mark, replace pop-ups with those interstitials you were talking about.
Old July 5, 2002, 11:20   #34
tniem
King

Local Time: 22:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
Mark, replace pop-ups with those interstitials you were talking about.
Agreed - would that pay all right? I mean once every six hours would not be too bad and I would not have to close a window. I would even take it once every time I get on or every two hours or something. I do not mind interstitials because they go off the screen after a few seconds without me having to take care of them.

Ah I see. So the fact that I am using Ultra light is actually good for you because I have not bought anything off those links. Good to know. When I look at buying something online, I will make sure to click those links to check prices but I usually can find things cheaper at Canadian software vendors because of the US/Canada exchange rate.
Old July 5, 2002, 12:38   #35
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 06:45
BTW, Markos, under Mozilla, I have to adjust zoom level all the time, cause Apolyton looks darn small.
Old July 5, 2002, 15:37   #36
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 03:45
Hey Markos - despite my loathing of pop-ups I can definitely live with the new styles...

SG[1]
Old July 5, 2002, 15:39   #37
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 05:45
good to hear SG1

i assume you dont say cause you use a popup-killer program....
Old July 5, 2002, 19:33   #38
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I like it too. But there appears to be no Light Ultra-Special CtP2 style in the top-of-page drop-down menu
Old July 5, 2002, 20:22   #39
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I shall give it a go, see what it is like...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old July 6, 2002, 02:32   #40
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:45
Light Ultra-Special is now my favourite style!

No more banner ads (that didn't help you anyway)
Old July 6, 2002, 06:11   #41
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

IW, use the links on my first post
Old July 6, 2002, 08:46   #42
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Must admit, I like the new style so far... but then again, I don't think I've had even a single pop-up yet while browsing the forums (I get plenty when visiting the rest of the site/downloading/clicking external links though)...
Old July 6, 2002, 09:50   #43
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Same here, agree with Locutus. Not a single pop-up. No banners, no popups, gotta love it .
Old July 6, 2002, 23:48   #44
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

What am I doing wrong? I got 3 popups yesterday during an undetermined number of hours yesterday. Probably had to do with the fact I changed styles a few times, and also used external links.
Old July 7, 2002, 02:58   #45
Skanky Burns

Markos, would it be possible to make a table listing what each of the styles has regarding features, such as whether buttons on each persons post are text or graphic, or if the last person to reply to a thread is shown?

In a related question, what ULTRA-SPECIAL style allows you to see the name of the last person who posted in a thread?
Old July 7, 2002, 07:44   #46
Solver
lifer
Deity

Skanky - any non-light style, like Default Ultra Special.

Markos: now I've also changed style in my options, no longer using the dropdown menu at front page... and haven't still seen a popup. Yay!
Old July 7, 2002, 10:23   #47
Skanky Burns

Thanks Solver.
Old July 7, 2002, 15:33   #48
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:45
Quote:
you mean on the light style?
well it's supposed to be light
But Mark, couldn't it still be light?

Lets say:

Rate this thread- Disabled
The Little Lights showing who's online- Disabled

however;

Who posted last in which thread- Enabled.

For a certain light using-

I think I'd use it if you'd create it- just a suggestion, you don't have to do it if you don't want to
But I think I'd use It- others may as well.

-
Oh and just to let you know that I'm up on forum updates- I like the Go (N)... as opposed to Go (New) for the news
Old July 7, 2002, 20:58   #49
Skanky Burns

I'd love a style like DC suggests. That would be pretty much perfect for me. And others.
Old July 8, 2002, 21:23   #50
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

well i finally realised that in my effort to make pop-ups not appear on the front forum page(and thus not get an annoying banner on your welcome screen! ) i had made it so that you could get the cookie set but not the banner

now it's fixed
Old July 8, 2002, 21:49   #51
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

here is a reference table for the styles
<table width="100%" border=0 cellpadding=1 bgcolor=#d0d0d0 cellspacing=0><tr><td><table width="100%" border=0 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=1><tr bgcolor=#e0e0e0><th></th><th colspan=2>Appearance</th><th colspan=3>Banners</th><th colspan=4>Style </th></tr><tr bgcolor=#e0e0e0><th>Name</th><th>Heavy</th><th>Light</th><th>2 Top, 1 Bottom </th><th>1 Top, 1 Bottom, 1 Pop-up per 12 hours </th><th>1 Pop-up per 6 hours </th><th>Classic </th><th>Civ3 </th><th>CTP2&nbsp; </th><th>MoO3 </th></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Civ3</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-CTP2</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-MoO3</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap colspan=10>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Special</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Special-Civ3</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Special-CTP2</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Special-MoO3</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap colspan=10>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Ultra Special</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Ultra Special-Civ3</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Ultra Special-CTP2</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Default-Ultra Special-MoO3</b> </td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap colspan=10>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Civ3</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-CTP2</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-MoO3</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap colspan=10>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Special</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Special-Civ3</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Special-CTP2</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Special-MoO3</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap colspan=10>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Ultra Special</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Ultra Special-Civ3</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Ultra Special-CTP2</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff><td nowrap><b>Light-Ultra Special-MoO3</b> </td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle></td><td align=middle>X</td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
Old July 9, 2002, 13:10   #52
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:45
I'm using Civ 3 Ultra Special, and I must say that I like it.
I have a pop-up killer on, so it makes me feel kind of dirty, cheating the system like this though.
And I will miss Hillary lecturing me about Apolyton ware! *sniffles*

Btw, Markos that table looks really really bright
White text on white background. It's probably just IE, but I thought I'd let you know.
Old July 9, 2002, 14:37   #53
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

thank you for killing this site Trip
Old July 9, 2002, 14:48   #54
Solver
lifer
Deity

Markos: Table is very bright, that's one thing.

However, please tell, why have I STILL not seen a single pop-up? Is it the new "Staff Member" style - no banners, no popups?
Old July 9, 2002, 14:55   #55
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

solver, do you have javascript enabled?
Old July 9, 2002, 15:04   #56
Solver
lifer
Deity

Yes, and I do get Apolyton redirect popups and all kinds of popups at other sites.
Old July 9, 2002, 20:20   #57
Skanky Burns

Thanks for the reference table Markos.
Old July 9, 2002, 20:33   #58
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
However, please tell, why have I STILL not seen a single pop-up? Is it the new "Staff Member" style - no banners, no popups?
I must be getting yours. Today when I logged into the main page I got a popup and then on the forum page I got one. First time it has happened since the switch. Not a problem but I think I found your popup Solver.
Old July 9, 2002, 22:09   #59
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I've switched over... and I really like it. No more banners, and I haven't gotten more than 2 pop ads in any given day.

Old July 10, 2002, 04:37   #60
Solver
lifer
Deity

Given that you got to browse for 12 hours to get a third popup, I don't think that even you browse this much usually... I also feel satisfied by 2 popups in my browsing, for 10 or so hours here... but sometimes it's more, still.

In any case, I second Ming's
Quote: